Antennas Direct C2 ClearStream Television Antenna
Price:$76.50 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on May 29, 2012
Verified Purchase
I live in an apartment building that dons't allow outside antennas. I had been using the ClearStream Micron Indoor Long-Range Digital TV Antenna. However a few stations would drop out in the evening. I was a few minutes away from ordering cable again, when I decided to give this antenna a try. The first scan brought up all of the local stations including the ones that would drop out. This was before I did any aiming.

I don't like the look of the antenna so I ended up installing it in my bedroom closet. Even with the door closed it works great.

I could not be happier.
on August 9, 2010
I created a coat hanger hdtv antenna as demonstrated on youtube. It was pretty cheap and it worked reasonably well. Although there would be times when I'd get random signal loss.

I purchased this antenna hoping that I'd get better performance than my handcrafted coat hanger. And I would say that I got better performance, in that for the stations that I do receive, I get them much more consistently with this antenna than w/my coat hanger antenna. With the coat hanger, I would get periodic digitization on the screen. With this one, on those same channels, it's consistently clear. I never get the digitization at all.

But there are a few stations that the coat hanger will pick up that the clearstream2 does not. They are all stations in the next market over that are repeats of my local market stations. So I don't really lose anything. But I was a little disappointed that I lost those stations.

Overall, I like the antenna for it's improved consistent signal. But it performed less than I had expected.
review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 22, 2009
Verified Purchase
I purchased the CLEARSTREAM2 Antenna from Amazon.com to replace my Philips PHDTV3 Indoor Amplified UHF/VHF/FM/HDTV Antenna. The Philips PHDTV3 picked up several channels but did not hold signals well and constantly required repositioning when used as instructed indoors.

At the time of purchase, I found that the CLEARSTREAM2 Antenna was signifantly cheaper here on Amazon than at Best Buy. I had a difficult time choosing between the various models, so I called the company and spoke with their customer support staff, who were very helpful and suggested this one for my particular location.

The CLEARSTREAM2 Antenna is surprisingly small and easy to put together. I have mine pointed towards DC from a 3rd-floor balcony. It generally holds the signal well (far better than my previous indoor antenna) and picks up about 29 digital channels, even with a splitter to use the antenna for 2 TVs -- which lowers signal strength.

Overall, I am very happy with my purchase. If you're in Northern Virginia and want to get Baltimore stations in addition to DC stations, you could go with a stronger model (such as the DB4), but those would generally be larger antennas and some ghosting may occur if the signals are too strong.

I would give the CLEARSTREAM2 Antenna 5 stars if it had a built-in amplifier, which can increase signal strength if/when necessary. For now, I will give it 4.
on January 3, 2012
Bought the antenna from Best Buy for $105, though I probably should have used Amazon since it offers a better price on the thing. I've owned the antenna for about a week and it works great. I bought a HD-Tuner PCI card recently which allows me to plug a coax cable straight into my computer so i can watch live television using Windows Media Center. With that said, I'm able to stream the TV signal from my computer to my 46 inch Samsung TV using the Windows Media Center feature on my XBOX 360. It's a pretty nifty setup, though most people can get by just plugging the coax cable straight into their living room television.

Pros: HD and Analog Signals are Strong. Antenna doesn't come with an amplification box, you simply hook the coax from the antenna straight into your television. I'm able to pickup all the local channels in El Paso. Antenna looks modern.

Cons: Doesn't come with a Coax Cable. Also, the mount is designed more for outdoor use in mind. They should have included a separate indoor stand for those that don't want to mount it outside their homes.
review image review image
on August 5, 2008
This antenna seems very small and flimsy but it sure works great. I live 45+ miles from the transmission sites but get all signals in HD. Haven't tried it on an analog TV yet and probably won't as there is only a couple months left of them but the digital reception is great. One screw assembles it, mount it to a mast of some sort (I used the old satellite mount arm I had) and point it in the general direction of the towers. LOVE IT!
on August 28, 2008
Verified Purchase
I had to call the manufacturer to see if a vendor that I bought a DB8 from was real, since they hadn't shipped and it was way past due on delivery. Needless to say Amazon gave me a refund. While I spoke with a great lady in customer service at Antennas Direct I asked what should I use and she told me that they just released the C Series antennas that day. So I looked on Amazon and found a great deal. The vendor that I bought from shipped before I realized that I had purchased. Nice job. The antenna was very easy to assemble except for the clearance for the coax connection on the back of the "bow tie". Once installed I did not get the performance that I was told I would nor expected. It could be that I have a grove of trees to shoot through and I guess I have added issues because I have an in-house distribution system to 12 TV's with 4 internal channels and I think these antennas are basically thought of for one TV. That makes gain very important when matching to a distribution amplifier. So I called Antennas Direct and spoke with the same CSR and in the middle of our conversation the President of the company cut in. We talked tech for a bit and then he said he would send me a C4 (two C2's side by side) to try . . . that is now up and working very well. It looks very superior, is low profile and is doing well with Low & Hi VHF and naturally UHF. It's range is 7 (Hi VHF) up. That is what we need here in Denver since our ABC and NBC affiliates will be allowed by the FCC to go back to 7 and 9 below the channel 14 cutoff after the conversion.

