Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on March 17, 2009
This set includes the following episodes:

Sweden
Ghana
Namibia
Lebanon
Pacific Northwest
44 comments|80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 13, 2008
If you do a side by side comparison with some of the other shows on the Travel Channel - say Samantha Brown or any of the cruise ship, theme park, beach vacation drivel - the contrast is startling. Bourdain is not a mainstream personality. He is sarcastic, cynical, brilliantly insightful and (mostly) real. His anti-vegetarian tirades do get old, and sometimes he seems to be pandering a little to every exotic culture he comes in contact with, but in general he is honest and genuine. He lets you see the irritation, fatigue and discomfort that comes with travel, instead of editing those parts out. So entertaining on so many levels. Bourdain is one of the masters of travel television, along with Ian Wright and Michael Palin.
on July 26, 2008
Collection 2 is an inspiring and informative series of episodes that goes beyond the usual formula "food culture" shows. I think it is genuinely transcendent. Bourdain's personality adds much to this adventure. The series' blending of social and culinary culture with Tony Bourdain's characteristic outlook makes this fantastic entertainment worth purchase.

Bourdain's Asian adventures (India -two great episodes - and Korea) were so good it took me several minutes to come back to reality. These segments stayed with me for days. I craved Indian and Korean food for weeks. They mix culture and food culture into the best shows I've seen yet.

A big surprise was the Northwest segment. I clicked it thinking "The Northwest . . . I should just get this out of the way." I was so impressed that I want to move to Portland! This was such a great treat. The segment on Beirut brought tears to my eyes. This series facilitated the realization that food is so much more than the kitchy shows you watch about which olive oil to use or what the "cuisine" of Tuscany is like. It demonstrates how fundamental food is to our lives, our family, and who we are as a culture.

No Reservations Collection 2 is even better than the first season - which was very good. I recommend it enthusiastically. It makes me hungry for travel and food, and touched my heart with every segment!
on April 5, 2008
Over the years I have come to love the many facets of Anthony Bourdain. This show is the way I was introduced to him and his quirks, and I was so glad to find that they had put it on DVD, so that I no longer had to anticipate re-runs on the Travel Channel. If you are a fan of his writing, I suggest giving the show a try. It captures the essence of Tony in shorter format. There are a few *bleeps* here and there, and a lot of snarky comments, smoking and drinking, but that's just him.
on March 2, 2008
Anthony Bourdain is the boss. His wit is sharp and direct, humourous and completely entertaining. Hes right. Hes doesnt belong on the food channel. Travel and adventure is his thing. Its the only food/adventure show I'll watch over and over. A long awaited "No Reservations Collection 2" is an absolute MUST for any foodie. My boyfriend thought he was being dragged into a food program with recipes prepared on a counter, but when Tony was did his program from Sweden (with tipis in the snow and Nordic biker dudes dissin ABBA with hatchets, you have to see it), he was completely surprised, now he asks me if we can hang out and watch Bourdains food program. Tony, we are eagerly awaiting Collections No.3. YOU GO BOY!!!
on March 5, 2015
Disc 1 contains Sweden, Puerto Rico, Quebec and Mexico/ US Border. It is ok, but not great. I thought for a beautiful place like Puerto Rico the episode would be better. Watch Tony yell into a hole in the rocks by the ocean where a farmer and his cows were, according to myth, sucked into the hole and vanished into the ocean. He also eats some nice looking pork. In Quebec you will see a strange old man who puts maple syrup on everything. This guy would make a good character in a Stephen King novel. In Mexico Tony visits the family of a cook who now lives in the U.S. He can't see his family in Mexico right now, so Tony pays them a visit to eat some delicious food and let them know their son is doing fine. Tony also tries some street food at the local taco stands.

Disc 2 contains 2 episodes on India, which are Rajasthan and Kolkata/Bombay. Things start picking up here. Tony has dinner with a rich guy who lives in a mansion. Then come episodes on Indonesia, Korea, and Ireland. See Tony eat pancakes for breakfast from a boat at the hotel in Indonesia. Does Tony really want to live here now? Watch Nari, his Korean coworker, drag him all around Korea for some crazy fun. She is adorable! You get to see how kimchi is made. Then see Tony drink a pint of Guiness in Ireland and get a tour of Northern Ireland on both the Protestant and Catholic sides. Tony goes to Cork and watches the locals play a street bowling game.

