Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Another Lost Decade: 80s Hard to Find Hits
Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on April 7, 2006
These days, it's not difficult to find music from the 1980s - there are digital music stations, FM radio stations dedicated solely to this decade, and, of course, downloads. However, there are still songs that elude a dedicated 80s fan, and this compilation is a worthy addition to one's collection. Personally, I bought this CD for Deon Estus' "Heaven Help Me", but was happy with the other songs, including Hipsway's "The Honeythief", "10-9-8" by Face to Face and "No More 'I Love You's'" by The Lover Speaks (most listeners will be familiar with Annie Lennox's version). There are songs from ABC, Hall & Oates and the Thompson Twins, as well as from more obscure acts like The Models and One 2 Many. Like the album promises, these are the hard to find songs, the ones that have been forgotten (for the most part). If you're looking for 80's pop music other than Rick Springfield, Journey or Pat Benatar, this is the collection for you!
on June 18, 2006
I am glad that I discovered this CD, there are some truly hard to find songs on here, some that I haven't heard in close to 20 years such as Downtown, Strange But True and Sugar Free, I vaguely remember 10-9-8 as well. It's also nice to see The Honeythief and The Flame, 2 songs that I have always liked. There are a few songs on here that I have never even heard of, but there are bound to be some fans out there looking hard for these songs.

I don't quite understand why When Smokey Sings and Lay your Hands on Me are on here though, I like both of these songs quite well, but I don't think they are that hard to find, unless it's the particular versions that aren't readily available. I guess I would have rather seen other obscure songs in their place though. But that's just a minor quibble, this is a great CD with a nice selection of tunes that really bring you back in time. I really liked the 80's, hard to believe it was so long ago.

If you are a fan of 80's music but are tired of seeing the same songs over and over on compilations, this would be a great choice.
on March 31, 2012
I found this CD while hunting for "Heaven Help Me", Deon Estus' Top 5 hit with George Michael on backing vocals. I was pleasantly surprised to find the disc includes 4 other songs I also didn't have on CD yet: "Sugar Free" by Wa Wa Nee, "Downtown" by One 2 Many, "Strange But True" by Times Two, and "(I Can't) Break Away" by Big Pig. I was also glad to get the single versions of "When Smokey Sings" and "Lay Your Hands on Me".

While I had the Hipsway, Face To Face, Oxo, and Models hits already, I don't see them around too often and most fans probably don't have them. All these songs are good to excellent, making this a good purchase for fans of '80's music looking for something a little off the beaten path.
on February 23, 2008
The reason I purchased this cd was Deon Estus - Heaven Help Me, which to my knowledge does not appear on any other compilation. I was also pleasantly surprized by some of the other material on the cd. The single version of the Fixx's Deeper and Deeper only appears on the Streets of Fire Soundtrack and not on any of the Fixx's muliple Greatest Hits discs. There are single versions of Hall & Oates, Thompson Twins and ABC songs that have not appeared on other compilations. I have always loved the Times Two song "Strange But True". My only gripe with the CD is Hipsway and OXO which appear on many of my collection cd's. To me they aren't rare but then again to the average collector, they may be. They are still enjoyable songs so I can't complain too much. All in all, I wish there were more cd's like this out there.
on February 11, 2011
If you're looking for the single version of Hall & Oates "Method Of Modern Love", this is the only place you'll find it. Also, "Sugar Free" by Wa Wa Nee is another lost gem. Overall, it's a fun CD.
on August 30, 2007
I'll be honest, I picked up this CD for one song, Deon Estus's "Heaven Help Me", a song that is impossible to buy anywhere else unless you are going to pay upwards of $30.00 on Amazon for the CD it was on back in the 80's.
Once I listened to the rest of the songs I found alot of other songs that I forgot existed that brought back alot of memories.

If you lived during the 1980's and enjoyed the music, this is worth picking up and adding to your collection.
on June 20, 2008
this is great cd for songs very hard to find, some not even available on itunes.
on May 16, 2008
I actually purchased this cd for Heaven Help Me. I love that song!! Deon Estus and George Michael were a great team. (Probably because Deon sounded a lot like George). There are some other good ones on this cd like Flame by Arcadia and Method Of Modern Love by Hall and Oates.
on April 8, 2006
Well, yes and no. See, some of these songs are ALREADY available on previous CD's, but several of them also 'aren't' (at least that I'm aware of). Time-Life stringed together a strong comp. here of well-known tunes (When Smokey Sings, Method Of Modern Love, Honeythief, Whirly Girl) combined with MUCH lesser-known tracks (Deeper & Deeper, No More "I Love You's" (The Lover Speaks version, that is), Lay Your Hands On Me, Out of Mind, Out of Sight), as well as totally obscure songs for the vast majority (Downtown, The Flame, Strange But True, I Can't Break Away). Good thing is, however, that even a couple of the WELL-KNOWN tracks haven't made their way to many CD comps before, if any at all. And you have this same type of random occurence on all the above-broken down groups-- some are brand new to CD (various artists comps, more specifically), while others aren't, regardless of where they fall in the 'collective conscious' level of the general public. Makes for a solid, unique assortment.

As for the tracks themselves-- well, as with all comps., some work and some don't. For my money, however, the ones that DO work are pure quality. A true treat! Method of Modern Love, When Smokey Sings, The Honeythief, Downtown, Strange But True, 10-9-8..., The Flame and the highly underrated, overlooked Deeper & Deeper keep me popping this baby into the CD player every other week. I own a few of the aforementioned on other CD's, but they mix in sturdily- even dynamically- on here.

I recommend this CD for any & all 80's music aficionados, but of course, with the added emphasis or urge on those in the constant search for the more 'remote', 'hidden' side of the decade's songs collection/vastness.
on October 31, 2008
This CD was recommended to me when I bought another one, and I'm glad that I got it. There are songs on it that I haven't been able to find elsewhere.