Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now DOTD

TOP 100 REVIEWERon April 10, 2013
Well, it was only in 2012 that I jumped on the USB 3.0 bandwagon. Despite being VERY technologically inclined, my budget never seems to allow for cutting-edge upgrades. The one upside to this predicament is that by the time I upgrade there are plenty of solid accessories on the market. This is my fourth USB 3.0 hub, the first two were unsatisfactory in their design and the third is in use with my test bench PC. I tried this on my main desktop using both Windows 7 and OS X (works great on both), using two Mushkin SSDs and a Sandisk Extreme Pro CF as my benchmarking drives. I would like to thank Anker for sending me this product in exchange for an honest review.

- The hub itself is 2.5" on each side, and just under 0.5" thick.
- The hub has four female USB 3.0 expansion port, one on each side.
- It has a USB 3.0 cable attached - it measure 6" in length. The cable has built-in strain relief on both sides

Overall I was very pleased with the design and quality of the hub. It is a glossy, piano-black, that looks good but definitely attracts fingerprints. It seems sturdy enough, held together by four screws that will do the job much better than internal clips (pretty common). As mentioned above, the USB cable has built-in strain relief (the rubber coverings you see on USB cables), definitely important for a device that travels around with your laptop and is constantly being pulled out/plugged in. One really nice feature is that the USB ports are all on completely different sides - there's nothing worse than having to unplug a device to fit another in as seen on hubs with all the ports lined up in a row! I have a rather wide CF card reader, and an SD card reader where the card itself sticks out the side, and there is absolutely no way for me to use the aforementioned "aligned" USB hubs. Bonus points for that!

Well as with any USB 3.0 device, it must work synergistically with your other components. My motherboard has built-in USB 3.0 (check), my peripherals are USB 3.0 (check) and finally both the drives I was using are SSDs with high read/write speeds on SATA III (triple check). Keeping in mind that speed specifications are (a) partly marketing and (b) theoretical outputs, you still should be able to achieve some really impressive speeds with this hub!

Test 1: 95/90MBs CF Card using USB 3.0 Card Reader
Well, this was pretty much a given, and my benchmarking software reported my fastest read speed at 91MB/s and my fastest write speed at 88MB/s. No surprises that with relatively low max speeds, the hub/chipset would have no problem handling the CF card

Test 2: SSD to SSD File transfer
With one SSD in my PC and the other in an IcyDock Docking Station, I fired up the benchmarking software once more. I was VERY pleased to see that both maximum rates were less than 10% off of the drives' rated speeds (550MB/s read 515MB/s write). To ensure fairness, I performed the same test with the docking station plugged directly into the USB 3.0 port on my motherboard, with very close results.

I was very pleased to see that this hub did not bottleneck speeds whatsoever, and managed to keep up with everything very nicely. I am particularly fond of the design of this device, that allows me to keep whatever I want plugged in without things getting cramped between ports. With the built-in cable, this is ideal for desktop and laptop use, and reduces clutter by not having a lengthy cable that you have to run behind your computer. So far, I can highly recommend this hub, and will update this review if there are any issues with quality over time.
on May 3, 2013
This hub has been working fine for me. I typically use it for two USB 3 portable hard drives that get their power from the USB port--with both plugged in at the same time. I haven't had any problems yet, after about a month.

There was a warning in the paperwork NOT to use the hub for power-hungry devices; but the hard drives chug along with no problems. I used it once, with the two hard drives and a portable Blu-ray writer all at the same time with no problem. I couldn't feel that the hub heated up at all, either.

It's tiny, fast and inexpensive.
on August 16, 2014
I got this so that I could plug more than one USB peripheral into my Microsoft Surface Pro 3 without purchasing the dock. It works great and the cord is just the right length to allow the hub to sit on a desk and be positioned alongside the keyboard or between the screen and the kickstand. I like being able to plug in a mouse, keyboard, and my phone. Only negative is that I would like to see a slimmer more minimalistic design. I also appreciated the relatively environmentally friendly packaging.
review image
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I bought this hub about 6 months ago to make the front panel USB 3.0 ports on my desktop computer a little more accessible and also to add a few convenience ports. The cable is only 1’ long but that is enough for me to plug it in to a port on the computer that is not easy to get to and mount the hub at the edge of my desk. Anker probably designed this more to be used as a portable hub with a laptop computer, but essentially for me it has been performing a similar function.

