5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful artwork for all/subtle poetry

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment
Published on April 13, 2007 by Eileen Adamo Mullen

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful artwork for all/subtle poetry, December 3, 2007
This review is from: Animal Poems (Hardcover)
Steve Jenkins artwork is lovely, simple, and crisp so that all ages and even some who are visually impaired can enjoy the pictures; the poetry is subtle and thought provoking; having been a math geek, I wasn't sophisticated enough to understand some of this poetry as a child (in some cases, even in highschool) but some of my friends would have with ease so don't rule the book out thinking the poetry is too adult oriented.

Sample: Hummingbird -

Most creatures came the long way, through, slow earth,
But the quick Hummingbird sprang straight from the sun,
Or flew like a spark from the earliest star -
Even now aflicker with the first struck light;
Even now awhirr with the dark's atomic thrum.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love good poetry and beautiful illustrations, February 24, 2015
This review is from: Animal Poems (Hardcover)
If you love good poetry and beautiful illustrations, then this is an awesome choice. We love to read just one or two poems at a time and then think and talk about them. Excellent pick for those with good taste!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, July 23, 2013
Doc W8 "Librarian" (Intermountain West) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Animal Poems (Hardcover)
Poems and pictures that go together, and make the critters come alive. Perfect pairings of colors shapes and verses. Poetry for all ages.

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment, April 13, 2007
This review is from: Animal Poems (Hardcover)
When I learned Steve Jenkins was illustrating a book of animal poetry I immediately pre-ordered the book. After all, my boys, ages 4 and 5, will sit for what seems like hours having me read to them the many animal poems written by Douglas Florian. However, when the book arrived we were only able to get through two poems. Essentially Valerie Worth has written her poems for adults and they are even a bit too esoteric for the average adult reader. In fact, my children seem to enjoy some adult poetry (Billy Collins) more than they likes this one. Still, it is enjoyable picture book for the kids to look at when I don`t have the time to read to them, thanks to Steve Jenkins

Animal Poems
Animal Poems by Valerie Worth (Hardcover - March 20, 2007)
Used & New from: $9.90