1,911 Reviews
 (1,199)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast and reliable
[Edited to emphasize that this hub was tested on my USB *3.0* port.]

I installed this Uspeed USB 3.0 7-port hub on my Windows Vista Home Premium system. It was very easy, works right out of the box.

SPEED

I tested this against a USB 2.0 10-port hub I own and the results were as follows:

**...
Published on April 8, 2012 by Noname

1.0 out of 5 stars Power works great, that's about it...**Update**
Published on July 10, 2012 by james w jewhurst

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast and reliable, April 8, 2012
This review is from: Anker USB 3.0 7-Port Hub with 36W Power Adapter [12V 3A High-Capacity Power Supply and VIA VL812 Chipset] (Personal Computers)
[Edited to emphasize that this hub was tested on my USB *3.0* port.]

SPEED

** Transferring a 1.71 GB movie file to Western Digital My Book Essential 2 TB USB 3.0/2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive via the USB 2.0 hub: 1 minute, 6 seconds.

** Transferring a 1.71 GB movie file to the external hard drive via the Uspeed 3.0 hub: 26 seconds.

Both hubs were connected to a Plugable PCI Express to SuperSpeed USB 3.0 port. The difference in speed is significant.

POWER

Whereas my USB 2.0 hub could function without a power adapter when attached to a powered USB port, this USB 3.0 hub could not. It must be plugged into an outlet or no USB devices attached to it will work. Keyboard, mouse, fingerprint sensor, flash drive, headset, external hard drive -- no-powered, low-powered, self-powered -- the computer cannot see them unless the hub is plugged into the outlet.

When it's plugged in, this hub will charge USB devices even when the computer is off. That makes it a handy USB charging station. It's how I charge my Kindle Fire overnight.

COMPATIBILITY

I plugged in my USB 2.0 flash drive into this hub and it works. I plugged the hub into a USB 2.0 port. It works. This Uspeed USB 3.0 hub is compatible with all my 2.0 devices and ports.

LOGITECH

I know the product description says Logitech devices do not play nice with the hub. That had me a little worried, because I own all manner of Logitech devices. But not to worry. I have my Logitech mouse, Logitech keyboard and Logitech headset all hooked up to this hub right now. Everything works, no problem.

_____________________

PROS:
+ 7 USB ports
+ very fast transfer rates
+ compatible with Logitech devices
+ charges devices when computer is off
+ backwards compatible with 2.0 USB ports and devices

CONS:
- must be plugged into an outlet to work
- seven very bright, blue LED lights (only light up when port is active)

_____________________

OVERALL IMPRESSION

I love the increase in speed. Believe me, it's noticeable. This Uspeed hub plays nice with my computer and all my devices, no problems at all.

This product was provided for review by Laptopmate.
______________________

UPDATE 4/24/12: After using this hub for a few days, I have noticed one problem. Occasionally, some of the ports turn off and stop communicating with the computer. In order to reset them, I must take out the power plug and plug it back in. This happens with or without my Logitech devices. Laptopmate sent me a second unit that also behaves the same way. They have concluded it is the overload protection stepping in to turn off the ports. The way I use this hub, I consider it a minor inconvenience. It doesn't happen every day and it's easy to fix. It is an inconvenience all the same and may be more of a concern for those who rely on the hub to be always on, so I will adjust my rating from five stars to four stars.

UPDATE 5/12/12: I continued to try different tactics to fix my problem until finally, I tried plugging my hub into a different USB port on my computer. That seems to have done the trick. I did not think it was the port. My controllers were set to not turn off the device. Nevertheless, ever since I switched ports, I have not had any problems. Right now, I'm connected to now is a USB 2.0 port. I am going to install a different USB 3.0 port and try this hub on the new port later. For now, I will update the star rating to reflect my original opinion. It is a five star product.

UPDATE 6/12/12: From a comment I received, it appears unclear, so I will emphasize that the USB port was tested and reviewed on a USB 3.0 port. It was after some problems that I moved the product to a USB 2.0 port. The problems were unrelated to the hub. They were caused by the port, so that is why I rate this product 5 stars.

UPDATE 10/14/12: The above review is for the old version. The seller gave the updated version the same ASIN#. I will be reviewing the new version soon and amending this review shortly after.

UPDATE 10/27/12: The new and improved hub looks just like the old one but with two upgrades:

1) The power adapter was changed from 12V 2A to 12V 3A. What this means is it's better for charging high power devices. I always try to charge my tablet on devices with higher amps, because it charges more quickly.

