4.0 out of 5 stars A alternative to commercial cable service costs
Published on April 12, 2009 by N. Waters

3.0 out of 5 stars Size is wrong
I had previously ordered and received the DB4e antenna from Amazon. I wanted to get the antenna before ordering the mast,since I wanted to check to get the length needed to get the antenna above the copper flashing on my chimney.

Published 21 months ago by Stan

4.0 out of 5 stars A alternative to commercial cable service costs, April 12, 2009
N. Waters (Carson City, NV United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Antennas Direct STM-715 30-Inch Antenna J-Mount (Electronics)
This purchase was part of a project to save money on cable company bills, which previously were adding up to almost $150/month for internet service, cable programming and converter box. The solution gives me high-definition TV for over $100/month less. I ordered the Antennas Direct CLEARSTREAM4 Antenna and the 75 Cm J-mount/mast to attach the antenna to my roof eave. I used 50 feet of 75-ohm tv cabling to run the signal to my TiVo TCD652160 HD Digital Video Recorder and I was in business. I quit using the converter box and cable tv programming (keeping only high speed internet service) and signed up with TiVO and Netflix at much more reasonable monthly rates.

The Clearstream 4 antenna assembled without major hassles. The illustrations provided were more helpful than the written directions, but in the end it will go together only one way. The antenna itself is made of lightweight but well-engineered materials and it has not shown any problems in the strong local winds common in this area. The television stations in my area use mountaintop transmitters to send their signals. I went online to [...], plugged in my address, and was provided with a map showing the directions from my house to the various transmitters. The Clearstream4 antenna has a wide signal reception range, so I found that turning the antenna to an azimuth of about 300 degrees (NNW direction) worked very well and I was able to get clear signals of all the local stations. The antenna mounted securely to the 75-cm J-mount mast with a couple of U-bolt assemblies provided with the antenna. The mast was attached to the roof with 5/16" carriage bolts. I attached it near the eave line of my house so that the mounting holes were drilled under the eave and not into the interior of the house, but the bolts and holes were caulked with roofing compound for weather protection. I attached the curved, J-portion of the mast down, closest to the mounting plate at the roof, although it appears you can mount it in whichever manner that works for the roofline slope or mounting location. I ran the antenna cable down the side of the house, into a vent space at the foundation and then through the crawl space of the house to the location of my home entertainment center. I now receive over a dozen broadcast channels OTA (over the air), most in high-definition. There are a few cable shows I miss having, but for $100/month, I'm coping. By the way, I ordered the 75 Cm J-mount/mast, Antennas Direct CLEARSTREAM4 Antenna and TiVo TCD652160 HD Digital Video Recorder through Amazon. The prices were competitive, products received were as-described, and everything arrived on time and in good condition.

4.0 out of 5 stars sturdy and simple, July 22, 2008
J. Katz (Oakland, CA United States) - See all my reviews
The product's construction is very sturdy, and fairly easy to assemble (although I agree the instructions leave something to be desired -- however it is easy enough). The mount is flexible and adjustable for a large variety of installation configurations.
One strange thing is that the mount comings with 4 expansion bolts to attach it to the wall. These kinds of bolts are great for concrete or brick walls (you must first drill a hole in the concrete/brick wall), but they are completely useless for using in wood, which is what I image most people actually want to attach it to! If you plan to attach it to wood, you will need to purchase 4 wood screws separately. While strange, this is hardly a big deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars 30" for indoor or outdoor stand, January 25, 2009
® (West Coast) - See all my reviews
If you got a Antennas Direct's DB series antenna then you are probably looking for a stand for it, which is why you are here. This is a 30" (model # STM-715) j-mount design to bolt to some hard surface or structure. Included are expansion bolts, but you can use your own screws if you need to attach it to something else. I wished the base was a little bigger to be stabler, but it was engineered to hold up my DB4 antenna just fine. Just don't bump it or it will tip over. Go to antenna direct if you want to see better pictures. If you got a Clearstream model then you might have to look at the CJ mount.

