Customer Discussions > The Town forum

Another Question about the Extended Cut

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 3, 2011 12:45:11 PM PST
MB15213 says:
How long is it?

Here's why I ask: I read on IMDB that this movie was originally 4 hours long. Affleck & Co trimmed it to just over 3 hours to get the studio's approval of the movie but were told it still needed to be trimmed before it could be released. More editing ensued and the version that was released in theaters ran at something like 2 hours and 8 minutes.

So I'm wondering which extended version is part of this DVD/Blu-Ray combo - is it 4 hours long or more like 3?

I loved this movie but thought that it felt sort of incomplete - when I found out how much it had been edited, that feeling made sense. I'm really curious to see the extended version.

Posted on Jan 3, 2011 8:58:21 PM PST
no about two and a half hours

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2011 6:58:57 AM PST
MB15213 says:
The extended version is only 2.5 hours?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2011 5:14:03 PM PST
Yeah, so did I get a wrong Blu ray disc of this movie. WHere is the extended cut!?? How do you get to it? There are no options for it except Play movie, Languages, Scene Selection, Special Features. The Blu ray disc itself has a big picture of a gun on it in black and silver. Is this correct? Someone please respond and let me know.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2011 3:08:51 PM PST
bfore13 says:
Before you get to the Play movie, Languages, Scene Selection, Special Features menu there's an option to Play the Theatrical Ed or Play Extended Ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2011 3:27:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2011 3:29:33 PM PST
not on mine. just goes right to menu with play, languages, etc. what am i missing?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2011 2:13:29 PM PST
When you click on play on the blu-ray version menu screen, it should say " Play Theatrical or Play Extended" I got confused when I first bought it too. If you go right the scene selection you won't see it.

Posted on Jan 22, 2011 9:39:21 PM PST
jamnorthwest says:
I'm having the same problem; I see no option for theatrical v extended version. When I load the BR disc, it goes right to the menu screen where the choices are play, language, scene selection, and special features. When I select play, it begins to play the theatrical version. I can't figure out how to get to the extended version option, waaaaa! It's driving me nuts. I updated my firmware, thinking it was that, but it didn't help. If anyone has figured this problem out, please let us know how you did it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2011 2:01:48 AM PST
L. Pedersen says:
Not that its any help, but i have the same problem, i can't find the extended cut version, bloody annoying, hope somebody can help.
I have an Oppo BDP83, freshly updated by the way.

Posted on Jan 23, 2011 3:43:18 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 23, 2011 3:54:30 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 23, 2011 3:59:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 23, 2011 7:26:44 PM PST
Keith says:
There is no extended cut on my Blu-ray either. I am having the same results as Tim and others have posted.

edit: Please see my post below for an update.

Posted on Jan 23, 2011 9:26:37 AM PST
jamnorthwest says:
I'm wondering if we got discs from a bad batch that's missing the extended cut, what with so many of us having the same problem. I'm going to send mine back for a replacement.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2011 9:40:49 AM PST
L. Pedersen says:
I have sent an e-mail to Amazon explaining the problem, and linking to this forum so they can see im not the only one.

Posted on Jan 23, 2011 4:20:49 PM PST
jamnorthwest says:
Question for those whose disc does not have the extended cut: did you buy the blu-ray alone or the dvd/blu-ray combo pack? I bought the dvd/blu-ray combo pack, but I notice that's not for sale on the website anymore. Now the choices are either dvd alone or blu-ray alone. Just wondering if that has something to do with it; maybe the blu-rays in the combo pack were defective?

Posted on Jan 23, 2011 7:24:27 PM PST
Keith says:
[Update to my earlier post]

To others in this thread experiencing the missing extended cut: please see the new discussion I created on the Amazon product page. I apologize to MB for posting in your discussion (good topic BTW) with this unrelated issue.

jamnorthwest: Yes, I have the Blu-ray/DVD combo (UPC 883929106653) and you're right that Amazon is no longer selling the combo pack.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2011 7:28:54 AM PST
L. Pedersen says:
When i ordered it, i could only choose the Bluray/digital copy/dvd version or plain dvd version, but Amazon has already sent me a
replacement free of charge, hope it has the extended cut on it.

Posted on May 13, 2011 8:50:32 PM PDT
mplo says:
I'd be curious to see the extended version of "The Town", especially because I thought the theatrical release of this film had far too many loose ends and therefore there were too many dots left unconnected that might've made the theatrical release of "The Town" more credible. I did like Chuck Hogan's novel "Prince of Thieves" on which "The Town" was based considerably better than the movie, and, from what I've read/heard, the extended cut is more true to the book, especially since the characters, especially Krista Coughlin and the FBI Agt. Frawley are more fleshed out and developed, as is Doug and Claire's romance, which, btw, the movie could've done a lot less with.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Town forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Jan 3, 2011
Latest post:  May 13, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions