Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Animals
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$3.99

on January 31, 2000
Well, it's near impossible to find this book, but look long and hard and you'll score it like I did! This is a very different take on the werewolf novel, just a great well-written book all around....Vivid characters, story, plot, EVERYTHING! This is the last effort from Skipp and Spector, after The Light At The End, The Cleanup, The Scream, Deadlines, and The Bridge, and like all of those books, this one is a 10 on a scale of one to FIVE! FIND IT!
on June 13, 2016
Let me start out by saying that I'm a fan of the Skipp and Spector writing duo and the Splaterpunk genre. My first book by them was Light at the End, which was absolutely fantastic. So their subsequent books that I read had really high expectations. I really enjoyed Animals. It had some brutal parts, erotic parts, and sometimes while at the same time. The characterization was good too but I felt like it could have been fleshed out more. More like a 4.5 but I went with a 4 because, while I really liked it, the book didn't grab me as much as Light at the End. Still worth your time. If you haven't read them before, give them a try. You won't be disopointed. Matt
on July 29, 1998
An ordinary guy meets an extraordinary woman and gets taken for a ride (in more ways than one). Between the viscious Nora, her bloodthirsty and jealous ex-boyfriend, and a second, far more virtuous woman, our hero comes to learn the difference between what is simply wild, and what is truly evil.
on September 16, 2014
I've seen some very good reviews of this one and some not so good. I'm definitely one of the good ones. I've read just about everything from this pair of writers and have always liked them. There work is gory and not always quite PC but it has power and drama.

This one is a werewolf novel. It's not a typical example, though, because it spends quite a bit of time with the werewolves in their human forms, and is really more about their relationships than about throwing a scare into the reader. If I'd known that ahead of time I might have been biased against it. I'm glad I didn't because the writers gave me what I wanted even if I wasn't quite sure I wanted it before I started. We also get something else that I like, and that is I began to feel empathy and sympathy even for the villains before the story was through.
on November 15, 2014
This is easily one of the best werewolf stories ever. I love this book. It is not for the faint of heart, definitely for adults. But it's depth and dedication to itself makes it so awesome, and a prime example of why Hollywood pales so much in comparison to the power of good storysmiths. Skipp and Spector have written a masterpiece here and every werewolf fan should read it. I actually liked it more the second time around, switching back and forth between the kindle and audible versions with whispersynch. Highly recommended!
on April 25, 2012
Skipp and Spector have been favorites of mine since the release of "The Light At The End" oh-so-many years ago. Their visceral style, eccentric characters and traditional-story-gone-sideways plots were refreshingly different in the sea of horror novels that flooded the shelves on the coattails of Stephen King's success. I was incredibly happy to see a couple of Skipp/Spector collaborations that I had missed available as e-books, and dove straight into "Animals" as soon as I had it loaded on my Kindle.

The presentation of the e-book is much cleaner than the last one I purchased. The typos are there, but there are much fewer of them. I really wish there were page numbers for this book, however.

The story revolves around Syd Jarrett, a down-and-almost-out, newly-divorced 35-year-old in a dying rural Pennsylvania steel town. To try and cheer himself up, he heads to a local club, and gets picked up by Nora, a wild, beautiful woman with a dark secret... and a murderous boyfriend on her trail.

The first half of the book does an outstanding job of fleshing out Syd and Nora as they enter into a wild affair of sex, booze and "awakenings." Skipp and Spector guide the reader through their emotional tornado with remarkable skill, and end the opening act with a bang.

The end of the book is vintage Skipp/Spector, an NC-17 roller coaster ride through a nightmare hurricane of blood, meat and death. It almost (but not quite) wraps things up satisfactorily. Almost.

The middle of the book is where everything just disintegrated. I'm not sure if the authors left things to the end of the story for the sake of suspense, or if they meant to flesh them out in the body of the tale and just ran out of time (or energy), but it leaves the middle feel weirdly unfinished. A "surprise" twist is fumbled badly, as Skipp/Spector drop FAR too many breadcrumbs; when the revelation comes, it's less of a surprise, and more of a relief ("It's about time that happened" was my exact thought).

I liked this book, but I COULD have loved it. It's a horrible shame the the collaboration of the authors came to a close; I would have liked for them to come back and finish "Animals" and make it the book I know it should have been,
on March 30, 2010
This is an awesome book and I recently found out that a movie has been made. The release date is June 15, 2010. The cast is amazing and includes actors such as Eva Amurri (Californication) and Naveen Andrews (Lost). I had the opportunity to prescreen the movie and it was well done. Make sure to check your local retailers; Blockbuster, BestBuy, Netflix, Walmart, and Redbox around the second week of June.

Here is some info about the film: [...]

*Sponsored Post
on February 18, 2011
I read this book long ago in paperback ,and now in kindle( just because I love Skipp/Spec).
The second read was way better(with age?!?!?!.)
Good job!!!
I WANT MORE SKIPP/SPECTOR BOOKS AVAILABLE IN KINDLE!!!!

Thank you.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 25, 2014
This is the second book I've read by this author duo and I thoroughly enjoyed both of them. The first was "The Cleanup" and liked it so much I read it again a few years later. There are definitely not many books I can say that about!
The authors have a gift of superb imagination coupled with a finely developed command of the English language which results in a great story that avoids being sophomoric.
I highly recommend it to fans of the supernatural, as well as a good love tale. I hope they keep on writing!
on January 6, 2000
This was Skipp & Spector's last work, and it's a bit uneven to me. I liked it, but it didn't inspire me the way The Scream or Light at the End did. It felt... unfinished, to me, as if there were something more that should have been done but wasn't.
However, it's still excellent by most standards, fast paced and fun to read. It only pales in comparison to some of their earlier works.
For an interesting comparison, read this and then read Nancy Collins' Wild Blood. Two takes on the same theme.