5.0 out of 5 stars Did what expected, July 12, 2009
I bought this mast to use with the DB8 antenna. It is more than strong enough to hold the antenna, and very easy to install.

3.0 out of 5 stars Size is wrong, July 12, 2012
Stan (Connecticut) - See all my reviews

The 30" inches mount would have been sufficient for me. I checked the manufacturer's web site and found the technical specification sheet (the same sheet which comes with the product). Nowhere on the Tech Sheet are any measurements given. I called the service # of the manufacturer and was told that 30" was from the bend in the tube until the end -- sufficient for me.

Upon receipt of the mount this morning it looked shorter than I was expecting. The measurement from the bend of the tube to the end was not 30" but only 21" (too short for me). The overall measurement of the tube from one end to the other (including the bend) was only about 28". I don't see why or how this would be described as a 30" mounting tube. The meansurement was confirmed by the manufacturer, who this time opened a box.

I returned the item to Amazon and order the 40" mount -- which should be sufficient for me.

Why they don't put measurements on the Tech sheet is beyond me. They tell me the measurements of the bolts included in the package but not the length of the tube -- having the length specified on the diagram would have saved me two phone calls to the manufacturer and having to return the first mast to Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should have been thinking, November 29, 2010
This is a good product but how ever I didn't really need it. Turns out the outdoor AIR ANTENNA I purchased from Amazon got such great TV reception in HD that I no longer needed satellite or cable service. I removed the satellite dish and replaced the dish with the new air antenna. The j mount that came with the dish was the same size as the one I purchased and since it was already installed I simply used the satellite dish mount instead.
Originally we subscribed to satellite because the reception we where getting in analog was crappy but since the new digital air in HDTV went into effect I discovered that the picture quality was awesome, better than satellite or cable and the TV doesn't loose reception on thick cloudy days. We were paying $97.00 a month for basic satellite service every month with Direct TV. With the Air antenna we are getting TV stations we never gotten with satellite service including a local sports and weather channel I never new existed. We are canceling our Direct TV subscription and replacing it with FREE Air service.
We also purchased from Amazon the Channel Master DVR so we don't miss a thing. It works just like the DVR we were renting from Direct TV only we pay nothing, no subscription or any hidden fees. I love it, we are back to the basics and loosing very little.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, October 9, 2010
I bought this to mount my Antennas Direct ClearStream4 HDTV Antenna to a large post on my privacy fence. Good quality and just what was needed. As others have noted, no screws are provided for mounting to wood (there are concrete/masonry anchors). This is a bit odd since most folks seem to mount to a wood support. I bought three 5/16" x 1 1/2" long galvanized lag screws and 5/16" galvanized washers. Length can vary depending on thickness of wood to which you attach mast. Very pleased with mast, antenna, and Amazon Prime.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy and straightforward, February 17, 2010
The mast itself is rather easy to attach to any wooden roof-eave or wall, just use different screws than what are included. It can be a little tricky to put up perfectly level, especially while perched on a ladder with your hands full of screws, a drill, and brackets.

There is no grounding wire with this mast, so you need to accomplish that with another product or have one with the antenna you're attaching to the mast itself.

4.0 out of 5 stars tv mast, January 25, 2009
just as advertised. All fittings included. Vertical tube a bit short, but easy to extend with piping or conduit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great with DB2 and DB4 Antennas, January 21, 2009
I wasn't sure if this Mount would work with the Antenna Direct DB2 or DB4 antennas, it doesn't specify in the description or other product reviews. Well, it works great with the two models. The clamps that come with the DB2 and DB4 seem to be designed for a mount of this diameter. The installation of the mount itself was pretty easy, and attaching the antenna to the mount was a piece of cake.

Previously, my antenna was mounted to the side of my chimney with wire. The mount allowed me to raise it above the peak of the roof, which allowed me to rotate it and improve the signal.

The only minor complaint. This model doesn't provide much elevation. I wish had ordered the 40 inch model, the STM-1000, which isn't available on Amazon.

ARRAY(0x98c4951c)