Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Angry Boys
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Format: DVD|Change

on December 1, 2011
If you enjoyed Summer Heights High or any of Lilley's other work, you won't be disappointed by Angry Boys. The series picks up with a (mostly) fresh set of characters, and the ideas keep flowing without feeling recycled. The story even contains more dramatic moments that make you empathize with the characters at times, which only makes the series that much more memorable. Overall, a very entertaining collection worth your time and money if you appreciate Lilley's genius. Solid 5/5.
The comedy genius of Chris Lilley of `Summer Heights High' fame returned with this rocking gem of a series. Chris plays a number of characters including identical twins, Daniel and Nathan Sim. Nathan is going profoundly deaf and reluctantly their mum has decided he has to go to Deaf School. So Daniel decides to throw the most awesomest farewell party ever in the uninspiring backwater where they live called `Dunt'. They also have a guinea pig loving grandmother, who works in a juvenile correction facility and is simply called `Gran, Chris also plays her.

We also get to see the lives of their `Legends', who are all being invited to the party. These heroes are surfing legend Blake Oakfield, African American rapper Schwayne Jr who is also called S.mouse! and has all the intellect of a door mouse and a girlfriend with the best name ever - Lasquisha. Chris Lilley plays both of these too. Then their third `Legend' is skate boarding hero Tim Okazaki, who has inspired his over controlling mother to turn him into a global brand, based on the fact that he is gay and therefore everything is `Gay Style', problem is that Tim is in fact straight. His mum is played by Chris too and is my favourite character in the whole show, but they are all pretty good if not excellent.

There are twelve episodes and the stories are all woven together really well and this is done in a documentary style, with interview pieces to camera as well as action footage. The humour can be quite gross in places especially where the twins are concerned and the language can be quite adult, but I just loved it heaps and was totally stoked by it enough to watch it twice. So if a bit of down under humour is your thing then you won't go far wrong with Angry Boys - oh and the opening titles are great too - ripper!
I'm not sure if I'd prefer to call Chris Lilley an outrageous comedian or a convincing character actor because, truthfully, he is both. Having been a tremendous fan of Lilley's most recent endeavor "Summer Heights High" in 2007, I was eager to look into this new project. "Summer Heights High" had Lilley playing various characters in a mockumentary about a typical Australian high school. The series skewered every conceivable cliche of that world in highly amusing ways and yet still had great heart and warmth. The show won the Australian Film Institute's top prizes for Best Actor in a Television Comedy for Lilley as well as Best Comedy Series. Lilley aims for something much bigger and broader in "Angry Boys." Here, the various plot threads are not confined to one setting but spread across the world! It's an interesting approach but one that isn't as instantly accessible as some of Lilley's other pieces. At first, I had certain favorite characters that I felt stole the show. But as things progressed, the interrelationships started to appear (although tentatively) before Lilley brought everyone closer for the finale.

The eccentric characters that Lilley portrays here include the rambunctious and troublemaking Sim twins (previously seen in We Can Be Heroes), their grandmother who is a tough but fair reform school matron, a ruthless Japanese businesswoman willing to exploit her skateboarding son, a laconic surfer who is still living his boyhood dream despite his adult responsibilities, and a surprisingly successful American rapper. At first, it would appear that these four disparate stories would have little common ground, but Lilley makes each of these diverse character types quite distinctive. The heart of the show has to be the Sim family led by battling twins Nathan and Daniel. There is a mercilessness to their hilarious dysfunction, but genuine feeling underneath it all. And I quite identified with Blake Oakfield, the aging surfer. He may not always have the most colorful comedy segments, but there is a real depth to the characterization. Lilley goes for more shock value with Jen Okazaki and rapper S.Mouse. Of course, having Lilley playing alternate genders and races might already make one uncomfortable (if you are sensitive to such things), but Lilley pushes these storylines beyond good taste to great affect. Okazaki is monstrous, but her sheer selfishness plays so over-the-top that it's hard not to appreciate its outrageousness. And S.Mouse is a fascinating combination of cluelessness and bravado. A poser and wannabe that had an inexplicable hit with the ludicrous "Slap My Elbow," he struggles to reclaim his waning 15 minutes of fame.

