5.0 out of 5 stars Tried for first time last night
I tried this flour for the first time last night. Amazing results. I have been making homemake pizza for 20+ years now and always used bread or high-gluten flour. (Mostly King Arthur).

Published on March 20, 2011 by William

3.0 out of 5 stars Pizza Flour
Skeptical buyer at first after years of using King Arthur but tried a pack of ten and was delightfully pleased. Seems to be a lighter consistency good for pizza dough.
Published on March 18, 2012 by t3

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Tried for first time last night, March 20, 2011
This review is from: Antimo Caputo Italian "00" Farina Flour 2.2lb Bags 10 Pack (Misc.)

In the past I have read about using Italian "00" flour but have not tried it. King Arthur offers "00" flour but I always thought the protien content was tool low, looked more like cake flour then something I would want to use for pizza.

Surfing the other day I came across this flour and read about how much people loved it for making pizza. Seeing that it had a higher protien content (11% compared to KA's 8.5%) I though I would give it a try.

Well based on last nights results I'm a fan and may never go back to HG flour again for pizza.

The dough was very easy to work with (you will not be tossing this dough) very soft and easy to work with.

I used the following bakers percentages:

Italian "00" flour 100.00% (1 lb 4 oz approx 4.5 cups)
Water 57.00% (11.4 oz - approx 1.333 cups)
IDY 0.17% (.03 oz - approx .333 tsp)
Salt, Fine 3.00% (.6 oz - approx 1 tbsp)

I use two 16 Oz balls for two 14" pizza

5.0 out of 5 stars Great results always, pizza or Ciabatta, June 2, 2011
I originally bought this flour for pizza dough when I bought two heavy baking stones for my oven. I was a total novice at the time, and the pizza dought came out superb. This is indeed the flour that is required for a true Neopolitan pizza, according to the international standard promulgated in Naples. When I found that I had a decent mastery of pizza dough, I decided to try my hand at baking ciabatta bread. Once one acquires the discipline to actually follow the recipe, even though the hydration ratio seems impossibly high; and once one has the confidence to attempt what seems like folding water, one will be rewarded with a truly magnificent ciabatta. The texture, the elasticity, and the airiness of the crumb are perfect, and the nutty flavor is addictive. I can't recommend this flour highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, May 10, 2011
This is what you need if you want to make not good, not great but beyond amazing pizza dough. I've been making pizza for a decade and I thought I know what I was doing and what to use... and then, I tried this flour. Wow! Big deference: it has more elasticity to it so makes for easier tossing, and then the taste... poems should be written about the taste.
I've learned about Antimo Caputo "00" flour on Taylor's Ultimate episode - the ultimate pizza, it's where he goes to NYC, then to Italy, Naples and learns how to make pizza dough. The Italian woman who is teaching him shows him this flour and says that this is the only kind that pizzerias throughout Naples use. `Nuff said.

5.0 out of 5 stars TASTE THE DIFFERENCE 🇮🇹 🇮🇹 🇮🇹, February 21, 2012
I took a cooking class when I visited Rome last year, and one of the things we made was fresh pasta. The chef/instructor explained that in Italy flour is classified as either as type 1, 0, or 00. This scale refers to how finely ground the flour is and how much of the bran and germ have been removed. The scale has nothing to do with the protein content - that is dependent on the type of wheat. Doppio Zero is the most highly refined - it resembles talcum powder - and is the choice of Italians for making both pizza and pasta.

After learning how easy it is to make pasta, I bought a pasta maker the minute got home, and have spent the past year perfecting my skills at making it - it's so fun and easy once you get the knack. I've been using all-purpose and semolina flours (or a blend of both) to make fresh pasta, and have been very happy with the results, but I decided to splurge on the authentic stuff. The first batch I made with the 00 flour took me back to that cooking class in Rome and the amazing silken pasta we made that day - the texture is noticeably different. I've also used the double-zero flour to make pizza dough, and the resulting crust was simply over the top.

