Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Animals in Spirit: Our faithful companions' transition to the afterlife
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on February 5, 2008
Penelope Smith's most recent book, "Animals in Spirit", is a beautiful, heartfelt, and sensitive guide to animals' perspectives on the death and dying process, as well their experiences in the spiritual dimension after leaving the physical body. In sharing her communications with her own animal companions, those of her clients, and in the wonderful contributions of experiences from many other animal communicators and their clients, Penelope addresses the experience of death from the animals' viewpoints, and also sensitively discusses the grief process for the animals' human companions. I especially loved the section on reincarnation, and the various ways that animals may choose to return to their people in a different body. This book made me laugh, cry, and rejoice at the variety and depth of animal wisdom concerning death. It opened my heart to deeper places of love and trust that love never dies, and to the knowledge that the energy of the connection with our animal friends is eternal.

I would highly recommend this book for anyone who has loved and lost an animal. There is a wonderful exercise for helping people to connect with the spirits of their animal friends who have died, as well as a beautiful grief and memorial ritual contributed by animal communicator Barbara Janelle. Throughout, the heartwarming communications from the animals to their human friends assures us that death is most often a natural transition for animals to a different state of being, without the fear and cultural baggage that we humans so often associate with it. In this, the animals are our teachers, as they show us how to accept the death process as a part of the eternal continuum of life.

My favorite passage in the book is at the very end, in a poetic inspiration that came through Penelope, which states, in part: "Flow with spirit, ever-changing in its guises. See the wildflowers bloom and die and give their seeds to the Earth. Nothing ever really dies or fades. Everything dissolves into unity and flows into another sea or shower or puff of air". As I experience the love and connection with my own animal friends, both in form and in spirit, I am so grateful for all that the animals have to teach us about love, life, and death.
11 comment|103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 15, 2008
This book is helping me cope with the loss of my cat. It explains so well why animals choose their passing, why they are here in our relationships, and best yet that they are still around us after passing.
A book for anyone that has helped an animal or has had a animal transition in their lives this is the book to read. The stories in it helped to heal my heart from the recent experience of helping my soul-mate cat PC (Perfect Cat) transition. Deeply moving and a well written book.
on June 27, 2009
Simply a beautiful book, that has more specific information about the purpose for pets being in our lives, how they feel about us and what happens next than any other book I have read. If you have had a incredibly deep connection with your animals - this book will help you realize why that is so and the importance in our own spiritual growth. I am still grieving the loss of two of my dogs from years ago, though the book made me cry numerous times - it was incredibly comforting. This book will validate that you were correct, your dog, cat, bird all have wonderful souls and are here to teach, heal and love us and guides us how to connect to them in their afterlife.
on August 31, 2015
I read this book several years ago after I lost my spunky Jack Russell. I was especially devastated because of how I'd lost my beloved dog. We live out in the country, and in front of my other dogs, we believe he was caught by either a coyote or a bobcat. Cries were shortly heard from the backyard and then complete silence. We never found him, but know that an animal got him.

I was wrought with grief. Losing a pet without any type of expectation, let alone in what felt like such a gruesome way, only increased my grief. Instead of focusing on how he lived and all the joy and comic relief he brought to our lives, I could not seem to stop focusing on HOW he died. I struggled so much with the fact that his final moments must have been so frightening and scary. This really upset me. So I was seeking out some comfort.

Reading this book helped me heal so much. It still took a long time before I could think or talk about my beloved dog without choking up. But now I am ok. I miss him, but I know that HE is ok, and also that the way he left this world was part of his spiritual journey. I cried throughout reading the book, but it was a cathartic process. I understood that likely Sammie's final moments were frightening, but also that it must have happened so quickly, it felt like a dream. And that God's goodness would never allow a spirit to endure too much of that, and likely his spirit jumped from his body before everything was finished physically. In the days after Sammie died, I am 100% certain I saw a reflection of him in a window even though there was no dog standing there to have a reflection.

I am a very spiritual person and very open to learning about the afterlife, so this concept was not new to me. But it still helped me to process what had happened so much. On a side note, I read an excerpt in this book that discussed allowing a beloved pet, if possible, to lie in state for a while in your home or where they died. It's a way to honor the animal, and also allows other family members (people and pets) to accept that the soul has left the body and that the body was simply a temporary shell carrying that spirit. It brings a sense of healing.

I had never done that before and obviously would not have had the opportunity to do that with my Jack Russell. However, 4 years after reading this book, another beloved dog just passed away, by my side, at home and on her own terms. I remembered reading this book and decided to do this. So I left my recently deceased pet lying on her dog bed in the living room, where she had passed. I put her on fresh blankets, packed her little body with a few ice packs just to be on the safe side and covered her with beautiful blankets. My significant other was out of town for the evening, and I wanted him to be able to see her and see how peaceful she was when she passed. Literally all of the distress she had on her face minutes before passing left when she finally crossed over, leaving her looking completely peaceful.

I dressed her dog bed with lots of fresh flowers. I refreshed her ice packs and flowers a few times over about 24 hours. This process was both healing for me, my significant other and our other dogs. All of the dogs visited the room, sitting in front of her bed, smelling her face, realizing she was gone. They spent a lot of time sitting with her and you could tell they were sad and grieving, too. I continued to sit with her during that time on/off, petting her and talking to her, thanking her for her companionship. I am sad that she's gone, but know she's ok now and she is free from the old body that was starting to give her so much trouble. Going through this process with her over the 24 hours after she died and before we buried her was very sacred and special. Much of the time over that 24 hours we have soft, peaceful music playing...the same music we had playing as she passed away.

So this book continues to provide guidance in my life as I just followed this process and think I will continue to do this -- it was that healing and peaceful.
on April 27, 2009
This book has offered comfort in the midst of feeling overwhelmed and distraught over the very recent loss of our beautiful 12-year old Golden Retriever "Max." I was actually searching for another book on the topic of dealing with pet loss when I ran across this one. I knew there was a spirit world for our precious friends, but this book answered many of the questions I had been asking, and showed me how to communicate to my beloved dog. I only wish I would have found the book a little sooner, before he passed vs. afterward.
on March 8, 2009
Very well written, and really opened my eyes about the spirit world. I always believed in the spirit world, but after reading this book, and communicating with our dearly beloved cat who passed on to the spirit world, I now KNOW there IS a spirit world.

Anyone who has had a pet pass on to the spirit world, should read this book.

I will definely buy more books written by Penelope Smith in the future.
on March 22, 2010
This is an excellent book if you have an aging animal living with you. Our cat was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He was a cherished family member. I took a day off of work to stay with him near the end of his life and sat with him on my lap reading this book. It really helped me through the acceptance of his coming death and through the grieving process. I would highly recommend this for all pet owners.
on July 30, 2010
I think this book is terrific! I was having some trouble getting thru the loss of my pet, even 4 years later. This book helped me tremendously! (Although I did cry through the first half of the book.)
on July 28, 2011
This is a MUST read if you just lost a pet. I had purchased another book with too much religious undertones which did not help me (and returned back to the store) when I lost my beloved dog. This book was just what I needed to be comforted during this most difficult time in my life. I could not put it down and read it every day to get through the day without my buddy. Knowing that he had a purpose in life and my life and is in a much better place was a great comfort while I was grieving. Ms. Smith beautifully shares her experiences with her own beloved pets as they transitioned from this life to the afterlife as well as others to help you through your grief.