4.0 out of 5 stars Better Than a Soup Cup.
Published on July 5, 2006 by mirasreviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Just OK
Being Korean, I thought I'd try these kimchi bowls in lieu of the traditional ramen's that are loaded w/ preservatives and MSG. These bowls were just OK. They taste more like gochujang (red hot chili paste) more than kimchi, though. It was pretty spicy for me... couldn't finish the broth, but others I shared w/ were fine w/ the spice level.

I may buy these...
Published on April 28, 2010 by Christine Park

4.0 out of 5 stars Better Than a Soup Cup., July 5, 2006
This review is from: Annie Chun's Udon Soup Noodle Bowl, 5.9-Ounce Bowls (Pack of 6) (Grocery)
Annie Chun's Udon Soup makes a quick meal that is larger than traditional soup cups and without the reconstituted texture. The soup bowl holds about 3 cups of soup, which is a nice size for lunch. It's all-natural and vegetarian, consisting of noodles in a flavorful soy soup, with dried mushrooms, onions, bok choy, herbs and spices. The ingredients come in 3 packages: a bag of noodles (not dried), a liquid soup base, and a packet of dried soup toppings. Just add boiling water.

Actually, the instructions on the package are unnecessarily complicated. They tell you to add water to loosen the noodles, drain it off, add the other ingredients, and then add more water. This isn't necessary. Maybe you need to loosen the noodles if you are going to microwave the soup. I suggest stirring the noodles after one minute in the microwave. But if you have a kettle handy, empty the 3 packages into your soup bowl, add boiling water up to about a half inch from the top of the bowl, and let it sit, covered, for 5 minutes. This is faster, easier and uses less water than the instructions recommend, and the soup comes out perfectly.

Annie Chun suggests adding spinach, snow peas, broccoli, mushrooms, shrimp or tofu to make your soup into a more complete meal. Some of those things would need to be cooked before you add them, but I find that fresh mushrooms and frozen peas make excellent additions that require no pre-cooking. If you put some sliced or diced mushrooms into the soup when you add the boiling water, they will partially cook while they sit for 5 minutes, acquiring a nice dense texture that is neither raw nor limp.

Ingredients: Noodles: wheat flour, water, tapioca starch, lactic acid, salt. Soup Base: soy sauce (water, wheat, soybeans, salt), shiitake mushrooms, sea vegetable, evaporated cane juice, rice wine, yeast extract. Toppings: green onion, maltodextrin, bok choy, tofu, red pepper, shiitake mushrooms, guar gum. Product is manufactured in a facility that uses peanuts. . The soup bowls are made of a corn product [...] that is biodegradable. Not that anything degrades in a landfill, but at least the bowl isn't toxic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Vegetarian Soup, May 22, 2009
I love kim chi, but I can't eat most Kim Chi soups as they have fish/seafood stock in them and I am allergic. I was very happy to find this product as it is vegetarian, thus safe for me. It also only has soy in the form of soy sauce. That is another big plus. I like to prepare it topped with a poached egg that I mix through the soup.

Since amazon doesn't have all the ingredients for this, here they are )from the Annie Chun site):

Ingredients

Noodles: wheat flour, water, tapioca starch, wheat gluten, lactic acid, salt.

Sauce: fresh chili pepper, Chinese cabbage extract, naturally brewed soy sauce (water, wheat, soybean, salt), rice wine, garlic, salt, mushroom extract, maltodextrin, water, roated sesame oil, fermented wheat protein, evaporated cane juice, spices, garlic*, distlled vinegar, yeast extract, onion*, cabbage*, sugar, corn oil, carrot, celery, natural flavors, cucumber extract, red wine.

Toppings: kimchi*, green onion*, carrot*, millet syrup, maltodextrin, shiitake mushroom*, sesame seed*, guar gum, seaweed*.

*Dehydrated

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice Tom Yum Soup, February 16, 2007
Todd M. Hess "jtson" (Wesley Chapel, NC United States) - See all my reviews
I added a half of dozen or so of frozen pre-cooked shrimp and this was great as an evening meal. The package includes the spices that one would expect to find in a Tom Yum Thai soup. While the quality may not be what one might expect to find in a good Thai restaurant, preparation in five minutes is surely an acceptable compromise.

