5.0 out of 5 stars Waiting for the inevitable
Published on October 31, 2003 by The RAWSISTAZ Reviewers

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Sure How This Book Received So Many Five Star Ratings
Published on June 2, 2004 by Chocolate

5.0 out of 5 stars Waiting for the inevitable, October 31, 2003
The RAWSISTAZ Reviewers (RAWSISTAZ.com and BlackBookReviews.net) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Another Man's Wife: A Novel (Paperback)
ANOTHER MAN'S WIFE tells about friendship, marriage and family. Yani, Asia, and Alex each have something in common. Yani is slowly coming to realize that her first and only love Jarrin may never return after five years of waiting for the inevitable. Asia is looking for love and can't help but wonder if it's in the right place. Alex keeps attracting the wrong type women and is ready for a change. Bryce and Carmen, who are mutual friends to them all, have what Yani, Alex and Asia want... a happy marriage.
When Bryce and Carmen decide to play "matchmaker" and skillfully plan the meeting of Alex and Yani, the results are more than they expect. Will Alex tell Yani who he really is or will he keep his true identity under wraps until he's absolutely sure? Will Yani tell Alex her secret? In the meantime, Asia is trying to see if a lost love can be rekindled when she ends up in Miami with her former fiancé, Hayden. Why was their engagement called off?
ANOTHER MAN'S WIFE takes you through the trials and tribulations of relationships and shows you how lies, untold stories and uncertainty can either make them stronger or make them diminish. Experience the whirlwind courtship of Yani and Alex and the sexually driven relationship of Asia and Hayden. Mrs. Cheekes does an excellent job of telling each story in the first person with a smooth transition from one to the other.
ANOTHER MAN'S WIFE is a highly recommended read that is guaranteed to keep you wondering what happens next. It's not predictable and the end results are guaranteed to put a smile on your face and tears in your eyes.
Reviewed by Ess Mays
of The RAWSISTAZ Reviewers

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it! Loved it! Loved it!, March 29, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Another Man's Wife: A Novel (Paperback)
I picked this book up Saturday night and was finished by noon Sunday! Wow! A really easy read. I fell in love with Ms. Asia. I hope there'll be a second part to let us know whether or not Asia gets it together and if anything new should happen between Alex and Asia. And let's not forget the other perfect couple, Carmen and Bryce. They all seemed like people I could hang with. I'm all ready to plan my trip to Miami so I can hit the hot spots in the book! I recommend this book to all who want to know how women should really be treated. The author did a good job of portraying men in a positive light. Go out and get your copy today!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Sure How This Book Received So Many Five Star Ratings, June 2, 2004
This review is from: Another Man's Wife: A Novel (Paperback)
First of all, everybody has their own opinions about what is good and what isn't. But I don't understand how this book got so many 5 star ratings. I read the book because of the hype and the ratings. So that disappointed me. I actually started the book and after awhile through it to the side. I always try to finish a book because sometimes they get better and this book did. Five stars is the best a book can be. I only give 5 stars when the book is off the chain from the first word to the last one. I did enjoy the book, but like some of the other readers, it took awhile for me to get into the book. I wanted to do like one of the other readers and skip through some parts to get to the real plot of the story. It just took so long for the story to unfold. The story line is slow and I feel that some parts could have been left out and some others more developed. I have never read a book with this type of storyline so Shonda gets a A for originality, but not for deliverance. Parts of the book is unrealistic to me. I couldn't see anyone waiting like she did for 5 whole years. Then Shonda didn't introduce Jarrin back into the story correctly. It was kind of elementary and silly. After he gave his excuse Yani's response was elementary. Jarrin didn't act as if they had been together for years. He acted like Yani was someone he casually dated. It was to unrealistic. Now Alex, he was a keeper! Alex was any woman's dream. To me it wouldn't be any competiton. The way Shonda created Jarrin's personality didn't make the story believable. Shonda could have drawn that drama out some! In my opinion, where the drama started is where the book ended. It was good for the first book. I do recommend the book, but don't expect to be blown off your feet.

5.0 out of 5 stars An awesome read . . ., November 13, 2003
Amazon Customer "adlaloop" (Houston, Tx United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Another Man's Wife: A Novel (Paperback)
What a wonderful story! Congratulations to Shonda Cheeks! She took a familiar storyline and gave us memorable characters and drama with a different flavor. I was completely in the story form the first chapter. It is a page turner. I will definately list this as one of my Best Books for 2003.
Can't wait for Ms Cheeks next book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable!, October 18, 2005
LOCKSIE "ARC Book Club Inc" (Mt. Vernon, N.Y./Coram, N.Y.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Another Man's Wife: A Novel (Paperback)
Past fail relationships have a way of embedding themselves into our soul. We sometimes live in the shadows of them causing us to be afraid to move on, and even when we do we second guess ourselves.
Yanni Miller's marriage of fifteen years suddenly comes to a halt, when her husband Jarrin disappears leaving her with two kids and a mortgage. Her family and friends tell her to declare him dead and move on with her life. But Yanni still loves him and everyday for five years she hopes and prays that he will return.
Eventually she realize he's not coming back. With help from her loveable but pushy friend Carmen, she meets Alex, a sexy, single, successful business man. The attraction to each other is so strong it cannot be denied. Their whirlwind relationship leads to marriage, but just when you think it's a happy ending we find out that it's not easy to leave the past behind.
Grimey Jarrin has been watching and plotting his return, he finally makes his move.