Disc 3 contains Ghana, Nambia, Lebanon and Pacific Northwest. I will watch these again before reviewing as I haven't seen them in a while. I watched the episode on Ghana last night. Tony trys some local barracuda and other local fish.
on March 3, 2008
Tony Bourdain is unlike any other 'chef' on television. He is more in tune with the inner workings of kitchen life than any chef you may encounter on the Food Network, PBS, or even the Travel Channel itself (i.e. Andrew Zimmer, a Tony wannabe in sheep's clothing). The fact that Tony is also an accomplished author with a savage command of the language only adds to the unique concept and feel of No Reservations. He travels to the heart of a region's cuisine, eats with the locals and drinks with the most authentic chefs and cooks to be found there. The obvious respect he is shown by these chefs adds to his credibility, and typically paints Tony to be a rare bird in the culinary world-- a reviewer that is welcomed with open arms into the recesses of the best kitchens in the world. A truly unique host, This is the best 'reality' show on television bar none.
on July 6, 2008
Bourdain is always amusing and even if he might not win any best chef contest he certainly knows his food. Everywhere he travels he usual visits tourist, high end places as well as everyday local places. Maybe too much is made of him trying exotic eats as many unusual delicacies are not enjoyed by everyone in a given country. For me the delight is in his observations of the regions and the attitudes towards food. He is witty and self depracating, a winning combo. You don't have to be a foodie to enjoy his observations.
on September 5, 2008
I have read Anthony's books first. Then I saw one of his TV shows "by accident" while switching through the channels. I wanted more. So I rent all DVDs during my last vacation in the US and watched them in a row.

Now, one year later, I wanted to see some of his shows again as I am interested in visiting some of the places he went, and as I am also a hunter for good local food and specialites, I decided to buy all his DVDs here on Amazon. And I have soooo much fun with them.

You see other views of a country, not the typical tourist paths. Food you wouldn't dare to touch or put it in your mouth - he does it for us. Great guy. Can't wait to go to Sicily and try that strange fried meat-parts hidden under a towel from these old men on the streets, too. Or the melon gelly with pistachios and dark chocolate bits.... Yummie!

These are short movies you can watch several times. They are fun, interesting, educational and like a nice trip to a foreign world in times you get "itchy feet" and wanna do at least some couchvacation....

Buy all at once, because you will like the first, and then you regret you have to pay extra postal service for the others.... ;-)

Have fun
Joey
on July 6, 2009
I've been a pretty big fan of Bourdain's food-centric travelogues since Food Network debuted the A Cook's Tour show and the accompanying book (A Cook's Tour: Global Adventures in Extreme Cuisines). From his auto-bio/expose on the restaurant business Kitchen Confidential Updated Ed: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly (P.S.), to his unrestricted palette of taste, through to his no nonsense style of writing food inspired crime fiction, Bourdain has cut an interesting niche in the foodie world. With No Reservations, he's left behind the insanity of the Food Network and taken his travels in search of good food and culture to the Travel Channel.

What I find interesting about this new show is the balance he's seemingly struck between his own tendencies and the requirements of filming a network driven travel show. On A Cook's tour it came across as butting heads with the network and producers resulting in a lackluster second season filled with excursions to ridiculous destinations like the Mall of America, content that felt forced and sad. No Reservations, though occasionally still succumbing to these depths, frees Bourdain up to getting to the heart of the matter which is examining true local culture and the food that sustains and elevates it. It combines the point of view of a 70s punk rebel with a soul searching existentialist, while also ditching most of the pretension and being generally entertaining TV which is pretty darn rare.

If you're looking for the insanity of A Cook's Tour (the swallowing of still beating cobra hearts, etc.) than you might be a bit disappointed, but if the first thought when entering a new city or country is locating a good genuine meal that speaks to the local culture than this is the show for you. It's not a how-to for finding the tourist traps of the world, but a how to avoid these and eat like a local. Highlights from this set include Quebec, Mexico/U.S. Border, both India episodes (Rajasthan & Kolkata/Bombay), Ghana, Namibia, Lebanon (really interesting sidetrack from the normal content in this one), and the Pacific Northwest.

There are currently 3 other seasons available: Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations - Collection 1,Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations - Collection 3, and Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations - Collection Four.