5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to setup and working like a charm
Anker N600 is the lowest priced dual band router in Amazon. N600 got the stronger WiFi signal and very easy to setup.

Published 23 months ago by AjithInNet

2.0 out of 5 stars Good feature set but I've had some connectivity mysteries
Customer Video Review     Length:: 3:31 Mins
Published 23 months ago by M. Erb

2.0 out of 5 stars Good feature set but I've had some connectivity mysteries, December 4, 2012
This review is from: Anker® N600 Wireless-N Dual Band (2.4GHz & 5GHz) Router - Sleek Design and Broadcom Chipset (Personal Computers)
Length:: 3:31 Mins

UPDATE: 12/16/2012: I've had to reduce my rating due to an increasing amount of connectivity issues I'm experiencing. I've really been working this router hard trying to flesh out any problems and I am having some real issues with 5G connectivity and router restarting itself. I'm trying to reach the company to ask some technical questions before I lower my rating further. Stay Tuned and I'll update my review as soon as I know more.

UPDATE: 12/7/2012 - Electronics such as routers are not easily reviewed since you actually have to use them for a while to unearth issues. Now that I've been using this a little longer I have a few more issues. I'm leaving my original review intact until I am convinced that the router may have a problem but until then my original review and rating will remain. So I went to bed last night but right before going to bed I was checking email on my iPad. In other words, WiFi was working and I had Internet Connectivity. When I woke up in the morning, my internet connectivity had been lost. What had happened overnight? I'm not sure. I went into my office and my cable modem seems normal according to the status lights. I unplugged both the cable modem and my router, plugged the cable modem back in after one minute and let it reboot. I then plugged in the router again and it reconnected to the cable modem. Internet connectivity was then restored. So the question is, was there a problem with RoadRunner overnight that caused this, or was the Anker modem part of the problem. I don't have the answer until I've had yet more time using this router. But I will update my review as more info surfaces. I also discovered that the User Manual that is provided on the CD included with the router is screwed up. Much of what is supposed to be narrative is displayed as blocks of grayscale gradient color... no text. I have emailed Anker to find out what the story is with that. The Quick Start pdf displays just fine.

PLEASE NOTE: 12/4/2012 - Many of the reviews for this router are of the older version. The N600 that I have reviewed is the just-released newer version and it is greatly improved.

******************************************************

I have received for review some terrible wireless routers but this Anker N600 is not one of those. To be honest, I was not expecting much from this router considering the price it is being sold for. Wow, was I surprised to discover what a gem this one is! Fast, stable, with features that many more expensive routers lack.

When Anker sent me their first stab at this router many months ago, I actually returned it to them because it was quite frankly a disaster. They apparently went back to school and returned with this vastly upgraded N600. Not only did they completely redo the documentation to what is now extremely helpful but they also rebuilt the firmware and web interface. It is not a force to be reckoned with.

I primarily use Macs in my house, although between my wife and I we have 3 MacBook Pro's, 2 iPads, a PC laptop and an iMac. Not to forget a ROKU and an Apple TV. We stream a lot of video and download a lot of large files in addition to the normal email, surfing, etc. Needless to say, this router has been given a thorough workout in the last week and I have not experienced any dropouts, lost connection to the router or anything negative whatsoever.

Here is what I really like about this router.

-The 2.4G and 5G bands operate independently of each other thus "dual-band." Each band can also have a guest network which means -your- network can not be accessed via the browser address of 192.168.0.1. It is simply not available to the guest network thus giving you protection. What I've done in my situation is disabled the SSID for -my- network so that casual observers will only see the SSID for my Guest network. This is wonderful and a feature that a lot of routers do not have.

I also like that the router keeps logs and tracks usage statistics. Very helpful to see how much bandwidth is being used by file transfer and data.

Another great feature is the ability to save the router settings to a file on your computer. You are then able to restore your router using that settings file if you need to due to an accidental factory reset or other unforeseen event that might have trashes your router settings.

There are parental controls that enable you to restrict access to specified URL's. You can also set parameters for access times and set limits on bandwidth.

There is a lot more that this router is capable of doing as well that would take too much time to talk about in this brief review.