All-purpose flour is a perfectly acceptable substitute for authentic Italian 00 flour, and it certainly costs a lot less, but if you're ready to take your pizza and pasta making skills to the next level, you owe it to yourself to give it a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars It really is as good as they say it is!, January 30, 2012
This flour makes dough that is so easy to form into a thin, flat pizza that it makes me cry that I've wasted years struggling with dough made from King Arthur's bread flour. What difference!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent pizza flour, July 29, 2011
Caputo has a reputation as being the best for pizza. I my experience it's well deserved. The dough is silky smooth, easy to stretch and tastes great.
I use a dead simple formula, 1000 g (one bag) Caputo, 630 grams water (63%), 20 grams sea salt and say 10 g of IDY. I get 8 210 gram balls which make 10-12 inch bases for use in a wood fired oven. The crust gets rave reviews.

beats anything I've bought at the supermarket (including KA all purpose). Haven't tried KA's 00 since I'm happy with Caputo and KA's is no cheaper after shipping.

This 10 bag price isn't too bad on price. I'd prefer a 50 lb bag, but the shipping is death.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Pizza Flour, August 14, 2011
Luca (Greensboro, NC USA) - See all my reviews
Made basic pizza dough from this flour and was taken aback by the rise of the dough. I made a simple Margherita pizza with San Marzano tomatoes and this dough on the grill using the Lodge cast iron pizza pan and I thought I was back in Italy. My results using typical American flour were always disappointing. If you want authentic Italian style pizza, you must use Italian ingredients. I love this flour and have it on autoship.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, perfect pizza dough!, July 2, 2011
I don't know what changed but I was no longer able to make a decent pizza dough using King Arthur flour even with dough conditioner.

After a several year hiatus I thought I'd give pizza making another try and I bought this flour. I watched a large number of videos of how to make pizza dough but in the end I decided to take a slightly different route.

I found that all of the recipes are unnecessarily complex. I add approximately 600 grams of flour to about 1 1/2 cups of water, 1/2 teaspoon of yeast and 1 teaspoon of ordinary salt. I don't add any oil or sugar.

I knead the dough using a Kitchen Aid mix with a dough hook and add flour until the dough is no longer sticky. I knead the dough at low speed for about 5 minutes. This flour rapidly develops a very smooth consistency. You don't have to knead it for longer amounts of time.

I then let the dough rise in a covered bowl for 2-4 hours and punch it down to remove all the air bubbles.

I divide the dough into 2 even pieces forming a ball. I put the balls into a very lightly oiled large covered plastic container and let it rise in the refrigerator for a minimum of 24 hours. Rising the dough in the refrigerator is critical. The dough seems to get wetter when it rises in the refrigerator so if your dough is a little bit on the dry side after kneading, don't worry about it.

The dough stretches out beautifully. It doesn't tear and you can make it paper thin (but I wouldn't recommend it).

I've been using a BBQ unit to bake the pizza. I get the BBQ unit up to around 800 degrees and the pizza cooks in just a few minutes. I've also cooked in an oven at 550 degrees and while the bake time is longer, the pizza still comes out perfectly.

I drizzle a bit of olive oil on the cheese. This give the cheese a nice stretchy texture. Don't add too much sauce or you'll get soggy pizza.

Where I live, there isn't a single place that serves a decent NYC style pizza. Mine comes close.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Papa John's, Domino's...not as good as Grimaldi's or John's Pizzeria in NYC., October 6, 2014
I had always made pizza at home either using regular flour, Boboli Ready-made shell or Pillsbury Pizza dough, and it never was the same as the pizzeria. Then finally read that the issue was the flour. I read some blogs, that this was the brand to buy. Needless to say, after buying this flour, the blogs were right! It's definitely the flour, as this gives it the chewy/crispy texture unlike the other flours you buy at the grocery store.

This is a MUST if you want to make pizza at home. If after reading this review, still buy regular flour, you really have only yourself to blame...

5.0 out of 5 stars My best pizza's, February 4, 2014
I reserve this flour for my very best pizza's. I love it also for making my pasta. The pizza's made with this flour and cooked in my WFO are just outstanding. The pasta made with flour rolls out so smoothly and tastes delicious..now it's also my favorite flour for pasta making. Easy for me to order and the shipping price is the best I can get and comes from the wonderful Taylor's Italian Market Deli.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Antimo Caputo Italian "00" Farina Flour 2.2lb Bags 10 Pack
$34.95
In stock. Usually ships within 2 to 3 days.