I reinstall the C4 in a different way every week to see where I can get the best reception, since HD is all or nothing. So far I have only tried three variations, but the first of just slapping it up with no precision or proper aiming was the best. So as of this moment, this antenna is covering all, including low band VHF, of our off-air needs, some channels a little grainy, but they will be gone soon. All the channels that we need or will need are coming in clean and clear (some UHF channels better than they ever have) and better when the conversion happens and all stations start broadcasting at full power or complete antenna relocation. The Antennas Direct C (Clearstream) Series is new and good technology. Get a C2 or C4! It'll do the job for you.
review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 8, 2013
I have had this antenna for awhile, purchased two years ago at Costco. Been very happy with it, only minor issue was with VHF/NBC and ABC. I just bought a basic Mohu and it is not even close (will review that separately). At best the Mohu gets 23 channels, this Clearstream 2 gets 46 channels minimum. The only advantage the Mohu had was with VHF/NBC. I have since learned this Clearstream 2 antenna was designed for only UHF, I do get Fox and ABC on VHF but not NBC ( I can get NBC but lose all the others). Further research shows this model has now been updated with a horizontal bar for VHF (Clearstream 2V). The VHF bar is also sold as an accessory from Antennas Direct Website...

Anyway this older model still blows away the Mohu, The Mohu was slightly better than the cheapie $14 RCA antenna I started with. Oh I guess the smaller or lighter size of the Mohu could be an advantage as well but remember this Clearstream 2 model is made for outdoor use as well so I think that evens out things there.

Some observations for beginners, weather, placement and time of day all can make a huge difference with these antennas, you can scan channels with antenna in same place and get different channels each time you scan, you can move antennas two inches and see a huge difference...that is the one drawback the "all or nothing" aspect of digital reception, it is much harder to dial in weaker channels, they will appear one minute and disappear the next...reception is fleeting and mercurial on weaker stations.

All of the digital antennas I tried were subject to placement and weather conditions etc. Most importantly they all give you a much better picture and sound quality than cable or Uverse, that is no contest..these give you the pure HD signal not a compressed one. It has been so long since I had Directv I can not compare results there.

One other note I should mention, I am using this antenna indoors, it is built for outdoors and I imagine it will work even better outside, maybe one day I will feel lucky and mess around with it placed outdoors

To sum up again for me in Northern suburbs of Atlanta this antenna gets 46 channels vs Mohu getting 23 channels

If I spring for the new VHF accessory I will update review.
on March 13, 2011
Verified Purchase
Before I review this antenna I would like to point out that this package DOES NOT COME WITH MOUNTING HARDWARE!!! I found that out the hard way and am now waiting for the mounting hardware (75 Cm J-mount/mast) to be delivered separately. If you need the mounting hardware as well, then you can purchase it separately or purchase the antenna and hardware all in a single package (Antennas Direct Clearstream 2tm Long Range HDTV Antenna with Mount). While I wait for my mounting hardware I have this mounted in my backyard on a 6 foot ladder and the stream is still incredibly clear, even though there are houses and trees that should be blocking the signal.

Start by going to the antennaweb and/or antennapoint web sites to see if you are even in range of the towers. The Clearstream2 antenna is supposed to have about a 50 mile range, and I am around 7-8 miles from all of the towers in Austin, TX. If you are within 5 miles they say your signal may even be too strong and you have to purchase an additional item to correct for that. Not sure how legit that is, but my distance seems to be perfect.

Installation is a breeze and there is even a video tutorial on the antenna direct web site. The antenna has a single female coax connector on it for output, but this kit didn't include a cable so be sure you have an additional one. I run the coax cable to a 2-way splitter and each outgoing cable is attached to a TV in my house. It is also possible to run the coax cable into the cable box on the side of your house, assuming that you do not use cable for any other TV or internet. The boxes typically have an amplifier and a splitter that sends a bunch of cables into your attic and down to the jacks throughout your house. So if you don't have any incoming TV or internet via a cable provider then you can disconnect the input cable in your box and plug this antenna directly in that way. It was easier for me to install a splitter under my awning and run the cables along the outside of my house...your mileage may vary.