The hub is about as small as it can get and has an attractive (not bright) illuminated blue band to show that it is working. For my application it is especially nice that the back of the hub is one large smooth surface so I can use Velcro tape to attach it. It’s surprising how few hubs are as easy to mount.

Because I’ve had hubs from other companies that performed erratically I held off reviewing this until I was sure it was working properly. After 6 months of non-stop use with no issues I’m sure it will just chug along from now on.

The great news is it is currently selling for under $10-USD which is an amazing price for a 3.0 hub. It’s attractive, functional and a great value. That earns it 5-stars.
review image
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality when I received this Anker USB 3.0 Hub. It arrived in a nice quality attractive shipping box that can be used for storage if desired and was packed in a static bag.

It is small (fits in the palm of my hand) but substantial feeling. It is small enough to easily fit in one of the zipped pockets on my laptop case.

I am using this with my HP Pavilion dv7-7010us 17.3-Inch Laptop (Black). It is loaded with Windows 7 and has one 2.0 port and three 3.0 ports, which is nice but you can never have enough ports in this electronic age.

I like the design with the power cord coming from the corner of the small, square hub, which leaves all four sides of the hub open to have a 3.0 port.

I have used the hub with my Canon camera, downloading pictures to my laptop. I have downloaded video from my JVC video recorder. I have uploaded music and pictures onto my SanDisk Extreme 64gb 3.0 flash drive. All have worked perfectly and downloading/uploading has been extra quick.

I also like that the hub comes with an 18 month extended warranty. That sure can't be beat for the price, which is extremely reasonable. And they actually have the service phone number and email address on the packaging, rather than trying to track someone down on a website if the need arises.

It also has a built-in surge protector. I don't know if that is an industry standard but I'm betting it's not. Nice touch.

NOTE: I received a free hub from Anker in exchange for my honest review.
on April 18, 2013
I recently purchased an Acer Iconia w700 windows 8 tablet. I purchased the USB hub for the tablet when I am using it without the docking station but need more than the one USB 3.0 port. I thought this would be perfect. Problem is it doesn't work with my wireless mouse (USB 2.0) and sometimes - not always - it won't work with my new 500Gb WD Passport portable HD. It is intermittent so I'm not sure what the deal is there. The biggest beef is the wireless mouse. It works great with the docking station but not the hub.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 25, 2014
I think the ONLY thing I would say I wish this product had, was a slightly longer usb cord. And I'm only talking about another inch or so (of course I'm referring to my exact needs). But don't let that discourage you from purchasing. Just got mine today and it's very well packed (A+ on the design of the packaging). Just plug and play. Can't get much easier than that.

The instructions say not to use it with hard drives (although I'm not sure why), but that's exactly what I bought this for. I have a 1 terabyte external hard drive and a dual hard drive enclosure with two 2 terabyte hard drives in it (for a total of 4 terabytes) connected to this and I have no problems whatsoever.

Something odd did happen though - in an attempt to declutter the left side of my laptop a bit, I plugged my tabletop usb microphone (that I use for my radio show) into it and all of a sudden my speakers stopped working. For about 30 minutes I kept scratching my head (I had unplugged everything right before because I cleaned my desk off) and decided to plug the mic into one of the usb ports on this device. Well, for whatever reason, when I connect my usb mic to this hub, my speakers stop working lol NOT a deal breaker whatsoever as I have 3 free usb slots ON my computer anyway. Just thought that was funny/odd. Not sure what causes that but I did verify that's why my speakers stopped working.

Great product. I intend to test the speeds at some point, but as for now, I'm just happy I got another little gadget :)
on October 30, 2014
This USB 3.0 port extender works without flaw. I can have it fully loaded (all with USB 2.0 devices for right now, comprised of three USB hard drives) and this thing performs without a whimper. Highly recommend!
on September 2, 2014
Will not handle all your USB needs. If too much power is required from your USB device (external hard drives, CD burners, etc.), this will not power them and you'll have to find a different hub.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 30, 2014
This USB hub served perfectly to expand my laptop inputs and allow me to use a wireless mouse and keyboard and remote monitor while not giving up the existing ports for my data drives on travel.