on January 30, 2013
Verified Purchase
I bought this battery on a trip back to the states and I basically got it because I wanted an affordable reliable alternative to the regular Mac battery.
I held off on the review because I wanted to test it in over a fairly longer period than just a few days, and make sure performance was consistent.
Long story short, I am very happy with the performance of this battery. It holds a charge for a long amount of time, and I am getting much better performance out of my computer since I switched the old battery out. Also an added bonus is that my laptop runs cooler now that I have switched the battery. I thought that would be the case, and I am pleased to see that my supposition was correct. Rather than use the battery past it's regular life I will switch it faster next time.
Fit is good and I was able to insert it with just a slight amount of wiggling. It matches my old exterior as well as could be expected, and doesn't protrude from the bottom allowing the computer to sit evenly on the table etc.
I run the battery meter on the percentage scale, the time scale would sometimes vary between reading seven and five hours when fully charged, and I wanted more accuracy than that. The percentage scale is much more accurate in reflecting the actual state of the remaining charge in the battery and I am happy with using it. I don't consider this to be a problem, but some people might.
At present I am getting about 4 hours of use out of the battery with the screen at high brightness and the wireless connection on. This is running programs like Word, or Itunes while I surf the web. I have not tested it under higher use conditions like playing videos yet.
The battery was delivered on time, and the follow up mail and contact from the customer service division at Anker was a nice touch that is rare to see nowadays. It was definitely appreciated and I have nothing but praise for my experience with this company.
I would recommend this battery as a good replacement for the stock Mac battery for anyone who wants a battery that will last, and not cost an arm and a leg.
I will do an update in three months if anything changes.
on September 22, 2012
Verified Purchase
** UPDATE 2014 ** Dead after 2 years. The original OEM battery lasted 4. So two of these batteries for $120 or an OEM one for $120. It's a wash I guess.

Also having issues with one of these for my 2009 MacBook Pro. I don't think I'll make Anker my first choice in the future, but again... their customer service has been great so I'll keep the 4 star just for that. Otherwise it's a 2.5-3 star.

2015 Update: They replaced the other battery - it was right at 18 months with clear swelling. No questions asked. So really... it's either Apple or these guys.

- - - -

I almost bought a really cheap $24 dollar battery. But reading about the fit and finish issues, I decided that $40-$50 is really about the cheapest a battery should be.

This battery has worked great for 2 weeks. It have an 18 month warranty so that's nice. We're getting around 3.5 hours of Internet surfing over Wifi using a 2008 White MacBook.

That said... the fit pretty much stinks. It definitely didn't "snap" into place like the OEM battery. I had to apply pressure while simultaneously twisting the battery lock to get it in place.

Does my wife care about any of this? Not at all. Do I care? No, but I don't use the computer. If we buy another battery, I might try a cheaper one.

Customer service was nice. I know it was an automated e-mail, but hey... at least they touched-base.

** UPDATE December 2012 **

Okay, so customer service was awesome. They offered the replace the battery and I didn't even contact them (see replies to this post). So I will definitely buy my next battery from them, irrespective of the fit issue.

Oh yeah, and about that fit issue... I've never thought about it since. So it's obviously not a big deal. Then again, we have 2 kids under three so my biggest concerns involve how much poop and snot I have on my clothes, not battery alignment.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 15, 2013
Verified Purchase
I had a great experience with this company and this product. I bought this battery for my A1185 White Macbook - my old battery finally gave up the ghost and I needed a replacement. I was reluctant to spend $100 + on an Apple replacement after seeing horrible reviews for it and was nervous about a ordering a cheap $25 battery, so this price point and product split the difference. I am NOT a computer person. I obsessively research before buying anything, especially for my Macbook. The battery went in fine - you just have to make sure its lined up correctly, and you press in and turn the lock closed. I didn't have a problem with the computer not recognizing it and made sure to follow the instructions about charging and draining the battery during the first use. Customer service is GREAT!! They follow up with you on everything and answer all your questions. I would definitely recommend them to friends and family who need computer products!
on November 20, 2013
Verified Purchase
Battery life is horrible. Used this on a 2009 MacBook (running Mountain Lion) and I get less than 2 hours on a full charge. If I leave my MacBook unplugged overnight, sometimes battery just drains itself completely.

Emailed Anker about this but never heard back. Buyer beware.

UPDATE: Anker contacted me through email right after posting this review, and insisted on sending me a replacement. Don't know why they were so hard to reach the first time, but communication has been smooth this time around. Will use the replacement for a few weeks/months after I get it, and will update my review then. In the meantime, adding one more star to my original rating if only for the excellent after-sales service. At least even if you get a dud, they seem determined to make it right. Kudos to the company.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 4, 2012
Verified Purchase
I've only owned this battery for just over 2 months. It's been a lifesaver. It probably worked better than my original Macbook battery until it unexpectedly stopped working last week. The battery shows 100% charge on my Macbook screen as well as the light indicator on the battery itself, but if I dare unplug my Macbook, my computer completely shuts down within a few minutes without as much as a warning. It does not reboot until reconnected to the charger. Disappointing to say the least.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 12, 2013
1 year update:

Still going strong! I've noticed no drop off in performance since my 6 month update. I honestly did not expect the battery to last this long. I decided to up my rating to 4 stars.

