5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible food, July 5, 2011
The recipes in this book are incredible - original, fairly simple, and amazingly flavorful. I cook a TON and trying new recipes is practically an addiction of mine, and the recipes in this book are some of the best I've tried, period. I recently cooked a huge dinner made entirely of recipes from this book - hibiscus margaritas, jicama and pineapple salad, guajillo pork chalupas, chili-lime-cotija corn on the cob, and three salsas - everything was amazing. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Original recipes, June 29, 2010
...for cooking Mexican. Everything I've made is yummy - the guacamole with tomatillo and peach is amazing as is the duck breast tostada. A happy addition to any kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that is both food and a magial personal history of Mexico, January 15, 2011
The book is a voyage into Mexico through Barbara Sibley's memoirs of each meal. The cover of the book does not express this personal aspect of the book and this is a shame because it is a lyrical journey as well as a cookbook. I actually READ a cookbook for the first time!

The recipes in this book are delicious, authentic and so easy. I appreciate that they are easy to follow since I am not a cook and most cookbooks are impossible!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Fiesta Food, May 6, 2013
Karen P Laux (Morrison, CO United States) - See all my reviews
When I first looked through the book I wanted to make many of the recipes but was a bit intimidated. I am so glad that I broke through my comfort zone. The first recipes that I tried were the Puebla Style Taquitos and the Kahlua Vanilla Flan - both were amazing! The instructions were easy to follow. I can't wait to try additional recipes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty Mexican food, March 29, 2013
This review is from: Antojitos: Festive and Flavorful Mexican Appetizers (Hardcover)
I am picky about cookbooks. I like how this one tells you a little something about each recipe giving you hints of how to make variations of each recipe. The book has nice pictures that makes you want to cook. The recipes are easy to follow and the ingredients are easy to get at most grocery stores. Every recipe that i have made so far and good and tasty. Nothing too hard here. Definitely recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth the purchase..., September 27, 2011
I really enjoyed the recipes I made so far from this cookbook. I am a believer that sometimes, the appetizers IS the meal rather than introduces the meal. In fact, my foodie friends and I had an appetizer party, and the mini burritos, mini tamales, and mini chicken tacos were a hit. I would definitely recommend this for those who enjoy ethnic street food like I do!

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely WOW, June 5, 2011
Last night I made a complete FEAST from this wonderful book to raves. Despite my limited experience in preparing Mexican food (my repertoire usually includes bagged products available in my New England hometown supermarket's "snack" aisle), the clear directions, lovely photos, and interesting commentary in this cookbook made my maiden voyage a rousing success.
You couldn't pick a better book if you are looking for menu ideas,recipes and instructions. The "small plate" idea is perfect. You can mix and match any of the recipes: cocktails (be sure to try the Tequila with a jalapeno sparked fresh-tomato/orange/pomegranate Sangrita) salads, sides, and main courses. Just be sure you invite enough good friends to share, or else you will find yourself repeating: "you should have been there to try the awesome dinner I made..."

5.0 out of 5 stars Appetizers with a Mexican Flair, April 25, 2014
Love the stories, love the recipes, this is an awesome tapas book. All the dishes I've made have met with much applause!

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprised by the Intricacy, December 29, 2013
Since I am an avid home cook and lover of Mexican food, I was looking for a cookbook with some more authentic, but still approachable, recipes than my Chevy's Mexican cookbook. This is a beautiful cookbook, with amazing photographs every 2-3 pages. However, I was definitely a bit misled by the cover image. I was expecting a book of tacos, tacquitos, and some other small bites. I think that, perhaps, these recipes are a bit more authentic than I had bargained for! Even though I absolutely love eating Mexican food and Mexican-style tapas in restaurants, I am not sure how likely I am to make many of these recipes, which often call for hard-to-find chiles and seasonings. The recipes themselves don't seem too difficult, but I think it would be exhausting to cook many of these dishes for a party.

Unless you live close to a city or a Mexican specialty store, I do not recommend this book. It will likely be difficult for you to source the necessary ingredients, and you might feel frustrated. Obviously, certain dried ingredients can be found online, but different varieties of chiles will be harder to locate. However, if you're up for a challenge and have access to specialty food stores and plentiful greenmarkets, this is definitely a beautiful and thoughtful cookbook filled with authentic recipes and interesting stories about Mexico.

5.0 out of 5 stars Antojitos Festive and Flavorful Mexican Appetizers, February 20, 2013
I live on South Padre Island in Texas. We have a huge Mexican population with a lot of restaurants. This cookbook has helped me prepare a lot of appetizers that I was only able to get in restaurants.

Antojitos: Festive and Flavorful Mexican Appetizers
Antojitos: Festive and Flavorful Mexican Appetizers by Barbara Sibley (Hardcover - October 6, 2009)
Used & New from: $10.03