Customer Discussions > Full Metal Jacket [HD DVD] forum

Another same full screen release again?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 3, 2007 8:32:54 AM PDT
Arthur says:
What's the point of re-releasing the same product with the same aspect ratio?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2007 5:09:27 PM PDT
Alex105 says:
BECAUSE THAT'S HOW IT WAS FILMED DO YOUR RESEARCH! The top and bottom was cropped for theaters. You're actually getting the full picture with the full screen versions.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2007 8:40:46 PM PST
Heybub1 says:
I know I'm late to this party but the film was actually filmed in widescreen but Kubrick mandated it be shown on home video/laser disc/dvd in full screen. The box set that was released 10/23/07 is the first time a home viewer can see it in the original wide-screen format.
Do your research.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2007 10:25:30 AM PST
Razr Maxx says:
No, the film was filmed in "open-matte" format, and Kubrick prefers the 4:3 format. But he's dead now, and WB has saw fit to release the film in 16:9 format on HD discs separately and on standard DVD within the Kubrick Collection.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2007 2:29:06 AM PST
MediaMogul says:
Apparently when Kubrick viewed films on a standard 4:3 TV, he disliked the fact that "black bars" were visible and mandated that home video releases of his movies be released in the 4:3 Academy standard to eliminate them. This was before 16x9 TVs existed, and as such the new DVDs have been reformatted to the original theatrical ratios to better suit more modern display equipment. It seems that Kubrick preferred height to width, but if he were still alive today I don't feel he would object to the 16x9 framing, as it was the way the films were seen theatrically. If you consider that, one could argue that either option is more "correct". I would say just purchase whichever version fits your display and be happy with it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Jun 3, 2007
Latest post:  Dec 6, 2007

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Full Metal Jacket [VHS]
Full Metal Jacket [VHS] by Matthew Modine (VHS Tape - 1997)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (1,144)