Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th
Customer Discussions > Animal Crossing: New Leaf forum

Animal Crossing 3DS Bundle

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 8, 2013 10:21:22 AM PDT
I noticed that the 3DS bundled with Animal Crossing New Leaf and a "limited edition 3DS" is not available on Amazon. At least, the North American version isn't. Gamestop had it come April up for Preorder. I found it odd.

Anyhow, I don't own a 3DS, but I plan to buy the bundle solely for Animal Crossing. No other games. Totally worth it.

Posted on May 8, 2013 7:19:18 PM PDT
A.S. says:
Amazon carried 3DS's for a short time when the system launched, but then for whatever reason stopped carrying them. You'll notice that only 3rd Party Sellers are selling it now, but not the company itself. ;p

I'm getting the bundle for my sister, since I already have a 3DS. uwu. The 3DS has a lot of fantastic games, though! I'd look into it!

Posted on May 8, 2013 7:52:28 PM PDT
I've actually looked into it. One of my friends who is a huge DS fanatic has tried to convince me to consider other games to no avail. I honestly have no interest in any game for the 3DS except Animal Crossing.

I suppose that's the best answer I'll get about Amazon's discontinuance of the official bundle. Appreciate it!

Posted on May 9, 2013 2:36:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 9, 2013 2:37:12 PM PDT
Rita says:
There was a problem with the 3DS where systems were arriving with scratched screens IIRC. Amazon claimed it was due to a manufacturing issue and Nintendo claimed it was due to a shipping issue. Because of their inability to resolve this disagreement, Amazon ceased all sales of Nintendo consoles.

Posted on May 20, 2013 9:02:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 20, 2013 9:10:12 AM PDT
It's a little bit more involved than that, actually... because Amazon certainly DOES sell Nintendo consoles first-party in Canada, as well as other countries. The only country Amazon does NOT sell Nintendo consoles first-party to is the USA.

The reason goes back to a few months after the 3DS launched, and there are two main stories of how the conflict evolved:

#1: After a very lackluster launch, Amazon was unhappy with the fact that the 3DS consoles were not selling. Their business model depends on Product In-->Product Out, and they are not interested in warehousing mountains of non-selling product. They requested permission to sell the consoles at a discount instead of MSRP. Nintendo refused. Amazon then requested a better wholesale price, to make a better profit on those consoles that WERE selling. (Specifically, they wanted to have Wal-Mart's wholesale price.) Nintendo refused.

Then, Nintendo REALLY made the buyers at Amazon mad when they announced the big "price cut". Remember that? They announced it several weeks ahead of time, which meant that absolutely NOBODY was buying 3DS consoles for that period of time unless they were living under a rock, because everyone knew it was going to be $80 less very soon. Amazon buyers were seething. Mountains of unsold 3DS consoles were piled to the sky, and they'd already contracted to buy ANOTHER mountain of the newly announced Flame-Red model, with the hopes that they were going to be able to sell at a discounted MSRP.

And then Nintendo really cooked the goose when they permitted Wal-Mart (and only Wal-Mart) to sell the 3DS consoles at the newly lowered price (without losing their margin) for three days prior to the price drop.

Sources tell me that THAT was the final straw, and Amazon US has not bought consoles (ANY consoles, Wii, WiiU, nothing!) direct from Nintendo since that day. Occasionally they'll restock them by buying from other third-party wholesalers in small (for them) quantities, but never from Nintendo themselves.

#2 Then there's the "screen-scratching" story. Supposedly, the launch units had some tendencies for flaws and defects. The hinges and bumper pads didn't quite work together the way they were intended, and some of the upper screens wound up getting two parallel scratches from the bottom screen guard getting squashed against it.

Allegedly, Amazon complained to Nintendo that the screen-scratching and floppy hinge issues were costing them a lot of money (from returns, refurbs, shipping back-and-forth, unhappy customers, etc.) and were trying to use that to leverage themselves a better wholesale price. Again, allegedly, they wanted Nintendo to match for them what Wal-Mart pays. Nintendo refused, and then the "price drop" bomb was dropped, and you get the picture.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2013 7:42:02 AM PDT
Hannah says:
Thanks for this informative post, Sarabellum. Poor Amazon! =\ What the hell has happened to nintendo lately?

Posted on Jun 1, 2013 10:10:41 PM PDT
Blitz says:
Nothing has happened to Nintendo. They are easy to deal with but there is just something about Amazon that they are not happy with.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2013 8:53:42 PM PDT
I am inclined to think that everything Sarabellum said is completely logical. Nintendo's treatment of Amazon as a retail partner did not seem to be equal to others. This is almost certainly a Nintendo issue and Amazon has voted with their dollar. Seems smart to me. Blitz, what leads you to believe that Nintendo is easy to deal with?

Posted on Jun 21, 2013 2:16:41 PM PDT
dammer says:
Does anyone know the cause of the totally wrong pricing in the (Nintendo licensed) New Leaf guide?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2013 11:44:48 PM PDT
It's not completely wrong. The numerical values are incorrect in a sense, but it's correct by ratio. Take this into consideration: the townsfolk who buy your things (Tom Nook in previous games, Reese in New Leaf) paid you only a quarter of the original price you paid for things like furniture and the like. Now, taking that fact, that means they're paying 1/4th the price for everything they buy from you. Then apply some consistency the guide would need, and that's why the pricing is like that.
Example: Zebra Turkeyfish sell for like nothing, right? To Reese, like 400 bells. In the guide, it's priced at 1,600 bells. Red Snapper will sell to Reese for 3,000 bells. In the guide, it's 12,000 bells.

There you have it. That's my take on it. If anything, you don't even need to know how much anything sells for. The only reason you'd check is to compare its worth to another item to prioritize pocket space, right? The values are still correct in that sense. Just know that no fish or bug (to my knowledge) sells for anymore than 15,000 bells at its original selling price (meaning excluding premium price and Bell Boom Ordinance price).

Posted on Jun 22, 2013 10:56:04 AM PDT
dammer says:
This is something that should have been explained in the book. A child running into this seeming discrepancy is bound to feel that the game is cheating him.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2013 11:20:12 AM PDT
That's my detailed take on it. It actually is in the book. Turn to page 179. Look in the blue box and check the part about "Value."

"Value: The item's suggested retail value (in Bells). Items typically sell for 1/4th of this value at Re-Tail."

My explanation just expands the description as to why its like that---consistency. Sorry if my responses are more wordy than necessary.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  May 8, 2013
Latest post:  Jun 22, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Animal Crossing: New Leaf by Nintendo (Nintendo 3DS)
4.8 out of 5 stars (1,387)