"Angry Boys" is comprised of 12 half hour episodes. The characters and stories weave in and out, and not everyone is featured in every individual episode. As I mentioned, some characters will appeal to you more than others as should be expected. With its broader goals, I'm not sure that "Angry Boys" is as instantly addictive as Lilley's other programs, but I appreciated this ambitious scope. It's hard to poke fun at your characters but still give them genuine pathos, and Lilley is an expert at combining the absurd with the real. That's why this stands out. Lilley has an affection for the ridiculousness of the human race. And in that world view, there is a lot to laugh at in these twelve episodes! KGHarris, 10/12.

on December 21, 2013
This is a very quirky but fun series. We were sad when it was canceled. I think the comedic genius of Chris Lilley just isn't understood by all. One of the characters is a skateboarder and his overly controlling mother tells him to "fat fart", which is to say that he must fart so that he doesn't get fat. I have tried this, but it doesn't work in reality. If it did, I would clearly give this product five stars, as I am sick of eating right and exercising.
on February 16, 2012
This is S.Mouse, Smouse, with some very important information,
I want you to get your elbows out and slap them!

Slap my elbow, you do it like this,
Slap my el-bow!

Slap it on the right, slap it on the left,
Check my phone, check my phone, what's your age.
My money is right, my money is right,
My homie in the ghettodays, doin alright.
So slap it up! (Your elbow!)
So slap it up! (Your elbow!)
S.M.O.U.S.E is moving it right,
Not your shoulder or your knees is you elbow aight!

Slap my elbow, you do it like this,

Check my phone, check my phone,
Check my phone, check my phone,
I got an SMS telling me to slap my elbow.
So I slap my el-bow!
Now I'mma show you how to slap my elbow!
You do it like this,
Slap my el-bow!

Step one, put your arm in front,
Step two, get your elbow ready,
Step three, slap it hard!
So slap it hard!

Now everybody!
Slap my elbow, you do it like this!
Just slap!
Slap my el-bow!

Now you know how to slap your elbows,
I want you to keep on slapping,
Whenever you're feeling down alone in your bedroom
And even in the club with your girl, or walking the dog
Get your elbows out kids, and just slap it!
This is S.Mouse, smouse.
Slap it up kids!

I can't wait for this to hit blu-ray in the US
on January 14, 2014
Love, Love, LOVE this series! The worst thing about it is that THIS is it- no more after season 1 :( so, that being said- enjoy every moment of it. Chris Lilley is a terrificly talented Australian comedian and character actor who plays various roles in Angry Boys- all of them ingenious, over-the-top, and strangely familiar... wonderful entertainment, slightly off color and definitely my go-to comedy when I'm looking for a good laugh. The series ending is one of the best I've ever seen on television and makes my heart swell. That's the best part about it, sometimes you don't know whether to die laughing or bust out a tear fest! I wish Nathan, Daniel, Gram, Blake & S'Mouse were real people, because they're awesome, and after watching the series several times, it's easy to get attached. Watch it, become a fan, and then explore Lilley's other performance art.
on August 25, 2013
But what can we expect? Chris Lilley is a MASTER. I think he bit off a little more than he could chew on this one especially because of the cultural references that might be lost on Americans. However, his tiger mom and son are praiseworthy.
The show is of course entertaining and funny, but it is not as good as Summer Heights High. BUT I have to give him credit because who else in their right mind is able to commit to playing so many different characters all at once.
on February 3, 2014
You always think you have seen it all and someone like Chris Lilley presents life via humor in another way. His characters are great (he plays a lot of roles) and the large cast of others are great. This is one of the funniest series we have ever seen. And the entire household was always there and laughing out loud.
on September 18, 2012
I am slapping my elbow already! If you are easily offended this is not the show for you. It has the potential to offend just about anyone. But if you just want to laugh and not take it too seriously this show is a lot of fun. Saw an episode when I was in Australia last year and I was hooked!!