2) It includes the latest VIA VL812 chip. The manufacturer claims it runs cooler, more efficiently and has broader compatibility. It's definitely cool to the touch, and I am impressed with the compatibility.

Remember my problem above with the Plugable PCIE USB 3.0 port? I have had absolutely no problems using this new and improved 7 port hub with that port. Wonderful! Now, I can plug my hub into that port and take full advantage of this hub's 3.0 capability.

This product's rating is a solid five stars and remains so. I am very happy with the improvements the manufacturer has made.

The upgraded product was provided for review by Laptopmate.

UPDATE 6/20/13: My apologies if the page changes. I just want to clarify my second unit is the 7 + 1 charging port. I am still using this hub.

UPDATE 8/3/13: I have found one product that works primarily on USB 2.0 ports: my ScanSnap scanner. It will not work with this 7 + 1 hub, but it will work with my Tek Republic TUH-300 USB 3.0 4 Port Portable Hub. So, the Anker is not completely backwards compatible with USB 2.0 products.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked fine for a little while, and then it just died without warning, September 25, 2013
I bought this Anker USB 3.0 4 port splitter on June 21st, 2013 through Amazon. The shape of the product I have looks a little different than what's pictured on this page now (mine is square-shaped), but my order history links back here so the seller must have changed the image and the design of the product. When I first got it, I was very pleased by the price, performance, size, and appearance of the splitter.

It worked well with all my USB devices - wireless mouse, Plantronics audio headset, external hard drives and more. It also worked well on both Windows 8 & 7 devices. Then one fine day about three weeks ago (early September) it just suddenly stopped working. It hadn't been dropped, damaged, subjected to extreme temperature, abused or even improperly stored (I've stored it in the little anti-static plastic sleeve it ships in, and I pack it safely inside my laptop bag).

I'm still trying to reach out to the manufacturer using the information provided by Amazon but I've had no luck. Since it's outside the 60 day return window, I cannot just return it and get my money back or a replacement. And this hasn't inspired confidence in me to buy the same product again despite the good reviews that others have posted. I'm rather disappointed that the device failed on me in such a short time. If it had died after a year or more, I wouldn't have bothered to even write this review.

Sadly, there aren't many USB 3.0 splitters in this price range to begin with, let alone find ones that have positive reviews. AmazonBasics has a comparable offering but it is extremely backordered and not available until January or February of 2014. I have a Microsoft Surface Pro, which has only 1 USB port, and it's never fun (or practical) to have to choose between plugging an external mouse, a thumb drive, or a headset. For the interim, I had to settle for a USB 2.0 splitter from AmazonBasics, since I travel a lot and can't afford to be without one.

If you're considering buying this, I would advise you to proceed with caution. The ride will be fun, but it may not last very long. Of course, as they say, YMMV (your mileage may vary).

UPDATE (3/14/14): I've been meaning to update this review but kept forgetting to. Shortly after my review, the manufacturer reached out to me and sent me a replacement at no cost to me. The replacement unit looks different from the first one I received. It's a little thicker / heftier - actually looks like the product image they use now. I've had the replacement piece since October 2013, and it has been working perfectly. I appreciate the manufacturer's prompt response to my review, and their effort to remedy the situation. I've upgraded my rating of the item from 1 star to 5 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Power works great, that's about it...**Update**, July 10, 2012
Ok, so I bought this for the 3.0 capability, and so far, I am far less than impressed. It powers devices great, but that's about it. I have an external that won't be read in any port. On the first day I had the product it read fine. Then a few hours into use it started to cut out, and now won't read at all, so I have to plug in directly to my pc. I have plugged in several other usb sticks and those don't even get recognized. I have a few USB powered things like a fan and small speaker set, those work great, because it's only for power. SO if you need a really cool expensive power port then this is your product

I will be contacting customer support for a fix or a refund. I basically paid $50 for a power port. Not very pleased and honestly probably won't buy another product from USpeed. I hope they can rectify this issue and help me out.

-James

**Update July 26, 2012**

Uspeed contacted me quite quickly upon initial review post. They made no hesitation to send me a new one in lieu of the defective one. They paid all shipping and return costs, and have also maintained excellent communication. That being said, I enjoy the product , and it is a nice edition to my collection. However, it does not work well with Western Digital Passports. It has a hard time maintaining connection, if it even makes one. Also sometimes will give connection issues to my external AOC brand monitor, which is USB connected. Like I said, sometimes. I find myself plugging directly into my laptop via USB is just easier and no worry of an issue. I have had no other issues with other USB thumb drives, I have no issues powering my little fan. Honestly for now, it'll do, but if any more issues arise, I will be contacting support.

