5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious and well written

3.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Funny in places, but a bit short on story
Published on January 29, 2011 by aa-Pam

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious and well written, November 18, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I first gave this to my 8 year old and he devoured it in one day and then I read it. My son loved it and I know why. First, this book tells a darned good story. We follow a kooky family on a trip into the past. They are trying to break a curse so that they can save their mother who was killed. The story is not at all morose, contains no foul language, and I highly recommend it. Secondly, it is so funny that I became my one of my own pet peeves - a person who insist they read out loud passages from whatever they are reading, and don't care if you are interested. I kept following my husband around reading parts of the book and then laughing like a loon. Being that we got this from the Vine program, we were unaware that is the second book in a series. I will be purchasing the first, and I would recommend you do the same. This book is great for kids as well as adults who still like to pretend they are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting and Entertaining Read for My 9 Year Old, December 10, 2010
Conspicuous Consumer (Georgia Regents University) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The first installment of this series, A Whole Nother Story, is a well received kid's tale of the genius, Ethan Cheeseman, who invented a time machine. The tale ends with them in scary old New England, 340 years ago.

In this second installment, he and his three children have just arrived in the pre-colonial countryside. Although they are coping with the death of their mother (his wife) and repeatedly find themselves in dangerous situations, the author has the family responding with humor and excitement as they move forward in time.

While adults may raise their eyebrows at the fifth grade humor (not crude), the jokes sent my grandson reeling and reading aloud to whomever was in the room. I also liked that the author infused the story with a loving altruism that made the characters both responsible and appealing.

The first installment is available on Kindle for $1.79 so I hope this edition will soon follow suit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent use of literary humor and writing style, November 22, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Once again "Dr. Cuthbert Soup" has written a humorous, well thought out piece of literature. If you have any high schoolers looking for a masculine, educationally written book with laugh out loud moments, this would be it. Another Whole Nother Story picks up where the first book left off... adventures in time travel with the hilarious Cheeseman family and their pirate friends. This book is not an easy read and the vocabulary will stretch even a well read high school freshman, but it makes up for its adornment of words through the adventure. Puns, similes, metaphors, and hidden meaning abound in these adventures. Woven by a true master of literature this book is a good reading exercise for adults as well. Sample: "There's no shortage of well-known pirates, including: Henry Morgan, Captain Kidd, Blackbeard, Bluebeard, Yellow Beard, and Yellow Beard with black roots, who surmised that if blondes have more fun, then blond pirates must have a heck of a lot more fun." Dr. Cuthbert Soup must be blond because he has written an extremely fun book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Funny in places, but a bit short on story, January 29, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
"Another Whole Nother Story" continues the saga of the Cheeseman family-- a rather goofy group of Characters, with a capital "C"... if ya know what I mean. In this book they launch themselves back in time to try to return a stolen goblet whose theft has cursed the family. Using their time machine they arrive in America in the 1660's and the usual chaos ensues as they are mistaken for witches and find themselves followed by one of the arch enemies.

THE SKINNY:::
With tons of goofy humor, this book would be a good choice for someone looking for extremely light, humorous fair. A couple of times I laughed to I cried!

I thought the book would do well as a standalone --at least for older YA and Adults -- because the story was pretty much comprised of cliches.

I found the story too shallow to enjoy, and would have given the book 4-Stars if it had been shorter. In places I thought the pacing stuttered to a painfully slow pace for this sort of book.

Suitable for Tweens on up, readers who like this funny/snarky style of writing might want to check out, "Smells Like Dog" -- another lighthearted read; one with more 'story'.

Pam T~
mom/#kidlit blogger

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written and fun, December 13, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a great book. The story is well written, it's funny, and there is nothing inappropriate within the story that parents need to worry about. Mr. Cheeseman's wife died and he, long with his children- Gerard,Maggie,Jough, and Pinky the hairless fox terrior have climbed in the time travel maching that Mr. Cheeseman built and are going back in time in the hopes of saving Mrs. Cheeseman. The time machine is called the LVR which stands for Luminal Velocity Regulator and is mostly made of used motor home parts. The story is funny and exciting, and interspersed throughout the book is advice on topics such as fighting, body piercing, and crime. These snippets of advice are hysterical. This is a must for the 8-14 age group.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun adventurous, humorous storyline that children and parents will enjoy. Recommended!, January 13, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My wife and I along with our soon-to-be 8-year-old son had finished "Another Whole Story" and first, I have to give credit to Dr. Cuthbert Soup for writing a wonderful story that will definitely attract readers with its adventures of time travel as the book follows the Cheeseman family.

