2,497

on December 11, 2012
Size Name: 4-port with Adapter
For people trying to choose between this hub and the apparently similar AK-68UPHUB-02B4U (ASIN B007BWTOHU) at
"[Latest VIA VL812 Chipset] Uspeed USB 3.0 Superspeed 4 Port Hub, USB 3.0 Cable and Power Adapter included, Compatible with Windows XP / Vista / 7 / 8 Mac OS - Ultra Slim 0.5inch Profile by Uspeed"

the single most important point to note is that THIS one (the larger sized hub) uses a 12V 2A power supply, which can supply 24W to the hub. This should be enough for most situations where you have four bus-powered devices (eg 2.5" drives without power supplies) but it should be noted that the manufacturer states that
"To ensure a stable connection, the connected devices must not exceed a combined current of 3.4A. This is especially important for any devices with high power requirements such as "self-powered" hard drives which draw power from the USB port. We recommend that you avoid simultaneously connecting four or more of such "self-powered" devices."
In principle 4 within-spec bus powered devices COULD hit 3.6 W (900mW per device) and in practice many SSDs draw more than 900mW in brief bursts when there are a lot of back-to-back writes.
So you should think of this device as being able to power 3 power-hungry USB3 devices, and one not-so-power-hungry device (eg a USB2 device or an externally powered device).

Compare with the slim-profile USpeed device. That has a power supply of 5V at 2.5A, so only 12.5W --- basically half what this fuller-sized device offers. Meaning it would be an OK device if you know that your power needs are minimal, ie all, or all but one, of your connected devices will be VERY low power (eg keyboard) or self-powered.

Apart from that, they have the same chips inside and so I should perform the same. The physical layout of the slim device is, IMHO preferable, allowing you to connect a "fat" USB connector on the one side where it does not block the other connectors, but that is less important. Your primary deciding factor should be how much bus power you need.
This issue of power matters. As far as I can tell, many of the 1 and 2 star reviews of these devices boil down to people who either are not using the power supply (assuming that their computer will supply enough power to the hub for all purposes, and so don't understand why a power supply was included with the hub) or who have plugged in too many power hungry devices into the slim hub.

If you want to learn more, USpeed was fairly recently acquired by Anker, so go to ianker.com to see all the tech details.
on September 26, 2013
Size Name: 4-port blackVerified Purchase
I bought this Anker USB 3.0 4 port splitter on June 21st, 2013 through Amazon. The shape of the product I have looks a little different than what's pictured on this page now (mine is square-shaped), but my order history links back here so the seller must have changed the image and the design of the product. When I first got it, I was very pleased by the price, performance, size, and appearance of the splitter.

It worked well with all my USB devices - wireless mouse, Plantronics audio headset, external hard drives and more. It also worked well on both Windows 8 & 7 devices. Then one fine day about three weeks ago (early September) it just suddenly stopped working. It hadn't been dropped, damaged, subjected to extreme temperature, abused or even improperly stored (I've stored it in the little anti-static plastic sleeve it ships in, and I pack it safely inside my laptop bag).

I'm still trying to reach out to the manufacturer using the information provided by Amazon but I've had no luck. Since it's outside the 60 day return window, I cannot just return it and get my money back or a replacement. And this hasn't inspired confidence in me to buy the same product again despite the good reviews that others have posted. I'm rather disappointed that the device failed on me in such a short time. If it had died after a year or more, I wouldn't have bothered to even write this review.

Sadly, there aren't many USB 3.0 splitters in this price range to begin with, let alone find ones that have positive reviews. AmazonBasics has a comparable offering but it is extremely backordered and not available until January or February of 2014. I have a Microsoft Surface Pro, which has only 1 USB port, and it's never fun (or practical) to have to choose between plugging an external mouse, a thumb drive, or a headset. For the interim, I had to settle for a USB 2.0 splitter from AmazonBasics, since I travel a lot and can't afford to be without one.

