Another Useless Compilation from Rhino

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 18, 2007 2:22:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 20, 2007 11:30:23 AM PDT
Steve says:
It makes absolutely no sense to me at all why Rhino Records would release a compilation like this to celebrate the band's 40th anniversary. This new compilation has only 30 tracks. That's less than the 39 tracks that were issued on the label's 2002 two-disc Chicago compilation, "The Very Best of Chicago: Only The Beginning", which is now unfortunately out-of-print (most likely because of the need to market this new Chicago compilation). Exactly what was wrong with the 2002 compilation? Why would fans wanna shell out their money for a new compilation that has 9 fewer tracks compared to the compilation that was released just 5 years ago?!? This is yet another bad idea in a long line of lame marketing moves by Rhino Records (a label that has sadly gone way down hill since Time Warner acquired it in the late 1990s).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2007 7:03:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 19, 2007 7:20:59 AM PDT
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize until reading this post that they discountinued "Only Beginning". Kinda sad considering that was a more comprehensive collection. One plus to this set is it will that there are much less songs from the 80s but it is missing some gems from the 70s that the casual fan won't miss.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2007 3:14:16 PM PDT
Adam says:
I think the album cover is amazing! It's a classic "Chicago" album cover. Their last 4 or 5 album covers were pretty cheesy.

This one goes back to the old glory days of when the Chicago album covers were well thought out...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2007 6:27:38 PM PDT
I like the album cover too.

I also like the fact that the songs are in the order they were released as singles and the fact that the liner notes give track by track commentaries (read this on a chicagofans.org.)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2007 6:50:00 AM PDT
music man says:
You said it, bro! I'm a HUGE Chicago fan, but I agree that getting bought out meant problems, just like auto companies.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2007 9:05:37 PM PDT
Keep in mind that this is a compilation of radio edits. Also,each time a "remastered" set comes out the technology is improved so the sound quality improves.However,the bottom line is these compilations sell well. Chicago XXX is a great CD but bombed as far as sales go. I've been at several recent Chicago concerts where the new songs from Chicago XXX didn't gel with the fans but they loved the classics.

Posted on Sep 16, 2009 7:49:42 AM PDT
I could be misremembering, but last I checked, ONLY THE BEGINNING had too many songs on it that weren't really worth it...I mean, quantity doesn't necessarily equal quality...if you're one who thirsts for as much Chicago as they can get, regardless of quality-standards, you can always buy the full albums...

Posted on Nov 21, 2010 6:38:43 PM PST
This is an old discussion but it appears "Only The Beginning" is back in print. It is available everywhere again. They probably stopped printing it for awhile to give the "40th" collection a chance.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2010 6:42:53 PM PST
Steve says:
You are exactly correct, Joshua. But at the time I posted this topic in this discussion more than three years ago, who knew what Rhino's plans would be with either of the compilations. I guess it doesn't matter though, since it seems the entire CD format for music is dying out, and eventually you'll only be able to be used CDs on the market.

Posted on Nov 21, 2010 6:47:29 PM PST
Yup. Over the last 3 years my interest in Chicago had wained a lot and I have now made my own single disk length compilation. That's the great thing about the digital age, being able to compile our own greatest hits and not be at the mercy of whomever at the record company who puts this stuff together. Thanks for your quick reply.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2010 11:58:43 PM PST
Why the heck do people keep saying the CD format is dying out?? Just about every band that has a record deal, indie and major-label, puts most of their stuff out on CD, save for the occasional EP. They wouldn't do that if everyone, or most people, bought their music on iTunes or whatever.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Sep 18, 2007
Latest post:  Nov 21, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about