Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Annie and the Wild Animals
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on December 2, 2004
Both my 4 year old daughter and I love this book! The pictures are gorgeous, the unusual animals are beautiful and interesting and the simple story is alot of fun! I enjoy how the story builds up and then brings itself back around to a similar place from which it had begun. I love the frog's spanish text. I didn't think it was confusing at all as one editorial reviewer mentioned above. I am buying another copy as a Christmas present for my 8 year old niece. If your child is interested in animals and forests, as mine is, I'm sure he/she will enjoy this book.
on June 22, 2007
I found this book at the Tate Museum in London recently and was completely smitten with the beautiful illustrations. Both of my children loved to recite "The Owl and the Pussycat" by Edward Lear when they were small. Now my grandchildren will be able to have this book. I've never seen better illustrations of the poem. Wait until you get to the page where "they dined upon mince and slices of quince". It's too adorable!
on January 23, 2000
Spectacularly beautiful illustrations make this book a joy. The familiar poem has a gently rocking rhythm, and the pictures have a flow of their own. My 18-month-old daughter likes to find the flower, the yellow fish, the cat and the owl on each page. The quiet familiarity of the poem calms her down during the nighttime crazies (that spurt of energy toddlers get just before they collapse into a puddle). I recommend this book for a soothing, visually delightful experience.
on October 15, 1999
I had read this book as a child, then recently came across it again as an adult. Although the story itself is simple, the moral is timeless and holds the characteristics of a downplayed fairytale. As a horse lover, I feel that there are not enough books out there which center around the majestic beast. Fritz is akin to Charlie Brown's Christmas tree. A not so beautiful, diamond in the rough, heart of gold pony who will fill readers' hearts. This book has incidentally inspired me to try my hand at writing children's horse stories as well. I recommend it to anyone who wants to teach children the importance of all too rare goodness which needs to be duplicated time and again.
11 comment|75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 21, 1999
Fritz is not beautiful, but he is gentle and kind and hard working. He rescues the children when the beautiful horses would not. This story, like all of Jan Brett's books, is wonderfully illustrated and teaches a lesson while showing the joys animals bring to a child's life.
on January 1, 2003
Not only a wonderful, heartwarming story for any age of horse and childhood lover, but the illustrations stand completely on their own. We have two others books by the same illustrator / author and are actively seeking more. A must have for all children's and pen and ink art libraries!
on May 18, 2010
Gorgeously illustrated by Anne Mortimer, this version brings to life the sweetest, loveliest Owl and Pussycat imaginable. The details of fur and feathers make these elegantly rendered animals look so soft you can almost touch them. I hesitated to buy the book after reading a review complaining the poem was incomplete. I don't know what they mean--it had the whole poem I'm familiar with, ending,
"And hand and hand, on the edge of the sand, They danced by the light of the moon, The moon, They danced by the light of the moon."
I bought this for my 4-year old niece but because it is SO beautiful I am buying another copy to keep for myself. Maybe two. Its magical.
on December 14, 2003
In Annie, as in The Mitten and others, Jan Brett tells a fun children's tale while gently showing how a children's actions affect the world around them. Just as the boy in The Mitten winds up scaring all of the animals that then crawl into the mitten, Annie's actions also have wide repercussions.
Annie has a cat. One day she notices the cat does not want to play, but tries to hide in odd places. Annie keeps finding the cat so the cat tries the outdoors. This makes Annie lonely as she wants to have a pet around the house.
She bakes corn muffins to leave outside in the snow to attract a new pet. But Annie gets more than she bargained for as first a giant moose and then a bobcat shows up. Annie makes more muffins and more animals show up.
But eventually the corn meal runs out at the same time as the warm Spring winds begin to blow. Without any muffins, the animals leave and the cat is free to come back. By following the illustrations in the borders, we know what the cat has been up to and what prevented its return.
The only downside of this book (at least in my daughter's eyes) is that there is no mention whatsoever of a parent. Are we to believe that Annie is living at the edge of the woods all by herself? But still, it is a beautiful book and a fun story. A must read for fans of Jan Brett's other books.
33 comments|25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 21, 2005
Ms. Brett has such an incredible talent for children's books! While reading this book I was enchanted by her tale of Fritz, a shetland (?) pony who was exiled from a city due to his stocky appearance. In the end this pony saves the day but not before a disaster happens on the road to the great city.

An excellent choice for a library, one that any child (although especially a horse-loving child) will want to read again and again. Ms. Brett's illustrations always set her books apart from her fellow authors and this book is no exception. She captures the life and beauty of every horse and pony in her book.

I believe that this is a second-grade reading level book although any age is certain to enjoy this story.
on November 19, 2002
This is a wonderful story about Fritz, a short, shaggy pony who lives his life in the shadow of the tall, sleek horses of the kingdom. His life changes, however, when this little "nobody" prances forward to rescue the children when the "beautiful" horses cannot.
An endearing story which teaches children that true beauty is found inside. As with all Jan Brett books, the charming illustrations will captivate even the smallest of children.
Add this one to your child's library ... it's sure to quickly become a favorite!