Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL
Customer Discussions > Princess Mononoke forum

Anime is Dead!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 7, 2009 12:12:13 PM PDT
J. O. Booker says:
The Almighty American Dollar killed anime. I remember the good old days when I discovered anime. I saw anime in my local blockbuster all the time, but out of ignorance and prejudice that cartoons were kids stuff, I always passed up the anime section. This was in the mid 90's, way way before anyone had even heard of anime. In fact, 100% of video stores and video rental outlets only carried the VHS format. My only exposure to anime had been the Speed Racer episodes I'd seen as a kid back in the mid 70's. So, when I'd casually glance at a video box in a video store Speed Racer, Ultraman, or Johnny Sokko would come to mind--in other words, kids stuff.

One day, I happened to follow a customer--I'm a cab driver--into a small hole-in-the-wall video store that was literally paneled with used VHS movies and old Sega and PS1 video cartridges. A stocky white fellow who looked like a hippie stood behind the counter. Behind and above him, I saw some of the "cartoons" I'd seen in Blockbuster; they were only $5 so I bought a couple, Wicked City and Mad Bull #1. From that point, I was hooked and I went back to that video store and bought the original Fist of the North Star. Back then, Streamline was the big anime company with all the hot titles. I started buying every anime on the old Streamline trailer: I bought Akira and Tales of the Wolf. I went on Easter egg hunts for the hard to find titles like Neo Tokyo and the original Vampire Hunter D. I found both of these titles at Uncle Leonards, a small mom and pop video store/pawn shop on the other side of town (I live in St. Louis,Mo.). Back then, anime was a novelty and didn't have its own video store section or film category. Anime was a gypsy you'd find mixed in with action, drama, thriller, foreign, and even children's sections. The big stores like blockbuster ignored anime altogether. Best Buy was a baby back then. Amazon was an experiment back then. The best places to hunt down anime were pawn shops, comic book shops, or the small mom and pop video stores that have since become extinct.

Those days were the good old days of anime. There was so much fun and variety and character. Back then, anime let it all hang out and wasn't a bit shy about being cheesy, over-the-top, derivative (a la Fist of the North Star and The Road Warrior), and JAPANESE. Anime had a style and an attitude that American animation--with its talking teapots, spoons, elephants, mice, etc--lacked. I became an anime crack-head. I'd burn so much gasoline--back then, I drove a '73 Oldsmobile 98 sedan--that I'm ashamed to confess to. When Saturday Matinee and Suncoast opened, I didn't know how to act. Every Tuesday, you could find me at either store like a fiend, gambling my hard-earned money on blind anime selections i.e. anime based on the art on the box. After a while, and thousands of dollars, I got my selections down to a science and started using the same process that I used in selecting live action films: I started selecting anime by directors. Discovering Cowboy Bebop on a whim led me to Macross Plus and Escaflowne, both of the same directorial team of Shinichiro Watanabe and Shoji Kawamori. Discovering Wings of Honneamise led me to Neon Genesis Evangelion, both by Hideaki Anno. Wicked City led me to Ninja Scroll, Akira led me to Neo Tokyo, Fist of the North Star led me to Vampire Hunter D, Cyber City Oedo, and the Cockpit. I could pop off the names of GOOD anime directors all day. Go Nagai, Yasuomi Umetsu, Mahiro Maeda, etc. But where are they today? Today, unfortunately, most of these directors' names pop up in the end credits of Hollywood cgi-heavy films. Shame.

Posted on May 28, 2009 7:24:43 PM PDT
Serdna says:
Yea right dude. There are some great recent anime releases. Ever heard of Death Note, Naruto, Bleach or D Gray Man? Anime these days are much more entertaining. There is alot more variety now too as opposed to in the past when 99% of animes just had giant fighting robots.