Once the antenna is hooked up to your TV(s) just change the input on the TV(s) to antenna and scan for channels. I am getting AT LEAST 85% signal strength for every channel, and most of them are 95-100%. I haven't tweaked the antenna at all after mounting it -- I just pointed it in what seemed to be the general direction that antennaweb and antennapoint suggested. Again, I'm getting this type of performance without even having the antenna mounted on the roof yet! After scanning and finding all of the channels (something like 15 digital and 3 analog in my case), I went through and manually configured my TVs to ignore all of the channels I didn't want. I currently get Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS, The CW, 3 different PBS channels, and a weather/traffic channel.

All of the channels look great -- just as good if not better than they did when I had Time Warner cable or AT&T U-verse. The cable/satellite companies sometimes compress feeds but the over-the-air HD broadcasts are all uncompressed so in theory they should actually be as good or better quality. One note: I have long complained about CBS having motion blur when watching sports. In my opinion it was particularly noticeable when I had TW cable, and less noticeable with U-verse. Unfortunately I still noticed it today while watching basketball. It must be the cameras that CBS uses or the way they stream their feed because it still happens even with this antenna. Basketball on ABC looked incredible, as usual.

I have no long term experience with this antenna but purchased this model because my neighbor has the exact same one. He has had it for over a year, mounted on his roof, and it's still working great. When I asked about how well it works in bad weather he said that he has never once had a problem, regardless of how stormy/rainy it was outside. After a few days of use in my own house I can only say that I have had absolutely zero problems so far.

If you're like me and don't watch much TV, or you don't watch many cable channels then I highly recommend this antenna. I do miss some of the DVR features such as pausing TV, scheduling recordings, and having an on-screen guide, so in the future I may look at building an HTPC system (running MythTV) and hooking this up for those features.
on August 18, 2010
Verified Purchase
This antenna is working perfectly for our situation. We live in Santa Fe, 41 miles uphill from the broadcast towers in Albuquerque (this antenna has a 50 mile range). I chose this antenna based on reviews and am not disappointed. Like another reviewer, we first attached it inside the house and just pointed it out the window and after scanning we received all available channels with amazing clarity. The small size of the antenna is a huge plus - very easy for one person to carry up a ladder and install. We have the antenna cable split to two TVs and there is no visible degradation of signal. We purchased 50' of quad-shielded cable and there's another 50' to one of the TVs. The antenna manufacturer advises against a longer run than 75 feet but we are having no problems. We used the J-mount to attach to the brick parapet of our flat roof. Be sure to go to [...] to determine what antenna will work for you. They provide the compass direction for best reception. We aligned the antenna to the compass point recommended and did not have to make any adjustment. We searched every How To article regarding antenna installation and made a complete list of all supplies needed. Total installation took less than 6 hours-running and attaching the cable and grounding wires took the most time. We spent less than $142.00 TOTAL for antenna, mount and all supplies and now have much better HD reception than we did with cable. We were paying about $100 per month for cable TV service. True, now we only get network programming but we realized that is what we watch the most. Almost everything else can be watched for free on [...] and there's unlimited entertainment for $8.99 per month on Netflix Instant Play.

May 2013 update: still working perfectly. I guess my husband did a good job installing because we have never had to readjust the positioning.
on December 26, 2009
Verified Purchase
Wow! And a deck ornament to boot.

Was looking for an antenna for use in Annapolis, MD - about 23 miles from Baltimore, MD and 33 miles from Washington, DC antennas. Annapolis has no TV stations. Everybody has cable. Came across the long-range Clearstream 2 Antenna reviews. Looked like it would fit. This is now well after the DTV switch so no VHF/UHF comparisons needed - it's all DTV - High/Low- whatever.

Used [...] to find the recommended antenna specifications, and the Clearstream 2 got me into the ballpark. Strangely, the only hesitation on buying the antenna was it looked like a toy. I got over that. The web site also gave the compass directions to point the antenna. The difference between Washington, and Baltimore antennas is about 50 degrees. So a fairly wide angle.

It's a two story house and sits on a low hill in Annapolis. Even as a DIYourselfer, I wasn't going to go on the roof if there was an alternative. I first tried the antenna indoors (wishful thinking).
I used a hand compass, and pointed the antenna in the recommended direction - first DC then Baltimore. No luck indoors. Next easiest location was the back patio rail. Sat the antenna on the rail. Pointed the antenna dead between the two compass directions and Zowie! (or whatever you want to call it.) Got BOTH Washington and Baltimore. Totaled 40 stations - from channels 2 to 66. Of course most were duplicate network stations, but what a choice! And the farthest station antenna is about 40+ miles. The antenna is now locked onto the deck rail. Looks part sculpture, part toy - a decorative part of the rail. Add to that it's very small size. If you didn't see a coax cable leading into it, you'd never know it was an antenna. And yes - the assembly directions are lousy! And yes - you should attach the coax cable before assembling it. Pretty easy assembly actually. Guess I would say it's a winner.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations