5.0 out of 5 stars A Descent Into Madness
Anthony Shriek was, in my opinion, one of the best novels to be released on the shortlived Dell Abyss line (along with Poppy Z. Brite's Lost Souls and Tanith Lee's Dark Dance).

Published on January 9, 2008 by snow.glass.apples

2.0 out of 5 stars Gets bogged down in weirdness
Published on April 19, 2000 by BarkLessWagMore (Horror After ...

5.0 out of 5 stars A Descent Into Madness, January 9, 2008
This review is from: Anthony Shriek (Mass Market Paperback)

The story itself seems pretty simple on the surface - the beginning and end of the relationship between two troubled lovers. However, Jessica Salmonson's beautiful (and disturbing) portrait of Anthony and Emily makes the novel much more than that.

Anthony's downward spiral into madness and his vulnerability is heartbreaking. Emily is complicated and strange, and also not very easy to relate to or figure out but she's interesting.

I've been disappointed to see many bad reviews for this book on the internet. While it's not a perfect book it is a good example of "dark fantasy" and I would recommend it to those that usually read within that genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book, February 9, 2014
This review is from: Anthony Shriek (Mass Market Paperback)
I was very impressed with Salmonson's novel. The visual descriptions consigned with the atmosphere, characters, and events. I have a lot to say about this book, but I think readers would have a better experience not knowing the specifics I could discuss. Its not explicitly a horror novel, dark urban fantasy, young adult, or profound literature. I guess a mix of all of those would be appropriate. Its not a 'fun' novel, though its not exhausting to read. When I say fun I mean laughing at the jokes, or going along for an adventure, etc. You will enjoy reading this and you will get a lot out of it. There's no need to look for hints and clues, just follow the story as it progresses. While I read it I was experiencing the two main characters' lives, but it was not intense or NOT not intense. Argh, having trouble typing out a convincing commentary without giving things away. Ok well lastly I'll say that after it was over I wanted more, but I doubt I ever will. Which is probably fits the story perfectly.

2.0 out of 5 stars Gets bogged down in weirdness, April 19, 2000
This review is from: Anthony Shriek (Mass Market Paperback)
Anthony Shriek, a college student and artist, has overcome his horrendous childhood mainly by putting it out of his mind. One day as he is quietly studying in the library a seductive woman named Emily picks him up and his life is forever changed. She claims he is a demon, as is she, which is why she is attracted to him. Her arrival reawakens his suppressed memories and opens up a dream-like world called Nightland where Anthony is forced to deal with strange, twisted versions of his past. As his love for Emily grows in intensity the more he fears he is losing his mind.
Anthony is a very sympathetic character. He's lives quietly and has survived life on the streets and has somehow managed to rise above his horrid beginnings and is attending college. He's a survivor but once he meets Emily the reader realizes just how close to edge of insanity he really is. His heart-breaking past was revealed in little bits in pieces with just enough information to make me want to keep reading. I really felt for Anthony but had a bit of a problem with Emily who I never really got a handle on, which may have been the author's intent. While the reader learns everything about Anthony very little about Emily is revealed and I found her dialogue so stilted that it continually threw me out of the story. Although most of the story was compelling and made me keep turning the pages there were too many times when the book wandered off on odd tangents - these were mostly times spent with Emily looking for a frog fountain, kung-fu fighting off dirty old teachers or having pow-wows with her Indian friends. They added a surreal sense to the book but didn't do much to advance the plot. Or maybe I just didn't get it. So, although Anthony was an interesting character and the book had plenty of horrific moments I can't wholeheartedly recommend this one.

Anthony Shriek
Anthony Shriek by Jessica Salmonson (Mass Market Paperback - August 1, 1992)
Used & New from: $0.01