As more time passes I will update my review to reflect any issues that I encounter. So far I've just experienced a couple small things worth mentioning. Once you are logged in to the web interface, there is no obvious way to logout other than rebooting the router. Although that gets the job done, I'd prefer a logout option. I also noticed that when changing the admin login name and password, I was not given any indication that I had successfully done so. I did get an error window opening when I made a deliberate error, but not when everything was correct. Again, not a huge deal but it is always good to get a confirmation that an action was successful or not.

Although there is much I like about this router, it is marred with connectivity issues and unreliable performance., I've been communicating with Anker about this and perhaps a future firmware update will fix some of the issues.

Anker provided me with a sample for review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to setup and working like a charm, November 28, 2012

I replaced my Linksys router that served me well for last 3 years, and found my upload/download speed has increased dramatically. it is very easy to setup for the default AES security mode. I am able to connect my Macbook Air, IBM Lenovo laptop, HP network printer, HP touch pad, iPod, 2 iPhones and one iOmega network Hard disk, everything working fine no issues.

I have configured port forwarding for my iOmega network hard disk, the network hard disk features like ftp, torrent and remote access are working like a charm. It was very easy to setup.

The router design looks quite sleek and the LED lights on the front indicate the activities.

Pros:
Dual band router
Cheap price
Easy to setup
reliable connection
sleek design
wireless bridge option
18 MONTHS warranty (did I say 18?)
Good customer support

Cons:
Lots of features, but not well documented.

Box contains:
N600 Dual Bank Router
Antennae 2 nos
Ethernet cable
Power adapter
Instruction manual

5.0 out of 5 stars Provides me a MUCH better coverage area in my home!, December 6, 2012
I have used several routers that always were VERY expensive and the never really did what there price point would lead you to believe they would do. I received this one and was thrilled on how such an inexpensive router could handle my very large area that I needed it to cover and it did it very fast! I am NO guru when it comes to wireless routers but I can tell you that from my experience this router is one that you should put on your Christmas list if you have a large home and are thinking of purchasing a router. The router interface is very intuitive and easy to change settings but I usually don't mess around with a bunch of settings as I don't want to mess anything up if I don't know what it is. Also, their customer service is top notch and the two times I had to call I always received a positive response! The company stands behind ALL of their products and that is why I have several of their products in my home... Just buy it and unless you need the features of a $200 router than you will have made the right decision!

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, February 28, 2013
You get what you pay for! After hooking this router and getting into the settings for the WAN I couldnt find where to set the port forwarding. So I call tech support and get a Hello? I say is this tech support and the person on the other end says- Oh Yea. How can I help you? I say Im having problems with my router I just got and I cant find where to set port forwarding so I can use my Xbox 360's WIFI. To which he replys- Oooooooooooh.....This isnt the N600 is it? Yes I say. Weve been having a lot of trouble with those, and they dont have an option for port forwarding. And he continues with- I can send you an older model that we make thats not dual band but will allow port forwarding and refund part of your money! Or you can just return it to Amazon! WHAT! Repalce your new useless peice of crap with an older more useless one or take my money else where! Easy choice. Thanks for wasting my time Anker! Good luck! Amazon remove this crap from your site!

5.0 out of 5 stars Review for the Casual User, April 22, 2013
I'm not a super technical person, I just want a product (especially when it comes to electronics) that that does what it says it does, doesn't give me problems, or headaches in the process of doing so. THIS product does both!

I currently have 3mbps DSL and this router works great. I wireless-ly run my Playstation 3 online and smart phone via 2.4GHz while keeping my laptop wired.

By following the directions from the box set up was a breeze.The directions on how to connect and use the security feature were awesome. I have little to no experience in routers but by following the step-by-step directions I was able to un-package, connect, and set up the security in about 30 minutes.

Pro's
User friendly
Easy set up
Slim Design

Con's
Nothing at this point!

I would definitely recommend this to any normal household person. It fits all my needs. Looking back I probably could have saved money by not buying a Duel Band since nothing I own will connect to the 5GHz but I am glad I will have it for whenever I do. I love this product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow... better than my Netgear N600 V3, March 6, 2013
Surprisingly this router performed better than my $150 router.

Its weird... the Anker brand is not written anywhere on the router or the user interface.
I only purchased the 300mb/s

I am only running the 2.4 Band wince I don't have any 5ghz devices.
Range is very good and the wifi bandwidth is pretty good.

