5.0 out of 5 stars True Classic - In TRUE Original Form
This 100th Anniversary Edition is just what it purports to be: a republishing of the original work, with original cover art.

Published on April 25, 2008 by D. Spurlock

1.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS NOT ANNE OF GREEN GABLES!
Look on the cover. It says "Adapted by". This is not Lucy Maud Montgomery's book, and it is not even well-written. The story has been ripped off and re-written for younger readers.

Published on August 6, 2010 by A. Miller

5.0 out of 5 stars True Classic - In TRUE Original Form, April 25, 2008

What the displeased readers below don't seem to realize is that the typos and lack of proofreading are part of the TRUTH about how this book was originally treated/printed. It was neither respected nor expected to do well (although the publishers -- and the author -- were quickly proven to have underestimated the gem that is Anne).

If you're looking for a modern treatment of this classic story, with every "t" crossed and "i" dotted, then this is not the edition for you.

If you're interested in imagining Maud Montgomery's true feelings, as she read her first printed novel, both her thrill at its mere publication and her resigned displeasure at the typos and misspellings, then this edition offers you a glimpse at the real condition of Anne's first publication, 100 years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of 3 Audio Versions, March 3, 2006
As another reviewer, I, too, have enjoyed the book and the DVDs immensely, but I have also grown to really enjoy audio books. Looking for an audiobook about a simpler time, I decided to buy the audio version of Anne of Green Gables. But the first version I purchased, read by Shelly Frasier, just didn't bring the book to life for me. Ms. Frasier seemed bored with the passages describing the beautiful flowers or some other such delights. So, I looked for another version. I then bought the version read by Susan O'Malley. It was better, but Anne still didn't have the energy I was longing for. So I tried once more and purchased this version, which is, in my opinion, the best of the three. The reader seems to actually enjoy the beauty of the world as much as Anne does. Sometimes the voice sounds just slightly too "old" for Anne's actual age, but the enthusiasm is captured wonderfully. If you love listening to audiobooks in the car to pass the time during long commutes, this is the version I would recommend - to all kindred spirits.

5.0 out of 5 stars For Any Girl with a Scope of Imagination~, February 12, 2002
I have wanted to read Anne of Green Gables for so long and finally did. Why did I wait?? I wish I would have read this book years ago. This is one of the best books I have ever read. Whether you are a child or adult you won't be able to help falling in love with Anne of Green Gables. This young Orphan is mistakenly sent to the home of brother and sister Matthew and Marilla. What they wanted was a boy to help around the house as they were getting older. What they got was a delightful little girl who warmed their hearts and touched their souls. Anne gets into all kinds of hijinks throughout the novel that will make you laugh with her and cry with her. Her imagination is unmatched. She is so insightful that you will find it impossible not to relate to her. Follow Anne through her escapades of learning what it is like to be wanted and loved by parents, finding her place in a strange school, and finally getting to have a bosom buddy..someone she can truly call a friend and share life's ups and downs with. As Anne sets one ambition after another for herself, you'll be cheering for her success. This would be a great book to read on your own or along with a child. When you're finished, Anne will feel like your own personal bosum buddy. This book is one you'll adore long after it's over.

1.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS NOT ANNE OF GREEN GABLES!, August 6, 2010
A. Miller (Broomfield, CO) - See all my reviews

Anne of Green Gables is a children's classic, and would be enjoyed by girls with a reading level of 5th grade and above. Girls aged 5 - 12 would love the stories. It is best to wait until you can read the actual version, though, for the value of the literature and the humor in the author's brilliant pen. Purchase an unabridged edition instead of this adapted version.