5.0 out of 5 stars great microwave meal, February 3, 2010
E. Chan (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
Most of the time when I don't have a free minute to spare on going out to buy food, I microwave up one of these. They're delicious, healthy and easy/quick to prepare. Plus they're cheaper than going to a Japanese restaurant and having udon there. I eat these relatively often so I've solved most of the problems people had with the cooking process.

I've found that the vegetables rehydrate best if you stick them under the loosened noodles and then fill the bowl up with water (just trap the vegetable square under the noodles). This solves the problem of the gritty tofu as well - mine always come out soft and chewy with that method. Also, if possible, microwave the noodle bowl instead of using boiling water. The noodles come out much softer and the miso paste dissolves easier if they're cooked in the microwave for the 2 minutes.

I hope this helps the upset reviewers below. I have these at least once a week and they've become a rather delightful staple to my diet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting this AGAIN, January 10, 2007
Yep, like the title, I'm getting this again. The first shippment lasted 1 week. Here's my review... This is a great quick meal for lunch in the office. Instead of spending 5 or 6 bucks to get add extra lipids to my arteries, I decided to try these noodles.

The noodles were already cooked sealed in a vaccum bag. The dehydrated vegtables actually look like vegtables after you add water to it. Overall, I felt it was a pretty "authentic" Udon experience. I really enjoyed these noodles. Also, at 110 cal per serving ( there is 2 servings in the bowl ) its a not too bad for you. If you want something quick, great tasting, and not good for you, this is your item.

The sodium is a bit high, but you can always control that with how much of the soy sauce you put in. Overall, I give it 4 stars... cause there's always room for improvement!

4.0 out of 5 stars Considering it sits on the shelf..., June 28, 2006
Amy (Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews
... it's not too bad. They keep a long time so when I forget my lunch or simply have to work much later than I expected, I have something to eat at work without resorting to a vending machine. More filling than popcorn and one of the better shelf-sitting noodle bowls available. Adds variety to my workplace pantry.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's unreal how good the Kimchi soup is!, March 31, 2007
I've tried several of the Annie Chun flavors, and I liked most of them, but the Kimchi soup is just unbelievably delicious! This is the BEST packaged soup product of any kind that I have ever tried, and I usually dislike canned or packaged soup products. This is even better than my favorite canned Brunswick Stew that I have loved for so long!

It is moderately spicy, but if you don't mind a bit if spice, this one is just too good to pass up. I could practically live off of this stuff!

Thank you, Annie Chun, for making a packaged meal worth eating!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the office, January 10, 2008
I buy these soup bowls and take them into work. I usually work over lunch and they provide a fairly healthy light lunch (fairly because they are a little salty). The dried tofu in them usually doesn't reconstitute well but everything else is fine.

My only complaint is the biodegradable marketing gimic, a nice idea but I think it is mostly to make people feel better. Nothing rots in the landfills. And I tried putting one of these bowls in the compost heap, two years later it is still kicking around somewhere in the backyard (no it didn't rot). The paper wrapper and plastic wrapper are certainly not compostable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh and Easy, October 14, 2009
I'm big on Tom Yoong Goong soup. While this isn't nearly as good as my local Thai restaurant, it is definitely a tasty quick lunch, great for clearing the sinuses, and a good starting point for those who like to add additional fresh ingredients to their instant lunches. I like to make enough for two people (my momma and I) If you have the time to prepare this ahead of time I suggest adding:
2-3 servings. If making for one, just half the ingredients below

2 A.C. Tom Yum soup portions
2.5 cups water
10 med. uncooked shrimp (optional for flavor and protein)
1 tsp of fish sauce (optional but added for more authentic flavor)
1-2 tsp lemon or lime juice (fresh or bottled)
1 tbsp coarsly chopped cilantro
1 sm. can of mushrooms (better to use canned as it is already soft and cooked)

Heat pot on med. right before boiling point, drop shrimp, T.M. paste, fish sauce, lemon juice, mushrooms, noodles, and packet of dried veggies in pot. On med. low, cook for 5 min. Right before turning off heat drop in cilantro. Pour and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars My New Favorite Soup!, September 11, 2007
VisualSmith (Jacksonville, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This soup offers a great mild asian flavor without all of the weird "american asian" flavor. After my latest trip to China, I wanted to find an authentic soup and noodles in the States. Udon Soup is Japanese but according to the packaging, it originated in China and was brought to Japan by a monk. So that explains the Chinese flavor. The noodles are packaged moist and fresh. The bowl is biodegradable. It makes for a great lunch at home or work! I highly recommend!