Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on June 2, 2010
Got this to replace the failing amplifier on our old Terk indoor antenna, and it does indeed bring our OTA (over the air) TV signal back to the same level as when the Term amp worked well, there would be more gain on an outside antenna. The adjustable gain does increase or decrease the signal by 7 to 10 db but only on our clearest signals. On the plus side, the unit seems to be fairly sturdy and well made, comes with pretty good instructions, and was easy to install, and gives a decided boost to the digital signal. Our digital decoder box signal meter runs from 0 to 100, with a signal in the low 30's necessary for decent viewing. This amp boosts some stations reading in the mid 20's into the low 30's, but I expect to see better performance in the winter when the leaves are gone. It won't work miracles, but if you need a modest boost in signal strength it's worth the modest price.
(Warning: RANT: This digital signal stuff stinks. With analog, we were able to get decent to great signals from towers in three different directions at distances of 20 to 60 miles with the Terk. Analog signals were affected by weather and time of day but not nearly to the extent of these digital signals. Now, we can count on losing signal when the trees leaf out, blackbirds flock, rain, sun, mist, clouds, no clouds , traffic jams on the Blue Ridge parkway and for all I know someone on the fourth floor of a building moving their ficus tree onto the balcony in the path of the digital signal. End rant. Excuse me.)
44 comments|38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 25, 2013
I use an antenna preamp because I split my antenna's signal for multiple TVs. I had been using a Channel Master 7777 and when it failed, I was dismayed to learn that the new version wasn't as good, so I replaced it with this instead.

I'm impressed by the packaging. They included everything you need to add a preamp to your outdoor TV antenna: an outdoor coax cable (with weather boots) for the preamp itself, another coax cable (w/o weather boots) for the power injector; they even included a balun in case your antenna didn't have one! Many other products provide only weather boots and leave it to you to assemble your own weather-proof cables.

This particular model has very high gain (~30 dB), which might be too much for areas where some TV signals are strong and some are weak. Luckily, they thought of that: on the power injector there's a variable attenuator to reduce the gain by as much as 10 dB. If you have a mix of strong and weak signals, turn this down to keep your TV receivers from being overloaded with too much signal.

There's also a switchable FM trap on the power injector to filter out strong FM radio signals, which could otherwise cause overload as well.

It's only weaknesses are: it doesn't have separate VHF/UHF inputs (but Antennacraft makes other models with this feature if that's something you need), and its noise figure, 2.6 dB, isn't quite as good as the old CM 7777 (but about as good as I've seen among TV antenna preamps available today).
on January 5, 2012
I live between Richmond, VA and Washington DC and I was getting very poor reception with two previous major named brand amplifiers so I started to research what would be a better amplifier so I could start receiving a better picture that would not be fuzzy or fade out or always showing a a weak HD signal. After reading all the reviews on Amazon and different sites concerning the performance of the different amplifiers I decided to go with the AntennaCraft 30dB High Gain TV/FM Mast-Mounted Amplifier 10G212 from amazon.com. I could not be more pleased, the reception is perfect. The amplifier was to two to three times less expensive the more expensive brands.
on February 4, 2012
I was having trouble bringing in a few stations around 42 miles from my home using an indoor amplifier. This product did exactly what it advertised and I now can pick up several more digital channels.
on February 9, 2013
I live just over 50 miles east of the broadcast antenna on Mt. Wilson north of Los Angeles and am using an aerial antenna to receive digital TV. I was experiencing some weaker sub-threshold signals and tried the AntennaCraft 10G212, which claims to be a 30 dB signal amplifier, as an upgrade from the 10-dB Radio Shack signal amplifier. However, both gave similar performance. For example, with the Radio Shack amplifier, CBS (channel 2-1) came in at 40% signal strength, and with the 10G212 (turned up to maximum gain) the signal strength was still 40%. Without any amplifier, the station did not come in at all. Hence, both units produced a similar result even though the AntennaCraft model says it can amplify the signal "up to 30 dB" while the Radio Shack model says it can do so up to 10 dB. The signal strength of other channels (e.g. NBC, 4-1; ABC, 7-1; FOX, 11-1) was also similar between the 10G212 and the Radio Shack model. In the end, it turns out that my antenna is highly directional, and that turning it about 10 degrees caused all channels to be improved substantially. I left the Radio Shack model in place as the part that goes near the antenna is much smaller and does not need mounting to the mast. Even its indoor amplifier is very small and does not need to be mounted on a wall. I will keep the 10G212 anyways as a possible replacement should the Radio Shack model fail.

