Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on May 11, 2000
In retrospect, Carly Simon's second album showed so much songwriting prowess that the future likes of "You're So Vain," "The Right Thing to Do," and "Let the River Run" should have been easy to see coming. In this gentle, flowing acoustic set Simon's always-impressive writing, as well as her remarkable voice, is in absolute top form.
"Anticipation" and "Legend in Your Own Time" were strong enough to become and remain radio staples, but these songs only scratch the surface of the depth of material here. "Our First Day Together" and "The Garden" are stark and beautiful ballads on a stylistic par with early Joni Mitchell. "Three Days" and the playful, near-Beatlesque "The Girl You Think You See" were definitely missed opportunities for singles, ditto for a stunning cover of Kris Kristofferson's "I've Got to Have You," which features the album's only electric guitar.
"Share the End" is a bit unusual, with its apocalyptic lyric and bizarre banshee wails...it's one of the rare moments in Simon's career that's hard to figure. Elsewhere, the drop-dead gorgeous, Bossa Nova-ish "Summer's Coming Around Again" (not to be confused with "Coming Around Again," Carly's theme for the 80's film "Heartburn") is a revelation, and the lovely "Julie Through the Glass" is a touching ode to a newborn baby.
Some of Carly Simon's other albums are better known and may feature more charted singles, but "Anticipation" stands up as a strong artistic statement that gave ample indication of the distinguished career that lay ahead.
HALL OF FAMEon August 21, 2000
Carly Simon straddled the world between folk and pop music in the early 1970s, and forged herself a place in the pantheon of very successful singers like Joni Mitchell, Judy Collins, and a number of others like Carol King who were on the pop charts and in the folk clubs earlier in their career. This was her first big album in terms of success, and had the smash hit "Anticipation" on the album pushing it up the charts. Yet there are also a number of other interesting, provocative, and beautiful selections here, including "Legend In Your Own Time", a song obviously about her then-beau and soon to be husband James Taylor, whose professionally educated parents (his father was a physician) strongly disapproved of his non-academic and quite unprofessional choice of careers. My personal favorite here is "The Garden", which never got any air-time, but is a moving, intimate word picture of a song with a lovely melody, evocative lyrics, and an absoluutely haunting vocal. "Anticipation" was one of her first autobiographical confessional albums, and it gives us an interesting vantage point with which to understand her better. This is a great early album by an artist who is often under-appreciated. This is one I heartily recommend. Enjoy
on November 21, 2000
Between Les McCann, Weather Report, Yes and Spirit's 12 Dreams of Dr Sardonicus, it was a strange favorite amongst the bunch in 1972. Carly had grabbed ears a year earlier on AM radio with "That's the Way I ALways Heard It Should Be" with her self-titled debut, but the album was all over the place, an imperfect mixture of East Coast folk and oddball country. But someone focused her many talents by the next year when "Anticipation" arrived with its shiny cover and odd dozen batch of beguiling songs, and not a dud amongst them. The production was even more stelllar than the first album, and the whole thing seemed infused with a cinematic grandness (and not grandiosity) that made the whole things SOUND and FEEL bigger than life.
Even the hard rock kids wanted to hear it.
People have described the songs better before me, but the hit title tune has regrettably been spoiled by that ketchup commercial in years past. Nevermind. The sun-dappled and shimmering "Summer's Coming Round Again" is worth the price of the CD itself, and little else in the folk-country canon has been more EROTIC than "(If I Have Known You Only) Three Days." Feeling ennui and lacking that zest for life? Spin "(Come into) The Garden" and be transported to Nirvana instantly.
Last but not least was the maturing fledgling's cover version of Kris Kristofferson's "I've Got to Have You." Ooooooooooh! This is still a scorcher! Carly comes off as the 50 Foot Woman in the best way imaginable, and the production gives voice to sexuality and angst rarely heard in folk or country.
If any album from this period so effectively captured a dance with the Passions, it was "Anticipation", and time has not spoiled its great power as a pop accomplishment.
And this is where we parted ways, but I will always say Thank You.
on May 17, 2016
This is Carly Simon's best album, soul-filled songs of superior quality. A classic. This Mobile Fidelity recording sounds great; the piano tinkles, the sound is balanced and clear. I do recommend this and say it is worth the few extra dollars.
on February 6, 2014
As I grew up listening to Carly Simon's hits, I decided sometime in the year 2000 to go into her catalog -- chronologically, of course. "Anticipation" is Carly's 1971 sophomore LP. She was almost married to James Taylor.

Over half of the songs are acoustic folk ballads, but none of them are ever boring. The title track was Carly's second mega smash (the first being "That's The Way I've Always Heard It Should Be"). This is one of her best songs because of Andy Newmark's excellent percussion/drum playing, especially at the end of the song. "Legend In Your Own Time" and "The Girl You Think You See" are 2 more feel good songs and can transport you far away to, wherever your imagination takes you. "Share The End" starts off quiet but then goes out into a full scale choir.

