1,199 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Best version because of the great cast
Published on September 26, 2004 by Kelli

3.0 out of 5 stars Leapin' lizards!
Well, I think this is a really swell movie. Albert Finney and Carol Burnett crack me up, Aileen Quinn is exactly what Annie should be, and Sandy is perfect.

Published on January 5, 2005 by M. Stoltenberg

3.0 out of 5 stars Leapin' lizards!, January 5, 2005
This review is from: Annie (Special Anniversary Edition) (DVD)

But WHY OH WHY is this not being offered in a widescreen format? I have yet to see all of "It's a Hard Knock Life" and I know those girls are knocking themselves out offscreen. I've seen this movie on three different media. All were pan and scan, and all three showed different parts of the picture! The worst was a VHS release. (...)

I don't know which is more frustrating about this anniversary dvd, the fact that it doesn't offer widescreen, or the fact that the dvd menu and the special features show the movie clips in widescreen, teasing me with those brief glimpses.

There is no reason that dvd manufacturers shouldn't at least OFFER a widescreen version. Let's get with the 21st century already!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best version because of the great cast, September 26, 2004
Kelli (Somewhere out west) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Annie (Special Anniversary Edition) (DVD)
You cannot beat the cast in this movie. It has some of the greats, like Carol Burnett, Bernadette Peters and Tim Curry. That is part of the reason why the Disney version could never compare to this one. Also, Aileen Quinn makes such a great Annie. She really looks spunky. She can look really sweet, but also tomboyish. She can look threatening, like all the times she raises her fists. The girl in the Disney "Annie" looks too sweet. She isn't as convincing when she tries to fight. If you want to watch Annie, this is the version to get.

1.0 out of 5 stars Still No Widescreen!, July 1, 2005
This review is from: Annie (Special Anniversary Edition) (DVD)
I can't help but wonder if ALL the widescreen prints of this movie were destroyed in a warehouse fire. Why would you bother to master another "Special Anniversary Edition" with a new DTS soundtrack and not include a Wide screen version? Especially with more and more widescreen TVs on the market. It is going to look pretty silly in a few years showing this pan and scanned musical on your widescreen TV. While not my favorite movie musical, I would still buy it if they ever have the sense to release it in it's original format! Until then...forget it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful new telling of the musical legend!, November 2, 2000
Byron Kolln (the corner where Broadway meets Hollywood) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Annie [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Many people pass off ANNIE as a children's musical, when in actuality it has one of the most sophisticated scores and the book is of a higher standard than of many other shows. It still holds a record of something like the 8th or 9th longest running show on Broadway, and it is a delight among theatre-goers.
This new Disney version stays faithful to the stage score and script, not like John Huston's rambling version back in 1981 (refer to my review for this), and it is a delight to watch. It has that 'theatrical-style' feel to it.
The esteemed cast, the bulk of which are seasoned Broadway performers, include Kathy Bates as Miss Hannigan, Alan Cumming as Rooster, Audra McDonald as Grace Farrell, Kristin Chenoweth as Lily St Regis, Victor Garber as Daddy Warbucks and the lovely Alicia Morton as Annie. Making a cameo in the 'NYC' number as ''Star To Be'' is (oh happy day) the original Broadway Annie - Andrea McArdle.
The cast is sensational, and while I will not bring down the 1981 performers of Carol Burnett, Bernadette Peters and Ann Reinking, they are far more believable in their interpretations.
You must buy this new version of the Broadway smash ANNIE!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, bad dvd, April 24, 2006
This review is from: Annie (Special Anniversary Edition) (DVD)
So much for special edition. Enough complaints have been made about the lack of widescreen format - unforgiveable in any musical since the dance numbers nearly always take up the whole screen.

My biggest complaint is that there are actually lines REMOVED from songs - in "The Hard Knock Life", Molly's orders to "Strip those beds! Scrub that floor!" have been erased, although there is still a camera close-up that clearly shows her mouthing the words. In "We've Got Annie," a whole series of servants' exclamations are similarly gone. There are several other omissions that slip my mind currently. Why on earth would the editing team take out these lines? If they were going to remove anything, it might at least have been the two exclamations of "g-dd-mn" at the end, which are the only occasions of this movie turning un-kid-friendly and were entirely unnecessary. What were you thinking, Columbia?

