5.0 out of 5 stars it will blow you away...
Published on November 20, 2005 by J. Rubino

2.0 out of 5 stars Good but not Great!
Annie starts the video by explaining that this is geared towards the advanced player. By advanced she means you've read poker books, watched other DVDs, and understand poker terminology. At first I felt the the movie had some promise as it was produced a little better than other movies I've watched by The Masters of Poker.

One of the finer points of hold'em is...
Published on December 12, 2007 by Pipedream

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars it will blow you away..., November 20, 2005
J. Rubino (Simi Valley,Ca USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Annie Duke's Advanced Texas Hold 'Em Secrets - How to Beat the Big Boys (Masters of Poker) (DVD)
With the huge number of new products hitting the market and a couple of marginal offerings from other name players I was not sure what to expect... Wow! This DVD is very good and has more advanced material than "any" other DVD currently on the market. I was blown away by the amount and specific kind of material here. Her section on reading and profiling players is phenomenal, beyond anything I have read or seen elsewhere. The amount of information and the detail of this section is by itself worth much more than the cost of the DVD. I would venture to say there will be a huge buzz in the poker world when word gets out of what is in this DVD. The pros are sure to be upset that she has given away trade secrets.

If there are any minuses they are very small. Several times she jumps back and forth between limit and no limit holdem causing mild confusion but once you've watched it the second or third time you don't even notice. The only thing that really bothered me at all was her statement that poker is not gambling but investing. That may be true for professionals but the average player does not yet play or think at that level so a statement like that is a little misguided in my opinion. If a player can lose their money, it is still gambling.

She reveals so much more advanced material than any of the other DVDs that I have bought that purely from a value standpoint it is worth much more than any of the other DVDs. Despite my pet peeves I still give it 5 stars; it is so far beyond my expectations of both material and price. This is by far the "single" best poker product(book or video) I've bought this year. I think the producers don't realize the value here and could easily have asked for twice as much money. Get it as soon as possible. I promise you will love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the better poker DVDs, just a little boring, February 20, 2006
This DVD is pretty good, but the reviews I had read led me to believe I was really going to get an amazing batch of pro secrets. The DVD is good and she does tell some things that you probably haven't heard anywhere else. I am speaking specifically about her ideas she got from her conversations with the FBI and her tips on how to deal with a maniac at the table. I really thought those two areas were exceptional. It always seems like common sense after you hear it, but she really does clear a lot of things up and does a good job of providing a lot of information.

A few downsides to mention: She discusses a lot about tells and sizing up an opponent. I only play online, so this stuff didn't help me. Also, when she discusses a tell, she performs it herself as she talks about it. When Lederer discussed tells in his DVD, he had actors play them out in a scenario, which I thought was both entertaining and more helpful to remember. The DVD never leaves a poker table with her just talking--which decreases the desire to watch it a lot of times. Had she ventured into the casino a few times to show a hand or something to change things up a little, I think it would have been better. Basically, the DVD gets a little boring after watching it a time or two.

Wrapping up this review, you have Annie Duke sharing her thoughts on how to take care of business at the poker table. It might not be the most entertaining DVD you ever buy, but there is some good information on the DVD. Definitely worth the price to have a pro player give up 90 minutes of their time. If you only play poker online, you can skip this one and wait for her online poker DVD. It should be a better choice. If you play some live poker, I think you'll definitely want to know the information on this DVD. It could really make you more dangerous at the tables.

5.0 out of 5 stars Light years beyond the rest, December 21, 2005
M. Jeffreys "www.mjeffreys.com" (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
The other reviewers are exactly right.

Like most of you, I have just about all the other poker DVD's out there: Hellmuth's,(crappy) Lederer's (decent), Gordon's (my favorite until now),etc. However, Annie Duke so blows all the others out of the water it's not even funny. For the serious player this DVD is worth a lot more then $19.95(in fact, she could have charged $49.00 and it still would have been worth it).

And yes, the other pros are not going to be happy with her, as she really does share many of their best secrets. What's more, the fact that she pours so much strong content into her DVD, really highlights how fluff filled the other's are. Yes, if you are just starting out then Lederer's is a good place to start, but after you've been playing for a while, and are ready to go past "starting hand selection," then this DVD is your huckleberry.

I was surprised how good and entertaining her book was, as it did a nice job of combining poker tips with her life story, but with this DVD, Annie has put herself at the top of the poker instructional DVD list. Since it has only been out for a little while, I don't think alot of players know about it just yet. But that won't last long. Once the magazines, blogs, and poker web sites start reviewing it, the cat will be out of the bag.

The funny thing to me is first she beats her brother at the table (winning the TOC), and now she puts out a better DVD than his. Pretty soon it's going to be, "Hey, aren't you Howard lederer, ANNIE DUKE'S brother!?" lol :)

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the Real Deal!, December 18, 2005
I have watched a lot of poker DVD's and this is by far the best I've seen! Annie goes into great depth in explaining advanced strategy that you just don't get in other DVD's. If you are an absolute beginner, then I don't suggest this DVD. You should get Annie's Begginner DVd which is coming out soon. I guess they decided to lead with the Advanced DVD since so many people are sick of learning the rules of Texas Hold Em. In How To Beat The Big Boys, Annie really spills the beans. I'm not going to rehash the content for you on this review. If you want it...you gotta pay for it. All I can say, It's woth ten times the price of the DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Good DVD for Intermediate Players Looking to Improve, February 2, 2007
M. Lum (San Jose, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
Let me first start by saying that I have been playing hold'em poker for 3 1/2 years, the last 1/2 year of which has been for a living. I would recommend this DVD to anyone who, like me, is a visual learner. I personally get a lot more out of watching a lesson than by reading about one. But, that's just me. Anyhow, Annie (who happens to be one of my favorite players), does a fine job of covering all the major topics that an intermediate player needs to learn in order to move up the limits or simply to improve their profits at their current table limits.