6 month update:

Nothing has changed since my 3 month update. I still get about 2 hours of light use without my computer being plugged in. If this keeps up for another 6 months, I would be satisfied with my purchase.

3 month update:

The battery is still alive but it's performance has deteriorated significantly. I currently get about 1.5-2 hours of straight usage and a few hours of stand-by. If I close my macbook without plugging in the charger, it will die within a day. I've also had instances when the battery indicator would show incorrect readings. Sometimes it would say 100% when the battery is almost dead. However, it usually corrects itself after a few minutes. At this point, my macbook is only good for short trips away from my desk. We'll have to see how long before it kicks the bucket.

OLD REWIEW:

I spent days (weeks) searching for a replacement battery for my 7 year old macbook before settling on this one. Prices ranged from the super cheap $20 ones sold on this site to the $129 models sold by Apple. Based on the reviews, buying one of the $25 batteries would be a gamble. Roughly one in three reviewers reported a malfunction within the first couple months. Claims of DOA batteries and unfulfilled warranties were all but too common. The far more costly Apple battery seems more reliable but reports of malfunctions were still common. However, unlike the cheap knock-off batteries, Apple sells theirs with a reliable 12 month warranty. Finally, there is the Anker replacement battery. At $60, it's priced almost midway between the bargain batteries and Apple's original version. From what I can tell, they are the best reviewed macbook replacement battery on the market. This is no surprise given that Anker backs their product with a seemingly reliable 18 month warranty. This incentivizes them to thoroughly test each battery before shipping them out. If their customers are sending back batteries in mass this would result in huge losses for the company which would especially problematic for them since they exclusively sell batteries. Apple, on the other hand, couldn't care less if people don't like their batteries. Their incentive is to get people to buy new computers.

So their you have it. When you buy this product, you are mostly paying for the peace of mind that your battery will last 18 months. In the event that it does not, Ankler promises a free replacement. You could get lucky with one of the $25 batteries and have it last a year but there is the (high) risk that it will not. In the long run (say 18 months), it's probably cheaper to go with Anker. Going with Apple makes no sense. Their batteries cost twice as much and come with a shorter warranty.

I've only had mine for a short while but it works as expected. I have a white 13inch mid 2007 macbook and I get about 2-3 hours with normal use. I haven't tested how long it lasts on stand-by but leaving the computer to sleep overnight only drains the battery by about 5%. Some people claimed that the battery didn't fit properly but this was not an issue for me at all. Over all very satisfied.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 22, 2013
Verified Purchase
Bought this battery for my daughter as she was going into the Peace Corp. Worked for a month at home and one month in Samoa before not charging anymore. Fortunately, she took her original Apple battery despite it being bloated and it still works. Do not waste your money with this battery.

Review Update: Here is a surprising piece of news. A customer service person from this company actually tracked me down from my review, contacted me and apologized for my poor experience with this battery. With shipping being so difficult into or out of Samoa, my daughter gave me the serial number and the customer service person refunded my money. Turns out Mac laptops have issues with most batteries, not sure why the original worked so well. I will definitely give them another try with customer service like that. Erin at Anker rocks. I am changing my rating from one star to two stars because of the excellent customer support.
on November 18, 2013
Verified Purchase
The battery is very good for a 3rd party/non-oem battery.
Being in computer repair there are very many dangers to purchasing a third party battery the biggest of which is incorrect regulation of current and power which could make your system unusable. Thankfully Anker is a solid brand that makes a quality product.
The battery fits comfortably in the compartment, and jiggles a bit, but nothing major. I was surprised to see that they were able to match the OEM's battery's color look and feel. A lot of aftermarket Apple battery look different from stock.
My issue with the battery is that it doesn't keep track of load cycles and it consistently reads out 1 cycle were I know I've put a dozen on in the 2 weeks I've had it.
Also this battery is a bit pricey, for $60 you can get a slightly used Apple battery or if you're lucky, a new one. The only other apple replacement battery that I trust is AGPtek and they sell theirs for around $40 and the quality is the basically the same.
Biggest benefit here is dealing with Amazon and Amazon Prime benefits.
on January 8, 2014
Verified Purchase
I've been using it daily for almost 3 weeks now. So while it's a small sample size, it's performed very well. I get a solid 4 hours of use in my old 2008 macbook. Fits perfectly, color is close enough that it doesn't bother me one bit- it's probably my old laptop that has faded. Just before this, I tried 2 cheaper batteries I found on amazon- returned them both after issues within 2 days. I'll update if different, but so far I'm pleased.

One year later the batter was still functioning pretty well. After 13 months, the battery wasn't holding up to the original specifications. It only lasted an hour max, and I got a service battery indication. However, this was within the 18 month warranty offered by Anker, and they promptly sent me a new battery, no questions asked.
on January 15, 2013
Verified Purchase
The battery fits close enough and matches the macbook in color. It even is recognized as in good condition by my macbook. Most importantly however, right out of the box it loses it's connection with the computer about every 4 minutes. This is fine when you're plugged in, but when you're relying on battery power, it means your computer suddenly powers down every 4 minutes.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations