5.0 out of 5 stars Saved Grandma's Treasures! A Great Investment!
Published on September 19, 2003 by all4gizmo

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Organized
Published on March 7, 2011 by rebecca adams

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved Grandma's Treasures! A Great Investment!, September 19, 2003
"all4gizmo" (BROOKLYN, NY United States) - See all my reviews
A close friend recommended Mr. Russell's book when Grandma died and I had to take care of her estate which included thousands of books.I was clueless about books.Several "reputable" book stores in our area wanted to buy everything for pennies. I knew Grandma had spent thousands of dollars on her books that she loved dearly.So, I read Mr. Russell's book,studied the pictures, and started to learn the simple basics of collecting in language that I could understand. I realized that there were authors that Grandma read who had had their books banned.There were books that she owned by Ernest Trueblood and Edith Van Dyne which were pseudonyms for William Faulkner and L. Frank Baum.(Actually,it would have been helpful if there had been more information about the Oz books.) So,instead of getting ripped off and losing everything that Grandma had cherished for many years,I kept all of her books.Now, I can go into those same bookstores and buy books for pennies that are worth hundreds of dollars.Thank you for sharing your knowledge,Mr. Russell

5.0 out of 5 stars A Guide That's Worth the Money, September 22, 2003
By A Customer
So many times I have purchased books that promise the information I will need to be knowledgable about a subject. And so many times it is an empty promise.
Antique Trader Book Collector's Price Guide makes no empty promises. It's filled with accessible information that informs the reader on this complex subject. I've not found one easier to use.
If you are interested in collecting or selling books, this guide belongs in your library.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Addition...., January 29, 2006
Lighten up a little, guys. The book is THREE years old, fer chrissakes! NO book, even Ahreans, is going to cover everything AND continually be up-to-date on the fluctuations of the market (and market values), but each reference book you purchase adds a little something to your knowledge based, and this one does as well. The chapter on pseud.s adds yet another dimension to the book seller's (and/or collector's) knowledge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes it quick and easy to use this as a take-along tote for flea market ventures., October 14, 2006
The expanded new edition of a classic book collector's market guide provides full color and plenty of detail, updating prices for over 5,000 books and using charts to help identify first editions --which can be a tricky process, as publisher's marks vary from publisher to publisher. A new chapter on children's books has been added, while Top Ten lists of rarities and an alpha listing by author makes it quick and easy to use this as a take-along tote for flea market ventures.

Diane C. Donovan

California Bookwatch

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Researched, Tons of Information, September 19, 2003
I thoroughly enjoyed the price guide. Not only a listing of prices, the book's introductions to each category are insightful, well-written and provide other bookseller's thoughts on collecting.
The book is very well researched and the category on banned books is thorough, and the pen names of various authors was interesting, who knew some of these existed?? Certainly, Russell did, and I look forward to other editions as well researched and written as this one.
My only suggestion for the guide is I wished a children's literature section was available within it(perhaps, for future guides? :) Other than that, I recommend this book for collectors, wannabe collectors, writers and readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book Price Guide, September 25, 2009
RP (Newport Beach, CA) - See all my reviews
This is a great guide by the author who knows his field. Its divided by subject with rare finds and general books. Also contains authors signature pictures, abbreviations etc.

This is definitely a book price guide. Although not very thorough, nonetheless covers a wide range in what is large field.

I recommend this guide more than any other guide because the author is not really biased and definitely knows book business in general.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Organized, March 7, 2011
This review is from: Antique Trader Book Collector's Price Guide (Paperback)
This book was not what I expected at all. It is difficult to navigate through, and isn't organized very well. If you want to research a certain book inside this book, you literally have to play the guessing game on deciding what section of this book it is in since the table of contents is labeled, "Children's books, Americana, Horror, banned". Also, he lists several books in multiple sections of the book, all with different information. Most importantly, I think the author chose a poor way to organize his information and he should have just used the classic approach: an index. I would not recommend this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Warmed over info readily available elsewhere, September 19, 2003
"j_jeffries" (Roanoke Virginia USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this book hoping that it would add something new to the information available on book collecting. As a collector of antiquarian tomes for three decades, I am always interested in looking at books of this nature.
But this book disappoints. It's a mishmash of lists and information readily available elsewhere. The author is listening to some inner sense of direction which has little to do with the real book market or those who collect.
To be honest, any book that gives a list of collectible books has limited value. Any such list or lists are based on a single author's opinions. The world of books is far too complicated for a single volume to fill any real need. The Ahern volumes come closest.
If you are interesting in finding collectible books, you'd be far better off with the Ahern or McBride guides. In thened, this book will only disappoint.

2.0 out of 5 stars wasn't what I expected, June 7, 2013
MARY m LEIFER (MILWAUKEE, WISCONSIN, US) - See all my reviews
I hoped it would help me identify some old books I found but it didn't tell me anything about them.

4.0 out of 5 stars good book, February 7, 2013
This review is from: Antique Trader Book Collector's Price Guide (Paperback)
I would recommend this book. Good information and pictures. I wish they would have done their price guide differently. Would like to have seen more of a selection of books.

ARRAY(0xa9b4fa98)

Antique Trader Book Collector's Price Guide
Antique Trader Book Collector's Price Guide by Richard Russell (Paperback - December 11, 2009)
Used & New from: $3.75