Short review: The Radio Shack In-Line Signal Amplifier (15-1170) performed indistinguishably from the AntennaCraft 10G212 and was a simpler installation.
on September 9, 2011
We worked on our antenna for two weeks and wasn't able to get many channels at all. We purchased other items and had to return them because they didn't help. As soon as we hooked this up, we were able to get all the channels we desired. Great quality for a great price!!!!
on December 31, 2012
I ordered this to replace a 10dB amp that quit working after several years of use. I didn't notice any better reception turning it up to the 30bB max on the weak channels and actually lost a VHF channel that I was getting clearly before I installed this unit. I went ahead and ordered the same 10dB amp (Emerson Av3241) which cost half as much as this one and I already know does a better job.
on January 2, 2012
I live out in the mountains of western MD. 50 plus miles from TV stations. this amp is able to boost signals to a level I can watch HDTV from my roof antenna. I still have to rotate direction antenna for best reception, but without amp I get very little watchable signal. I mounted amp inside house wall for easy access. Instructions are to mount on mast for best performance. I tried both ways and didn't see a significant difference so I went with easy access. I ran a 20ft. coax down to the amp and have it mounted on the wall next to an outlet for the power supply.
on January 28, 2014
Without this amplifier signals from 2 of the major network channels were too week for my tuner to use. With the amplifier my tuner will display all of the networks, and some I receive twice, once from the nearest broadcast location and a second time from a broadcast location nearly 100 miles away.

I use the AntennaCraft 30db amplifier with a ClearStream(tm) 2V UHF/VHF Long Range Indoor/Outdoor DTV Antenna, it is mounted as high on the outside of my house as I can put it without going up on a mast. It is precisely aimed on azimuth to the TV towers. I am less than 20 miles from the local broadcast location, but I have a significant terrain feature blocking my reception.

Just to help some people understand- an amplifier can't make something out of nothing. If you are so far from your broadcast location or you have significant terrain feature blocking your signal, no amplifier in the world will help, at least not by itself. Mounting your antenna outside, as high as you can, and aiming as precisely towards your broadcast tower location is all at least as important as having an amplifier- probably more so . Amplifiers don't "pull in" signal. They take any amount of signal they receive, and they amplify it. Hopefully your broadcast location has enough signal that the amplifier can boost the signal and the tuner in your TV can work with it. The good side to digital broadcast is as long as your signal strength is above a certain threshold your TV will give you a good picture.

If you aren't sure- use a site like antennasdirect and look for the transmitter-locator link. Type in your zip code and it will show you where your broadcast tower locations are and give you an idea of what kind of signal you can expect to get. Get a cheap compass, then get the direction to you tower from the website. Go outside and point your compass and see if you have anything big, like a mountain, or a city, in that general direction. If you do, don't expect miracles, but I would still say give it a try.
on July 26, 2012
Live approx 20 miles northwest of Washington DC and get inconsistent reception with my attic antenna. Installed the weather proof portion of the device onto the mast and the amplifier near my HDTV ( 90 foot run ) and now have over 12 channels. I like this design which places the plug in power part near the TV, rather than in the hot attic. The variable gain feature is nice, but I have mine set to the max of 30. The price was half that of Channel Master, the seller was prompt in shipping, and overall I am very pleased.