Get this movie by all means, but get the widescreen version. I don't know whether it shares the problem of ommitted lines, however, and until I do, I'll stick with my old much-loved VHS.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Classic That Touched Us All, June 28, 2004
Liz "LoftyKitten" (Colorado Springs, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This movie is one that you can truly say has everything.
The dialogue is fabulous. It defines the era well, makes the characters believable, and will keep you rolling with laughter. The songs are pleasant and fun and have become standards and the choreography is wonderful. The story is as exciting as it is heart warming. There's a pleasant mix of suspense, adventure, humor, and sentiment.
Even with so much already going for it, the highlight of the movie is the characters, and the actors who portray them. Carol Burnett is hilarious as Miss Hannigan. She delivers a very memorable performance, and makes one of the most loveable movie villains ever. Albert Finney does a perfect job with Daddy Warbucks, and its great fun to watch him tranform from a stern business man to a father with a heart of gold. There's also a strong supporting cast that all add to the flavor of the movie.
This movie is good fun for all ages, and no matter how many times I've watched it, I've never gotten sick of it... in fact I've only found more things to appreciate about it over the years.

2.0 out of 5 stars It's a "Hard Knock Life" for Musicals, June 19, 2000
This review is from: Annie (DVD)
This review will not win me "positive" votes, but I must speak my mind.
This current trend of filming musicals for television is wonderful for the genre. My complaint, seen here in ANNIE, is the "Readers Digest" versions they're tending to churn out.
I was very excited to see this new version of ANNIE (the John Huston film from the 80's was unmemorable and hilariously sent-up in John Waters' film SERIAL MOM). After viewing it, I realized the producers and director made several mistakes.
First, Mrs. Hannigan is the VILLAIN. In order for any basic story to work, there is a good guy and a villain. Annie is the good guy, Mrs. Hannigan is the villain. Kathy Bates plays her as a sympathetic lady just trying to run an orphanage! At least Carol Burnett mined some of that evilness in the Huston film. In this version, any badness has been "Disney-fied" out of the character.
Also, Daddy Warbucks is too nice. Why do we even care if Annie ends up with him? His character doesn't seem to need changing at all. His secretary seems to think he works a tad too much, but otherwise he's been "Disney-fied" as well.
And dare I suggest that the romance between Warbucks and the secretary (played by the incredible Audra McDonald) has been toned down because of race issues? Or would a romance have been too much of a character change for the screenwriter as well?
I'm just so disappointed with this production. A highlight is the NYC production number. Andrea McArdle shines in her cameo ("Just got here this morning...") It's a fine, workman production. But somehow, the heart seems to be gone. Does anyone really understand the significance of the song "Tomorrow"? It seems like it's just cued up like the show-stopper we all know it to be. They film it with a big sweeping camera move and end it on a special effects shot of New York city. So what, I say! Keep a close up on the little girl playing Annie and let us see what the song means to the character.
I hope I don't sound too severe, but I think they really did this show wrong. I don't believe the reviews that say ANNIE is a good production. I think it's mediocre at best -- it could have been so much better.

1.0 out of 5 stars NO WIDSCREEN!!!!!!!!!, April 10, 2004
Jeremy Stiltz "JStiltz" (Rock Rapids, IA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Annie (Special Anniversary Edition) (DVD)
Really small on the back cover you'll find your purchased an all new anniversary FULL SCREEN version of this movie. Only released this way apparently. Wasn't until I popped it in that I found this out. If I could return it I would and go buy the original release which apparently has both full and wide.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great family movie., December 14, 1999
Tiffany (Panama City, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Annie [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I was a little cynical when I first saw this movie as I'd seen the show done on stage and had been really disappointed with the last Annie produced in the 80's, but I was pleasantly surprised. I watched this with my four-year old daughter and she loved it. The acting was great. Kathy Bates, as usual, was wonderful. The little girl did a wonderful job as Annie and all the musical numbers were fun. This 1999 version lacked some of the stunts that made the previous movie unbelievable. It was sincere and stuck to the original play very well. My daughter loved it and after one viewing was mopping my kitchen floor singing "Hard Knock Life."

1.0 out of 5 stars Wake up COLUMBIA and smell the Widescreen Roses, January 12, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Annie (Special Anniversary Edition) (DVD)
Everyone else has already said it, what more can I add? How could you even think about remixing this wonderful soundtrack in 5.1 Dolby AND DTS and then pan & scan it??? Why not just mix it down to mono for pairing with 1.33:1. I have the laserdisc and I guess it's gonna stay that way. Sorry Columbia, you lost my $20 and a lot of others. Well, I guess you'll make up for it with all the mothers of 10 year olds.

Annie (Special Anniversary Edition)
Annie (Special Anniversary Edition) by John Huston (DVD - 2004)
$9.99 $5.00