Posted on Sep 4, 2009 8:07:03 PM PDT
semore butts says:
Some series I really enjoyed are Cowboy bebop, ghost in the shell and Samurai champloo. Not sure what kind of anime you like but these were pretty good for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2009 5:15:15 PM PST
Solidus says:
Yeah I'm glad all those lame giant robot anime like Gurren Lagann and Code Geass are a thing of the past... OH SH-

Posted on Mar 13, 2010 9:55:32 PM PST
Yeah, hunting down VHS tapes at hole in the wall stores....that must have been a thrill! Excuse me while I add a slew of remastered series on DVD and blu-ray to my amazon cart for a fraction of what those tapes cost.

Posted on Mar 25, 2010 4:02:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 25, 2010 4:06:48 PM PDT
Mary Wagner says:
I think anime is dead too. It's been so long since I've seen one that I actually want to watch. Gone are the days of Vampire Hunter D, Hellsing, Trigun, Escanflowne, and Rurouni Kenshin.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2010 9:47:15 AM PDT
You do realize that Naruto and Bleach are children's TV shows in Japan. He is right in that anime has no content anymore. Its either all confusion or boobanime. Fanservice seems to be the way to go. The art is definitely not gone, but the likes of Bebop, Akira and Ghost in the Shell will only sneak through every once in a while. Haven't had one sneak through since Serei No Moriboto.

Posted on Aug 14, 2010 1:48:43 PM PDT
D. A. Silva says:
Well, certainly the fanservice and ecchi anime is putting a lot of issues on the anime industry. But, there are still some pretty good anime titles out there and still to come, examples are Bakemonogatari, Eden of the East, RIN, just to name a few. I think it has a lot of individual liking to me. Yeah, shows like Cowboy Bebop, Akira and Ghost in the shell are praised a lot, but lets face it, those shows are from ten years ago. And they weren't targeted to children or anyone below 22-25 years old. If you liked these shows I recommend, go out there and do your search for simmilar anime on that specific gender. But you are right, sooner or later anime will suffer a lot from this ecchi thing, and some studios and directors are starting to pay serious attention to this matter.

Posted on Sep 9, 2010 9:05:48 PM PDT
Mike Schmitt says:
Yeah, anime is dead ever since fans aren't forced to pay $29.99 for single VHS tapes containing 2 episodes of a show, dubbed-only. *rolleyes*

Posted on Apr 3, 2011 9:04:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 3, 2011 9:27:40 PM PDT
S. Curran says:
Anime seems to be doing well on There's a ton of it on there. With a huge variety, genre wise. Some of Anime Network's shows are on there now, as well.

I recommend shows like: Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Mushi-Shi, Kino's Journey, Oh! Edo Rocket, Canaan, Soul Eater, Fullmetal Alchemist, Blood+, Nana, His and Her Circumstances (one of Hideaki Anno's shows), Ghost Hunt, Kaze no Stigma, Fruits Basket, Black Butler, Hell Girl, Darker Than Black, etc.

They even have "The Castle Of Cagliostro" movie on Hulu. That movie was written and directed by Hayao Miyazaki.

Posted on Apr 30, 2011 8:10:40 AM PDT
Anime is dead? I respectfully disagree. There's more than four hundred titles in numerous genres, as here:

I've only seen FLCL, Metropolis, Princess Mononoke, Summer Wars, and the 80s Astro Boy, but they're all pretty good. I highly recommend checking an anime from the library, if they have it, because then you can see if it's so good you just gotta buy it. I hope to see more anime and increase my list of recommendations.

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 2:21:00 PM PST
Personally, I disagree. Anime is alive and well. Here's my proof: Steins;Gate, Mirai Nikki, Gundam Unicorn, Summer Wars, Anything by Miyazaki, RIN, Bakemonogatari, Death Note. These all are very provacative and make you want to watch them, or are very good, original stories.

