Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 23, 2011 5:56:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 23, 2011 5:58:22 AM PDT
O B says:
So Nora Roberts is beginning a new trilogy..."The Inn BoonsBoro Trilogy, Book 1" heaven help us all.

I am not looking forward to this series at all. The sad part I know I will end up reading it and hoping for the best and end up being disappointed again. It already looks like its going to be a re-hash of all of Nora Roberts other trilogies. And unfortunately this one may have something to do with magick (Nora Roberts spelling not mine).

Really wish she go back to writing in depth characters and getting to understand why they fall in love and actually have to get through real issues. And no it does not always have to deal with a ghost, vampire, witch, demon, etc.

Posted on Jun 29, 2011 11:39:20 AM PDT
Sheri Moore says:
I agree totally with you D. Herring.....her trilogies especially have been sub-par in my opinion, well at least since way back in her Irish ones. I just got done reading her latest "Chasing Fire" I enjoyed it, but again same outline, just different names, different location and different job description of the characters. Very predictible and can figure out the murderer half way through the book. She needs to take a whole new direction on her romance/suspense books. Shake things up and us too.

Posted on Jun 29, 2011 11:42:17 AM PDT
O B says:
Yeah I wish she would take a year or longer off and just concentrate on writing a new exciting novel. Her J.D. novels are constantly evolving and changing a few have been miss for me but are still way above her typical magick, romance, thriller trilogies...

Posted on Jun 29, 2011 12:11:35 PM PDT
Sheri Moore says:
I read like the first 5 of her J.D. Robb, and I'm a big SyFy fan. But even with those I got kinda bored. I get the impression she writes about something that is current in her life. Her garden trilogy because she likes to garden, the Bride trilogy because she had someone in her family get married. etc. She's like searching for a topic then gets out her trusty ole outline and fills in the blanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2011 12:19:27 PM PDT
O B says:
The J.D. Robb's do get stale but the last three have me happy again. I think Fantasy in Death was probably my favorite of her novels. Hopefully Treachery and From New York to Dallas are just as good.

Also about her trilogies I agree it has to be because of events going on. I have to say she is a thorough researcher but when she just puts out everything she knows about gardening, or dog training, or being a smoke jumper it gets boring and starts reading like a manual.

At least she stopped the magick novels though I have a bad feeling this one is going to have glimmers of the supernatural in it.

Posted on Jun 29, 2011 12:39:12 PM PDT
Sheri Moore says:
I could not get into the Circle Trilogy at all...never finished the Sign of Seven, the Key trilogy and the Bride trilogy were just meh. I think my favorite Trilogy was the Born In and Chesapeake Bay ones. I could still re-read those.

Posted on Jun 29, 2011 7:32:20 PM PDT
O B says:
Me too the other trilogies were pretty bad

Posted on Jul 5, 2011 11:19:26 PM PDT
MaryE says:
I like her books, including the trilogy. I just reread the Sign of 7. Yes, some are better than others, but her characterizations and her dialog are just two of the reasons I like her books. I'm glad she's prolific.

Posted on Jul 6, 2011 7:23:06 AM PDT
O B says:
I think for some of her earlier trilogies she was fantastic. I loved the Born In trilogy. She actually built up six couples over three books slowly so I didn't get whiplash wondering how in the world did they manage to fall in love. And for all three couples there was not a whiff of magick about just two ordinary people falling in love and they were great.

MaryE glad you loved the Sign of 7 that for me was the worst of the trilogies.

Posted on Jul 6, 2011 7:34:36 AM PDT
Sheri Moore says:
I have 3 older sisters and I could really relate to the sibling dynamics in most of her books.

Posted on Jul 6, 2011 7:43:02 AM PDT
O B says:
Yeah she writes siblings well though like I said some of them just got on my nerves. The Born in trilogy I thought had great dynamics between the two sisters and then the half sister that was introduced in the last book.

Posted on Jul 6, 2011 1:25:25 PM PDT
MaryE says:
What I like about her dialog is that I can imagine some real people in some situations actually saying that. Some authors just can't nail the dialog, the men don't sound like any man I've ever met and the women don't sound like real women and don't get me started on the kids.