By the way, excellent support, Sunnie is very nice and prompt, came to a fast conclusion of a solution. Cheers to Sunnie. I understand product nonsense happens. It's the support that determines the reaction. Kudos Uspeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks great but very difficult to plug into the usb ports., December 16, 2013
N.W. (California, USA) - See all my reviews
It has a really nice design and work with 3.0 usb port. It's just very frustrating to plug in the usb. It's extremely difficult. Already returned the product. Viva Amazon Prime.

12/25/2013

I received a complimentary replacement from Anker, I have to give kudos to the Anker customer service. Within couple of days of review, I received multiple offers to receive a placement and give the company a chance to make it right. The plug in issue is not there anymore and the hub works great. I increased my rating from 2 to 5 stars, simply because great customer service and decent product. I'd definitely would purchase another one from the company if I should need one in the future.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hold off if you have a Mac running 10.8.2, February 2, 2013
I purchased this to use on my New 27inch iMac but find it doesn't work well at all. When I connect my Eye TV USB tuner and launch Eye TV my whole system crashes. If I connect my iPhone to it I get numerous errors in itunes when syncing. If I connect my patriot USB3 flash drive transfer is slow. I have none of these problems when I connect directly to my Mac or through an older D-Link USB2 hub. The company did quickly respond to my email and sent me a replacement but that was no better. They have a firmware update for Mac Mountain Lion 10.8.2 but it only runs on Windows. How crazy Is that? You need a windows computer with USB3 to update this device to run on your Mac. They assure me a Mac version will be out soon but it has been almost a month and still no Mac version. In the mean time its useless. If you have a Mac with Mountain Lion 10.8.2 don't buy this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Uspeed 7-port USB 3.0 Hub Defective (Returned for credit.), July 8, 2012
This hub was used on the USB 3.0 port of a new MacBook Pro. It had a sporadic (defective) connection on Port-1. This port usually did not work, although on a rare occasion it did connect for a time, before dropping out and unmounting the drive with an error message. This presented the potential for file/data corruption.

The other 6 ports would occasionally dismount the external drives if the connector was laterally moved. The connection could be relatively easily broken with "normal" cable movement (such as when adjusting cable positions to plug in another drive.) This resulted in an error message that accompanied the spontaneous unmounting of the drive.

In trying to isolate the problem, drives were intentionally ejected, then switched to different ports, in an attempt to isolate a bad drive and/or cable. Different combinations of cables/drives were tested, all producing the same results. The problem appeared isolated to the hub.

It was noted that the USB 3.0 male connectors plugged in fully, up to the "hilt", on my new MacBook Pro. I've been using two different brands of 7-port USB 2.0 hubs for over 3 years with no broken connections or problems -- and the male connectors fully engage. On this Uspeed hub there was a gap of almost 3/16" between the "hilt" of the plug and the jack on the hub. It was unclear why the plugs did not go in all the way to fully engage and prevent lateral movement of the connectors. This lateral movement is what is believed to cause the intermittent connections and dismounting of the drives with the accompanying error message.

The problem with Port-1 may be a defect in this hub, but the lack of a solid and dependable connection on the other ports appears to be a design/component flaw.

Note: The Power adapter/supply was plugged in to a known good outlet. The indicator lights on the hub fully illuminated when the drives were mounted. Power was not a problem.

Amazon was helpful in applying for credit with the return of this hub. (Contact with the vendor was also positive as they recognized the defect and offered an exchange.)

07/21/12 19:45 Central - The vendor, LaptopMate, followed up by email after I'd gotten authorization to return the hub to Amazon for credit. The vendor offered a hub to try at no charge. I returned from a week long trip and expected to find the promised Uspeed hub waiting for me. It wasn't. I sent an email, with the thread of communications, to their support section this AM, but did not receive a reply or explanation. They did eventually follow up with a trial hub. The delay may have been due to miscommunication.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicely designed and lightning quick!, April 10, 2013
Well, it was only in 2012 that I jumped on the USB 3.0 bandwagon. Despite being VERY technologically inclined, my budget never seems to allow for cutting-edge upgrades. The one upside to this predicament is that by the time I upgrade there are plenty of solid accessories on the market. This is my fourth USB 3.0 hub, the first two were unsatisfactory in their design and the third is in use with my test bench PC. I tried this on my main desktop using both Windows 7 and OS X (works great on both), using two Mushkin SSDs and a Sandisk Extreme Pro CF as my benchmarking drives. I would like to thank Anker for sending me this product in exchange for an honest review.

