5.0 out of 5 stars Great Set for the Money
I shopped around quite a bit before finally settling on this set and I am very pleased with my purchase. I don't understand a lot of the complaints.

Published on December 28, 2005 by Daleen

3.0 out of 5 stars Great cookware - doesn't last
We registered for this cookware as a wedding gift. We love the tempered-glass lids so we can see what's cooking. The pans have a nice substantial feel and work well with our smoothtop range. The stay-cool riveted handles are great.

Published on July 8, 2005 by Blueskitten

3.0 out of 5 stars Great cookware - doesn't last, July 8, 2005
Blueskitten (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anolon Professional Hard Anodized Nonstick 12-Piece Cookware Set (Kitchen)

At first we loved the nonstick coating, it did what it was supposed to do. However, we have had the pans for less than three years (2 years 8 months) and the nonstick coating is already beginning to come off. We have followed the directions for care and cleaning, and not used any metal utensils on them, so I am very disappointed that the coating hasn't lasted longer. We do cook frequently with high heat, but on a good set of cookware that shouldn't make the coating come off this quickly. There are little hairline scratches (probably from stir-frying shrimp or steaming shellfish) where the coating is now beginning to clump up and rub off when we wash it.

It's sad, because we cook a lot, we love this cookware and were hoping it would last us a long time. Looks like I'll have to replace some of our frequently-used pieces, and this time I'll be going without a nonstick coating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Set for the Money, December 28, 2005

The fact that the set is a bit heavy is a plus in my book, not a minus. I would have been greatly disappointed if they would have been light and flimsy. I checked out a few different good sets at bed, bath and beyond before buying on-line, and I didn't think any of the big name brand hard adonized sets were any lighter than these.

One of the big selling points for me for this set is the fact that they are oven safe to 500 degrees. I have a few recipes I use all the time that start out on the stove and then move into a 375 or 400 oven, or finish under the broiler and this set can take that. Some of the others I compared have handles that won't take that kind of heat. Despite the metal handles, I am very happy that they don't get hot on the stove.

I don't put my pots and pans in the dishwasher because my family of five fills up the dishwasher too quickly, so handwashing is no problem for me either. They wash so easily anyway, and I have never had a problem with food sticking to the rivets where the handle handles attach.

I bought this set at a very discounted price here at Amazon and am thrilled with the purchase. Cooking is so much more enjoyable with great tools.

I haven't had mine as long as some of the others here, but so far they are holding up just fine. I use them every day, and if they do end up looking a bit worn any time soon, I will still be satisfied that I got more than my money's worth.

2.0 out of 5 stars Peeling after a couple years, March 10, 2006
Although I ONLY hand washed these pots and pans, somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd year, the nonstick coating on the pans started lifting. I also do not use metal cooking utensils.

All that being said, I still use these pots and pans (been almost 5 years now).

Overall, I originally bought this set for ~$300 5 years ago. The pots are still in excellent condition. If I was looking for pots and pans, I would consider purchasing another set at $150.

I do cook a lot (used for business) so my 5 years with these pans may equate to 7-10 years of normal use.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, but nonstick far from permanent, November 5, 2005
My experience mirrors that of "Bluekitten." In less than three years, a couple pieces (the most heavily used) began to totally lose their nonstick ability, even after careful adherence to cleaning/use guidelines. I suspect it was from heat: The pieces that fail have been used periodically with up to, oh, 75 percent heat on my gas range (NEVER full), and they were the ones to fail.

Unlike one previous reviewer, I found Anolon's customer service to be fine. I had no trouble finding their address, and recently shipped one piece back for warranty service. Anolon replaced it with a comparable piece from the new "Advanced" line, as I suspect they're not making this line anymore.

All things considered, it's nice cookware, but seems very sensitive to excess heat. If you're a patient cook who can happily wait for the pan to get to cooking temp at half-blast or less (it will, in time), this set would be fine for you.

