4.0 out of 5 stars Really good but still lacking a few things, December 5, 2007
This review is from: The New Oxford Annotated Apocrypha, Augmented Third Edition, New Revised Standard Version (Hardcover)
This is a really good version of the Apocrypha. The translation is easy to read. The fonts are nice and large. The paper quality is good. The binding is excellent. This version has a couple of good historical background articles in the beginning of the book.

For an introduction to the Jewish background of the New Testament, this is an excellent starting point. It is part of the required reading for the grad course on that topic at Wheaton College. This price on the book seems fair enough and with editors involved like Bruce Metzger, the quality is high.

The main reason why this particular version of the Apocrypha is preferred is twofold. A) The translation is very good and easy to read. B) The annotation-as indicated in the title-adds insignt on virtually every page.

If you already have a copy of the Apocrypha, this version might still be worth adding to your collection.

The downside: There is no glossary in the back. There is no subject index or any kind of index at all. I would like to see a concordance, glossary and subject index in the back along with more maps. If it had those, I would give this product a five star.

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful volume, January 31, 2008
I just purchased the version. The inclusion of 3 & 4 Maccabees, and Psalm 151 are important. Some editions of the Apocrypha don't include these but this one carries all the books generally to be found in the Septuagint (LXX). The notes, maps, and charts add value to this slender volume.

4.0 out of 5 stars approachable, but a few flaws, May 30, 2008
The translation and commentary are very good, and I guess that is the main thing that makes this volume very approachable and useful. The flaws include the Bible-paper used in this volume, which is very fragile, and entirely unnecessary in such a slim collection! (Where is the rule that says that biblical books must be printed on Bible paper?) The second flaw I find in some instances of poor editing: For example, page xix refers to "color Maps 6 and 14 at the end of this volume"; however, at the end the volume (inside back cover), we find only Map 2, and not in color. In a similar error, p.6 refers to "pp.453-58 Essays"; however, the book only runs 383 pages, and includes no essays. Clearly, this introductory text was copied brainlessly from some larger volume, and received no editorial review whatsoever. That said, the main contents of the book seem sound, so I give 4 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great version of the books missing from my other Bibles, November 7, 2007
This version of the Apocryphal books, traditionally found in the Septuagingt and "Catholic" Bibles is an easy read and contains many helpful tools. The introductions, maps and other background helps are indispensible in creating context for the reader. The inclusion of chapter and verse markings (which my KJV of these books lacks) is also useful in making notes and references. And above all, my allergy to the KJV doesn't flair-up when I read this volume, making for much more enjoyable reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Reference Book, June 2, 2008
I didn't want or need another whole Bible to get the apocrypha. This is a slim volume and great to have for reference. My church doesn't observe these as part of the Bible but as good Historical documents. Very interesting reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely put together, June 8, 2010
I just received my copy of The New Oxford Annotated Apocrypha. I'm happy with the layout of the book, the translation version and the quality of the product. As a Protestant Pastor I have to admit that I have not sat down and read through the Apocrypha before since it is not something we protestants include in our Bible.

As I read through this set of documents I found myself intrigued with the history and some of the concepts regarding God that I was able to gather from the individual booklets. I would recommend every Christian to be familiar with this document. I found it also helpful to have this document in it's own book form rather than buying another Bible that includes the apocrypha in it. That way I am reminded that these items are not formally part of the "Cannon" of our Scriptures. But they provide some good reference material.

Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great intro's, commentary, organization and translation, November 27, 2010
Tanya Wadley (Salt Lake City, Utah United States) - See all my reviews
I've always wanted to read the apocrypha and finally got around to it. I bought this version after reading several reviews and since I have never read another version I can only comment that this version has been a pleasure to read with great background on each book provided as well as extensive footnotes and an easy to read and enjoyable translation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Textbook, January 10, 2014
Thank you for keeping the cost of textbooks lower than almost everyone else.If you would end the required number of words for leaving feed-back I would leave such feed-back. I am very satisfied with Amazon's system of the sale of new and used books. This has allowed me to purchase textbooks for the University modules I am taking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost there, July 22, 2012
I purchased this to get more comments on the Apocrypha than are provided with my KJV. The annotations could be more extensive. Apparently, the fourth edition remedies this. I purchased the third edition for the low price ($1.60 for a new book, plus shipping.) I was hoping for more background information; who wrote each book and when it was written, but what is provided is fine. Overall, I am happy with it, as it moves me forward in my study of Bible history. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants an inexpensive way to learn about the Apocrypha.

Used & New from: $0.73