5.0 out of 5 stars A great solo effort from Annie Haslam

2.0 out of 5 stars Uninspired
Published 17 days ago by Terry Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars A great solo effort from Annie Haslam, February 16, 2006
This review is from: Annie Haslam (Audio CD)
This was Annie's major label effort with a full band and it was a gem. "Moonlight Shadow" has remained a concert favorite to this day. "Further from Fantasy" also very popular. Annie really hits the high notes on "Wishing On A Star" and this is one of the best showcases for her voice since Ashes are Burning. This is an essential must have for fans of Renaissance and Annie Haslam.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yeah, it's not Renaissance, but still a decent album, November 24, 2006
This review is from: Annie Haslam (Audio CD)
I just wanted to write a review of this after finding some prog snob completely bashing it. Of course it isn't going to be Renaissance, but that doesn't mean that it is worthless. It isn't fair to compare it to Renaissance b/c it is a solo album, and a completely different genre of music. I think people lose something when they deconstruct music so thoroughly. I don't rely on my analytical mind with music- all I care about is if I like the sound. I also think it's a waste of time to compare artists to their past works- the earlier works are usually the most popular because that's the first thing people heard, but I've found that when I've heard bands' later works first, I usually like them better.

Anyway, this is my favorite of her later albums (although I don't think she likes it much). It has variety- the songs are of similar genre, but it's not one of these albums where they all sound the same. It has some new wave effects and other musical interludes which are colorful. To me it's kind of classy and just a fun album for if a person isn't in a "I need an intense ultimate prog listening experience" kind of mood. My favorite songs would be "Moonlight Shadow", "Celestine", "Wishing On A Star" and "One More Arrow."

Actually, this album helped me to discover Renaissance. When I was a kid my parents played it. I loved "One More Arrow" and was like "hey it's that lady my parents always listen to". At a young age I liked this the best, but I ended up listening to my mom's Renaissance records because of it and have been a fan for a long time. Annie is the greatest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding album, November 15, 2012
This review is from: Annie Haslam (Audio CD)
One of my best purchases - by far!

I was apprehensive to buy this album, since Annie Haslam was "the voice of Renaissance" in my book. What convinced me was Larry Fast, who is, in my opinion, one of the best creators of electronic music ever (Just buy "Games" by Synergy, and you'll know what I mean). So I bought the CD and braced myself...

This album is incredible! So upbeat, so melodic, so well recorded. Annie's voice is celestial, and the arrangements catch you and don't let you go. I find myself whistling "Moonlight Shadow" all day at work. There is not a bad song in all the CD: "The Angels Cry" is beautiful, "Furthest From Fantasy" is so catchy is almost annoying (just kidding), "Wildest Dreams" is beautiful and moving. Don't hesitate to buy it, it is truly amazing.

If you liked the era of Moogs, sequencers, Mellotrons, Roland keyboards, and such, you will enjoy this album. Probably it sounds a little dated for younger people, but trust me: It is a very good album.

2.0 out of 5 stars Uninspired, November 11, 2014
This review is from: Annie Haslam (Audio CD)
My review today is totally different than what it would have been when I first got this in 1989. I think I was blinded by Annie Haslam and Larry Fast. I was, and still am, a big fan of Renaissance. It's difficult, if not impossible to completely overlook an artist's past performance on a solo work. Way back, this may have been called an "easy listening" album with pop elements. She was responsible for the material she chose, her interpretation of it, as well as the musicians and production crew. The pop ingénue persona is ill fitting, awkward, and uncomfortable. I'm also a big fan of Larry Fast's solo material. His production on Nektar's "Recycled" made that one of my all time favorite albums. I don't know why he was chosen to bring his synthesizers to this party. What may have been adventurous at the time, now sounds dated and an odd choice for Haslam's usually warm vocals. My general experience has been that solo albums are disappointing. This certainly won't change my opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another side of Annie, December 8, 2010
This review is from: Annie Haslam (Audio CD)
So you love Rennaissance and Annie Haslam's perfect voice? Well, here's a chance to get to know another side of her singing talents. This album is a great collection of up-beat songs that provides some very pleasant listening and stretches her voice in different directions. The best track is Further from Fantasy, one of my favorites by a female singer. But it's all good, although I could probably have done without Moonlight Shadow as it's so similar to Maggie Reilly's original version.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great voice, September 7, 2013
This review is from: Annie Haslam (Audio CD)
I recommend this CD and any others by Annie Haslam. She is my favorite soloist. I never tire of listening to her music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleasing voice., March 6, 2013
This review is from: Annie Haslam (Audio CD)
If you enjoy a unique sound, with good range, catchy tunes that makes one feel good this is the cd to buy, Recommended! Haslam was unknown to me until I listened to this CD. Now I'm purchasing more of her work.

2.0 out of 5 stars Late 80s techno garbage, June 22, 2013
This review is from: Annie Haslam (Audio CD)
I do happen to be a big Renaissance and Annie Haslam fan, but I'm not one of the Haslam sycophants who believe she can sing the phone book and still make interesting music. This album is full of horrendous, Madonna wanna-be dance tunes, saved from being a horrible embarrassment by two OK cover songs: Moonlight Shadow and Wishing on a Star. Producer Larry Fast was trying to turn the 40 something Haslam into a sultry siren on such absurdities as When a Heart Finds Another and Let It Be Me, and believe me, it doesn't work. Haslam's soprano sounds forced at best, sophomoric at worst, when she belts out "I think it's time we should make up, BABY". Do Renaissance fans really think this is better than Time-line or Camera Camera? At least those albums had Jon Camp's bass to enliven things. All we have here is layers of keyboards and drum machines to make a dated mess. Haslam's solo career has been a disappointment, with mediocre bandmates and producers who miscast her as a sexy siren or middle of the road crooner. Buy a Renaissance CD to hear what she's really capable of.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, August 28, 2014
Lynn Denis (MANITOWOC, WI, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Annie Haslam (Audio CD)
Love this cd. I really love her voice and enjoy the songs immensely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, October 11, 2014
nice copy received promptly

Annie Haslam
Annie Haslam by Annie Haslam (Audio CD - 1989)