Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Outdoor Deals on bgg

This is a very good sci fi tale that starts off a little slow, but picks up steam fast and not a minute of action stops from about the 45% mark to the end. This is one of those sci fi tales I had a hard time putting down, and I enjoyed it. The author does a good job with the technology and dialogue, although he lost me a few times with some of the alien race names. I found myself dreaming about some of the technology and wishing I had it right here, right now.

As I type this review, the book is just 99 cents in the Kindle store - grab it now before the price goes up, as it is a dollar well spent!

You're left with a good conclusion, but obviously wanting to know what further develops in the storyline so I just purchased the second book in the series.
on February 2, 2013
I like "B" movies. I love cheesy, stupid dialogue. I like the low-budget movies where you can see the strings on the puppet monsters and the wheels underneath them to push them around. I'm a sucker for really dumb movies and books. So when I purchased this book, I knew what I was in for. Come on. Read the prologue. "Totally destroying"...??? Tells you everything you need to know about this author's writing skill.

I mean, even the title is completely absurd. Total annihilation: love conquers all...?!? I think total annihilation would conquer love every time....

So lets just admit, he's a terrible writer and the book is cheesy. If you like that, buy it and have a great laugh.

So I knew what I was in for when I bought this, but still couldn't finish it. The writing just kept making me dumber.

However, I chose to give this book 1 star because it is obvious there is a campaign afoot with this book to squash honest reviews and elevate it with false reviews.

In other words, instead of the author taking objective criticism and learning to be a better writer, he is bent (instead) of squashing anyone who would hurt the sales of his terrible book by recruiting others (family? Friends?) to game the reviews and post ridiculous 5 star reviews.

True authors love their craft, not their sales. Money comes from a well crafted novel, not from manipulation of reviews.

So now you know. Lets see how many people try to squash this review. Happy reading.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 7, 2012
At first I thought this author would be recognized enough for such a wonderful series that yet another review wasn't needed. I see a few that are less than stellar and don't give the full import of this book and the series that follow it.

I found this and the books that followed one the most incredible series I've read in decades.

When I stumbled across your first book last fall I had nearly given up finding a good book series to read. Everyone had such bleak futures, or stunted ones, where they took the technology only so far, ignoring it when it wasn't needed to solve a plot point.

Here I found big ideas, a scale that goes from planetary to eventually universes, and I do mean that in the plural, along with a wonderful message of brighter futures that the majority of science fiction lack.

It is true a story needs conflict and that's provided, but its not an anchor weighing the setting down. A problem arises and there are some pretty big and seemingly hopeless ones that come up, however once overcome (and not necessarily without struggle) its not default back to where they were in the beginning, the author takes it up another notch. The quality of life in the universe improves.

By the end of this series whole universes are journeyed to. Planet destroying weapons are flung about nearly as standard arms, teleportation is from one galaxy to another is common place, yet in all of that, the message that each life is valued comes through strongly.

Granted, when something wrong needs to be taken care of, it is. Evil, or 'just' the bad guys aren't just given a slap on the wrist and told behave. When 'grump', as the heroes say, needs kicking, its kicked and hard.

The cast of characters grows as the series grows not just from friends and allies to begin with, and sometime its a case of enemies who become friends. This aspect reminded me of the promise of the 60s and 70s, where we were just coming to grips with racial tensions and learning to get along. Where 'I have a Dream' floated before us as a desirable future.

Bright setting, great message, exciting action from personal to ship-to-ship and fleet-to-fleet as well as an incredible scale of the setting has made this a book series I've ready over and over again since I first found it in the fall and even now take a break to read a chapter or two like revisiting old friends or feel-good scenes (some of them some great action ones too).

This is a series I will be re-reading for years to come.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 4, 2012
I was extremely impressed with this book. I bought all the books in the series and was hooked start to finish.
on November 1, 2012
I got this for free in late May. It had a bunch of reviews (>60). There is a wide variety of opinion on the book if one is to believe the spread on the reviews. (26) 5-star and (17) 1-star reviews at one point when I checked.

I should have believed the many 1-star reviews. They cover the book pretty well, so there is no real reason for me to cover territory well covered by others.

I guess this qualifies as the preface, although it is not labeled that way.

"Alliance of Worlds has decided that humans are to be annihilated as an example to anyone that discovers ancient alien technology, even though there is no proof against them. They think fifty thousand warships can do the job. Unfortunately, the humans are not cooperating with their plan, and one young human who has fallen in love will change everything."

I did not read a whole lot of it before deciding it was not worth my time. I do not understand the many 5 star reviews. Normally I would attribute bad books getting a few 5 star reviews to friends, relatives, and sock puppets, but the sheer number of good reviews this one has just baffles me.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 7, 2012
I enjoyed this entire series (7 books). I agree the story does get close to "jumping the shark" but it is fun. It's good clean fun--someting I can share with my teenagers as a fun romp. The book and series is lite reading, but I found I couldn't put them down.

The books become predictable, but that is part of the fun. Good guys win, plans always work, and family is important.

I enjoyed them.

Best of all, these books represent what I like about the Kindle. It offers the ability for normal folks to write thoe story they've always wanted to read. Is it Isaac Asimov? No. Is it Jerry Pournelle? No. Fun? Yes.
on February 12, 2014
While its possible to suspend belief in some science, like FTL travel etc, it should not be necessary to create absolutely unbelievable science just to fill out a story. The "Coronado" sun panel, the size of a floor mat, capable of generating the energy of 10 sq miles of 'old' arrays is just plain impossible, and adds nothing to the story. Quote from a bit later "They no longer had to be more than 3,600 feet long to contain all the shielding and weapons necessary to protect the crews from the old nuclear reactors" How do weapons protect you from your own nuclear reactor ? This is just bad writing.

The rest of it, as far as I read, is just the same, junk.
on December 5, 2011
I liked this book too. I really enjoyed it...and that's enough for me. I look for books that grab my attention within the first few chapters....and this one had me fully engaged. It had everything I was looking for, emotional ties, special powers, aggressive enemies and exciting battles. I plan to read the complete series. So to the author, I say "Great Book"!
on July 16, 2012
This was a great story. I am going to follow with only periods because punctuation ducks on a kindle. First there are two totally unnecessary preludes you literally have to read later again verbatim. I found skipping through them mildly annoying. Then you get ten percent jumpy as hell history class. Then forty percent pretty good story. The remaining fifty percent was incredible. Maybe I am a sucker for moments but several times I found myself moved close to tears of joy. I happily recommend this book.

However I cannot image what could require four more books and despite my intention coming hers to purchase more will remain safely away until some sort of compendium exists. I hope I encourage others to read this book and make it through the beginning. This would be best defined as a space opera for those picky about defining sci fi. I am not.
on July 15, 2013
I was very disappointed by this book. The characters are poorly developed and unbelievable on just about any level. The dialog is like it was written for someone, and by someone, still in middle school. I'll never consider another Saxon Andrew novel.