Years ago, in a Silhouette book I think, there was a short passage in which one of the characters, a woman, was upset because a young man was thinking of her as a woman, romantically, rather than as her lawyer. Maybe the Rachel Stanislaski book? Anyway, she's telling the man in her life about it and he totally doesn't get it. To her saying 'he's thinking about me as a woman, he replies 'how is he supposed to think of you? As a tuna?' I laughed about that and remember that because I can absolutely picture some guy just not getting what she's trying to say, like it's all in code. I know guys who would say some variation on the same thing. I'm paraphrasing, because I don't remember the exact quotes, but that kind of thing sounds right. The guy who gets it right away and knows exactly what she's talking about and says all the right things in response? They aren't out there, they don't sound real and they don't resemble in any way the guy in your life that you had an argument with last week about something and neither of you are exactly sure that the other knows what the argument was about.

Posted on Jul 6, 2011 2:56:13 PM PDT
Sheri Moore says:
You can always tell the author has trouble with the male characterization when his dialogue is "her eyes were lovely" as example...no guy thinks like that IMO he is more apt to say "she has killer eyes" or "wow look at her eyes" or "her eyes turn me on" . It is a dead give-a-way to me that the female author is doing the discription as a female would think it not as a male would think it.

Posted on Jul 8, 2011 10:08:50 AM PDT
O B says:
Yeah some of the dialogue always makes me laugh. How else would someone look at you, you are a woman!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2011 12:43:22 PM PDT
This post, along with the other posts, are saying something to me. Her books are boring. The same old - same old. D. Baldwin

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 1:03:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 9, 2011 1:05:05 PM PDT
Sheri Moore says:
She needs a fresh approach or to retire. I've been reading her since the the early 80's.

Her new triology, more of the same?.

She and her husband own a Boonsboro Inn. Fate or coinsidence?

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 2:13:20 PM PDT
When I first saw this I was certain this wasn't a rehashing of a trilogy, it's the MacKade quad... Maryland...Brothers...Inn?
I think I read this already.
I also agree that the sign of 7 was awful only in that since I've read all the other trilogies that I knew what the third book would look like...*yawn* While I under for a writer, finding a formula that works (and lets face it, Nora Robert's formula for romance works) the fact that once all six characters were introduced, I could tell where the story went was still depressing
I did like the dog though....

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 2:17:16 PM PDT
Sheri Moore says:
The guys in her new trilogy last name is Montgomery.

Posted on Aug 13, 2011 6:33:32 AM PDT
Deborah V says:
I think I read somewhere that she was happy or delighted to be writing this trilogy since she and her husband own the Inn Boonsboro. She doesn't say much about it on her website though. But in the FAQ's she does state: "While Nora had a great time writing the Circle and Sign of Seven trilogies, she's taking a break from stories with paranormal elements. If a fabulous idea occurs to her, no doubt she'll find a way to bring it to the page."

Posted on Aug 28, 2011 8:20:00 PM PDT
Well, once again I believe it comes down to WHEN Nora wrote her books. Since Nora broke from Silhouette, I've noticed a real drop in her stories. I wonder if it comes down to editing? As for the paranormal, one of the best series she ever wrote was in 1992 - the Donovan Legacy. LOVED them, but haven't liked any of the paranormal ones since. I enjoyed EVERY SINGLE book and have them in a book that Nora wrote with Silhouette or the JDRobb series. Since she left, they have been so-so.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2011 6:17:33 AM PDT
O B says:
Well the book description about this novel and the other two in the series seems to be about the paranormal to a certain extent since it mentions a haunting at the inn.

I have to say other than J.D. Robb I am going to have to pass on anymore of Nora Roberts' novels until I see a stellar review. Chasing Fire and The Search were just laughably bad and the Bride Quarter though starting off as promising, by the fourth and last novel reminded me too much of The Dream Series she wrote.

Posted on Oct 17, 2011 11:33:21 AM PDT
O B says:
Mustang2000 really? Why is that last name ringing a bell with me for some other romance novelists out there?

Posted on Oct 17, 2011 12:50:09 PM PDT
Sheri Moore says:
Wow, I can't think of the name of the Author, she was really poplar in the 80's and 90's had a whole series where the Montgomery Family, was in a lot of them. . Shoot! can't remember that Author.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2011 12:55:10 PM PDT
O B says:
Just remembered think it was Jude Deveraux?

Posted on Oct 17, 2011 2:06:08 PM PDT
Sheri Moore says:
Yup, I think you're right. I think at least one of her books dealt with time travel also.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  13
Total posts:  35
Initial post:  Jun 23, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Next Always: Book One of the Inn BoonsBoro Trilogy
The Next Always: Book One of the Inn BoonsBoro Trilogy by Nora Roberts (Perfect Paperback - November 1, 2011)
4.3 out of 5 stars (1,338)