5.0 out of 5 stars Best version because of the great cast
Published on September 26, 2004 by Kelli

3.0 out of 5 stars Leapin' lizards!
Well, I think this is a really swell movie. Albert Finney and Carol Burnett crack me up, Aileen Quinn is exactly what Annie should be, and Sandy is perfect.

Published on January 5, 2005 by M. Stoltenberg

3.0 out of 5 stars Leapin' lizards!, January 5, 2005
This review is from: Annie (Special Anniversary Edition) (DVD)

But WHY OH WHY is this not being offered in a widescreen format? I have yet to see all of "It's a Hard Knock Life" and I know those girls are knocking themselves out offscreen. I've seen this movie on three different media. All were pan and scan, and all three showed different parts of the picture! The worst was a VHS release. (...)

I don't know which is more frustrating about this anniversary dvd, the fact that it doesn't offer widescreen, or the fact that the dvd menu and the special features show the movie clips in widescreen, teasing me with those brief glimpses.

There is no reason that dvd manufacturers shouldn't at least OFFER a widescreen version. Let's get with the 21st century already!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best version because of the great cast, September 26, 2004
Kelli (Somewhere out west) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Annie (Special Anniversary Edition) (DVD)
You cannot beat the cast in this movie. It has some of the greats, like Carol Burnett, Bernadette Peters and Tim Curry. That is part of the reason why the Disney version could never compare to this one. Also, Aileen Quinn makes such a great Annie. She really looks spunky. She can look really sweet, but also tomboyish. She can look threatening, like all the times she raises her fists. The girl in the Disney "Annie" looks too sweet. She isn't as convincing when she tries to fight. If you want to watch Annie, this is the version to get.

1.0 out of 5 stars Still No Widescreen!, July 1, 2005
This review is from: Annie (Special Anniversary Edition) (DVD)
I can't help but wonder if ALL the widescreen prints of this movie were destroyed in a warehouse fire. Why would you bother to master another "Special Anniversary Edition" with a new DTS soundtrack and not include a Wide screen version? Especially with more and more widescreen TVs on the market. It is going to look pretty silly in a few years showing this pan and scanned musical on your widescreen TV. While not my favorite movie musical, I would still buy it if they ever have the sense to release it in it's original format! Until then...forget it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful new telling of the musical legend!, November 2, 2000
Byron Kolln (the corner where Broadway meets Hollywood) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Annie [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Many people pass off ANNIE as a children's musical, when in actuality it has one of the most sophisticated scores and the book is of a higher standard than of many other shows. It still holds a record of something like the 8th or 9th longest running show on Broadway, and it is a delight among theatre-goers.
This new Disney version stays faithful to the stage score and script, not like John Huston's rambling version back in 1981 (refer to my review for this), and it is a delight to watch. It has that 'theatrical-style' feel to it.
The esteemed cast, the bulk of which are seasoned Broadway performers, include Kathy Bates as Miss Hannigan, Alan Cumming as Rooster, Audra McDonald as Grace Farrell, Kristin Chenoweth as Lily St Regis, Victor Garber as Daddy Warbucks and the lovely Alicia Morton as Annie. Making a cameo in the 'NYC' number as ''Star To Be'' is (oh happy day) the original Broadway Annie - Andrea McArdle.
The cast is sensational, and while I will not bring down the 1981 performers of Carol Burnett, Bernadette Peters and Ann Reinking, they are far more believable in their interpretations.
You must buy this new version of the Broadway smash ANNIE!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great family movie., December 14, 1999
Tiffany (Panama City, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Annie [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I was a little cynical when I first saw this movie as I'd seen the show done on stage and had been really disappointed with the last Annie produced in the 80's, but I was pleasantly surprised. I watched this with my four-year old daughter and she loved it. The acting was great. Kathy Bates, as usual, was wonderful. The little girl did a wonderful job as Annie and all the musical numbers were fun. This 1999 version lacked some of the stunts that made the previous movie unbelievable. It was sincere and stuck to the original play very well. My daughter loved it and after one viewing was mopping my kitchen floor singing "Hard Knock Life."

4.0 out of 5 stars Special Edition....special enough?, January 13, 2004
Chrissy1018 (Nashville, TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Annie (Special Anniversary Edition) (DVD)
Growing up, Annie was one of my all-time favorite movies. I sang all the songs, played runaway orphan with my friends, and watched the movie over and over on Betamax (for those of you born a bit later, that's like a VHS tape, only smaller).
I was tempted to buy Annie as soon as it came out on DVD, but chose to wait for a version with some decent special features. Lo, it is here, but there is one thing that I'm really surprised is missing.... where's the behind-the-scenes feature, "Lights, Camera, Annie!" which aired on TV back in 1982. It included auditions for the role of Annie, dance rehearsals, cast/crew interviews, choerography and blocking of "It's a Hard Knock Life", a screen test of Aileen Quinn and Albert Finney and vocal rehearsals of "Easy Street" with Peters, Curry and Burnett. That's the kind of thing that should be on a Special Edition DVD, so I'm surprised that since the footage exists (I still have my Beta tape, and surely it exists elsewhere), that they didn't use it.
As much as I appreciate that there is a new version, it seems to be primarily catering to kids. It would appear they neglected the adults who grew up with the movie and still think of it fondly, and would have appreciated more special features of the behind-the-scenes, as opposed to contemporary interpretations of songs and sing-alongs.
Incidentally, why is this being presented as an "Anniversary Edition"? Annie came out in 1982, so it's the...22nd Year Anniversary?
I still love the movie, but just can't give this version a full 5 stars given my disappointment in the special features.