"Julie Through The Glass", as I've heard, is about Carly's niece (Lucy Simon's daughter). But watch out, the last song -- "I've Got To Have You" -- starts out quiet too -- before Jimmy Ryan breaks out into his first ever electrifying hellfire guitar solo (this was before he REALLY got famous for 1972's "You're So Vain").

Since then, I've nearly studied Carly's catalog by entire heart -- from 1971 to 2012 (her most recent song was the quiet, poignant cover of Bob Dylan's "Just Like A Woman"). She is truly one of the BEST singer/songwriter/poets from the 1970's and 1980's. I hope that by the 22nd century, the next five to six generations will quickly take notice of Carly's work. Happy listening! :)
on April 22, 2000
Carly keeps getting better on her second album."Anticipation," is one of the greatest songs Carly has ever written.I love the ending the most,"These are the good old days." That's so true.Right now is the day you'll remember when you look back on your life."Julie through the Glass," about a new born baby is fantastic.My cousin named her daughter after this song,and her son's name is Jessie."Legend in Your own time" was never even released as a single,but one of Carly's most well know records.It was great when Carly opened her 1995 concert with,"I've got to have you."She sings this old song so much better then on this album.It seems like every record Carly reaches a higher level.
Last night I listened to the debut album of her's Carly Simon and was happily surprised at what a high quality and seasoned album it was for what essentially amounted to a debut release-being she had only record an album with her sister Lucy prior to that. By the time "That's The Way I Always Heard It Should" be became a hit? It was lucky for Carly that she was entering into a very prolific and high quality period as a singer/songwriter/musician. And had more than the wherewithal to come up with a decent follow up quickly enough to satisfy what would've likely been pretty heavy demands of the record label at the time. So almost at the end of that year Carly released her sophomore release here.

The title song which opens the album is a beautifully constructed folk/pop hit that easily produced a creatively and commercially satisfying follow up hit for her."Legend In Your Own Time" is an ideal follow one song to that-with that same strong songcraft about it. "Our First Day Together","The Girl You Think You See","Share The End","Three Days","Julie Through The Glass" and her version of Kris Kristofferson's "I've Got To Have You" are all sparkling,echoing acoustic oriented numbers and this sound comes to a head on the epic "The Garden"-which tells a more compressed version of the albums overall narrative on then contemporary femininity with an enormously swelling choral/vocal sound on the coda. One of my favorite songs here is "Summer's Coming Around Again",a swaying and dancing Brazilian acoustic bossa-nova song with strong jazzy melodic overtones about it.

Coming along at a time when the singer-songwriter genre hadn't yet calcified into a sound that might begin to have a certain formula? This album is probably the apex of Carly's folk past. A majority of the album is based around her voice,acoustic guitar and strongly constructed melodic passages. On this album however,her producer Paul Samwell-Smith provides a very orchestral atmosphere for this sound. The sound of the guitars,Carly's voice and the melodies themselves have this otherworldly,distant echo about them-almost as if Carly's music is being presented in a dream. The soft,slightly dim album artwork (both front and back) reflects this. And its appropriate considering this album is reflective of a spiritual journey from youth to maturity. A journey she began with her debut. An excellent second album for Carly Simon!
on July 25, 2014
Oh My God I can't believe Rhino or someone hasn't done justice to this 1971 MASTERPIECE. This is her best LP and probably one of the best recordings I have ever heard. I luckily had a professional LP job taken care. So it sounds magnificent. No Secrets has apparently more commercial appeal but really it doesn't get better than this. This is so underrated it should be up there with the great works of the era. But it's so underground. I definitely want to hear the first album to see if it's rates with this one. I'm not sure Carly was able to make a album again like this because I'm sure she changed her music from this but I'm not sure I haven't heard any of it. Not sure I want to spoil this. Every song is a jewel. Beautiful work and cover.
on August 12, 2009
"Anticipation" is my favorite Carly Simon album. It showcases her not only as a gifted songwriter, but an amazing singer with an incredible range and ability to imbue her music with great depth of feeling.

It is worth noting that "Anticipation" was recorded in London while Carly was in a relationship with Cat Stevens - another favorite of mine. "Anticipation", "Three Days" and "Legend in Your Own Time" are about him. Look for the dedication to Steve in very small print; Cat Stevens' (now Yusuf Islam) birthname is Steven Demetre Georgiou. He must have had a major impact on her.