If you're considering buying this, I would advise you to proceed with caution. The ride will be fun, but it may not last very long. Of course, as they say, YMMV (your mileage may vary).

UPDATE (3/14/14): I've been meaning to update this review but kept forgetting to. Shortly after my review, the manufacturer reached out to me and sent me a replacement at no cost to me. The replacement unit looks different from the first one I received. It's a little thicker / heftier - actually looks like the product image they use now. I've had the replacement piece since October 2013, and it has been working perfectly. I appreciate the manufacturer's prompt response to my review, and their effort to remedy the situation. I've upgraded my rating of the item from 1 star to 5 stars.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 16, 2013
Size Name: 4-port blackVerified Purchase
It has a really nice design and work with 3.0 usb port. It's just very frustrating to plug in the usb. It's extremely difficult. Already returned the product. Viva Amazon Prime.

12/25/2013

I received a complimentary replacement from Anker, I have to give kudos to the Anker customer service. Within couple of days of review, I received multiple offers to receive a placement and give the company a chance to make it right. The plug in issue is not there anymore and the hub works great. I increased my rating from 2 to 5 stars, simply because great customer service and decent product. I'd definitely would purchase another one from the company if I should need one in the future.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 24, 2014
Size Name: 4-port Aluminum SliverVerified Purchase
The AH430 aluminum hub works very well with my 2012 iMac running OS X 10.9.3 Mavericks. When both USB 2 & USB 3 devices are plugged into the hub, it will appear in the System Information app as two hubs, one on a "USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Bus" with the USB 3 items attached to it, & the other on a "USB Hi-Speed Bus" with the USB 2 items attached to that.

Blackmagic Disk Speed Test shows that it can deliver USB 3 speeds to USB 3 devices even when both USB 2 & 3 ones are plugged into it. I saw no difference in transfer speeds between plugging a fast USB 3 hard drive into the hub & directly into one of the iMac's ports.

Since the hub does not have a separate power supply, it is limited to supplying a maximum total of 900 ma (0.9 amps) to all the devices plugged into it, & no more than 500 ma (0.5 amps) to any USB 2 device. This means it will charge my iPhone 5s, but at only half the rate of Apple's 1 amp "cube" charger. For those using a wired Apple aluminum keyboard, note that the USB ports on the keyboard's built-in hub can supply more than 500 ma to an iPhone to charge it, but only if the keyboard is plugged directly into the Mac. If the keyboard is plugged into this (or any other) hub, the iPhone will only get 500 ma.

However, unlike the keyboard this hub still supplies power when the Mac is asleep (the green light stays lit) so it will continue to charge an iPhone when the Mac is asleep, if slowly.

The fit & finish of the AH430 is excellent & the supplied USB 3 cable appears to be a rugged, high quality one. However, the one I got was a little stiff & 22" long, slightly less than the advertised two feet.

On a final note, I want to mention that Anker's customer support was great. I had some questions about their hubs & my email about that was answered promptly & completely.
on February 21, 2012
Size Name: 4-port with AdapterVerified Purchase
I purchased this USB 3.0 hub to go with my new home system, and am very pleased with the unit. It's very compact, but still manages to space the USB 3.0 ports out better than some of the competing USB 3.0 hubs. I can actually plug in my huge USB 3.0 'big-toe' flash drive and still be able to use the USB plug next to it.

The hub is powered, and I've tested it so far with two simultaneous devices... it seems to be providing plenty of juice for them. As for performance, it appears to be working flawlessly... pushing my USB 3.0 devices as fast as they'll go. From what I can tell, the hub's max throughput is as fast as or faster than any of the devices I currently have to plug in to it.

And I can't conclude the review without mentioning the exemplary customer service from the hub's manufacturer. When I received the hub, I was disappointed to note that the included interface cable was too short to reach from my system up to my desk; I would guess they put together the package with laptop use in mind... it's certainly light-weight and compact enough. I contacted the manufacturer and they bent over backwards to make it right. And above that, at my request they almost immediately updated the product description to explicitly note the cable length, so that future buyers would have that information. I can honestly say that I was quite pleasantly surprised. They seem quite dedicated to supporting their customers, both current and future.