1.0 out of 5 stars Book I received looks nothing like this., November 3, 2010
This review is from: Anne Of Green Gables (Hardcover)
I love this book. I was looking to own a special edition, something to pass on to my daughter when she is old enough to enjoy it (she's two). I love the artwork shown on this edition. What I received however was nothing like this. What I received was a plain, dark blue, cover with the title on the binding only. Some might think "what's the big deal? Just return it". Or some might think "who cares what it looks like, the story is the same". This review is not for them, I DO find returning this to be a hassle. I find it a hassle to print out the return label, repackage the book, drive it to a ups drop off (if I had time to do that I would have gone to a bookstore to buy it). And I find it a hassle to worry about whether or not they will receive it. As an illustrator I DO care about the missing illustration. I'm a visual person, I bought this edition BECAUSE of the art on it. This review is for people who would like to know if they will receive what they are being shown.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Book, November 7, 1999
Lesley West (St James, Western Australia) - See all my reviews
I have just finished reading this book aloud to my 8 year old (who is well capable of reading it herself) so that we could enjoy the book together. What can I say? It is one of the most delightful books in the world, meant to be shared and cherished, and above all remembered and recommended to others. If you have a little girl in your life, introduce her to this book. She will always thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful to listen to!, July 28, 2006
After reading other reviews I decided to purchase this audio version of Anne of Green Gables. Although I haven't heard the other 2 versions, I agree with another reviewer in that Barbara Caruso captures the spirit of Anne perfectly! I thoroughly enjoyed listening to her voice and appreciated the different tones she used to portray Anne, Matthew and Marilla - she makes them sound like completely different people. I bought this to listen to on my commute to/from work and not only did it make the commute fly by, I even found myself sitting out in my car during lunch just so I could enjoy more time with it. I've read the book 3 times and I've seen the movie at least a dozen times. That said, there must be something in Barbara Caruso's voice that makes me totally enjoy the story all over again. I would highly recommend this story and this audio version to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars **ATTN: Kindred Spirits - this is an ABSOLUTE GEM!!!**, February 28, 2006
Amazon Customer (Pacific Northwest USA) - See all my reviews
I am a big "Anne with an E" fan. Have the DVDs, have the books. I decided to complete my collection by getting the audio book. I COULD NOT BE MORE PLEASED!!! Barbara Caruso (narrator) has the characters and their voices "down pat". She captures the enthuasiam, the essence of the lovable, imaginative orphan known as Anne Shirley! The CDs BUBBLE with Anne's love of life - truly a joyous experience. (Although she does have her "tragical" tribulations when she is in "the depths of despair".) Also, great voices for Marilla Cuthbert and Rachel Linde. I actually had to compare the CD to the DVD - I thought that maybe Colleen Dewhurst (actress who played Marilla) was the narrator for the audio book. I cannot decide which I like better - this audio book or the movie (and I so ADORE the movie). I listened to the audio book in the car and had SUCH a good time with it! If you love the movie and if you commute, you will likely enjoy listening to this in the car. HIGHLY,HIGHLY RECOMMEND! TEN STARS! ********** P.S. In Anne's words "there is SO much scope for the imagination!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Delight, April 23, 2008
Everyone knows the story of Anne of Green Gables: A plucky orphan girl who comes to Prince Edward Island after being adopted by the stern but loving Marilla and her brother Mathew Cuthbert.

Anne is eleven when she comes to Prince Edward Island to be adopted. Mathew Cuthbert, having driven most of the day to the train station to pick up a boy they wanted to adopt, is shocked to find a red haired, freckled girl waiting for him instead.

Not wanting to crush the girl's tender spirit by telling her she is not wanted, Mathew takes her home and hopes that Marilla will tell her instead. But, things do not go according to plan. Despite plans to send Anne back and get the boy they wanted to replace her, they decide to let Anne stay if she is willing to prove herself.

Thus begins one of the most beloved novels of all time. It is indeed beloved the world over and has been translated into several languages and has never once been out of print since its initial publication in January of 1908.

Having been a long time fan of the movies starring Megan Follows, I had never had the pleasure of reading the actual book. I thought I knew all there was to know about Anne Shirley and her story. Thankfully, I was very wrong indeed.

While looking for something to read in a local bookstore, I saw a display that intrigued me. Celebrating the 100th anniversary of Anne of Green Gables, the display held copies of two books: Before Green Gables by Budge Wilson, an authorized prequel and a collector's edition of Anne of Green Gables.

I bought the two books immediately. In them, I knew I would find a piece of the childhood that I hadn't been able to have, that I hadn't experienced. I knew that inside those pages, I would be able to discover something wonderful.

I read Anne of Green Gables first and I wasn't disappointed. The collector's edition is a facsimile of the book from when it was first published in 1908 complete with original spelling mistakes and punctuation errors. However, I never saw the errors. All I was able to do was lose myself in the wonderful, amazing story of Anne of Green Gables.

What makes the story so magical I think is it's wonder, it's abundant joy. Anne is a remarkable protagonist and from the moment we meet her, we feel for her, ache for her. She is real. I think that Anne is the child within all of us.

As I read Anne of Green Gables (and Before Green Gables) I fell more deeply in love with Anne. She is the embodiment of joy and is just as lovable today as she was one hundred years ago.