1.0 out of 5 stars FULL SCREEN ONLY DVD MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE!, December 21, 2003
Nix Pix (Windsor, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Annie (Special Anniversary Edition) (DVD)
"Annie" is the original movie based on the highly successful Broadway musical, based on the highly popular comic strip character - little orphan Annie. I'm going to refrain from reiterating the story herein, because I have already reviewed the previously issued DVD. Herein, I am taking the opportunity to lambast Columbia Home Video.
TRANSFER: IT'S NOT WIDESCREEN. Enough said! You can't squeeze a 2:35:1 aspect ratio image into a 1:33:1 t.v. screen so you get what film buffs, such as myself, have been screaming about for years - a chopped up version of the movie (affectionately known as pan and scan)that in no way captures either the scope of the image or the director's original intent. This short coming alone leads me to fail this DVD on all accounts. That the cropped image is quite often blurry, at times hopelessly out of focus, and truly a weak transfer for its color balancing, contrast and black levels, is inexcusable. I'd really like to know why Columbia decided to re-release this movie on DVD. Certainly, no updates to the image quality have been made and worse still - the film is missing 50% of its picture. Misguided doesn't even begin to sum up Columbia's blunders on this disc. Also, the audio remains the same strident mix as before. No audio clean up or noise reduction leads to dialogue sounding way too forward and unnatural, while the songs screech, rather than sing, across your speakers.
EXTRAS: Some, but not enough to make you forget that "Annie" is just about the most miserable looking DVD experience you've seen in a long while.
BOTTOM LINE: To Columbia executives: get a clue! Get a 'really big' clue. To the consumer - save your money!

1.0 out of 5 stars You either love it or hate it..., December 16, 1999
"tomovieboy" (Thousand Oaks, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Annie [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Here's a movie musical that almost no one feels middle-of-the-road about, you either truly love it, or you truly hate it. Most people who love this film don't seem to have been exposed to the play, with its great song-stack, straight-ahead plot, and well-drawn characters. The mega-buck film version, directed by John Huston, was crafted to make the material more "cinematic" and more exciting. Not entirely bad goals, but not well executed here. Trashing the score wasn't a good idea, and tacking on a chase-and-resue climax wasn't a good idea. In fact, other than the splendid casting, and a couple of the numbers ("Little Girls", "Sign", "We Got Annie")this whole movie wasn't a good idea. Inflated beyond reason, wasting a very good Broadway score, and under-utilizing the pros in the cast, poor ANNIE arrived on screen having to prove herself all over again. Producer Ray Stark honestly believed that this film would be his greatest success. Putting a faithful adaptation up there on the screen might have given him a run at that goal, but as it is, the movie is a disaster of immense proportions. Watch the superior Disney / ABC-TV version instead.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Buy this DVD! Picture Cut! It's FULL SCREEN only., December 31, 2003
This review is from: Annie (Special Anniversary Edition) (DVD)
This version is full screen only which means that the left side and the right side of the picture are cut to fit a square TV. With substantial part of the picture lost, this is the worst way of presenting an excellent musical.
This movie was previously released with Widescreen that shows the movie in exactly the way it was originally presented on the theater screen. Buy that version instead.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost as good as the original Broadway show..., June 19, 2000
This review is from: Annie (DVD)
This has been one of my favorite musicals ever since I saw the original Broadway show back in 1978. The Disney version of this classic show is much, much better than the overblown, overdone 1982 film because it is much more faithful to the stage production, even though there are a few minor plot changes.
I felt that the singing and acting was quite good. Alicia Morton was a great Annie, and Audra MacDonald played Grace Farrel, Oliver Warbucks secretary to a tee. Kathy Bates was as good of a Miss Hannigan as Carol Burnette was in the 1982 version of the film. The only person that I thought was miscast was Victor Garber as Daddy Warbucks. In all honesty, Albert Finney played the role so much better, and with more warmth and compassion than Garber. One of the big highlights in the film (for me, anyway) is Andrea McArdle's (the orignal Annie) cameo in the "N.Y.C." number. Most of the key songs from the stage show are there. However, "We'd like to thank you Herbert Hoover", "Annie", and " A New Deal for Christmas" are missing. And I admit, that I missed them in this production. Check out the CD from the original show to hear these tunes. All in all, this version from Disney is quite enjoyable, and I do recommend it.

Annie (Special Anniversary Edition)
Annie (Special Anniversary Edition) by John Huston (DVD - 2004)
$9.99 $5.00