I also found the pans to stain and discolor very quickly on the outside. Given that, if I was shopping for a new set today, I'd go with the Advanced series -- which has nonstick coating inside AND out, likely prolonging the nice look of the cookware.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better to buy cookware seen in person, December 22, 2006
This is not a bad set, but, if I have seen it in a store I would have noticed problems I couldn't live with and would have passed it by. Pros: These are heavy pans that heat uniformly with a great tough non-stick interior. Cons: The pan handles are hollow and the metal tubes have a open seam on the bottom. They don't have a good solid balanced "feel" when picked up and I have caught my skin in the handle seam several times. The lid handles get hot so you need a pot holder to pick them up. The fry pans are shallower than others allowing food to spill over the sides. Food stubbornly sticks to the large rivets used to attach the pan to the handle. I gave them to my nephew who is just starting out and bought myself less expensive low-end stainless steel Calphalon pots and pans at Kohls. The Calphalon pans have a very nice thick rubber grip on both pan and lid handles.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, July 1, 2006
I started off liking this set a lot! But over time (less than 2 yrs.), I'm getting more and more disappointed by it. With the large Dutch-oven type pan (which I love using such a size), it is rather warped (after only the first use!) and doesn't sit flat on my smooth glass top surface. That makes for uneven cooking. Then, on my 8 qt. saucepan, the water boiled away once causing the food to stick. Now I can't even cook pasta without it totally sticking! It is worthless! I am so careful with these pans -- I don't even stack them (Takes us a ton of space in my kitchen this way, too.) and I NEVER use metal utensils or wash them in the dishwasher but they seem to be wearing out. I've only used them for less than 2 years, having bought them for use in my brand new home. Now that I need just these two replacement pieces, they seem to have discontinued the line. Also, I don't like how the lid handles get hot. Not so sure this was my best option in cookware. Good luck with yours!

3.0 out of 5 stars Use for a few years an toss, March 10, 2006
The manufacturing is decent. The non-stick is great at first, but if it ever scratches, it all goes downhill. Most non-sticks from good manufacturers only seem to last a good 2-3 years of use. Less if you're using somewhat abrasive cleaning pads and throwing into the dishwasher. I must admit that I fall into the latter sometimes and just lack the detail to wash it by hand and get lazy and throw it into the dishwasher. They still lasted me a few years even when doing so.

As for warranties, whether it's Calphanlon, Analon, Circulon, etc...it's not worth the shipping to get the pan back. Heck, the set here is now only $135. For that price, you could buy two sets, use one set for 3 years, toss it and then use the next set for another 3 years. I've sent woks back to Calphalon and the costs and downtime are just too great.

The 'care' for non-sticks are a joke. If you read the reviewer below, it basically means, don't use if you don't want the non-stick to peel. if you want to stir fry, sear or pan fry with high temps, it's not recommended on non-sticks as the temperature is very high.

3.0 out of 5 stars Company does not stand behind the product, June 5, 2006
We've had these for two years and really have loved them. We still do love them. But, we dropped the lid to the stock pot and it shattered. The company tells us they do not stock replacmenet lids for Anolon Professional, but we could use one of the other Anolon line lids. Unfortunatly the size of this lid does not agree with any of those that they do have. So, like the product, but am very disappointed with the company.

5.0 out of 5 stars A+ Highly Recommended!!!, September 24, 2006
I've owned this set for 5 years now and have nothing but good things to say! I use my pots daily and I hand wash for the most part, only because it is so effortless to get them clean. I use only bamboo or plastic ware on it, so scratching has never been a problem. The handles on the pots and lids do get hot so keep those ovenmits handy! The cooking is fantastic! I can cook all day long on high and not burn anything! The size is really great especially if you have a big family you are cooking for. I've not tried them in the oven, because I have ovenware, but I know they are safe up to 500F. I highly recommend this set, you will not be disapointed! :-)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good set, but has faults, December 25, 2005
Janet Allen "sandpiper" (Florida, United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this set almost two years ago, and have been fairly satisfied with it in most respects. However, it is beginning to lose its non-stick coating, and some foods are sticking. This is especially a problem with the large stockpot. I agree with those who say that pots and pans are meant to be used and cooked with, and not pampered. I have followed all instructions as given by the manufacturer, but am still having a problem with the coatings. I have not tried to send the stockpot back, but it does seem that others have been unsuccessful. Maybe I will give it a try.

Since I have nothing else to recommend, this set is probably worth the money. However, don't expect it to last a lifetime.