5.0 out of 5 stars Vol. 4, H. Smith's Anthology Of American Folk Music, July 19, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Anthology Of American Folk Music Volume 4 (Edited By Harry Smith) (Audio CD)
Volume 4 fits very well with the previous three. There are a lot of old-time music anthologies out there these days but there's something going on with Mr. Smith's work that seems to be lacking in the others. I find all of the tracks of Vol-4 to be memorable performances. The Leadbelly cut particularly sticks in my mind, but on another day I might single out any of the others as well.
The accompanying notes are extensive & well-presented although it's black ink on dark brown paper in tiny font, so the reading can be tough. And you are paying for the presentation in the pricetag.
I was half-expecting to be disappointed by this album because the earlier release was so important to me, but it turns out that this one makes for great listening as well i.e. it has the elusive 'HS-factor' going for it too. If you are the type of person who got changed by the 3-Volume Folkways Anthology, then you will dig Volume 4. Really, it's been a rumor for so long .. it's incredible that it is now generally available.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd give this album six stars if I could!, July 28, 2001
M. Hilton "so eclectic it hurts" (Indianapolis, IN United States) - See all my reviews
It's hard to imagine that anything could be better than the original Folkways box set (Volumes 1-3), but this album is. Everything I love about V1-3, there is even more of here. The eerie juxtaposition of darkness and jubilation pretty much sums up the whole 20th Century in an hour and a half. Yes, it's short and pricey, but better in my mind to preserve Smith's original vision - after all, he scuttled the original release of this album in order to stay true to that vision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Overdue Closure for Harry's American Folk Masterpiece, June 20, 2000
James Otterstrom (Big Bear City, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Thanks to John Fahey and The Harry Smith Archives 'The Anthology' has now been respectfully completed (sans Harry's original liner notes and design). Volume 4 is a well qualified supplement to 'Smithsonian Folkways' volumes 1 through 3, and is very close to what Harry originally intended. The Monroe Brothers, The Carter Family, The Memphis Jug Band, Leadbelly, Sleepy John Estes, Bukka White, Uncle Dave Macon, Robert Johnson---the forgotten folk masters who became American icons after Harry shared his record collection with us in 1952---are represented here with outstanding performances. Not to mention the several artists you possibly haven't heard---just revel in the acapella beauty of The Heavenly Gospel Singers 'Mean Old World'. Aside from wondrous historic music 'Volume 4' is another loving tribute to the eccentric genius of the irascible Harry Smith. Without this offering, you certainly don't have the entire 'Anthology', and although the packaging doesn't match the Smithsonian set, it is very nicely done---just don't try to put it in your plastic CD rack. If you're into your folk roots don't miss this one!
Jim Otterstrom

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for folkies, June 12, 2000
I was rather ecstatic when I came across this collection at a used CD shop. The two CD set contains some very important American folk music from 1935 depression. For completists out there or just pure fans of folk music, VOL.4 is a must have. There are more selections by the Carter Family, as well as some very fine jug band pieces. This collection gives listeners a stronger glimpse into the vision that Harry Smith was reaching toward in Vol 1-3. Add this to your collection ASAP.

5.0 out of 5 stars Way Overpriced but..., October 9, 2000
Tribe (Toledo, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
it's an excellent collection. I mean, for about the price of two of these you can almost buy the original 6-CD Anthology. Fortunately, the songs are beautiful, and like the original Anthology, way weird. The Carter Family cuts are scary in their dead-pan beauty; Bukka White's Parchman Farm Blues is one of the saddest blues ever and the Blue Sky Boys' On the Bank of the Ohio is sort of like Jim Thompson's The Killer Inside Me meets Bill Monroe. A great selection.
Is it worth the hefty price though?

