5.0 out of 5 stars Great Antenna!
Published on October 9, 2008 by JWalter

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for its compact size, but product claims are deceiving
Published on March 20, 2009 by C. Cross

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Antenna!, October 9, 2008
This review is from: Antennas Direct ClearStream4 HDTV Antenna (Electronics)
Absolutely the best antenna for DTV reception on the market! I upgraded from a DB4 in hopes of getting reception out of market and it easily locked in all the local stations at a distance of 40 miles, But I was blown away at how well it captured many stations from a town over 100 miles away. I live on a hill so that obviously helps and your mileage may vary, but I never had as much consistent long range reception with any other antenna. Another plus, it's no larger than a DB4.

One tip: The position of the binding posts used to attach the buss bars do not leave much room to tighten the wing nuts, so connect both sets of tapered loops with the buss bars, first, before assembling the rest of the antenna. That should make things easier.

FWIW, the negative review below is obviously a troll and should be disregarded; he has posted the exact same comments about the DB2 and the DB4. Hmmmm..

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge upgrade from the Antennas Direct DB4, August 27, 2008
This review is from: Antennas Direct ClearStream4 HDTV Antenna (Electronics)
I've been using a DB4 antenna for about a year and a half, and it was OK. It was connected to a 4-port amp, which outputs to a pair of HDHomeRuns. Out of the ~15 HD stations in my area, I could get a good signal on ~4 of them at a time (depending on how the antenna was pointed), marginal on 3-4, and the rest were totally unusable. I finally got tired of this, and was about to purchase a DB8, when I noticed this little beauty. I figured I couldn't go too far wrong, and ordered it. After 5 minutes for assembly and 5 minutes to mount it in the attic (just guessed which direction to point it -- the wide beam on this antenna is wonderful), 13 of the 15 stations get near-perfect reception (>90% signal, >90% SNR); the other two are good (>70% on both). WOW - what an improvement, especially for an antenna that is only slightly larger than the DB4!

Highly recommend this over the previous generations of Antenna Direct antennas. And with Amazon's Prime shipping, you can't go wrong on this!

5.0 out of 5 stars It Works For Me, November 2, 2008
David Rand (Washburn, Maine) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Antennas Direct ClearStream4 HDTV Antenna (Electronics)
I have an antenna in the attic which has pulled in analog signals for us just fine over the years. Got one of those digital to analog boxes so I would be able to continue getting off-air after February '09. Even though the box was attached to the same old antenna I was surprised that I could receive no digital stations.

Looking at the reviews I decided to get the Clearstream 4. I placed it in the attic, although the material recommended not to. It pulled in the 4 local digital stations but two of them were badly pixilated. I moved it up to the roof and am now receiving good signals. We live 25 miles from the TV towers, in a low valley with large trees between us and the towers. This antenna works! I also appreciate that it is light and thus was easy to move around to the different placements. If you are in a difficult location, be sure to point it at least roughly in the direction of the digital tower(s).

4.0 out of 5 stars Great UHF, not a VHF antenna, January 25, 2011
This review is from: Antennas Direct ClearStream4 HDTV Antenna (Electronics)
Installed this antenna in the attic (cement siding & pine shake roof) where the compact size and light weight make it easy (not cumbersome) to position and point. Pointing it properly made a really big difference in signal strength. My first attempt was pathetic, but with some adjustment (and moving it away from the metal furnace flue) I picked up all the HD channels from the tower 25 miles away with a signal strength between 50-100. It picked up all the channels off the UHF tower 25 miles to the north when pointing the antenna north, and even picked up the channels off the UHF tower 5 miles away which were about 120 degrees to the left.

While it has *great* UHF performance, I didn't realize this is *not* a VHF antenna, so it didn't pick up any VHF channels. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that a couple of our desired stations were VHF. So I purchased a Winegard HD7694P which includes both UHF and VHF. The Winegard's performance is on par with the ClearStream 4 for UHF, and has pretty good VHF performance too (it picked up our PBS & Fox channels in Seattle nicely). Downside of the HD7694P is that it's *much* larger/bigger/longer than the Clearstream 4 and somewhat ungainly to install/adjust/point inside an attic space as it's length, weight, and long metal rods tend to run into the attic 2x4's.

We got a free Tivo Premiere and are cancelling our DirectTV ($65/month) satellite service, because now we get lots of HD channels for free.

Moral of the story: Do your channel/signal homework. Check the whether your channels are UHF or VHF on antennapoint.com or antennaweb.org.

Final tip: When pointing your antenna, point it once, check the signal strength, and then adjust its orientation to improve the weakest channel you really want. The higher power/better signal channels will probably still be good and you'll get that weaker channel's signal you want up into the "green".

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Antenna, September 18, 2008
This review is from: Antennas Direct ClearStream4 HDTV Antenna (Electronics)
I am no expert on antennas but I read quite a few reviews before I purchased this and I'm very happy with it. The stations I was hoping to receive were right around the 60 mile range with one about 70 miles. I am able to pick up all of the stations I was hoping for using just this antenna. I mounted it outside on the edge of my house and ran 50' of coax to my digital tv with no amplification. I have it pointed at the channels in the 60 mile range but am still somewhat able to pickup channels in another direction that are about 40 miles out. So it is still somewhat directional. The one minus I will note is the assembly. It took me around 30 minutes and the directions are a little hard to follow. Other than that I highly recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for its compact size, but product claims are deceiving, March 20, 2009
This review is from: Antennas Direct ClearStream4 HDTV Antenna (Electronics)
The C4 antenna is excellent when you consider its size. I placed it in my attic (as a backup antenna during hurricanes threats) and it works very well. I am 18 miles from the Miami TV stations to the south and 25 miles from the West Palm Beach stations to the north and I am able to receive all of the UHF digital transmissions. I placed C4 and C2 antennas in my attic, back to back, on the same 4 foot mast.

I gave it 3 stars because it has no reception capability on the VHF-Hi channels (7-13). I tried it outdoors and there was no reception on Miami's channel 7 (transmitting on channel 8 until June 12) and channel 10 (transmitting on channel 9). The same was true for the Palm Beach station, channel 12 (transmitting on channel 13). Antennas Direct/Terrestial Digital claims "consistent gain throughout the ENTIRE DTV channel spectrum", but this is totally false. The DTV channel spectrum includes channels 7-52 (both VHF-High & UHF), not only channels 14-52 (UHF). Channels 2-6 (VHF-low) are rare exceptions when they are used to transmit DTV, so I have no qualms about no reception for these.

Since I also got a C2 antenna (C4's little brother), I was able to compare them and there is practically no difference as to their reception capability. For the size, I think that the C2 is better.

One surprising result is that it works great to receive FM radio (something that their product literature does not claim).

At first I thought that the C4 had poorer reception than the C2. I had a little problem with a rattle inside the C4's 75-ohm connection box which required me to disassemble it (a nut was loose inside). I finally figured out how to put it back together on my own, but I had contacted Antennas Direct (twice) through their website, and they failed to respond. It seems that they respond only if it is going to lead to a sale. Once a sale has been made, they are not interested in helping their customers. Shame on you Antennas Direct/Terrestial Digital!

If you want an outdoor antenna for channels 7 to 52, I recommend the ChannelMaster 4228 (unfortunately discontinued) and the Winegard HD76xxP series (i.e., HD7696P).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DTV antenna, November 12, 2008
Eric Meyer (CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Antennas Direct ClearStream4 HDTV Antenna (Electronics)
I have been very pleased with this antenna. I am ~43 miles from the TV towers in LA. I did have to mount this antenna on my roof, above the roof line of neighboring houses, but the signal I receive is great. I simply used the previously installed cable coax from the cable company, and hooked it up to the C4, and am able to get a perfect signal on three TVs in my home. So that's three 2-way splitters, ~100' of coax cable, and no pre-amp is necessary. Compared to the large traditional outdoor tv antennas that for my location would need to have a 5-10' boom length, the C4 is quite small. I was able to get 58 digital channels after doing the auto channel search on my digital converter box. And I can now enjoy FREE HD quality TV. I ordered and received the C4 from Amazon, but some of the metal parts arrived bent out of the box. I was able to assemble it anyway, and luckily they didn't seem to be critical to its function. With the advent of free digital TV, this is absolutely the way to go. There is no more of the fuzzy analog signal with digital. Ditch your cable TV provider and get rid of expensive monthly cable fees, get free HD TV with an antenna, and then you can always watch shows that aren't broadcast for free on the internet (Hulu.com, etc.)

4.0 out of 5 stars An alternative to commercial cable service costs, April 12, 2009
N. Waters (Carson City, NV United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Antennas Direct ClearStream4 HDTV Antenna (Electronics)
This purchase was part of a project to save money on cable company bills, which previously were adding up to almost $150/month for internet service, cable programming and converter box. The solution gives me high-definition TV for over $100/month less. I ordered the Antennas Direct CLEARSTREAM4 Antennaand the 75 Cm J-mount/mast to attach the antenna to my roof eave. I used 50 feet of 75-ohm tv cabling to run the signal to my TiVo TCD652160 HD Digital Video Recorder and I was in business. I quit using the converter box and cable tv programming (keeping only high speed internet service) and signed up with TiVO and Netflix at much more reasonable monthly rates.

