Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her  Fine Art Deals Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Outdoors Gift Guide on BGG

on December 12, 2013
I am measuring 0.960 amps while charging my Galaxy S4. I am returning it, as I purchased this specifically for it's claimed 2 amp charging ability.

***Update, Anker has been very helpful resolving my issue, covering shipping and replacement cost. The product may have had a defect, but Anker was stellar in their support.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 15, 2014
Charges as fast as the Samsung Galaxy Note 3's wall charger that comes with the phone. When I'm running low in the car, it gets me power in a hurry.

The only thing I wish it had was a LED light to let me know it's plugged into the cigarette lighter and didn't wiggle out at some point. No big deal though because I can just look at my phone's screen and see it's charging. Just a minor distraction if you're driving.

I've only used the car charger under 10 uses and it went dead. Does charge any more and is nothing more than a paper weight. Looked into a possible exchange but not able to because it's over 30 days old. I saw how others had the same problem. It's a great charger for a few uses. Don't waste your money!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 22, 2013
I've had this only for a week and it appears to charge my phone fine as I expected. I didn't, however, expect the cord to be so short. Unfortunately, since the DC outlet I use is in my center console storage box, the coiled cord is barely long enough to extend out of the box for me to plug in my phone. If you're using the dash DC outlet, the cord may be long enough. The wire also appears thin and flimsy, very unlike the robust coiled wire of the Motorola charger it replaced. The combination of having to stretch the coiled part out to use it and the thinness of the wire gauge has me second-guessing this purchase.

10/23/2013 - Anker responded via email and phone to this review to offer me an alternative product, the Anker® 18W / 2.4A + 2.0A (3.6A max) Dual Port USB Car Charger for Apple Android and USB-Charing Devices - The First and Smallest Adapter to Provide Simultaneous, Full-Speed Charges to iPads and Smartphones [White]. While thoughtful, this adapter won't suffice for my particular situation so I declined the swap. I requested a refund instead, which Anker graciously agreed to. This doesn't change my rating of the product I bought, but I'm more than pleased with Anker's customer service and will purchase from them again should the need arise.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2014
This works well with my Samsung Galaxy S4. It charges the phone quickly and the plug fits snugly into the charging slot of the phone.
on December 3, 2013
It's VERY difficult to find a quality car charger, even if you're willing to shell out a lot of money, especially if one needs >1A output. This one delivers two reliable ports of >2A for a very decent price. In addition, the device screams quality in all physical aspects, snapped in perfectly into my old car (which rejected many other cheapo chargers) and shows no bright, annoying LED light.

I bought it to charge a Nexus 5 and it worked very well using both the attached wire and another microusb wire I plugged into the port. Even charged two modern Android devices at full speed, which is great.

Would take off a bit for the twisted attached micro-usb connector. It's small and coiled very tightly, resulting in a very taut cable that is next to impossible to use anywhere except right next to the charger. I plugged a normal 3ft cable into the other port and used that while navigating, keeping the coiled cable as backup for an occasional secondary device that can be charged while in a cup holder. This isn't enough to take away from the rating, especially given how hard it is to find a decent charger.
on December 2, 2013
The best car charger I have purchased to date. I have not been able to find a car charger locally that has not broken on me after a short while. Anker offers a nice warranty on this for 18 months which most car chargers might come with 30 or 90 days if they do at all. This Anker is very compact compared to the chargers you can get at BestBuy or walmart that offer a second USB port. Plus a fraction of the price for a better product. The compact size leaves me with more room in my center console since that is where I keep it plugged in. It outputs the 2.1amps that are required for iOS devices or some tablets and that was a big deal for me. The cord and plug are well built and sturdy. The coil in the cord is very good and tight but the cord is a bit short for me personally. It reaches anywhere I need it to but if I just have the phone resting on my lap it tends to get pulled towards the charger. Thats really the only downside and the only reason I didnt give it 5 stars.
on January 10, 2014
This charges my Galaxy S4 about as fast as the OEM wall wart and with the screen lit up and using Facebook still charges about 1% every two minutes. With my old charger my phone actually went dead and shut off while charging and web browsing at the same time. I needed a quick charger since most trips are less than 20 minutes and this puts out 2A android with one device attached, that's fine 99.9% of the time I'm driving alone but nice to have the second port available if needed.

I like the coiled cord so its not dangling on the floor since I leave my charger in the socket all the time. The cord stretches long enough while charging for hand held use such as text, map or something but not up to your ear for phone call while normally seated. Some people may not like that but I'd rather unplug for a call anyway.

This is my first Anker product, only had it a day so cant comment on reliability or durability.
review image review image
on April 13, 2015
- Solid construction
- two ports to allow simultaneous charging two devices (my phone and my wife's phone)
- consistently saw 8.9W of power delivered to my galaxy S5 (as measured by a PortaPow USB Power Monitor Version 2)
- cable has solid construction and performed better than several other cables I tested
- cable is fairly stiff.
- no indicator light that shows if power is provided to the charger. Some cars turn off power to charging port when car is not running; others do not

Other comments:
There is a lot incorrect information floating around about fast charging on a Galaxy S5. Please consider the following observations:
- USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0: the charging is done on the USB 2.0 side of the connector. While the other side of the USB 3.0 connector provides additional connections for faster data transfer, they are not used for delivering power. While there are additional ground pins, they are not used to provide better power transfer. My measurements showed that I could get just as good of power transfer with a USB 2.0 cable as a USB 3.0 cable.
- the Belkin SuperSpeed and Anker PowerIQ both charged at a 8.9W rate (as compared to a 5W rate of older USB power supplies)
- the Galaxy S5 charging rate dropped from 8.9W to 5.2W (or lower) when the phone's screen was on. As soon as the screen turned off, the charging rate immediately went back to 8.9W. It also took between 10-30 seconds for the charging rate to reach 8.9W when charging the phone began. All measurements were done when the phone showed 15-20% battery remaining; when the phone reaches 90+% battery charge, the charging rate seemed to drop back to 5W and even less as it approached 100% charged.
on June 26, 2014
This item arrived and worked wonderfully AT FIRST. Charged my phone very quickly. The only negative I had to note at that time was how short the cord is, which is why I'm guessing they hide it from you in the main picture. If you hold the phone to your ear, the cord just pops right out of it. The cord is also thinner than most other car chargers.

Now, after 4 weeks of casual use, it does not charge my phone or any phone, at all. I thought the problem might be loose wiring inside the cord, so I brought out the usb cord from my ac charger and plugged that into the usb port on this charger and my phone. That also did not work, which means the problem is with the actual charging unit that plugs into the port on my car. I also tried this method with every other charging port in my car in order to rule out that my port was the problem.

Unfortunately I just missed the return window on the item or it would be going back to Amazon. I plan to contact the vendor who sold it to me to get a replacement if possible (with fingers crossed that it will last) rather than just losing my money.
on May 15, 2014
Plugged it into two different cars. Will not activate the charge in the phone. Called the number in the attached documentation. They expect you to provide all the relevant information including your Amazon order number and then they ask for the serial number of the device. You would assume it's on the box fairly legible. Wrong! It's in tiny miniscule letters that can barely be seen by the human eye - on the side of the device. The customer service clerk said "can you scan it and send it to us?" Are you kidding? It's grey lettering on black plastic! Like you could scan that?? You can't even read it. In any event, they claim they are sending me a replacement. This is the LAST product I buy from Anker which I told her.

UPDATE May 27th - A replacement charger arrived quickly within two days. The new charger works fine.