4.0 out of 5 stars Packaging, price, over the top, but really, so are the performances..., January 14, 2013
William E. Adams (Midland, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
As a folk fan since I was 14 and encountered "Tom Dooley" by the Kingston Trio (1958) I had heard ABOUT Smith's anthology early on, but never actually heard "it." Now I've heard Volume IV, at least. For the first time in my hobby of reviewing music and books and the occasional film for Amazon, I think all nine reviews here and each of the comments, too, are worth reading. Almost every statement seems valid, even the contradictory ones. In the end, though, if someone is going to purchase this two-CD set, it will be because they have a desire to hear and own a great sampling of '30's and '40's "Americana" records. I developed that affection quite slowly, as the Kingston Trio led me to Guthrie, and the Clancy Brothers, and to traditional lyrics and earlier, less commercial performers. Each stream I followed over the past 50 years led to discovering new creeks and ponds and swamps. Now I own some Jimmie Rodgers, and a ton of Carter Family, and some Robert Johnson and Mississippi John Hurt, and I've heard the early records of many artists who did not earn lasting fame, except perhaps in Smith's collection. Disc One here has "Black Jack David" by the Carters, "Banks of the Ohio" by the Blue Sky Boys, and "Last Fair Deal Gone Down" by Johnson, along with 11 other oldies. Disc Two is even better, with fine performances of "Hello Stranger" by the Carters, and "Stand By Me" by Sister Clara. I really dig "How Can a Poor Man Stand Such Times and Live?" by Blind Alfred Reed. I had been fascinated by that title for decades, but never heard the song until this week. Uncle Dave Macon's "Wreck of the Tennessee Gravy Train" sounds like a commentary on the current debt fights between the White House and Congress, and the Carters return with "No Depression in Heaven." If you like old-time songs that fit somewhere within the country, Gospel, mountain and "race records" categories, you will like this. The long biography of Mr. Smith is interesting to read once, for he was a strange, scattered, talented man, but the packaging, as other reviewers noted, adds too much to the cost and contributes too little to the owner's convenience.

5.0 out of 5 stars A listener from the US, May 25, 2000
By A Customer
Yet another revelation from the master DJ of American music. Harry Smith's 4th Volume is a fine collection of blues and ballads. It furthers the already amazing three previous volumes. A must for those who love Smith's collection to American Folk music as well as he many other contributions to American arts and letters

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth A Listen, July 18, 2014
I was very pleased with the sound quality and song selection of this release. I'm not what I'd call a true "Folk" music fan, but I wouldn't really call the music on these two CDs "Folk"...I'd call it old, some traditional. But I'm not real big on Categorizing every difference and nuance in every genre. I know it can be helpful, but for the most part I'd just say this is a great collection of songs from the late 20's through the early 40's that your Great Grand Mother, Grandmother or maybe Mom & Dad might have grown up listening to...depending on just how long you've been around. My Granny (1913-1995) is the main reason I took an interest in this release, and some reviews I'd read. While listening to these old songs, several of which are what I'd call true Blues, they took my imagination way back to another tyme...it was relaxing and gratifying. Many of the songs tell of interesting stories.

If you have an interest in the older music from various regions of the U.S. then I'd say your in for a memorable treat. But, if your music interest and memory only take you back to the late 60's, then you might not be so impressed. Some of the music, if not all of it, on these discs has made an impact on many of our recent and current recording stars, but that doesn't mean you will particularly care for it...then again, it might take you on an adventure that never ends!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Old Wierd America 4, October 9, 2013
If you have 1 thru 3, just buy 4! If you don't have 1-3, well you should. And throw this one in. Don't let the Folk thing scare you. Unless old weird America sends a chill down your spine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does Not Disappoint, December 31, 2011
For anyone that owns or listens to vols. I-III, volume IV does not disappoint. This anthology is relevant and pleasing to the ear and makes a fine addition to ANY collection of American music.

Anthology Of American Folk Music Volume 4 (Edited By Harry Smith)
Anthology Of American Folk Music Volume 4 (Edited By Harry Smith) by Harry Smith's Anthology (Audio CD - 2005)
Rate and Discover Movies