4.0 out of 5 stars Rockier and different, but not a sophomore slump
Published on June 17, 2012 by musicfan

3.0 out of 5 stars was expecting more...
Published on June 6, 2012 by Heath J. Ward

4.0 out of 5 stars Rockier and different, but not a sophomore slump, June 17, 2012
This review is from: Anxiety (Audio CD)
I loved Ladyhawke's first album and couldn't wait to hear her new one. I was hoping for a continuation of the debut's catchy songs and synthy music, but with more guitars and rock sound. Well, I got part of what I was hoping for. This album is more rock, it has a lot of fuzzy guitars. But the songs aren't as immediately catchy or memorable as the debut. People are calling this her 90s nostalgia album. I've never been a big fan of 90s music, just a handful of artists and albums from that era. This is better than a lot of 90s music. I can hear a mixture of influences. She hasn't completely abandoned the 80s. There are some moments that recall them, sprinkled somewhat sparingly throughout. I know that if she made another album like the first, some people would be saying she was stuck in the 80s and unable to create anything else. But her debut was awesome. This one is good in a different way.

After not being blown away by the first two singles and reading mixed reviews, I went into the cd half expecting to be disappointed, but half still expecting songs like her debut. On first listen, I was a little disappointed. Several songs seemed to drag a bit, and there weren't really any big catchy choruses. Her voice sounds the same, which is a good thing. There were about 5 songs I liked, and the album's last few tracks are strong. It made me want to replay it. It started to grow on me.

Girl Like Me-The first time I played it, I thought it was a little draggy, and not very catchy. I thought it was weak for an opening track. But it grew on me quickly, getting stuck in my head during the second and third listen. It's one of my favorite songs on the album. It's a cool sounding song. 5/5

Sunday Drive-I had already heard a version of this online and wasn't too keen on it. I like this song, but I'm not crazy about it. I think the verses are good but the chorus isn't as strong as one would hope for. The plunking keys are a little annoying at times, especially at the beginning. 3/5

Black, White, & Blue-I'd already heard this one too, and not loving it like when I first heard Magic and My Delirium. I like it, though. It's one of the best songs on the album, with a catchier pop melody. 5/5

Vaccine-This one is okay, gets a little better with repeated listens. One of the more "90s" tunes. 3/5

Blue Eyes-This song stood out to me when first playing the album. It's catchy, but it doesn't seem to get much better with repeated plays. 4/5

Vanity-This song is okay also, but somewhat annoying with the repeated "vani-tay, vanitay-ya-ya". I like the music though. It's just pretty repetitive lyrically. 3/5

The Quick & the Dead-An album review said this song sounded like Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust" mixed with another song. When I listened to it, I could hear that, but the song it sounded most like is Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger". It sounds like a mix of the two. It's probably one of the biggest 80s nostalgia sounds on the album. I especially like the "Eye of the Tiger" vibe. But it's one of my least favorites on the album. 3/5

Anxiety-Lyrically, I can relate a little as I have dealt with anxiety myself. The music is interesting, and the song gets better with repeated plays. 4/5

Cellophane-Ah, here we have the best song on the album, the type we were expecting on a Ladyhawke album. Someone compared it to "Heroes" by David Bowie. As I listened to it the first time, it didn't sound like that song to me. But I understood their point that it was trying to be an anthem-type song. It succeeds. It's one of those songs that sounds like a movie theme, much like "Crazy World" does. It's definitely THE stand out track of the album. Even fans who hate the album will most likely love this one song. It's the kind of song that moves you, transports you to another level. If only the album had a few more moments like this. 10/5

Gone Gone Gone-This one is catchy pop-rock and doesn't have that draggy quality some of the tracks have. I liked it from the start. 5/5
It would be a fitting closer to the album, but, there is a hidden bonus song that plays about a minute after this one. I was so happy to hear an extra song. It's "Human", a song that someone had said was left off the record. Surprise surprise, it is indeed here! And it is a good song. It's catchy and another little pop rocker. 5/5

