1,682 Reviews
 (1,093)

4.0 out of 5 stars A little less money, a little more work
I bought this Uspeed USB 3.0 PCI-E card from Amazon in order to have the latest and much faster USB on my existing computers. This is a very cost effective and fairly simple way to increase your USB speeds by a factor of 10 over USB 2.0(if you have USB 3.0 capable devices). If you're transferring large files or cloning disks via USB docks this is the way to go...
Published on July 25, 2012 by Gene

3.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive USB 3 Card
Published 23 months ago by J. Walton

4.0 out of 5 stars A little less money, a little more work, July 25, 2012
This review is from: Anker® Uspeed PCI-E to USB 3.0 2 Port Express Card, with 1 USB 3.0 20-pin Connector and 5V 4 Pin Male Power Connector (Personal Computers)

PROS: It's less expensive than most similar items and works perfectly when installed correctly. Physical installation is simple and obvious - be sure to insert the card fully into the appropriate slot and then attach one of the Molex 4-pin connectors from your power supply.

CONS: I bought three of these for various household computers (different brands and specs) and none of the driver installation disks worked with any of the computers. The Uspeed website (USPEED.CO) is a frustrating mish-mash of broken links, confusing navigation, and missing drivers.

HELPFUL HINTS: Try installing the driver disk and it may work. If not, you can try navigating into the Device Manager in Windows and tell Windows to try and find the driver (apparently works for some, but didn't work for me). Or you can save yourself some grief and go straight to VIA for the driver. What you want is VIA's xhci (extensible host controller interface) USB 3.0 driver. Currently the driver is named VL810 Superspeed USB Hub Controller Firmware 0.89 - Released July 22, 2011. Don't bother trying the Intel xhci driver, it's easier to find but won't work.

UPDATE: The latest update to the driver is now version 0.95. VIA says that this update "Resolved issue with Intel USB 3.0 Host where devices were occasionally not properly re-enumerated after resuming from S3/S4, warm-boot, or cold boot." (I did not have that issue with version 0.89)

UPDATE II: Please read the comments section attached to this review as another helpful user has turned up some interesting information.

CURRENT VIA URL: (Deleted by Amazon)

WARNING: If you do a Google search for the driver most of your hits are going to be from outfits trying to con you into downloading their proprietary driver-update software. Don't do it, your computer will end up slow and cluttered with spam. Get the driver directly from VIA.

UPDATE III: Again, please read the comments section. Many users have been very helpful with reporting their experiences, tips, & tricks.

3.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive USB 3 Card, January 29, 2013
This card adds teriffic USB3 speeds to a computer with one caveat. If you try to operate more than one USB 3 device at a time, it will slow down significantly. If you have a USB 2 device plugged in, the entire card slows down to USB 2 speeds. If you want to run multiple USB 3 devices without any slowdown, you will need a controller card that has a separate controller chip for each channel and a PCI-E 4 or 16 port interface. An example is the RocketU Quad USB 3.0 Card. It is about 4-5 times more expensive as this card.

5.0 out of 5 stars Uspeed USB 3.0 PCI-E -port 4card WORKS but needs POWER!, July 27, 2012
Uspeed USB 3.0 PCI-E -port 4card WORKS but needs POWER!

Will not work without the power connected. If you only have sata power connectors as provided on newer PC's you will have to buy a SATA Power (15-pin Male) to 4-pin Molex (Male) adapter cable which is NOT INCLUDED.

There are no instructions. You must install the card first, connect the power and then install the software. The card works great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Working Fine on XP, October 2, 2012
Quit saying there are no instructions. The instruction are on the back of the box, at the bottom. Here's some help:

1. Plug the card into the motherboard, and also plug a 4-pin (Molex) power plug to the Uspeed board. The Uspeed board needs power. If you don't have a 4-pin Molex connector available from your power supply (unlikely), then you'll have to buy a Y adapter, often called a "twofer."

2. Run the provided tiny CD. If it doesn't start automatically, then go to Explorer and 2click "Setup.exe." Let things proceed to a finish, and done.

In other news, I just wanted some more USB ports, the 3.0 is a bonus for me. I don't even have any 3.0 devices. But the Uspeed card works fine with 2.0, and the wide spacing between ports is another bonus because it allows airflow to USB flash cards. Electronic devices hate heat, and love airflow that dissipates heat.

I saw some comments on the quality of construction. The board itself seems of pretty standard quality to me. As thick as any, and no more flexible than any. It's a small board so maybe it appears weak, but I don't see that it really is.

The 4-pin Molex receptacle is a plastic piece attached to a circuit board, so it obviously is not robust (nor are any). Hold the receptacle, not the board, and wiggle the connection together as gently as you can. "Gently" is not going to be very gentle because Molex plugs tend to run tight, but the idea is to hold the connector itself, try not to stress the joint between the connector and the board. This is so with all circuit board connections.

Don't plug the Molex in backward. Two corners are cut away to indicate correct plug orientation, but it's possible to force--really force--things together backward. This causes smoke.