GENERAL SPECS
- The hub itself is 2.5" on each side, and just under 0.5" thick.
- The hub has four female USB 3.0 expansion port, one on each side.
- It has a USB 3.0 cable attached - it measure 6" in length. The cable has built-in strain relief on both sides

DESIGN/QUALITY
Overall I was very pleased with the design and quality of the hub. It is a glossy, piano-black, that looks good but definitely attracts fingerprints. It seems sturdy enough, held together by four screws that will do the job much better than internal clips (pretty common). As mentioned above, the USB cable has built-in strain relief (the rubber coverings you see on USB cables), definitely important for a device that travels around with your laptop and is constantly being pulled out/plugged in. One really nice feature is that the USB ports are all on completely different sides - there's nothing worse than having to unplug a device to fit another in as seen on hubs with all the ports lined up in a row! I have a rather wide CF card reader, and an SD card reader where the card itself sticks out the side, and there is absolutely no way for me to use the aforementioned "aligned" USB hubs. Bonus points for that!

PERFORMANCE
Well as with any USB 3.0 device, it must work synergistically with your other components. My motherboard has built-in USB 3.0 (check), my peripherals are USB 3.0 (check) and finally both the drives I was using are SSDs with high read/write speeds on SATA III (triple check). Keeping in mind that speed specifications are (a) partly marketing and (b) theoretical outputs, you still should be able to achieve some really impressive speeds with this hub!

Test 1: 95/90MBs CF Card using USB 3.0 Card Reader
Well, this was pretty much a given, and my benchmarking software reported my fastest read speed at 91MB/s and my fastest write speed at 88MB/s. No surprises that with relatively low max speeds, the hub/chipset would have no problem handling the CF card

Test 2: SSD to SSD File transfer
With one SSD in my PC and the other in an IcyDock Docking Station, I fired up the benchmarking software once more. I was VERY pleased to see that both maximum rates were less than 10% off of the drives' rated speeds (550MB/s read 515MB/s write). To ensure fairness, I performed the same test with the docking station plugged directly into the USB 3.0 port on my motherboard, with very close results.

OVERALL
I was very pleased to see that this hub did not bottleneck speeds whatsoever, and managed to keep up with everything very nicely. I am particularly fond of the design of this device, that allows me to keep whatever I want plugged in without things getting cramped between ports. With the built-in cable, this is ideal for desktop and laptop use, and reduces clutter by not having a lengthy cable that you have to run behind your computer. So far, I can highly recommend this hub, and will update this review if there are any issues with quality over time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Caution does not work with Retina MBP, September 8, 2012
I purchased this for my retina MBP. For USB 2 devices, it worked intermittently and I noticed that my logitech mouse would not respond after the computer returned from sleep.
Unfortunately, it did not recognize a new WD USB 3 HD, a bytecc USB3 to ESATA, or a dat optic USB3 to ESATA adapter.
All three of which work fine, albeit at USB 2 speeds, with my old Belkin USB 2 hub.

If you have a Retina MBP, I would not recommend this device since none of the USB 3 devices are recognized by the OS, and since the light on the hub does not illuminate, the hub itself.

1.0 out of 5 stars Uspeed 7-Port USB 3.0 Hub, July 20, 2012
After three days using this hub, with only three out of the seven ports occupied, I discovered the following:
At various times during the day, the hub would go dark and the computer would lose the connection with it.
We leave our computers on 24/7 to accommodate automatic updates. When attempting to wake the computer in the morning we found that it could not be activated. The only solution was to kill the power at the UPS and then deal with the message "This computer did not shut down correctly".
After disconnecting the Uspeed hub, everything went back to normal operation.

We have asked for a refund and will try another brand.

1.0 out of 5 stars Needs Refinement. Requires power cycle to work., April 2, 2013
Like another reviewer, I've noticed that this device seems to stop working if no data transfer is happening for a long time. I have it plugged directly into a USB 3.0 port on my computer, and right now am connecting nothing but a USB 3.0 thumb drive from time to time, and a USB 3.0 multi-card reader full-time. If left connected on the running computer overnight, the blue lights on the populated ports of this device go out and unplugging and replugging the USB devices doesn't get it to work. If I unplug the power for the entire USB hub and reconnect it, then everything works again. It's like it goes to sleep and won't wake until powered up. I thought it may be computer related even though I've never had a similar problem with USB 2.0 hubs on this computer, but the same thing happens on a different brand computer on USB 3.0 ports.

Rate and Discover Movies