Based on my experience, I can definitely recommend both the Anker hub and the manufacturer behind it.
on June 18, 2014
Size Name: 4-port Aluminum Sliver
I've already had the chance to test this hub for a couple of weeks and I like it. Certainly, this is not necessarily the most recommended product for just any user. A friend of mine is looking for a reasonably priced hub to dock about six or seven different things, from printer and scanner to hard drives, so this is not for him, becasue of the power some of his stuff needs. I, on the other hand, went with this model because I need an easy and really fast way to connect a maximum of three portable storage units, since I usually run HD video from flash memories or portable hard drives to my iMac. When I started to use it, I had to force the USB connectors a bit, because it is like a pair of new shoes: you have to loosen it a tad. After four or six times, though, connectors seat perfectly. My only complain doesn't come from the unit, actually (that so far performs perfectly), but from the kind of interface that's still the most usual: I've had the chance to test only one USB3.0 device, because most of the stuff in the market still complies to USB 2.0. The velcro is I nice touch, and very helpful if you handle connections often, but I still have to see how easyly it will peel off my desk.

UPDATE (06/08/2014): Some things have happened since I purchased this product. First, the USB cable that came with it became loose after I disconnected and connected it a second time. Then, the people from ANKER customer service contacted me to know how I was doing, and when I told them about the cable, they asked me for the serial of the product to process a refund and to do quality control. When I tried to release the hub from the velcro that came with it to read the serial, the plastic side of its case fell apart because one of its two screws was defective. So, I still think the electronics of the product are superb, the ports themselves work properly (and really fast) after all this mess, but mine was not, after all, a sturdy hub. ANKER is a decent company, they actually contacted me first (which says a lot about their customer service policies), they offered me a full refund and their excuses, and I felt pampered. But this shouldn't have happened in the first place. I feel compelled to edit my first review because I still think it's all a matter of quality control, and maybe someone else has a better "version" of the product that, by chance, may have been defective in my case. On the other hand, I feel compelled to do it because I feel this company did things right.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon April 10, 2013
Size Name: 4-port black
Well, it was only in 2012 that I jumped on the USB 3.0 bandwagon. Despite being VERY technologically inclined, my budget never seems to allow for cutting-edge upgrades. The one upside to this predicament is that by the time I upgrade there are plenty of solid accessories on the market. This is my fourth USB 3.0 hub, the first two were unsatisfactory in their design and the third is in use with my test bench PC. I tried this on my main desktop using both Windows 7 and OS X (works great on both), using two Mushkin SSDs and a Sandisk Extreme Pro CF as my benchmarking drives. I would like to thank Anker for sending me this product in exchange for an honest review.

GENERAL SPECS
- The hub itself is 2.5" on each side, and just under 0.5" thick.
- The hub has four female USB 3.0 expansion port, one on each side.
- It has a USB 3.0 cable attached - it measure 6" in length. The cable has built-in strain relief on both sides

DESIGN/QUALITY
Overall I was very pleased with the design and quality of the hub. It is a glossy, piano-black, that looks good but definitely attracts fingerprints. It seems sturdy enough, held together by four screws that will do the job much better than internal clips (pretty common). As mentioned above, the USB cable has built-in strain relief (the rubber coverings you see on USB cables), definitely important for a device that travels around with your laptop and is constantly being pulled out/plugged in. One really nice feature is that the USB ports are all on completely different sides - there's nothing worse than having to unplug a device to fit another in as seen on hubs with all the ports lined up in a row! I have a rather wide CF card reader, and an SD card reader where the card itself sticks out the side, and there is absolutely no way for me to use the aforementioned "aligned" USB hubs. Bonus points for that!