On LAN it reaches 96mb/s out of 120mb/s (i know.. .my internet is fast, (i repeat, Internet) )
On Wifi with 10ft distance and a wooden door, it goes to 55mb/s where as my Netgear it goes 43mb/s

Will highly recommend,
The 600 mb will be my next purchase, cant wait.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent router but has a few quirks, December 11, 2012
I have been in the market to replace an aging wireless router for some time so I decided to give the Anker N600 a shot. Overall it's a solid router with some neat features. However, it does lack a few items I consider to be necessary in any router and thus I could not give it a full 5 stars.

Removing the router from its packaging showed that Anker is following suit of other manufacturers. They appear to be working on limiting their packaging materials. This is not a bad thing, the router was securely packaged and the packaging was not wasteful. Full marks here.

At first glance the router is like any other consumer router on the market. Color coded ports, a power brick and a getting started guide. The users manual is available on the CD included in the package. This is a definite plus for me as I prefer having an electronic copy of any manuals for my equipment.

Once plugged in I was able to navigate to the web page and was prompted with a request to enter my username and password. This is one area that Anker is getting bonus points with me. They include the default username and password on the label on the bottom of the device. This is a huge bonus. There is nothing more frustrating then attempting to setup and/or help somebody setup a new router only to have to go digging through the documentation or Google to find the default login.

One of the features that I wasn't expecting was the ability to setup a Guest wireless network. This allows you to segregate your network traffic from visitors who may need wireless access. This too is a huge bonus for me.

Wireless setup was fairly painless once I wrapped my head around how the 2.4 vs 5g vs guest network SSID's were setup. It also appears to be based upon some variant of Linux.

There were a couple of areas that I think could use some improvement. The web interface for this router, while fully functional, could be confusing to the average consumer and thus I think could use some polishing. I also noticed that you are not able to use any special characters in the password for the web interface. This is something I think should be fixed as having a secure password to your routers configuration, even if you're not making it publicly accessible, is a necessity in my opinion. I was also disappointed that the antennas are not replaceable. Should one break or should you want to upgrade them to increase your wireless range you will not be able to do so with this router.

Overall it's a great router for the price. With a little polishing and adding the ability to replace the antennas this router could really shine.

Pros:
easy 5g and 2.4g wireless setup
guest wireless access that segregates traffic
bandwidth control
all the standard features you'd expect from a router
5g wireless does definitely boost speed
appears to be based upon Linux

Cons:
no special characters/punctuation allowed in admin password
cannot seem to find a way to list all connected clients, just those connected to wireless - I eventually found this, but it was buried under network --> dhcp --> connected clients.
GUI interface could be polished up a bit, some features appear to be buried and hard to locate

2.0 out of 5 stars I have multiple gripes with this router, July 23, 2013
Houlihan Jarvalds (Springfield, MO United States) - See all my reviews
At first I was pleased by performance and dual-band feature-set. Seemed to work well and the Router's configuration screens have some cool features like keeping track of bandwidth consumed.

Then I realized there is no way to do port forwarding with this router. If you want any address on your network to be extra-visible to the Internet, you have to set it up as in the DMZ (which can only be done with one address at a time).

Also the route config page always kicks me out and asks for my password. If I go into the config screen, I enter password, change 1 thing, then it asks for password again. It's almost un-usable.

Finally, a few weeks ago there was a support page for this product on the ianker web site, Google even still has it cached, but now this page has been completely removed from [...] it seems like this router (or ANY routers for that matter) is no longer mentioned AT ALL on that official Anker web site.

I'm going back to my previous router.

2.0 out of 5 stars Connection drop and worst web-based interface ever, June 11, 2013
I bought this, used it for few days and returned it. Don't buy this if you want a good router with good coverage and speed. The web-based interface is worst I've ever seen. It keeps logging you out every 2 seconds. The most frustrating router ever.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not sure yet, February 25, 2013
Setup was easy and for a week this unit worked flawlessly. After that it started to have 2 issues: (1) occasional dropped signal, for no apparent reason; (2) When powered up in the morning, it often then requires being unplugged and restarted before it will work properly.

So far, customer service has been great, and I am awaiting my replacement. Hopefully this one will work better.

A month or so later... The replacement unit has worked much better. There is still occasionally an issue of difficult restart after it's been off all night, but this problem occurs less than before. Also, I have not once (so far, fingers crossed) been kicked off while in use, as had occurred with the first unit. Updated from 3 to 4 stars.