5.0 out of 5 stars Ansmann Energy 5207442/US
Published on August 8, 2011 by WinCrazy

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete Garbage
I ordered this product and the bottom completely melted upon first use. I used 4 Tenergy AA batteries on first charge attempt. I contacted the seller who referred me to the manufacturer. I called the New Jersey number (the US office) and spoke with a woman who took my information and gave me their tracking information to send it in for a replacement.

2 weeks...
Published on January 3, 2012 by Aaron

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete Garbage, January 3, 2012
This review is from: Ansmann 5207442/US Energy 8 Plus Battery Maintenance Universal Desktop Charger (Electronics)

2 weeks and nothing. No email correspondence, nothing. I called them to inquire, and they informed me that they hadn't received it and will have to "look for it". The tracking information on Fed Ex website stated they received it 2 DAYS after I sent it. She said she'd call me back. Didn't hear back for 2 days. Emailed them. Email ignored. Had alot going on, forgot about the charger. Remembered 2 weeks later. Emailed them. Email ignored. Called them. She said she couldn't find it and that she'd "make an exception for me" and ship it out that day.

2 weeks later. Nothing. Emailed, no response. Called them. Left message. Didn't get back to me. A few days later, called them again. Threatened to write the German headquarters and tell them about my experience with their US office, including my fed ex tracking number to prove that they received. Dead silence on the other end, and then "You'll have your shipping tracking number by the end of the day".

Another week passes, I received my new unit. Put in 2 AA Tenergy NiCH batteries. The lights appear red to indicate charging. 2 hours later: red red red. Never turns green and the machine smells like it's about to melt again. Months of inconvience and an utter waste of money.

Ansmann corp: I think it's time you wrap things up. Judging by my experience and others, you seem to produce inferior quality products and employ incompetent workers.

Sorry for the harsh words, but I truly feel like I was taken for a ride here. You can make this right by reaching out to me for a full refund. I'll do you a favor and toss your unit in the garbage where it belongs.

Ansmann Energy 5207442/US 8 Plus Battery Charger and Maintenance Device

5.0 out of 5 stars Ansmann Energy 5207442/US, August 8, 2011
WinCrazy (near Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
JB - You shouldn't have thrown away all those supposedly "bad" batteries just yet. This charger, and most others, are too stupid to identify the batteries (50% +) that can be "rescued". Just because this charger doesn't have the ability to make those batteries "come back from the dead", much less tell them apart from truly dead ones, doesn't mean those batteries are necessarily permanently "bad".

Many dead batteries can use a short (NOTE: LESS THAN ONE [1, single, lone, only] SECOND) "bump charge" to bring up their standing voltage, meaning, "a charge that can be held", to a level that even this charger sees as a "good enough" battery worth charging. Any charger can then charge it normally.

BUMP CHARGE PROCEDURE
Take a known-good, fully charged battery WITH THE SAME VOLTAGE RATING and then, FOR 1 SECOND, ONLY, short the 2 batteries together, plus end to plus end, minus end to minus at the same time. DISCONNECT AFTER 1 SECOND. Retest the "bad" battery again. Repeat this process up to five times or until the "bad" battery can start charging normally. This procedure is not hazardous to the good battery if the bump charge duration is limited.

If, after, say, 5 bump charges it still reads "bad" then it probably is bad=dead and dispose of it. Don't forget to recharge your known-good battery !

- WinCrazy

4.0 out of 5 stars Super Recharger!, September 13, 2010
T (Honolulu, HI) - See all my reviews
This is a very good charger for re-chargeable batteries. There's no LCD readout for capacity and all the other fancy stuff that others might have. The LED light read out for the different status modes while charging helps.

I had a bunch of Duracell batteries that didn't hold their charges for a long time but this charger managed to salvage a few of them by reconditioning them. I've heard many good things about the eneloop batteries from Sanyo so I'll be switching to those.

I'm happy with my Ansmann charger, it does it's job safely as allowable for the batteries.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good overall and simple recharger, February 26, 2011
The Anssman is an easy to use charger when compared with similar offers from Maha and La Crosse, but doesn't offer much control.

It has nice features like the ability to renew batteries, detect faulty ones and such. Altough it seems to fail to charge nearly completly depleted batteries.

If you're after an easy to use charger with solid quality and features, this one is for you. But if you like to see more info about the batteries and more control over charging settings, take a look at Maha and La Crosse offerings.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked for a year - we'll see how good the warranty is, January 2, 2012
B. Humphrey (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this one due to it's ability to charge 9v, D and C cells. The most important part of this review is that it did do all those things fine, for about a year. Any battery I put in now including recent purchases result in an eventual error light. The charger has limited information on it so it's unclear why the error display shows (is the battery bad ? the charger ? etc.)

Although this model is cheaper than the Maha 808, I'd recommend that model and plan to use it in the future instead. The savings in this case don't make up for the short lifetime.

1.0 out of 5 stars Died after 3 weeks, February 17, 2011
Worked great for about 3 weeks, then I bought a 4-pack of AA Energizer NiMH rechargeable batteries. Looks to me like the charger overheated while charging these batteries (even though it purports to have circuitry to prevent this from happening). Never had any problem using the Eneloop batteries. I sent it back to Amazon for replacement. We'll see how the 2nd one works.....

4.0 out of 5 stars Heats up, September 14, 2010
First E8+ charger was damaged, almost melted. Replacement was worth the wait. Now I am happy with my purchase, money well spent.

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely Unreliable, July 24, 2012
This is my second Ansmann Engery 8+ charger. Surprisingly I did get a fairly quick response upon emailing them from their company page. I will say that in general I am not disappointed in their customer service. However, I received a replacement charger yesterday. I must be super unlucky. Initially straight out of the packaging the charger would not work, no lights at all. Then I wiggled and wiggled the connection from the power cord to the charger itself and it finally lit up. So I put some batteries in it, switched them out added some more (AA,AAA, & 9v - 5 different brands) and I thought problem solved and chalked it up to being new and never plugged in before. But today it's the same issue. I took the batteries that had been charging (green lights on) out of the charger and put in more. Again I got no lights and I never even so much as moved the charger itself. I tried wiggling the connection again but to no avail. Now I get no lights at all no matter what I try. I am a media director that relies heavily on re-chargeable batteries of all kinds - I read reviews of "working great after many years" and the fact that it refreshed/charged many at once made it seem like exactly what I needed so I selected this product. If I hadn't been out of country and had used my initial charger more I suspect I would have found it faulty much sooner. For the price and unreliability I have to say I have officially moved into the category of frustrated dissatisfied customer. I don't like giving bad reviews but at this point I would never purchase another ansmann product nor would I advise anyone else to do so.

1.0 out of 5 stars infant mortality, February 20, 2012
unit worked beautifully for about a half dozen batteries charged. then it didn't. completely and inexplicably died. product has a German brand name and German/English instructions. BUT it is made in China. perhaps the design is good, but the quality is random. my son has used one for years without a problem. amazon's response was that the unit had been purchased more than 3 months before failure and was not under any warranty. have received no response from manufacturer.

because the functionality is nearly ideal i am contemplating purchasing another (the first was a gift), and hope for better luck next time. i don't seem to be able to discover anything more reliable. i'll just use up the existing supply of duracells and then see if there's anything better available.

1.0 out of 5 stars I suggest you look elsewhere, June 9, 2011
After using this item infrequently it went from working well to

1: making an electrical humm
2. extreme heat on top right hand side (too hot to touch)
3. smell of burning plastic