In fact, many people I've asked about it say they've all seen some anime, and are curious about it. Just because it's in a lull, and the majority of anime is lowbrow, doesn't mean it's dead. If I reacted like that in response to the quality drop of some industry, I'd have declared the car industry dead by the mid 80s.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 8:25:56 AM PDT
Check out Ano Hana. I think while fighting and action anime may have gone down alot, they are opening up a bit in terms of character stories in the slice of life category. This series is definately my favorite thing since the Rurouni Kenshin/Yu Yu Hakusho age. I agree we need more Ghost in the Shell type serious programs, but unfortunately due to the waning interest in anime globally, the younger audiences are really the only for sure markets they have these days.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 5:35:47 AM PST
The anime that got me interested in the medium was Serial Experiments Lain. Then I found out it's unlike anything else in the medium (with exception to the late Satoshi Kon's work). A big chunk of it looks like cutesy kids stuff or basic teen action romps saturated with Japan's national pride. That's all well and good and it's fresh when you're seeing something like Inuyasha for the first time. After almost 17 years of following the medium though, I've become disillusioned with it. The big three have overstayed their welcome with drawn out plots with no concise conclusion in sight. The top rated stuff have cliches instead of compelling characters. The best animes are few and far between, and I don't understand the huge sub culture (that I helped build) anymore. I hesitate to call Miyazaki anime, because his works are unique and distinctive. It ain't dead, it's just stagnate. Too many works just rehashing the same formulas over and over and not enough visionaries and rebels like Yoshitoshi aBE, Satoshi Kon, and Chiaki J. Konaka.

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 11:11:05 AM PST
i think i know what u mean. anime is not dead its just harder to find quality stuff like cowboy bebop or macross, u have to shift through a lot of fan service and echi. anime is not a genre its a format like any book or movie. i thought stuff like appleseed, high school of the dead, elfen lied, infinite stratos and rideback were pretty good. as for stuff like naruto come on thats kids stuff ppl i wouldnt compare that to akira lol its like comparing schindlers list to porkys.

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 5:55:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 1, 2013 5:58:36 AM PDT
Actually that was a very interesting observation, and still bares some thought (even though the original post was made in 2009). For old timers who were there at the start of the anime boom in the 80's and 90's when anime became easier to acquire beyond knowing someone who had access to fansubs, or finding it at local conventions from that one dealer in the far back table. It could very well seem that anime is dead. Thing was before it become popular there was a whole back catalog of stuff to catch up on. A decade at least. Just like all things, the good stuff stays around the bad stuff is forgotten, and don't forget "90% of everything is crap." Being able to have 10 to 15 years of just the good stuff makes it appear that the old stuff was all good, but as a foreigner chances are you never see all the crap in the first place. And because each title was fresh and unknown, it seemed like nirvana. Now, of course after catching up, people become a bit more discerning, and more obscure stuff still trickles through. Only titles that companies believe stand a chance of a wide audience are going to get licensed so some really good stuff is not making it to these shores. Consider that even some of the classics from days gone by have never been officially licensed. Things like Rose of Versailles, or Legend of the Galactic heroes. I don't even think Macross 7, or Macross Zero got picked up by a domestic distributor (could be wrong). This is one of the primary reasons I think fansubbing serves a purpose. The days when companies were snatching up anything and everything is gone for good. And for people who have niche tastes, anime might truly appear to be dead. Where is the new Kimigure Orange Road, or Akira? It does seem that when Japanese producers started to realize that anime was popular in the West and started making anime to appeal to that audience a bit of the uniqueness of the medium started to dissipate. The economic crash in Japan also hurt the industry. I don't think it's dead, but even I find it hard to become exited about a lot of stuff the way I once was.

Posted on Jun 1, 2014 2:45:47 PM PDT
Tessa says:
No anime is not dead..good anime might be. Anime, at least U.S. releases has become more ecchi, mostly about high school, full of bad plot and vapid characters. Yes, diversity seems to be dead in the anime world when you compare today with yesterday. But once in awhile something good manages to get a license. But it is interesting that someone had these thoughts in 2009. And, thanks to technology we can still watch those good older anime like Fists of the North Star, Mad Bull, Master Keaton, Princess Nine, and there is still a lot I have yet to see. That is a good thing a least.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Princess Mononoke forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Apr 7, 2009
Latest post:  Jun 1, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Princess Mononoke
Princess Mononoke by Hayao Miyazaki (DVD - 2000)
4.7 out of 5 stars (1,511)