When Lucy Maud Montgomery penned Anne of Green Gables, I don't think even she knew how well the book would do, how much people would grow to love it. I doubt she knew that it would be read by generation after generation for a hundred years.

For me, Anne of Green Gables was sheer delight and pure magic. As I read her story I was transported to another time, another place. As fresh today as it was a hundred years ago, Anne of Green Gables is a literary treat and perhaps the most enjoyable book I have read in years.

I know that I will be reading Anne's story again and again in the years to come. For every time I open the book, Anne's spirit comes alive.

4.0 out of 5 stars 'Sequel' to "Chronicles of Avonlea", October 17, 2003
By A Customer
"Further Chronicles of Avonlea," the 'sequel' to "Chronicles of Avonlea," expands upon Avonlea's rich history with 15 additional short stories:
"Aunt Cynthia's Persian Cat" -- Two sisters cat-sit their aunt's treasured white Persian while she's away for two months--until the cat disappears and one of the girls' annoying beaus comes to the rescue. A lighthearted tale for cat lovers. >> "The Materializing of Cecil" -- An old maid tries to impress the women in her sewing circle by concocting a tale of her imaginary past lover, Cecil Fenwick, who mysteriously materializes in Avonlea a short time later. Another amusing story. >> "Her Father's Daughter" -- A young woman invites her estranged father to her wedding against her mother's wishes. I thought their first meeting was slightly inappropriate, especially with the father asking for a kiss and hugging her when the girl wasn't aware of who he was. Not to mention the ending was a tad too contrived and sappy, though the daughter did show some backbone at least. >> "Jane's Baby" -- Two elderly, estranged sisters fight over possession of an orphaned child, even resorting to kidnapping. >> "The Dream-Child" -- The ghost of a young couple's 20-month-old baby returns to haunt them. An eerie, more darker story than the rest, but very good. I liked this one especially.
"The Brother Who Failed" -- A family reunion is spoiled for one older man who is thought to be a failure by his Aunt Isabel, while his siblings are more successful with money and fame. >> "The Return of Hester" -- A young woman's difficult promise to her dying older sister of not marrying a certain man is revoked when her sister's ghost returns to play matchmaker. The ending was a bit abrupt. >> "The Little Brown Book of Miss Emily" -- After an unpopular old maid dies, she leaves Anne Shirley her diary in order for Anne and Diane to understand her. While Anne is mentioned in a couple other stories, it was nice to read from her perspective again, like in the Anne of Green Gables series, if only for a short bit, since the majority of the story is just diary excerpts. >> "Sara's Way" -- A young teacher's meddlesome two aunts try and push her to marry a well-to-do man against her wishes. But when his family suffers from financial trouble, she comes to his defense. >> "The Son of His Mother" -- An overly-possessive mother grows upset over her grown son's interest in another woman. This woman is obviously disturbed, and it's hard to like her, even with the story told from her point of view. Not one of the best here, and a bit too long.
"The Education of Betty" -- A man offers to help his childhood sweetheart, a recent widow, in raising her wild 10-year-old daughter. After some time, he begins to develop unguardian-like feelings for the girl. This story almost felt like a G-rated Edwardian version of "Lolita." >> "In Her Selfless Mood" -- A young woman promises her dying mother that she'll care for her halfbrother. Readers will empathize with her, but question why she's so loyal to a family that dislikes her. >> "The Conscience Case of David Bell" -- A father's refusal to testify at their revivalist church makes his family feel disgraced. Not one of the best here. >> "Only a Common Fellow" -- A young bride's supposedly dead childhood sweetheart returns just in the nick of time on her wedding day. Romantics should like this one. >> "Tannis of the Flats" -- A multiracial woman's trip to Canada's Northwest ends in heartbreak when she falls for an English man who doesn't love her but another woman. There are some rather prejudiced remarks concerning Indians/Native Americans in this story, like referring to them as simple-minded "breeds" and stating that half-breeds are the worst enemy in the world--and that's just the beginning.
Despite this ending story (and a couple others), "Further Chronicles of Avonlea" is a suitable read for everyone. I bought this book sometime when I was 9 or 10 and have enjoyed it ever since. Though this isn't a classic collection, diehard L. M. Montgomery fans will probably still like it, as well as the first collection: "Chronicles of Avonlea."

Anne of Green Gables (Puffin Classics)
Anne of Green Gables (Puffin Classics) by L.M. Montgomery (Hardcover - September 30, 2010)
$16.99 $12.96