5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful study Bible
I used my first copy of the Oxford Annotated Bible in the 60's when I was a student of theology, and found it to be full of necessary information to make Bible study "real." The new edition continues in this tradition, with maps, footnotes, etc. to bring the Bible to life and bring relevancy to its historical time. Good for a novice to those well versed in theology.
Published on April 13, 2009 by S. Thompson

3.0 out of 5 stars Good content, substandard product
Required to purchase this study Bible for a class. I thought it best to compare it to my old The New Oxford Annotated Bible with the Apocrypha, Revised Standard Version, Expanded Edition (Hardcover 8910A). (I prefer the RSV to the NRSV, but I'll ignore that in this review.)

Published on May 16, 2009 by D. Baker

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Good content, substandard product, May 16, 2009
This review is from: The New Oxford Annotated Bible with the Apocrypha, Augmented Third Edition, New Revised Standard Version (Hardcover)

Certainly the notes, book introductions, and essays are more comprehensive in this edition, the scholarship relying heavily on the historical-critical method. I appreciate the maps, charts, and diagrams inserted throughout the Bible. The glossary and brief concordance at the end are helpful. In short, it's a terrific resource.

My complaint is with the physical product. Unlike the handsome, sturdy binding of my old NOAB, I had to re-glue the spine on this one to prevent the cover from tearing off. (The glossy cover itself isn't much sturdier than cardboard.) It also features the cheap paper which is the bane of contemporary Bibles. A book that retails for $50, which presumably will endure heavy use, shouldn't be a piece of junk.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor book quality, November 5, 2009
Thomas A. Rose (Brentwood, Tn United States) - See all my reviews
I'm attending Bible study and have several classmates that have this book. Based on Amazon search, it indicated a newer version was available and I selected this one. I received the book today and book quality is exceptionally poor as you cannot read a page without seeing the words from page behind it, making it very difficult to read. Sending it back and trying more expensive edition and hopefully better quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful study Bible, April 13, 2009

4.0 out of 5 stars Great!, September 20, 2010
I've been using the NIV Study Bible for some years and like it a lot. I like the Oxford NRSV as it sheds another dimension, and is closer to the wittings of the early church.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow a bible I get, January 8, 2011
Wesneday night bilbe study at the Methodist Church will never be the same now. At last a bilbe that tells you about the small stuff inaddion to the HUGE stuff. Love it

5.0 out of 5 stars Biblical Studies, August 30, 2010
A very good resource. I have been using the NIV for years. This is a new Bible for me and I am beginning to appreciate the potential of this new resource

5.0 out of 5 stars I use it daily for my studies., February 1, 2014
I bought the tabs so that I don't have to search for the right book.....and I am very pleased with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars The NOxAB hits is a home run., April 17, 2010
Excellent additional maps and notes. Very easy to read. This is one of the best Bibles now on the market. The NRSV NOxAB is the Bible to use. Also the commentaries on each Book are well written; and the essays and explanations at
the end of the book are most informative.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Oxford Annotated Bible, November 26, 2009
In addition to all that is valued in scholarship, the book's binding holds up to constant, if not abusive(;)), handling, and that, is craftmanship.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase, January 17, 2010
I bought this for a Bible study and it is fabalous! The footnotes are worth the price of the book!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›