As others have said, you don't need the previous books to understand what is going on but I'm going to approach this review for those who have younger children. This is one of those books that you want to read a chapter or two before your children goes to bed. In fact, it's perfect that way because at first, despite our son's high reading level, I could tell he felt lost and possibly the book was probably better read if he was a little older. But when it came to us reading it, I suppose depending how it's read and making the adventures sound quite exciting, the easier it is to make them paint a picture in their head and feel a connection to that adventure.

And for boys who tend to phase out when it comes to stories with more dialogue, fortunately "Another Whole Nother Story" tends to have a good amount of action-adventure to keep the children focused. Also, a good amount of humor as well.

Overall, this book is quite safe. None of the adventures really warranted us to stop and think if we should stop.

But other than that, from one parent to another, "Another Whole Nother Story" is an enjoyable book. The story pretty much revolves around a Mr. Cheeseman, father/inventor and his children and Pinky the fox terrier wanting to go back in time to save their deceased wife/mother Mrs. Olivia Cheeseman.

Again, a fun adventurous, humorous storyline that children and parents will enjoy. Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Whole Nother Story review, January 31, 2011
L. Jonsson (Charleston, SC United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
What a fun book! Imagine a story about time travel, coupled with a romance, some pirates, a castle, time travel, and lots of unsolicited fun advice. ( Who would have thought that Einstein's theory of relativity could be explained with elephants and electric fences!) This book's main adult character is Ethan Cheeseman, an eccentric but brilliant scientist, and his three bright children-Maggie (who chooses a different name later), Gerard, and Jough (rhymes with dough) as they search through time in an effort to save the life of their Mother Olivia, and to break the curse of the White Gold Chalice.

This book is the second book in a series that started with A Whole Nother Story, but you do not need to read the first book in order to enjoy the second. What a read-it really amused my kids, age 9 and 7. The eronneous information at the end, start, and sometimes in the middle of each chapter ("Advice for the lovelorn, Advice on resisting pierce pressure, Advice to the public on privateers " etc.) was funny and relevant to the story. I also found myself reading passages out aloud to my Husband after I described where we were in the story, which I never do. My Husband is not known for enjoying childrens literature, so I was impressed when he enjoyed the readings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendously Clever---Great Book to Share with Your Child!!!, January 6, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I could not put this book down, and I could not stop laughing aloud. What a treat to find a tale that is so well-crafted. I can't wait to read it aloud to my 7-year-old. (Yes, she could read it on her own, but this is so great, we'll enjoy it together.)

There's time travel, a little romance, a band of cursed pirates, a castle, and a sock puppet named Rat-Face Roy (and eventually, Gravy-Face Roy). The main characters are a family who are time traveling to save their mother. (The story picks up where A Whole Nother Story ends, but it also stands alone well.) Meanwhile, the cursed pirates (whom they've befriended) are trying to return a stolen chalice. Along the way, they are all pursued by an evil villain, and mayhem ensues. There are plenty of memorable characters, such as the crazy woman who sells boats, and the pace is fast and furious.

At the same time, the characters are well developed enough to be very likeable. They have not been sacrificed for the sake of the story, and readers will cheer for them along the way. The word play is simply splendid, and the passages of advice that the narrator interjects are just fantastic. Children of all ages will really fall for this book---and so will any grown-up smart enough to read it with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Witty Author!, February 8, 2011
C. Maynard (Saline, MI United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
"Another Whole Nother Story" is the second book in a series of the adventures of the Ethan Cheeseman family. The first book was really great, so I had no doubt this one would follow suit. This author is so funny, I was laughing aloud throughout the book (don't read it in a library).

The story includes time-travel, mystery and humor. Even those who struggle with "liking" to read will love this book. The family will endear you, the bad-guys are ridiculous and the endeavor is noble. This series proves to be a great addition to our shelves.

The story even includes a hairless dog...

5.0 out of 5 stars My son's favorite, December 15, 2010
Gift Recipient "Nicole B." (Northeastern United States) - See all my reviews
My son absolutely LOVED the first of Dr. Soup's books (A Whole Nother Story) and deemed it his favorite book. I thought there would be a possibility he would be let down by the second one since the first was such a tough act to follow. He finished Another Whole Nother Story last weekend and declared that it was even better than the first. He would say to me, "Pick a genre, any genre." And no matter what I chose, he said "It's in there." So, evidently this book has it all and I highly recommend it.

Another Whole Nother Story (A Whole Nother Story)
Another Whole Nother Story (A Whole Nother Story) by Cuthbert Soup (Paperback - February 14, 2012)
$7.99 $7.54