If you're looking for a carbon copy of the debut, you will be disappointed. It is different from what most of us fans were hoping for. But it isn't bad. It is pretty good, at times great. Just take it for what it is...a very enjoyable pop/rock album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Great Music, September 19, 2012
This review is from: Anxiety (MP3 Music)
I recently stumbled upon LadyHawke, and I am so glad I did! I instantly became a fan. I know this may sound quite odd; but, I feel like I'm immersed into a vintage James Bond movie when I listen to her Anxiety album. Perhaps there's just an earnest expectation that there's more beneath the surface of perceived reality, and when Ladyhawke delivers - I'm surprised, captured, and blown away. Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ladyhawke Soars Higher on Album #2, May 29, 2012
This review is from: Anxiety (MP3 Music)
Ladyhawke, like Mynabirds and The Pretenders before her, is a clever name to cloak a one woman show - and what a show it is. If Lykke Li decided to record a Black Keys album, that gives you just a hint of the magic you'll hear here. Hats off to Amazon for making this import album available and affordable to Ladyhawke's feverish fans in the States. I downloaded it at work and rocked out to it all the way home. It begins with a fury and never lets up. If you liked Magic, Paris is Burning and My Delirium from the first album, the follow-up will knock your socks clean off. Pip has a sultry voice and she wraps it around phat, sputtering beats; dark, grimy guitars and sinister synths. The music is edgy, melodic, with loads of interesting twists and turns.

If you like Robyn, Kerli, Annie, Lykke Li, Lily Allen, Orianthi, The Black Keys, The Dead Weather, Amanda Mair or just fresh, hot music - give this one a spin.

UPDATE: now that I've spun this delicious disc for a solid day - here are some amendments to the above list: Hardcore-era Pulp, Elastica, Republica, Sleeper, Black Cherry-era Goldfrapp - all swirled together into a truly original Ladyhawke sound. This is an intense album - perfect to play loud while you drive fast (at posted speeds, of course).

5.0 out of 5 stars Haters gonna Hate, This is a Good Album., June 7, 2013
This review is from: Anxiety (MP3 Music)
Heard this Album first, never heard of her until one of the online music players threw this on, I was like "What/Who/When/Where was This!! I Must Get This!!" Then I went to Amazon to buy it, scrolled down to the comments section, and all these comments about "how its not good as the first album", "songs sound the same" ..."i dont..blah..blah..blah..". I Loved it, and I hope it gets more out there so people who love Music can enjoy this. Heard First album, Love That one Too. Great Artist, Great Find! So take a chance, workout with it, drive with it, or jam at work with it. Thanks for Your Time.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 stars... Rocking and stomping from start to end, October 15, 2012
This review is from: Anxiety (Audio CD)
Ladyhawke (real name: Pip Brown) released a delicious self-titled debut album in 2008, with 80s-oriented dance tracks, none more than "Paris Is Burning". After touring, and more touring, and then well-deserved time off, now finally comes her second album. Has it really been 4 years already?

"Anxiety" (10 tracks, plus 1 "hidden" song; 40 min.) starts of with a romping, if wistful, "Girl Like" (with the chorus lines "Between the devil and the deep blue see/I saw you dancing with a girl like me/I watched in silence as you held her hand/Sold down the river for a girl like me", wow). The sound is edgier than on the debut album, less dance and more rock-oriented. "Black Whie & Blue" might be ABBA if they started now instead of 30+ years ago. "Vaccine" reminded me of Shea Seger 10 years ago. The best song on the album for me is track 5 "Blue Eyes", sounding like Sheryl Crow on steriods with a bunch of irresistable "Na Na Na Na Naaaaa" singalongs along with some biting guitar riffs. If mainstream commercial radio were any good (which of course it isn't), this song could/should be a massive radio hit. I rate the first half of the album a perfect 5 stars, yes it is that good! The second half of the album starts off with "Vanity", another great sing-along tune. "The Quick and the Dead" slows the tempo a bit, and reminds me of Garbage. The title track starts off with the lines "I take a pill to help me through the day/I sray inside until I feel ok", ha! "Cellophane" is the only slow track on here. About a minute after the 'offical' closing track "Gone Gone Gone" finishes, there is a 'hidden' track ("Human To Me"?), not sure why this was not offically credited. I rate the second half of the album a solid 4 stars.