PERFORMANCE
Well as with any USB 3.0 device, it must work synergistically with your other components. My motherboard has built-in USB 3.0 (check), my peripherals are USB 3.0 (check) and finally both the drives I was using are SSDs with high read/write speeds on SATA III (triple check). Keeping in mind that speed specifications are (a) partly marketing and (b) theoretical outputs, you still should be able to achieve some really impressive speeds with this hub!

Test 1: 95/90MBs CF Card using USB 3.0 Card Reader
Well, this was pretty much a given, and my benchmarking software reported my fastest read speed at 91MB/s and my fastest write speed at 88MB/s. No surprises that with relatively low max speeds, the hub/chipset would have no problem handling the CF card

Test 2: SSD to SSD File transfer
With one SSD in my PC and the other in an IcyDock Docking Station, I fired up the benchmarking software once more. I was VERY pleased to see that both maximum rates were less than 10% off of the drives' rated speeds (550MB/s read 515MB/s write). To ensure fairness, I performed the same test with the docking station plugged directly into the USB 3.0 port on my motherboard, with very close results.

OVERALL
I was very pleased to see that this hub did not bottleneck speeds whatsoever, and managed to keep up with everything very nicely. I am particularly fond of the design of this device, that allows me to keep whatever I want plugged in without things getting cramped between ports. With the built-in cable, this is ideal for desktop and laptop use, and reduces clutter by not having a lengthy cable that you have to run behind your computer. So far, I can highly recommend this hub, and will update this review if there are any issues with quality over time.
on July 17, 2012
Size Name: 4-port with AdapterVerified Purchase
You can tell that this item isn't made with the best materials because it's light and feels a little flimsy, but honestly, so what? It works very well and doesn't look bad on the desk when you take care of cable management. I used Velcro to fasten mine down and it makes it feel sturdy and solid. I also taped the cords down in tracks so that they are organized. The one real downside I see to this is that the power cord is pretty short. I have mine about the middle of my desk and the cord barely makes it down the back of the desk to the floor. I'd say give it a shot, probably there's a really small chance that you'll get a defective one. Most people who write reviews are the ones that had problems. There's probably an infinite number more who were fully satisfied so that had no reason to go back and write a review. Keep that in mind.
on September 7, 2014
Size Name: 4-port Aluminum SliverVerified Purchase
Not only does the product not work well when it is physically still in tact, it will break quickly. Like many other reviewers of this product on Amazon, I had the same issue of the usb 3 port on the back completely breaking. It is unusable at this point I also had many issues of this product not being recognized once plugged in. I am using a 2013 model macbook pro and everytime I had this product engaged with my computer, it would somehow block my wifi connection. This is a complete waste of money and is unstable at best. AVOID!!!
on May 16, 2012
Size Name: 4-port with AdapterVerified Purchase
I purchased this hub solely to support my USB 3.0 devices now that I have a laptop with USB 3.0 ports. All I can say is it works well with USB 2.0 devices but anything 3.0, nothing happens. The hub is properly detected by Windows so it doesn't seem the problem is there.

I have read other reviews which indicated great customer support but I wasn't able to even call customer support. There is no phone number on the packaging and all searches for "Uspeed" only yield product pages. Finally, I contacted Amazon and asked them for the manufacturers number and they weren't able to give me one..

In the end, I had to return the product so the stars really go out to Amazon for making the return process easy with a return label.

It's important to note that I have 3 different USB 3.0 devices which are each recognized by the USB 3.0 ports on my laptop and each of them function at 3.0 high speed as they should. All the devices have the proper cables so the problem can only be with the Uspeed hub. It just will not detect 3.0 devices.

Final reason for just 2 stars is the product is built very cheap (plastic) and you must be very careful not to crush it as the plastic gives in when holding it in place. The ports are kind of tight. The cable which comes with the hub is approximately 18 inches long so don't plan on having the hub too far away from your system unless you have a longer 3.0 approved cable.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations