4.0 out of 5 stars Pulled Through
Published on March 27, 2010 by T. R. Jackson

3.0 out of 5 stars Needed a lot of Editing
Wow. This is a story that had a ton of imagination behind it. The idea was definitely inspired, and for once a newer author allowed the characters plenty of free reign. The characters drive the action in this story, with their backstories and personalities meaning something.

Sadly, the story desperately needed someone who could have reigned in the...
Published on February 28, 2012 by Mvargus

4.0 out of 5 stars Pulled Through, March 27, 2010
T. R. Jackson "Troy girl" (Albuquerque, NM United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anvil of Tears (Reforged, Book 1) (Paperback)
This book was slow in the beginning but pulled through to capture my attention by the middle of the book. At first I was disappointed in the development of the characters. The authors use flashbacks for all of the characters. I would have liked less of this tedious detail relating to minor character, but I do see this helps establish the diversity of Anvil of Tears' universe. The magic (science) of the White Kingdom was very brief and yet the reader learns this world contrasted greatly to that of the Alliance worlds. I hope the second book will divulge more of the lost worlds. I liked Maeve- this winged fairy was especially arresting. Learning more about what happened to her turned the pages for me. Coldhand was slower to emerge but now I'm ready to find out more about what makes him tick. This book makes you imagine how magical kingdoms might be forced to mesh with typical high science worlds. All in all, an enjoyable read. Bring on the next book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Needed a lot of Editing, February 28, 2012
Mvargus (Spring Valley, CA) - See all my reviews

Sadly, the story desperately needed someone who could have reigned in the writers.

Early chapters are flooded with "info-dumps" where several pages suddenly start explaining the planet the heroes are visiting, or some aspect of the technology in the universe. This left the story rather disjointed, and the early chapters do not flow very well.

Later the info-dumps diminish, only to be replaced by multiple page flashbacks. The flashbacks are solidly written, tell rather complete tales, and probably would have been much better as their own seperate stories, in building towards this tale. Some of them were definitely necessary to help reveal the personalities, but others again disrupt the flow of the story.

The biggest problem though was the characters themselves. Maeve and Coldhand both possess damaged psyches and events from their past drive their actions throughout the story. This could have worked very well, but both are rather unsympathetic due to the extremely unflattering ways they are described. Maeve as a broken junkie who refuses to allow anyone to become her friend and Coldhand's quiet madness due to the injuries that left him with a cybernetic heart and hand.

And of course, as the first book of a trilogy, only a couple minor plot threads come to any kind of closure or completion. The ending was more of a place that the story ran out of steam than a clear stopping point.

Overall, this is not a very good book. The writers have lots of talent and the story is impressive in its complexity and scope, but an editor was needed to weed out all of the asides that show up as info-dumps and flashbacks, and to tighten up the revelatoins of backstories so that they smoothly fit into the story rather than overwhelming the middle part of the story. Even the appearance of the major antagonists could be improved as the enemy appears out of nowhere about 40% into the book.

The sequel will be interesting, hopefully the authors will be less inclined to throw extra information at the reader but will continue to allow their characters to grow as the story develops.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hold on, it'll grab you and not let go., January 30, 2014
All the best roller coasters start off slow. Stick with this one to the first big hill. The ride is worth it.

If I had a shelf for "classic space opera," then this title would be proudly displayed there. Sadly, there isn't enough great space opera being written to devote a whole shelf for it.. That's why this was such a delightful find.

The world-building is vivid, the grand sweeping galactic history is rich and interesting, and the characters are unforgettable. Their choices aren't always good, but they're always driven by real emotion, and once things get moving, there's plenty of action to keep the plot lively. The narrative was a lot heavier on tell than show for my tastes, but it still caught my interest early and held me all the way to the very satisfying ending.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting tale...., June 29, 2011
Anvil of tears is quite an interesting read... I can't help but feel that this long tale is missing the vital input of a great editor and would've benefitted greatly from this. The characters and plot unfold slow and a little clunky. The story is darker than I expected but holds up well to a new universe of rim world magic vs. core world science. There are classic battles weaved in throughout the tale - life vs. death, love vs. hate, magic vs. science, guilt vs. shame - and what happens when you are a survivor of a race that the seemingly whole universe seems to discriminate against. Finding out about each of the characters through first person "flash backs" was simply annoying and unfortunately these picked up greatly towards the end of the book. They managed to get both more interesting and annoying.

How Maeve ever managed to obtain any kind've rank on a ship is anyone's guess. She spends more time fighting, running or seeking drugs than anything else. Logan/Coldhand the bounty hunter hot on the trail of Maeve clearly has more questions than answers and while he lacks "feeling" of at least 80% of his physical and emotional ability to feel he's questioning almost all of her motives and actions - both from the present chase and events from the past year... For a hardcore bounty hunter you'd think he'd be more on top of the "lack of emotion what does it all mean without honor" thing.

One of the most interesting parts of the book was the crew of the ship Blue Phoenix, while we find out how and why most are on the ship - we don't know why they even care about Maeve and what's next for them is evidently going to be left to tell in other books. There was a lot of time invested in the "getting to know" the rest of the crew back stories and they were simply dropped off for the main plot a little over halfway through the book. Tiberius, the captain of the ship, clearly has a knack for finding, hiring and nursing back to health strays that stay on to become part of his team. Unbelievably, a few tie back into the main plot.

Overall this was an interesting and long read. I was disappointed in the rapid ending after such a long and slow build up. It seemed not in keeping with the rest of the book. There was so much time spent in the novel on building the setting/universe that it would be interesting to see what the second installment is like...

3.0 out of 5 stars The End is Worth the Read, August 8, 2011
It took me awhile to get into this book. I'm not typically a sci-fi reader, but since it was free I thought I'd give it a try. At one point, about a third of the way through, I put it aside for something else, but then picked it up again. I'm glad I did. From about halfway to the end it was a great read. Maeve was a complex buy sympathetic enough character to keep me interested. I like the way the different threads were pulled together in the end.

What didn't I like? The "bad guys" just kind of appeared about halfway through the book. You begin thinking the enemy is going to be one group, but they just get pushed to the background for another set and become a non-factor. It left me wondering why a big deal was made of them to begin with. Did I enjoy the book? Yes. Did I empathize with the main character? Yes. But did it leave at the end wondering where the antagonists came from? Yes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Long winded and frustrating., April 15, 2013
While I typically love sci-fi and fantasy stories and allow them a lot of freedom to roam I found this book to be rather jumbled, confusing and wordy but with great potential. The concept is definitely interesting and fairly unique, at least compared to what I have read so far. Futuristic and fanciful its reminiscent of Firefly in its gritty portrayal of the human (and other species) struggle to survive on their path to self destruction. In fact I found myself somewhat imagining a hunky Nathan Fillion with a cybernetic arm soaring through space.... but I digress.

While I admit there is potential here the sheer wordy descriptiveness of every single scene is a bit overwhelming.... Yes we get it Stray is hot and dusty I don't need it expressed every time someone steps out of the ship. Please authors let our imagination have some room. Also all the flashbacks and repetitiveness of said flashbacks made my eyes cross. Eventually I started skipping anything in italics because it would just be explained or deduced later anyway.

Like other reviewers said the fact that the real baddies don't appear until almost halfway into the book is just foolish. The twists were also predictable and drawn out.

I expected better from an e-book of this price. There were many typos, grammatical errors and sentences that were missing half its content. Really for three bucks a pop someone should have gone over the file before selling it.

I am very torn about buying the sequel. On one hand I am dying to know what the heck happens cause the lengthy book just sort of ends but on the other I don't know if I would rather have the e-book or a soda.

5.0 out of 5 stars anvil of tears, April 23, 2012
This was a very good book. In fact, I have read it twice and recommend it. I will buy more of this author's books.

4.0 out of 5 stars You keep on reading, March 27, 2012
As said above...this book starts off slow but once the introductions have been made, the pace picks up and the book becomes a real page turner. I went so far as to read about 8 hours straight to reach the ending from midway. Combine that with it being a free book and I can see no reason not to pick this up if you're into science fiction stories. Even if you're not, this book stays very close to our world. Everything is described in such a way that it seems plausible that this could happen, making the fantasy so very real.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bring on the next one please, July 25, 2011
Scott G. Daniel (Tucson, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
Along with In the House of Five Dragons this book is awesome. Only reason I give it four stars instead of five is that the number of characters was a bit overwhelming and made the whole thing a bit fragmentary at times. But the characters are interesting and well-wrought. Same with the fascinating universe and the mixture of science and magic.

The twist at the end is great for books like these. Nothing simple like "Yay, the good guys won!" The fairy girl could have been a bit less pouty but I guess that was her character.

All in all, a book that was hard to put down and I can't wait for more like it!

4.0 out of 5 stars A bounty hunter tale with psychological twists., October 1, 2014
wbentrim (Bucks County, PA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Anvil of Tears by Erica Lindquist and Aron Christensen

This is a tale of civilization lost and survivors guilt. Maeve, a fairy, is pursed by an implacable bounty hunter driven by the challenge of a "mark" wanted for genocide.

Logan Coldhand is dealing with his own survivor's guilt as his truncated body and mind struggle to maintain his sanity. His chase of Maeve is based as much on the challenge as the ridiculously high bounty.

Maeve Cavainna is running from her past and making every effort to manipulate her future.

The plot of the story has two guilt ridden protagonists surrounded by both enemies and friends. The setting is a galactic civilization that encompasses a variety of sentient beings. The remnants of Maeve's race are the down trodden pariahs. A cult of death prays on the downtrodden of all races and ends up crossing both Logan Coldhand and Maeve Cavainna, a glass knight. Mayhem and action ensue in the dark religious clash.

A bounty hunter tale with psychological twists.

I recommend it.

Web: http://www.benbova.com/

Anvil of Tears (Reforged, Book 1)
Anvil of Tears (Reforged, Book 1) by Erica Lindquist (Paperback - September 9, 2009)
$13.99 $13.13