"I've Got to Have You" is the best song on this album, in my opinion. Written by Kris Kristoferson, Carly's intensity, sensuality and vulnerablity about a new relationship comes through in her voice. She sings "I don't know the feeling, so I don't know if it's love, but it's enough, it's enough. I can't help it. I've got to have you." One can only imagine who she's thinking about as she sings - a true torch song. It also has a great electric guitar solo, perfectly echoing the passion in her voice.

This album has a quiet intensity that allows us inside Carly's inner world of feeling and concern for others and the planet. "Julie Through The Glass" is a truly beautiful song written for her newborn niece. "The Girl You Think You See" is a great song, probably not popular amongst feminists, but accurately (and playfully) speaks to the dilemna of a young woman in love, wanting to be herself AND please her lover. "The Garden" is an exquisitely lyrical journey to a magical, fantasy place, where everyone would like to visit - if not reside. "Share The End" is about the end of the world. Passionate and intense, Carly's profoundly expressive vocals are at their finest in this song.

Carly Simon was in her twenties when this album was released, and this collection of songs reflect her youthful introspection, so evocative of the events in the early 70's. Her inner exploration, vulnerability and passion come through clearly in her songwriting and beautifully expressive voice.
on January 1, 2012
I've been "anticipating" (har har!) giving Anticipation a well-deserved listen ever since... well, ever since I realized how amazing Carly's No Secrets album is (which was two years ago). Anticipation delivers with the fantastic songwriting and the heartfelt vocal melodies that we've come to expect from Carly Simon, and some slight similarities to perhaps the very best female musician of the 70's- Joni Mitchell.

To be fair, that's not by ANY means a criticism towards Carly Simon. I just think Joni Mitchell had the total package in songwriting, vocal melodies, creative lyrics... wait, that's it. The lyrics. Joni has Carly beat in that department. However I really don't want to turn this review into a war between two fabulous musicians. That wasn't my intention! So without further ado, let's get started...

One other thing I want to mention before I forget. I realize magazine writers were pretty harsh on Carly when she first arrived on the scene, and I just think it's wrong to bash what is honestly a very likeable and compassionate type of songwriting and a beautiful face that Carly Simon has. It makes me think many writers totally misunderstood Carly Simon back in the day.

"Summer's Coming Around Again" is a pretty ordinary song by early 70's standards. A nice mellow piano flows calmly like... a warm ocean breeze (hehe) while an above average vocal melody carries the rest of the song. Not a highlight but it's growing on me. Actually realizing it's a light jazz/cocktail tune helps me appreciate it more. "The Garden" is like a fairy tale come to life through beautiful guitar work and an uplifting vocal melody that has a spiritual feeling about it. It almost resembles a female version of a few Gordon Lightfoot tunes I could name. The song turns REALLY sad during the "Hold me so we can both be born again" line. That part is REALLY intense, emotionally.

"I've Got to Have You" is another fantastic tune. The verse melody really takes advantage of Carly's voice. I love the way she sings it. "Then without a warning I remember that you trembled at the touch of my hand". Great lyrics too. The guitar solo is very effective though WAY too brief at only 20 seconds or so. Well, completely forget what I said about Carly Simon being a weak lyric writer. The message in "Legend In Your Own Time" will make you think, and thankfully while thinking about the lyrics, you'll be humming a great vocal melody as well! What's unique about this song is how Carly displays a soulful verse melody *and* a pop-like chorus. It's a special combination of two different styles and she pulls it off nicely.

Speaking of uniqueness, check out "Share the End". A piano elevates a soulful vocal melody reminiscent of Elton John's work around the same point in music history, but the chorus is an especially surprising move on Carly's part. At first I thought it was a children's choir, but on repeated listens I don't believe it is. I'm not exactly sure WHO is singing this particular part of the song, but it's fitting and beautiful. This song actually has a devastating quality tucked deep inside the atmosphere. It strikes me on a personal level as a result. "Julie Through the Glass" is another highlight. Carly sounds unbelievably sincere on this track. The piano is almost bouncy, but... it's not exactly an upbeat song. Just another example of Carly's excellent songwriting capabilities. In fact the piano work nearly makes me cry- that's how *beautiful* it sounds. The religious vibe is simply superb.

"Three Days" takes Carly's voice to a deeper, soothing style. I enjoy it immensely. There's a slight country/rock flavor to it. It's so subtle it can easily be overlooked by the naked eye. I love when Carly hums at the end. Just puts the icing on the already fantastic cake by doing that. "Our First Day Together" has that all so familiar haunting vibe that makes early 70's folk/rock so brilliant to me. This is more like fantasy folk/rock thanks to the lyrics and the atmosphere.

Overall, Carly Simon had her share of incredible music, and Anticipation is tied with No Secrets as minor masterpieces that have unfortunately gotten sort of lost overtime. Correct this little issue by purchasing Anticipation.