[Edited to emphasize that this hub was tested on my USB *3.0* port.]

I installed this Uspeed USB 3.0 7-port hub on my Windows Vista Home Premium system. It was very easy, works right out of the box.

SPEED

I tested this against a USB 2.0 10-port hub I own and the results were as follows:

** Transferring a 1.71 GB movie file to Western Digital My Book Essential 2 TB USB 3.0/2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive via the USB 2.0 hub: 1 minute, 6 seconds.

** Transferring a 1.71 GB movie file to the external hard drive via the Uspeed 3.0 hub: 26 seconds.

Both hubs were connected to a Plugable PCI Express to SuperSpeed USB 3.0 port. The difference in speed is significant.

POWER

Whereas my USB 2.0 hub could function without a power adapter when attached to a powered USB port, this USB 3.0 hub could not. It must be plugged into an outlet or no USB devices attached to it will work. Keyboard, mouse, fingerprint sensor, flash drive, headset, external hard drive -- no-powered, low-powered, self-powered -- the computer cannot see them unless the hub is plugged into the outlet.

When it's plugged in, this hub will charge USB devices even when the computer is off. That makes it a handy USB charging station. It's how I charge my Kindle Fire overnight.

COMPATIBILITY

I plugged in my USB 2.0 flash drive into this hub and it works. I plugged the hub into a USB 2.0 port. It works. This Uspeed USB 3.0 hub is compatible with all my 2.0 devices and ports.

LOGITECH

I know the product description says Logitech devices do not play nice with the hub. That had me a little worried, because I own all manner of Logitech devices. But not to worry. I have my Logitech mouse, Logitech keyboard and Logitech headset all hooked up to this hub right now. Everything works, no problem.

_____________________

PROS:
+ 7 USB ports
+ very fast transfer rates
+ compatible with Logitech devices
+ charges devices when computer is off
+ backwards compatible with 2.0 USB ports and devices

CONS:
- must be plugged into an outlet to work
- seven very bright, blue LED lights (only light up when port is active)

_____________________

OVERALL IMPRESSION

I love the increase in speed. Believe me, it's noticeable. This Uspeed hub plays nice with my computer and all my devices, no problems at all.

This product was provided for review by Laptopmate.
______________________

UPDATE 4/24/12: After using this hub for a few days, I have noticed one problem. Occasionally, some of the ports turn off and stop communicating with the computer. In order to reset them, I must take out the power plug and plug it back in. This happens with or without my Logitech devices. Laptopmate sent me a second unit that also behaves the same way. They have concluded it is the overload protection stepping in to turn off the ports. The way I use this hub, I consider it a minor inconvenience. It doesn't happen every day and it's easy to fix. It is an inconvenience all the same and may be more of a concern for those who rely on the hub to be always on, so I will adjust my rating from five stars to four stars.

UPDATE 5/12/12: I continued to try different tactics to fix my problem until finally, I tried plugging my hub into a different USB port on my computer. That seems to have done the trick. I did not think it was the port. My controllers were set to not turn off the device. Nevertheless, ever since I switched ports, I have not had any problems. Right now, I'm connected to now is a USB 2.0 port. I am going to install a different USB 3.0 port and try this hub on the new port later. For now, I will update the star rating to reflect my original opinion. It is a five star product.

UPDATE 6/12/12: From a comment I received, it appears unclear, so I will emphasize that the USB port was tested and reviewed on a USB 3.0 port. It was after some problems that I moved the product to a USB 2.0 port. The problems were unrelated to the hub. They were caused by the port, so that is why I rate this product 5 stars.

UPDATE 10/14/12: The above review is for the old version. The seller gave the updated version the same ASIN#. I will be reviewing the new version soon and amending this review shortly after.

UPDATE 10/27/12: The new and improved hub looks just like the old one but with two upgrades:

1) The power adapter was changed from 12V 2A to 12V 3A. What this means is it's better for charging high power devices. I always try to charge my tablet on devices with higher amps, because it charges more quickly.

2) It includes the latest VIA VL812 chip. The manufacturer claims it runs cooler, more efficiently and has broader compatibility. It's definitely cool to the touch, and I am impressed with the compatibility.