The Clearstream 4 antenna assembled without major hassles. The illustrations provided were more helpful than the written directions, but in the end it will go together only one way. The antenna itself is made of lightweight but well-engineered materials and it has not shown any problems in the strong local winds common in this area. The television stations in my area use mountaintop transmitters to send their signals. I went online to antennaweb.org, plugged in my address, and was provided with a map showing the directions from my house to the various transmitters. The Clearstream4 antenna has a wide signal reception range, so I found that turning the antenna to an azimuth of about 300 degrees (NNW direction) worked very well and I was able to get clear signals of all the local stations. The antenna mounted securely to the 75-cm J-mount mast with a couple of U-bolt assemblies provided with the antenna. The mast was attached to the roof with 5/16" carriage bolts. I attached it near the eave line of my house so that the mounting holes were drilled under the eave and not into the interior of the house, but the bolts and holes were caulked with roofing compound for weather protection. I ran the antenna cable down the side of the house, into a vent space at the foundation and then through the crawl space of the house to the location of my home entertainment center. I removed the trim on the wall behind the center to drill a slanting 5/8" hole down through the floor, stuck a straightened coathanger wire in the hole and then went back under the house to tape the cable to the coathanger so it could be pulled up and connected to the TiVO unit. I caulked the hole around the cable wire and re-attached the trim after making sure everything was working properly.

The TiVO HD video recorder TiVo TCD652160 HD Digital Video Recorder really keeps the fun in watching television. Depending upon the time of day and the broadcaster, 15 to 20 minutes of every program hour these days is taken up with commercials. The TiVO lets you record a program, watch it later when convenient and fast-forward through the commercial interruptions. It is possible to record two programs while simultaneously watching a third, previously recorded program (I found that was handy for me on Monday nights). You can use a telephone or internet connection to allow the TiVO unit to get programming information and TiVO service. I used the internet, connecting a CAT-V computer cable from the TiVO unit to my cable modem/router, but a wireless TiVO connection device is available at extra cost. At set-up, the TiVO unit runs a channel scan and then connects with TiVO to download program guide information for the stations received. For some reason, the TiVO setup didn't recognize two stations which I received right away, and it took about 10 days before I started getting TV guide information on these two stations. Seems like TiVO ought to provide a way to manually add (or subtract) station program guide information, since it does allow editing of your preferred channel list. A big benefit with TiVO: you can dowload rented movies from Amazon and Netflix. You can also get You-Tube downloads and other media available online. For example, my basic monthly subscription to Netflix gets me movies in the mail on a regular basis, but the same subscription price (with TiVO services) lets me get instant downloads of over 10,000 movies and TV shows. The quality is probably dependent upon the quality of the consumer's internet connection, but for me it works great. The programs appear to be about 720 resolution, audio is good, reception is reliable and fast and it doesn't cost any more than the regular cost for Netflix and TiVO service. I now pay about $55/month for internet, TIVO and Netflix service-- a savings of $100 over cable provider program costs. I receive over a dozen broadcast channels OTA (over the air), most in high-definition. There are a few cable shows I miss having, but for $100/month, I'm coping. By the way, I ordered the 75 Cm J-mount/mast, Antennas Direct CLEARSTREAM4 Antenna and TiVo TCD652160 HD Digital Video Recorder through Amazon. The prices were competitive, products received were as-described, and everything arrived on time and in good condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Believe the reviews!, October 7, 2008
This review is from: Antennas Direct ClearStream4 HDTV Antenna (Electronics)
This antenna gives an excellent picture! Although it took a few hours to get everything setup and the antenna pointed in the direction where I received the most channels, it was worth the trouble. I live about 35 miles from the closest television station and I receive it beautifully! I'm also receiving channels that are 40-60 miles away and this is with the antenna mounted in my attic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great antenna for LA fringe reception, October 10, 2008
KenSoren "Ken" (Inland Empire, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Antennas Direct ClearStream4 HDTV Antenna (Electronics)
I live 60 miles from the LA transmission towers behind a good sized set of hills and I have been using a really big Channel Master deep fringe antenna plus a signal amplifier for about 6 years with mixed results. This received about half the major LA channels - NBC4, ABC7, WB5, and KCAL9 sometimes loosing reception when the weather changed.

I took a chance and bought the clearstream 4 after reading some limited reviews saying how consistantly it locked onto fringe signals. I installed it this morning and now I am getting all the available channels but one - Ch13 - and I couldn't be happier. I can't say that the signal strength is higher than before, but so far it is much more consistant over all the channels.

Another major plus is that this antenna is less than 10 lbs and is a fraction of the size of my old Channel Master. This lets me put it up and take it down without any help which was a major selling point with my wife.

Some people posted assembly problems but I found it relatively easy due to the use of wing nuts - no tools required. All parts were finished well and fit nicely with the exception of one set of almost hidden wing nuts that did require some thinking on how to get them on and off. But overall assembly is a snap.

This is an excellent product and I highly recommend it!

Antennas Direct ClearStream4 HDTV Antenna