Why did Jarrin leave and why return now? What was he doing for the last five years? Does Yanni go back to him?(legally they are still married.) How do the kids feel about their fathers return? What will happen to Alex?
To find out these and many more revelations you going to have to buy this book.
This novel was a welcome change to what I've been reading lately. Shonda Cheekes has penned a wonderful story with excellent strong characters. I was totally into this book from start to finish.

Locksie
ARC Book Club Inc.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a extraordinary book!, January 9, 2004
This review is from: Another Man's Wife: A Novel (Paperback)
This book was a page turner, I couldn't put it down. Shonda Cheeks even had a twist at the end. If you are a lover of books, this is a serious must read. I can't wait until her next book is released.

5.0 out of 5 stars True Love Does Exists..., April 4, 2005
This review is from: Another Man's Wife: A Novel (Paperback)
...and sometimes its takes a second try to actually get it right. This was an excellent book. Ms. Cheekes vividly painted the characters so well that I could picture them and I felt like I knew them personally. I finished it in three days and only because I made myself put it down.

Yani is a woman emotionally scarred after being abandoned by her husband of over a decade. Alex Chance is a man sick of "gold diggers" and ready to settle down with someone who is sincere about wanting him for him. The two meet and its a match made in heaven...that is until her MIA husband returns and Yani has to chose between her first love who abandons her and the new love who has given her all the love she wants and needs. This is definitely a page turner that is sure to leave you wondering whats going to happen next.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love a Great Read- This is a MUST BUY!, June 11, 2004
Denise E. McGill (Stone Mountain, GA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Another Man's Wife: A Novel (Paperback)
To those readers who look at reviews, you can appreciate what I am about to say. Most of us know that most of the story lines are "not believable"- but if you are like me,you also are reading for the possibilites that the story can bring.
A great book is one that captures your attention, keeps you in it until the end..and has you wanting more! A great author is one who can use their skills to keep you wanting more. This book does it and more. I would say to you that this is one of the best I have read in quite some time. "Another Man's Wife" is a secret treasure. If you love a great story, and love a wonderful read, this book is for you. From the moment I picked up the book, I was mesmerized, and did not put it down until I finished. I literally completed reading this book in one day.

In a world where African American men are not given their proper due, Yani & Alex's story was refreshing. The way the story is written transports you right to their world. Yani's sister Asia keeps her in check, with her quirky remarks and her deep love for her sister. Carmen and Bruce have you laughing, We all know a couple just like them in our lives. If you have ever had that one love in your life that has left you heartbroken and the relationship unresolved, then you can certainly empathize with Yani. We all know a "Yani" out there who has clung onto a "Jarrin" never really giving up hope. You can also imagine a man like Alex, powerful, loving, successful, our own "African American Prince Charming if you will. Alex is what we all have in the special men in our lives- It's these characteristics that make him believable and lovable moreso than his economic stature. His love,committment, and strength is what we come to love about him.
For those of you who are interested, I have learned that a sequel indeed is coming in 2005-I can hardly wait!
All hail to Ms. Cheekes- I personally look forward to future reads!

4.0 out of 5 stars Why'd You Wait So Long, April 8, 2004
This review is from: Another Man's Wife: A Novel (Paperback)
Marriage is supposed to last forever. At least that's what Yani Fenton thought when she walked down the aisle. But one day when her husband Jarrin leaves and never returns Yani realizes that is only a dream.
After five years of celibacy and prayer that Jarrin will return, Yani decides to move on with her life. It's a hard choice but it's what she feels is best for herself and her children. With the assistance of a good friend Yani meets Alex Chance and begins a new life for herself. Alex is everything that she has ever wanted and then some. Not only is she smitten but her children are also. Realizing that love has given her a second chance she decides that she is finally ready to be Another Man's Wife. Everything is going well and and they are living out the fairytale that all women dream of. But life as Yani now knows it is gets really complicated when Jarrin decides to walk back in the picture.
Unsure of what is right or wrong anymore, Yani withdraws from her husband (Alex) to figure out what she should do. She is determined to do the right thing but isn't sure what the right thing is. Should she stay where she is or take a chance on what she was? There are so many choices but not enough time. Hopefully Yani will make the right one.
Shonda Cheekes has crafted a unique novel. It gives you a look at love from a different perspective. Touching and downright funny at times Another Man's Wife shows us that things don't always go as planned.
Readincolor Reviewers
Angie Pickett-Henderson

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh So Good!!, June 26, 2004
This review is from: Another Man's Wife: A Novel (Paperback)
"Another Man's Wife" by newcomer Shonda Cheekes was so hot, it was on fire! It was full of drama, romance and suspense.
The story is about Yani Fenton, a good woman whose husband walked out on her and their two children after fifteen years without even turning back. Yani and the kids waited five years for his return, but never got the satisfaction of seeing him again.
In comes Alex Chance a big shot business man who treats her like the ULTIMATE Queen. They quickly fall in love, and get married. But of course just like real life, once you are happy in the place you are, life throws some road blocks in the way. Her road block being Jarrin Miller, her husband who she finally decided to stop waiting for, and who she already claimed as dead.
From the moment Jarrin steps back on the scene, problems begin to arise, and Yani is faced with making a choice between the man that she has fallen in love with, and her first love -- the man who she thought she would spend the rest of her life with.
This book was a GREAT read. Yani is surrounded by loving friends and family members. I LOVED her sister Asia, she was the friend/sister we wished we all had (if we don't already).
I recommend this book to anyone, but I suggest you read it on vacation or something because it will definatly keep you up ALLLL night!

Another Man's Wife: A Novel
Another Man's Wife: A Novel by Shonda Cheekes (Paperback - October 1, 2003)
$23.99 $16.47