No, this DVD won't make you the next World Champion, but it will teach you some very solid higher-level poker fundamentals if you are in the intermediate stage of your poker career, and it will be a great refresher course for experienced players who want to quickly brush up their skill set.

I especially like the way that this DVD is arranged into cogent chapters which you can easily jump to through the main menu. If you want a quick lesson on how to play position, for example, you go right to that chapter on the DVD. If you want tips on reading people's tells, based on FBI interrogator research, you can quickly get a nice lesson on that...and so on. It is not a video that has its information strewn about randomly throughout. In short, this DVD is very well laid out, and that is one of the things I really enjoy about it. I still go back and review sections every now and then to reinforce certain skills.

In closing, this is a good DVD and Annie Duke does a good job. Though it's only shot with her sitting at the table in a studio, she is charismatic and fun to watch. Will you learn the deepest, darkest secrets of world-class Texas Hold'em -- of course not. Would KFC ever publish their secret blend of 11 herbs and spices for anyone to buy? Same logic here, but I bet you will gain from this DVD.

That's my small blind (2 cents). Thanks for reading my review.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good but not Great!, December 12, 2007

One of the finer points of hold'em is to make sure you don't put your self in tough choices constantly, a very simple concept. She briefly touches on slow playing a hand on a dry board verses a draw heavy board where it would be wrong to slow play. This point to me is not so advanced and really should be common sense to her target audience here. Themes like this are stressed through out the video, but I still think even the top level advanced player can walk away with a few tips.

The DVD seems to focus heavily on tells and profiling as this is repeated in later chapters. These are very important concepts to understand if you're trying to move up from a level one thinking. I found one of the tells discussed to be new to me and that was blink rate. I also though it was a good reminder to stress the importance of talking to your opponents about everyday things that relate to their life so you can read body language about things that they are comfortable with and not so comfortable with, such as; dogs, kids, work, ect.

Bluffing, Semi-Bluffing, trapping, implied odds, and controlling pot odds are covered in the middle chapters of the DVD. A few examples of how to execute bluffs are given and for the most part this section is covered well. I like that in this section she mentions 9-2 off is slightly more than a 2-1 dog to AK.

Playing against maniacs, emotional control, and money management are covered at the tail end. While the maniac section is covered very well, the latter two seem to just be filler and should really be covered more in depth.

The bonus features are really not worth taking a look at. They start out with different levels of thinking but only get 3 levels deep. The levels are well discussed through out the DVD though they aren't addressed specifically as "levels". A lame endorsement for Commerce Casino is in the bonus features as well.

Overall I think it was a 2 and a half star DVD. The only reason it's slightly above 2 stars is the fact that it reminded me of a few things I had forgotten and was decently produced. I discussed things I liked in my review but here are a few things I did not like. She talks too much with her hands and says literally too much. Some of the concepts are geared towards the beginner and not the advanced player. Each section could have been discussed more in depth and different variations on hand examples should have been given. If we're calling DVD's like this "for the advanced player" then I really can't wait until a DVD comes out for the "expert" player.

Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than your average Poker DVD, Good value for your $, July 1, 2006
After seeing the reviews for this DVD i quickly purchased it. While it is definitely better than any other instructional poker DVD (excluding the classic Caro's tells video) I've seen out there, that's not really saying a whole lot since most poker DVDs are junk. I found it to have useful insights on the multiple layers of the game and an interesting take on implied odds, and a discussion of a certain tell that I have not seen discussed elsewhere. It's a nice little DVD, which may bring to light some topics that rookies don't know about, and may be useful to more experienced players in that it may help them to think about certain topics in a different way. Not exactly blow my socks off great, but good value for your money and leaps and bounds above the other junk out there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good tips, Good Value, May 9, 2007
"Advanced" can mean different things to different people. Let me start by telling you what it means here. It means you already know how to play the cards. This DVD will not tell you when to raise with pocket 7s or how to play when you flop a straight. This DVD is about what you need to know after you already know that. This is not about the "advanced" secrets of playing your hand. If you are looking for advice on how to play your two cards, this is not your DVD.

So what does it cover? The main claim to fame is the section on Tells. Annie covers techniques that the FBI uses to know when someone is lying for example. She emphasizes that you need to watch your opponents before you end up in a hand with them to get a baseline. For example, rapid blinking can be a sign of lying (bluffing), but if you haven't noticed the player before now, how do you know if he is blinking a lot? Some people just blink more than others. Also included are sections on playing against certain types of players (the maniac for one) as well as things like figuring pot odds and so on.

Yes the production values are minimal. Yes, Annie sits at the same table the entire DVD, but the advice is good and there is nothing to distract you from getting it.

If you already are confortable with playing your two cards then this DVD is a good way to help you move to the next level where what happens above your cards is just as important on what is on them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it if your not a guru, February 17, 2008
I found most of the information useful and while nothing made me jump out of my seat, I felt like I got a boost in my game. I gave it 5 stars because I dont have much of a baseline for holdem instructional dvds abd I found it very informative. I bought it over a week ago and watched it twice.

Annie kind of hesitates sometimes or her timing is a tiny bit off, but I am glad she is a poker expert and not an actor(but then shouldnt a great poker player be a great actress!?), so thats not an issue for me. I skipped right past her beginners video and had no trouble keeping up with this one.

I have been playing holdem online about 40 hours a week for 4 months, just so whoever is reading this review knows where im coming from.

Also this is Richard not my wife Stephanie, we share the amazon account

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money, August 31, 2008
This video is produced in the best fashion however the information is beneficial and is worth the money.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›