5.0 out of 5 stars Top Knotch!!!, May 4, 2007
David Colman (Burbank, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Animal Essence the Art of Joe Weatherly (Hardcover)
Throughout history many artists have attempted to tackle the challenge of studying animals from their ecological nature to their anatomical structure, none have ever done it as well as Joe Weatherly. Previously known for his widely popular and highly recommended "Weatherly's Guide to Drawing Animals", "Animal Essence" is the second title to be released by this one of a kind artist. In this new book you will gain insight into Joe's approaches and philosophies in taking on the difficult task of both animal painting and animal drawing. The valuable information is just one of the amazing attributes of this highly anticipated book. A full color hard - bound book with art that explodes off the page. The illustrations are absolutely magnificent and so full of life they almost jump off the page. From the well - executed illustrations to the beautiful paintings, this book is a must have for collectors and artists of all disciplines. Joe is already highly regarded in the animal art community as he is sought out by major collectors and this book is yet another valuable piece of work from this artist. Order yours now so you can be as impressed as I am.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful art and animals, February 2, 2010
Length:: 0:22 Mins

Animal Essence is Joe Weatherly's art book of animal sketches and paintings. He makes animal drawing look fun with his wonderful ink studies and watercolour works. They are really beautiful, as are the animals, and the book is filled with them.

There are some drawing tips scattered throughout but this isn't an instructional art book. He shares interesting information on animals like how you can differentiate African from Asia elephants and show them through drawings, and many other things you might not know about other animals. But for a more thorough animal drawing guide, you'll have to check out his other book, The Weatherly Guide to Drawing Animals.

This is a nice inspirational book for anyone who loves animals.

(More pictures are available on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.)

5.0 out of 5 stars JOE OUTDID HIMSELF THIS TIME!, May 4, 2007
Thomas Silk (Irvine, California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Animal Essence the Art of Joe Weatherly (Hardcover)
This book is absolutely awesome! Joe has really outdone himself this time. This world class artist has shown his work from rough, raw sketches to finished paintings in a way I have never seen before. The animals come alive in rich, full color on quality paper. Joe's extensive research in South and Central America comes to the fore in his paintings. Being an amateur artist myself, I originally bought the book to keep in my library. However, this book is too beautiful to keep on a bookshelf, and is now my prominent coffee table book! It is a "must have" for artists, animal and nature lovers alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its Finally Here!, January 29, 2008
Q. Phan (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Animal Essence the Art of Joe Weatherly (Hardcover)
Joe Weatherly is one of those artists who not only loves to draw and paint, but he also has a passion for teaching. I was lucky to find a mentor and friend through his Animal Drawing classes and demonstrations. I remember having his class one "Rainy" Friday at the SF Zoo, and he showed me his sketchbook. I was blown away by his quick and correct eye. The confidence in his anatomy work showed years of experience and dedication. Now to be able to own a copy of his sketchbook is a real treat. Animal Essence: The Art of Joe Weatherly, is one of my favorite books in my private collection of art books. And will remain there for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelente, February 20, 2014
This review is from: Animal Essence the Art of Joe Weatherly (Hardcover)
Very nice book, nice pictures full of drawings and nice explanations. Good for my library I Will keep it in display

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, January 4, 2014
This review is from: Animal Essence the Art of Joe Weatherly (Hardcover)
I love Joe Weatherly's approach to animal art! The book includes artwork from his sketchbook, and finished works. Inspirational! I highly recommend this to artists and animal lovers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, inspiring art that captures the spirit of the moment., August 23, 2013
This review is from: Animal Essence the Art of Joe Weatherly (Hardcover)
The paintings, and sketches capture the subtle nuances of the moment with beautiful vigorous expressionism that transcends the ordinary and captures the extraordinary.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful and real, June 5, 2013
Painted Dog "blue leopard" (Ocean Shores, NSW, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Animal Essence the Art of Joe Weatherly (Hardcover)
This is a gorgeous book, and generous as well, showing the thought-processes, sketches, and final results of a very gifted artist. The reproductions are crisp and lush. Don't hesitate.

5.0 out of 5 stars For lovers of animal art, this is a Must Have!, March 6, 2012
This review is from: Animal Essence the Art of Joe Weatherly (Hardcover)
Whether you're an artist who loves sketching and painting animals (especially from life), or an animal-lover who enjoys wildlife art, this book belongs in your library. One of the other artists in my sketch group brought this book to show me, and I had to order it immediately from the Amazon app on my iPhone! It is rather expensive, and so I might have been reluctant to make the purchase if I hadn't actually seen the book itself. This book is worth every penny. It's a large format book and a very high quality publication with heavy, glossy pages and excellent color printing. There is a ton of art in it, and all of it is exciting and inspiring. Joe Weatherly does comment about his style and art philosophy too. I know that it's one of those art books I'll keep going back to again and again. I'm thrilled to have this in my library!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy for Artists and Animal Lover alike!, November 28, 2007
Mini Cooper (Santa Clara, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Animal Essence the Art of Joe Weatherly (Hardcover)
Another great book by Joe! The thing that I love about this book is that it is very realistic in an the artists range. He includes actual pages from his sketchbook, showing how every artist, no matter how skilled, has drawings that do and don't work. This makes his level of skill feel so much more attainable for the aspiring artist. He has beautiful paintings and renderings in addition to his energy-filled sketches, depicting his wide range and extreme capabilities with the subject. Animal Essence goes one step farther than The Weatherly Guide to Drawing Animals, in that he goes beyond anatomical studies into the realm of story, color, and mood. Both books work beautifully together in not only introducing the reader to animal art work but also as a teaching tool for those who aspire to achieve great skill in this area. It is a beautiful book and I would recommend it to anyone, artist or not.

Animal Essence the Art of Joe Weatherly
Animal Essence the Art of Joe Weatherly by Elizabeth Macey (Hardcover - April 10, 2007)
$29.99 $22.74