Remember my problem above with the Plugable PCIE USB 3.0 port? I have had absolutely no problems using this new and improved 7 port hub with that port. Wonderful! Now, I can plug my hub into that port and take full advantage of this hub's 3.0 capability.

This product's rating is a solid five stars and remains so. I am very happy with the improvements the manufacturer has made.

The upgraded product was provided for review by Laptopmate.

UPDATE 6/20/13: My apologies if the page changes. I just want to clarify my second unit is the 7 + 1 charging port. I am still using this hub.

UPDATE 8/3/13: I have found one product that works primarily on USB 2.0 ports: my ScanSnap scanner. It will not work with this 7 + 1 hub, but it will work with my Tek Republic TUH-300 USB 3.0 4 Port Portable Hub. So, the Anker is not completely backwards compatible with USB 2.0 products.
3939 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 10, 2012
Ok, so I bought this for the 3.0 capability, and so far, I am far less than impressed. It powers devices great, but that's about it. I have an external that won't be read in any port. On the first day I had the product it read fine. Then a few hours into use it started to cut out, and now won't read at all, so I have to plug in directly to my pc. I have plugged in several other usb sticks and those don't even get recognized. I have a few USB powered things like a fan and small speaker set, those work great, because it's only for power. SO if you need a really cool expensive power port then this is your product

I will be contacting customer support for a fix or a refund. I basically paid $50 for a power port. Not very pleased and honestly probably won't buy another product from USpeed. I hope they can rectify this issue and help me out.

-James

**Update July 26, 2012**

Uspeed contacted me quite quickly upon initial review post. They made no hesitation to send me a new one in lieu of the defective one. They paid all shipping and return costs, and have also maintained excellent communication. That being said, I enjoy the product , and it is a nice edition to my collection. However, it does not work well with Western Digital Passports. It has a hard time maintaining connection, if it even makes one. Also sometimes will give connection issues to my external AOC brand monitor, which is USB connected. Like I said, sometimes. I find myself plugging directly into my laptop via USB is just easier and no worry of an issue. I have had no other issues with other USB thumb drives, I have no issues powering my little fan. Honestly for now, it'll do, but if any more issues arise, I will be contacting support.

By the way, excellent support, Sunnie is very nice and prompt, came to a fast conclusion of a solution. Cheers to Sunnie. I understand product nonsense happens. It's the support that determines the reaction. Kudos Uspeed.
2020 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 2, 2013
I purchased this to use on my New 27inch iMac but find it doesn't work well at all. When I connect my Eye TV USB tuner and launch Eye TV my whole system crashes. If I connect my iPhone to it I get numerous errors in itunes when syncing. If I connect my patriot USB3 flash drive transfer is slow. I have none of these problems when I connect directly to my Mac or through an older D-Link USB2 hub. The company did quickly respond to my email and sent me a replacement but that was no better. They have a firmware update for Mac Mountain Lion 10.8.2 but it only runs on Windows. How crazy Is that? You need a windows computer with USB3 to update this device to run on your Mac. They assure me a Mac version will be out soon but it has been almost a month and still no Mac version. In the mean time its useless. If you have a Mac with Mountain Lion 10.8.2 don't buy this.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 8, 2012
This hub was used on the USB 3.0 port of a new MacBook Pro. It had a sporadic (defective) connection on Port-1. This port usually did not work, although on a rare occasion it did connect for a time, before dropping out and unmounting the drive with an error message. This presented the potential for file/data corruption.

The other 6 ports would occasionally dismount the external drives if the connector was laterally moved. The connection could be relatively easily broken with "normal" cable movement (such as when adjusting cable positions to plug in another drive.) This resulted in an error message that accompanied the spontaneous unmounting of the drive.

In trying to isolate the problem, drives were intentionally ejected, then switched to different ports, in an attempt to isolate a bad drive and/or cable. Different combinations of cables/drives were tested, all producing the same results. The problem appeared isolated to the hub.