In all, what a fantastic album this is, and sure to end up in my "best of" year-end albums list. What a shame that such a talented artist like Ladyhawke cannot find the mainstream cross-ver succes she definitely deserves. I hope to get a chance to see her bring these songs in concert at some point. Meanwhile, "Anxiety" is HIGHLY, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Rock album from Ladyhawke!!!, July 4, 2012
This review is from: Anxiety (Audio CD)
This one is different from the first. Production values are better, and it switches from bittersweet to happy to hardrockin on a dime.
I read somewhere online that Pip Brown said that while the first album was a tribute to Stevie Nicks, this one is a homage of sorts to David Bowie.
That rings true for me, but she is in no way copying or rehashing. This stuff is very original sounding.
Surprisingly the songs that were pushed by her record company/Modular/Casablanca ("Sunday Drive" & "Black White and blue") are the least exciting...but still very good songs. "Girl like me", "Blue Eyes", "The Quick and the Dead", & "Vaccine", are the big winners. This album reminds me of the best of Luscious Jackson, Marylin Manson, Bowie, Republica, and other melodic rockers.
If you liked the first album, you'll probably like this one. She's one in 7 Billion. Check her out. It's good time music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another instant classic from Ladyhawke!, June 9, 2012
This review is from: Anxiety (MP3 Music)
This album is fantastic, another wonderful Cornucopia of infectiously catchy grooves from the best Female Artist working today imho. "Blue Eyes", "Gone, Gone gone", and the title track "Anxiety", are already ingrained in my head, and I mean that in a GOOD way. I Love her debut album, and this is shaping up to be the perfect sequel - my only complaint is, it's taking way to long to be fully released, it was originally scheduled for October '011, then March '012, then May, now June - I'm glad to have the MP3, but I'm irritated to STILL be waiting for the CD and LP I ordered to ship! This isn't Ladyhawke's doing, she wants it available legally as much as her fans do. It's an idiotic decision made by the Label Suits, that only serves to promote Piracy. But this record is definitely worth the wait, and I hope all of Her Fans will purchase it legally as soon as possible, and spread the word about this great Artist, she truly deserves our support!

4.0 out of 5 stars Even better than her debut!, May 29, 2012
Denim (Bethlehem,PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anxiety (MP3 Music)
This album is amazing! If you like her debut, you'll like this one even more. The songs just stick in your head all day! Hopefully more people will catch on to this great artist!

3.0 out of 5 stars was expecting more..., June 6, 2012
This review is from: Anxiety (MP3 Music)
the first few playthroughs were fun and exciting. the production quality is very good, as her voice can be heard clearly over the various drums, synths, and samples. there are a handful of fun and quirky keyboards in each track, and the drum beats are solid. but most of the tracks get old rather quickly, unlike her debut album. there is less variety in "Anxiety", and it seems as though Pip Brown and Pascal Gabriel just ran out of ideas and were trying too hard. "Cellophane" may be the best song she has ever written, while tracks like "Anxiety" and "Vanity" are nothing more than ordinary. "The Quick and the Dead" is a heavy rocker, and "Black, White and Blue" is a catchy tune that we may actually hear on American radio one of these days. but overall, i am rather disappointed...as it pales in comparison to the energy and soul in "My Delirium", "Magic", and "Another Runaway".

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't go wrong here!, August 19, 2012
This review is from: Anxiety (MP3 Music)
I love every song on this album, usually I listen mostly to rock, but Ladyhawke is one of the few artists outside of my normal genre's that I absolutely love.

Anxiety
Anxiety by Ladyhawke (Audio CD - 2012)
Rate and Discover Movies