4.0 out of 5 stars Replacement card works perfectly, August 31, 2012
Another update:___________________________________
Replacement card has now failed. Causes system hang. It never quite fit perfectly in any available slot, and now won't seat fully causing some connection issues which may be responsible for the system hangs. I had to remove it, and am looking for a different replacement.

Update:___________________________________________

After I returned the card, and posted my review, I received email from Laptopmate Customer Support.
The initial emails were slightly off target as to my problem, and order status, but subsequent email contact was on the mark.
I was offered, and accepted, another card sent to me for testing.

This time, the card, and driver, installed without issues. I used the driver at "uspeed dot co" "68UPPCIE-4SU", rather than the enclosed mini-cd. The power connector was snug, but not a problem.

The card has performed as should be expected; no issues with the 2 USB 3.0 devices I've tried; no glitches on over 1Tb of data transferred from an internal HDD to an external HDD; no problems moving large image files, video, and audio; no problems using the card with a USB 3.0 card reader.

I am amending this review to reflect the new results.
I hope you find this helpful. Cheers.

Previously posted:___________________________________________ Crashed my Win 7 64 bit System

As others noted; no instructions, Molex connector too tight, minimal packaging (ok by me for ecological reasons), no support available.

After getting the drivers installed, the device would only work for a short time before causing a full system freeze on my otherwise stable Windows 7 64bit system, requiring a forced shutdown and hard reboot with subsequent data loss.

I tried various things to resolve this over 3 days, with continual freezes,
then RMA'd it. Amazon's return process worked smoothly and reasonably quickly.

I would not by another item from this manufacturer til such matters are resolved in their product line.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good card once you find the driver for it!, October 12, 2012
Mike P. (Massapequa, NY USA) - See all my reviews
So, I don't usually leave reviews but thought this might be useful to others. I ordered the card this past week, receiving it on Wed 10/10. I could not get the card functioning in Windows 7 64 bit. Device manger saw the card but did not know what it was. The included CD did not appear to have any files on it. (or at least my computer could not read it)

Per another review I tried all the drivers from the VIA website. Whenever I tried to install any of the VIA drivers it could not find any relevant hardware in my machine. I also downloaded the driver from the uSpeed website but that was just the VIA driver as well and had the same issue.

I decided to swap over to my test install of Windows 8. It turns out Windows 8 includes a driver for this card and it worked right away. From the Win8 device manager I was able to see the card identified as "Fresco Logic xHCI FL1100 series".

There is a Fresco website but they sell OEM only and don't provide drivers that I could find. I did a search and found two driver files for the Fresco Logic chip. One, from HP support, did not work for me. The other from softpedia did work. If I do a Google search for "fresco logic usb 3.0 driver" the softpedia link is the 4th result for me. The driver version is 3.5.36. The file is about 6 Megabytes. After loading that driver everything is working great on Win 7 64 bit.

I'm seeing 90MB/s reads and 25MB/s writes to a USB3 stick plugged into this.

Hope this helps a bit!

5.0 out of 5 stars USpeed PCI-E USB 3.0, August 11, 2012
Very easy to install. I am running Windows 8 preview. Was worried I might have trouble with drivers. Did not need the driver disc as windows installed it without any intervention from me. Works perfect.

1.0 out of 5 stars Uspeed Superspeed USB 3.0 PCI-E Card with 4 USB 3.0 Ports, August 30, 2012
Uspeed Superspeed USB 3.0 PCI-E Card with 4 USB 3.0 Ports (with 4-pin Power Connector)

I received the card very quickly. I very quickly installed it following the directions printed on the box but nowhere else.
I'll cut to the chase now. The drivers provided would not load and I received an obscure error code. I'm on Win 7 so I figure the drivers are not compatible with my OS. I began a long search for their website and finally found what looked like a website that might contain info on troubleshooting and updated drivers. I was wrong. The driver package on the site gave me the same results. At this point I packed it in and up and returned the pox infected card back to Amazon and ordered a card from another company. The new card arrived, I installed it and have had no problems with it. Lo an behold in 2 days I receive another card exactly like the first in every way. It didn't work either. I didn't order it as I applied for a refund on the returned card. So I wonder what happened to my refund. In short, if you're smarter than I am, take a chance and order the Uspeed card otherwise spend a little more and get a card that works first time every time.

4.0 out of 5 stars great product, missing drivers, June 14, 2012
Installed the card easily. If you have problems MAKE SURE YOU PLUG IN THE 4 pin MOLEX POWER cable. I hooked up my front case ports to the header on the card.

Drivers do not automatically install, and the driver CD they sent was a bad burn and couldn't be read by any of my computers. You can get them from VIAs website here: [...]
Works great, nice and fast!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite a good PCI-E card at a very fair price, May 10, 2012
This PCI-E card works as well as my WD USB 3.0 PCI-E card, but at a far lower price with 2 additional USB 3.0 ports.
It's also very easy to install: Shut down PC and installed Card in the PCI-E slot (both PCI-E X1 and PCI-E 16 will be OK) , then turn on the PC, insert CD and run the driver application. I'm seeing speeds ranging from 60MB to 90MB per second, that's Markedly faster than USB 2.0 ports.