It was noted that the USB 3.0 male connectors plugged in fully, up to the "hilt", on my new MacBook Pro. I've been using two different brands of 7-port USB 2.0 hubs for over 3 years with no broken connections or problems -- and the male connectors fully engage. On this Uspeed hub there was a gap of almost 3/16" between the "hilt" of the plug and the jack on the hub. It was unclear why the plugs did not go in all the way to fully engage and prevent lateral movement of the connectors. This lateral movement is what is believed to cause the intermittent connections and dismounting of the drives with the accompanying error message.

The problem with Port-1 may be a defect in this hub, but the lack of a solid and dependable connection on the other ports appears to be a design/component flaw.

Note: The Power adapter/supply was plugged in to a known good outlet. The indicator lights on the hub fully illuminated when the drives were mounted. Power was not a problem.

Amazon was helpful in applying for credit with the return of this hub. (Contact with the vendor was also positive as they recognized the defect and offered an exchange.)

07/21/12 19:45 Central - The vendor, LaptopMate, followed up by email after I'd gotten authorization to return the hub to Amazon for credit. The vendor offered a hub to try at no charge. I returned from a week long trip and expected to find the promised Uspeed hub waiting for me. It wasn't. I sent an email, with the thread of communications, to their support section this AM, but did not receive a reply or explanation. They did eventually follow up with a trial hub. The delay may have been due to miscommunication.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 3, 2014
I purchased this hub along with several other Anker hubs. They're very convenient around the home and office especially for laptops which may only have a single 3.0 port allowing you to use multiple 3.0 devices. The speeds seem to be stable across the ports when downloading/uploading even when transferring data between drives connected to the same hub.

So why the low rating? It's a long story so here it goes (see below for short version): I work as a tech for an office environment. Since I had a good experience with the hub I talked the purchaser in our office into buying several for the users in our office. A couple of months go by and a couple of users are having their external hard drives and flash drives fail, including my own. It was just way too weird to have so many drives fail within a short period of time. After some troubleshooting it turns out to be the hubs. It sounds crazy. It really does because how can a hub fry a drive? Well these hubs are consistently sending some sort of signal to whatever you have connected to it. It doesn't matter if you have a computer connected to the hub or not. Leave a drive (small flash drives or standard external drives) connected to it and you'll see it gets hot. Not just a little hot but super hot. I've never felt drives get so hot before. Non-SSD external drives won't stop spinning.

Initially, I figured it could've been because the particular ports they were connected to may have been charging ports and thus sending a constant electrical charge but that is not the case. It doesn't matter if it's a charging port or not. I'm guessing to prevent this you would need to get a hub that has individual power switches for each port so you can cut the power off to your drives completely. I think without something like that it's ultimately a terrible design. I've contacted Anker about the issue already and there's nothing available to get rid of this issue if you already own one of these hubs. I was hoping there was an update of some sort.

Cliff Notes -- Anker hubs are causing external hard drives and flash drives to fail prematurely.

Edit - I changed my review to three stars instead of one. Anker customer service has been exemplary. I can tell they care about the performance of their products out in the world and aim to ensure all of their customers are satisfied. After some communication there aren't any alternatives or solutions to this issue but the amount of time they spent deserves five stars. So, three stars seems to be a happy medium for it all.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 8, 2012
I purchased this for my retina MBP. For USB 2 devices, it worked intermittently and I noticed that my logitech mouse would not respond after the computer returned from sleep.
Unfortunately, it did not recognize a new WD USB 3 HD, a bytecc USB3 to ESATA, or a dat optic USB3 to ESATA adapter.
All three of which work fine, albeit at USB 2 speeds, with my old Belkin USB 2 hub.

If you have a Retina MBP, I would not recommend this device since none of the USB 3 devices are recognized by the OS, and since the light on the hub does not illuminate, the hub itself.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 20, 2012
After three days using this hub, with only three out of the seven ports occupied, I discovered the following:
At various times during the day, the hub would go dark and the computer would lose the connection with it.
We leave our computers on 24/7 to accommodate automatic updates. When attempting to wake the computer in the morning we found that it could not be activated. The only solution was to kill the power at the UPS and then deal with the message "This computer did not shut down correctly".
After disconnecting the Uspeed hub, everything went back to normal operation.

