5.0 out of 5 stars A Comprehensive and Easy-to-Use Guide
Published on December 15, 2006 by Suzie

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource...but lacks all small mammals!
I love the detail and fantastic photos (life-sized photos of skulls and jaws of the small mammals), but this book does not contain every small mammal...even some that are quite common like Prairie Vole.
Published 8 months ago by Daniel Moss

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Comprehensive and Easy-to-Use Guide, December 15, 2006
This review is from: Animal Skulls: A Guide to North American Species (Paperback)
This is a thorough and well-written book, which goes into great detail about the skulls of each North American mammal species, in addition to having a section on birds and reptiles/amphibians. The first several chapters, which I found surprisingly readable given the technical subject matter, are devoted to identifying skull bones and landmarks as well as interpreting the function and meaning behind various skull features, determining age and sex, and even obtaining, cleaning and preparing your own animal skulls. What I found most helpful in this book were the real-life sized illustrations of both skulls and jaws, which the author conveniently locates in one section of the book, for easy comparison. I was amazed at how easy it was to identify skulls I had found in years past- skulls that I had spent hours attempting to identify using information pieced together from the internet and other sources. This book is not only incredibly thorough and rich with information, but also well-organized and easy to understand, with helpful diagrams and plenty of beautiful, detailed illustrations. Overall, it is an excellent book that I will be sure to refer back to many times in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a Real Guide to Skulls, December 11, 2006
A complete book on skulls was not available until this one was so beautifully put together. Elbroch introduces the rather complex study of skulls in such a way that anyone can easily learn the language and terms to more precisely discuss and understand their many and varied features. He goes well beyond simply identifying what species a given skull is from and delves into functions of structures of the skull, how they change with age as well as how they compare with those of other species (not to mention variations found within a given species). Mammals (and their jaws, 188 in all), birds (71), amphibians and reptiles (13) are covered in great detail within the 700+ pages of this book. Clear color prints, drawings and heaps of data round out what I believe to be the most comprehensive guide of its kind. Well done Mark and well worth the cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource!, February 26, 2007
Linda (Duvall, Washington) - See all my reviews
Outstanding book...wonderful photos of animal skulls...I was able to identify a fragment of a skull that I found by using this book. I know that it's the upper jaw of a house cat instead of a bobcat because of the small premolar tooth that bobcats and lynxes never have, cougars and ocelots always have, and house cats sometimes have. Should be on every naturalist's bookshelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, February 19, 2009
JRH (Hays, KS USA) - See all my reviews
I am a college student majoring in Wildlife Management. Identifying skulls is a very important skill for any biologist to have. This book gives a good introduction to the bones of the skull and how to measure the different regions of the skull. I wish that I would have had this book last semester while I was taking Mammalogy because we spent a vast amount of time learning to identify skulls. Larger animals are relatively easy but when you are dealing with small rodents, bats, or shrews... identifying the skulls can be a daunting task to someone without the knowledge or experience. There is a good representation of many of the mammal skulls of North America, as well as a fair amount of bird skulls. There were only a couple things that I found somewhat lacking in the book. There were only a handful of reptile/amphibian skulls in the book, however there were enough for someone unfamiliar to the skulls to get a general feel of the shape and form. Also, I would have liked to have seen some fish skulls displayed. Overall though, a great book and possibly the best addition to my personal library that I have made.

5.0 out of 5 stars An instant classic!, January 7, 2007
This is the book that trackers and naturalists have needed for a long time. It's finally here and it's outstanding! Now when I take apart an owl pellet I'll be able to determine what the owl was eating, and hence what small wildlife is abundant in that area. And when I'm out and discover part of a skull from a mammal, bird, amphibian, or reptile, I'll be able to find what that is too. Mark Elbrock has done it again: an instant classic, and a book that all trackers and naturalists should have in their collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Animal Skulls, A guide to North American Species, January 11, 2007
The Best skull identification book ever written.

A must have book for all Biologists,teachers,schools,collectors and museums of natural history.

5.0 out of 5 stars Animal Skulls, November 28, 2007
This is an excellent book for the serious amateur or expert. Great line drawings and photos accompanied by concise information on each type of skull.

5.0 out of 5 stars Animal Skulls, February 25, 2008
Clay R. Davis (Lakewood, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This is a great book. The review in the August 2007, Journal of Mammalogy is spot on. Consider it an expert treatment on the skulls of many (but not all) North American mammals. I'm unsure of the value of the short treatments of birds, reptiles, and amphibians. I consider this money well spent and am sure I will refer to the excellent photographs and illustrations often over the years.

5.0 out of 5 stars animal skulls, March 4, 2012
WOW! I am taking a Wildlife Management & Ecology course at my college, and we are going through a section on skull identification. This book is wonderful! There is so much information on all kind of skulls across North America. I go to college in upstate New York and all the animals we deal with from this region are covered, but I am planning on doing an internship out west, and this book will travel with me, as it is packed full of skulls from animals all over the U.S.

5.0 out of 5 stars Museum quality, January 12, 2012
Traveler (Cody, WY USA) - See all my reviews
I work in a natural history museum lab preparing animal specimens for study. We have only a few reference books and this is one of them. I think that says it all about this wonderfully inclusive and complete book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Animal Skulls: A Guide to North American Species
Animal Skulls: A Guide to North American Species by Mark Elbroch (Paperback - November 21, 2006)
$46.95 $33.80