We have asked for a refund and will try another brand.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Like another reviewer, I've noticed that this device seems to stop working if no data transfer is happening for a long time. I have it plugged directly into a USB 3.0 port on my computer, and right now am connecting nothing but a USB 3.0 thumb drive from time to time, and a USB 3.0 multi-card reader full-time. If left connected on the running computer overnight, the blue lights on the populated ports of this device go out and unplugging and replugging the USB devices doesn't get it to work. If I unplug the power for the entire USB hub and reconnect it, then everything works again. It's like it goes to sleep and won't wake until powered up. I thought it may be computer related even though I've never had a similar problem with USB 2.0 hubs on this computer, but the same thing happens on a different brand computer on USB 3.0 ports.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 28, 2012
I could not get this USB Hub to work with either of my Western Digital My Passport 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drives. As such I returned the product.
My guess here is it is something with the power needed for the portable usb drives since they work fine without the Hub.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 13, 2014
This is a great USB hub for transferring data and for use as a charging hub!

Inside the box, you get the hub itself, you get the USB 3.0 cable to plug into your computer, and you get the power adapter to power the hub. I have uploaded a picture of the box.

The first thing I noticed about the hub is that it is very small, compact, and light. When I took it out of the box, it felt like it was of high quality with its nice, smooth non-glossy finish and then rubber grips at the bottom. The bottom has a glossy finish. The hub has seven bright blue lights corresponding to each port. The first thing I use the hub for was for its charging capabilities.

I plugged in my iPod Touch (4th Gen.), an iPhone 5S, three Samsung Galaxy S3's, the Anker Astro Slim (3000mAh), and an old flip phone (Samsung Convoy). All seven devices were charging simultaneously at full speed when there was no USB connecting the hub to the computer. It also worked when the computer was either off or in sleep mode. One thing I noticed is that when you're using the hub as a charging station, the lights that correspond to the USB's don't turn on when in use, but that isn't a big deal. I tried charging two PS3 controllers but the hub wouldn't charge them (I used the cable that came with the PS3 and a longer, generic cable that was ordered from Amazon). If you plug all of the devices in first and then power the hub on, everything starts charging after a few seconds around the same time. Overall, this is GREAT as a charging station.

*Tested on a USB 3.0 Port for full speed and functionality*
Using this as the data hub, it is also very nice and very useful. You just plug the hub into your computer or laptop and it starts working. I was able to plug in seven flash drives and could read and write data to them as fast as I could if I connected each one (one by one) in the USB 3.0 Port. When you eject a flash drive, its light on the hub turns off so you know which one was ejected. That is very useful if all of the flash drives are named "Removable Disk. " I opened files on all of them and I wrote some files on random flash drives and it was at full speed. I could tell it was very fast because I always use the USB 3.0 port so I can tell how fast it normally works. I replaced one of the flash drives with my phone (Samsung Galaxy S3) and I accessed its files as a media device and as a camera. It was working like a charm. When I put the laptop in sleep mode, all of the lights turned off and then the phone stopped charging for a brief second and then continued charging. I noticed that one of the six flash drives were lighting up when the hub was acting as a charging station. There was no damage to it, so I am guessing that the hub has some mechanism that protects flash drives that are still plugged in when the hub turns into a charging station. Overall, it is a very nice and convenient thing to have when you want to read and write data to multiple devices or flash drives/ other storing devices that function with a USB. I have uploaded some pictures so you can see how it looks when the devices are plugged into the hub on Windows 8. This hub also works on USB 2.0 ports but remember that the speeds won't be as fast as it is on USB 3.0 ports.

By the looks, this is WAY better than the previous Anker 7-port hub in many ways. It is more compact, looks nicer, has the latest technology, and is easier to carry.

This never heated up for me and you don't have to worry about it overcharging your devices. You also don't have to worry about it malfunctioning because it has a built-in surge protector to keep your devices safe.

Overall, this is a very nice and handy thing to have. Those people that always do things like backup data from multiple flash drives to an external hard drive or those that just use a lot of flash drives can benefit from this. Also, if you find yourself running out of USB ports or if you just want a charging station, this is perfect. It can charge phones AND tablets. Even if you don't think you'll have a use for this, trust me, you will find one. I HIGHLY recommend this!

I was provided a unit for testing purposes and I promised to provide a completely honest and fair review.
review image review image review image review image
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations