5.0 out of 5 stars The single most helpful book for anyone with phobias/anxiety
If you or someone you know suffers from a panic disorder, anxiety, OCD, or phobias (especially agoraphobia and social phobias), you must read this book. It is THE best source of information and practical help I have ever seen on the subject.
Published on July 6, 2001 by JohnDopp

1.0 out of 5 stars Mild diversion, but no more. An alternative recommendation.
I have suffered from panic attacks for 15 years. I read and utilized this workbook over five years ago. It was a temporary diversion, but not much help above that.
Published on April 12, 2004 by B. Alstrom

5.0 out of 5 stars The single most helpful book for anyone with phobias/anxiety, July 6, 2001
This review is from: The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook (Paperback)
The book contains a wide array of topics: causes of anxiety, coping with attacks, pharmaceutical treatments, holistic treatments, psychological approaches, nutrition, relaxation, where to find support, how to give support... the book would be worth triple its price just for the richness of information Dr. Bourne has compiled.
Add to that the excellent workbook exercises and techniques, and you have a truly indispensable resource.
I was very pleased with the presentation of the material. This book is not overflowing with warm and fuzzy, touchy-feely reassurances like many "self-help" books. Instead, it has proven, practical, self-paced techniques and exercises which you can use in your daily life, presented in a clear and easy-to-digest format. It's not a dry textbook, and it's not a bit of pop-psychology fluff -- this is a powerful tool for anyone whose quality of life has diminished because of anxiety and fear.
Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked miracles, November 20, 2003
Lady Ash (Spartanburg, SC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook (Paperback)
When I bought this book (for my best friend, who was having panic attacks) I was suffering from severe depression and anxiety. I had been professionally diagnosed, was in therapy, and was on medication; this had helped markedly, but I was still moderately to severely depressed and/or anxious every day. This book helped me get better in a surprisingly short period of time because it is specific, explanatory, and practical. Rather than relying only on one technique (like _Feel Good_'s cognitive therapy approach), it has chapters on nutrition, exercise, visualization, cognitive therapy, mistaken beliefs, emotional needs, spiritual angst, and medication. A diagnostic questionaire in the first chapter helps you to determine which chapters will help you the most.
I especially liked the fact that the book was interactive AND specific. When you're depressed, it can be hard to respond to open-ended prompts like "describe some situations that make you anxious". The prompts in this book are usually "check all that apply", True-False, "rate from 1-5" etc, which is easier to do even if part of you is resistant. Also -- every chapter ended with a checklist of, well, homework. Many books on depression and anxiety left me *knowing* more (or thinking I did) but not changing anything -- just wishing things would change! This book helped me to assume responsibility for my own role in recovering, and gave me the tools (in simple steps!) to do it.
I have given this book to at least five other people suffering from panic attacks, perfectionism, social phobia, and generalized anxiety disorder, and they ALL, also, found it extremely helpful.
The book may not help everyone, but it acknowledges this -- occasionally it points readers in other possible directions (bibliographies at the end of each chapter encourage readers to learn more about anger, co-dependence, depression, etc, if indicated). Definitely a good place to start for anyone with anxiety difficulties of any kind. Also, don't rule it out if you have depression -- your depression might be (like mine) the inevitable result of too much anxiety.

5.0 out of 5 stars It can really help!, May 25, 2005
Holly Wade (St. Louis, MO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook (Paperback)
I recently developed a phobia to driving on highways, one in particular. It was really bothersome and disruptive and I was angry and confused because of my reaction every time I tried to go somewhere on that route. I felt like I might "pass out" or otherwise lose control as a result of my panic reaction. The first thing this book made clear to me was that it is physiologically impossible for your body to "pass out" or otherwise lose control during a panic attack. Your blood pressure is too high to do so, and the actual emotional state is truely one of control, not the opposite, to do so. You are not going to pass out or otherwise lose control of the situation. When you feel out of control in a panic attack, you are actually in a state of high control. You must realize that and remind yourself of that fact. I used a method they mentioned, putting a rubber band on my left wrist when driving that route, and smacking myself with it whenever I felt overwhelmed. It worked. The first time I took that drive, I had 5-6 rubberband whelts on my left arm, but I drove it, I got to my destination and the panic issue was gone. I now drive that highway on a regular basis. Even if you don't do all of the exerercises in the book, you will experience results and resolution. It's worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets you back on the horse..., December 17, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook (Paperback)
This is a wonderful book that helps you to understand anxiety at it's root and how to overcome it. I found it VERY enlightening and easy to understand. I think the most important thing the book does is help you to understand where anxiety comes from, and that you are NOT alone -- 1/3 of our society suffers from some form of anxiety. I also found the nutritional aspects very interesting as well (sometimes it's as simple as altering your diet or getting more of a certain vitamin or amino acid).
A few of years ago, out of the blue, I suddenly began having panic attacks. I found this book by chance, at a bookstore (I knew I made a good choice when the cashier went on and on about how much it helped her) and I am very grateful I found it when I did. Had I not overcome my fears, I would have missed out on many wonderful things that my anxiety would have prevented me from experiencing -- including traveling to Europe. During that difficult year, just imagining a 9-hour flight used to bring up all sorts of anxieties. I decided I could not let this fear stand in the way of a once-in-a-lifetime experience, so when the time came, I took a little GABA (an amino acid recommended in the book) and packed a tiny notebook with helpful things from the workbook in my bag. However, truth be told, I never needed to open that notebook because of the way the book re-trains your mind to THINK... you can "talk yourself out of attacks" when you feel them coming on. I am happy to say that, not only did I make that first trip overseas, I went on a second overseas trip the following year (this time to Greece!). Thanks to this book, I have not had a panic attack in almost three years.
I highly recommend this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mild diversion, but no more. An alternative recommendation., April 12, 2004
This review is from: The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook (Paperback)
I continued to suffer until my anxiety and panic attacks virtually rendered me unable to drive, which of course leaves one unable to do much of anything. So my agoraphobic self startd reading every panic book on the market in addition to medication and therapy. I found all of the books to be out of touch with what I was feeling. They contained, as this one does, great clinical explanations, alternative therapies, etc. But that does not help in the middle of a panic attack. Then I attended an anxiety group meeting and was overwhelmed at the number of people who said "Read Claire Weekes!" Her books were old, so I hadn't bothered with them, I was sooooooooo wrong.
If you suffer, PLEASE read Dr. Claire Weekes books. She wrote two quite a number of years ago, so the jargon is outdated but her approach is anything but.
Her books are the only panic books on the market that can be read in the middle of an attack and actually help. In addition, absorb what she writes, listen to it, learn from it and you will be able to live at peace with your panic attacks because they stop coming. Not a cure, really, I don't think there is one. But it's the closest thing to a magic pill we anxiety sufferers have, aside from xanax. And Dr. Weekes is better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helps you understand and heal, March 8, 2002
This review is from: The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook (Paperback)
This book was extremely helpful to me in overcoming problems with anxiety. It has great factual information that helped me to learn more about anxiety, its causes, the different types, the symptoms, etc. It also has an extremely thorough and comprehensive program to help overcome anxiety, including advice on exercise, diet, medication, therapy, self-talk exercises, relaxation, affirmations, spirituality ... truly a broad and multi-faceted approach to a sticky problem.
I think one of the best things about the workbook is how it makes you realize you're not alone -- that anxiety is a widespread problem, that your symptoms are familiar and documented, and that they can be treated and even cured.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly excellent, February 15, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook (Paperback)
No potential reader will regret purchasing this book. But not only for its handling of anxiety and panic attack issues (which is does superbly), but for its handling of a number of other very important issues as well: self-esteem, life purpose, negative thinking, etc.
My sincere thanks and compliments to Dr. Bourne. This book, even just upon an initial skimming, is extremely comforting, immediately putting to rest the fear many anxious people must have that they are somhow "alien" and different from other people. One is very quickly reassured (& convinced) that all of these troubling symptoms are just the result of past and/or present stresses and are very largely treatable. And once you get past the "what's wrong with me that I feel this way" thinking, it becomes just a matter of having the tools and the will. The tools, certainly, are brilliantly presented by this book, in a clear, organized, "non-groovy" manner I greatly appreciated.
My compliments also for the handling of the spiritual approach, which Dr. Bourne admits may be somewhat off-putting to certain readers. He manages however to present this approach in an admirably non-biased way, as simply an optional approach to be considered if the reader wishes.
I agree wholeheartedly with another reviewer who felt this book to be a classic in the making. Really a superb book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read and apply, October 24, 2004
dqb (Bellevue, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook (Paperback)
I found that this workbook was perfect for me because it taught me what anxiety is, how it's triggered, and how phobias play a role in this. It was especially helpful to read chapters focused solely on nutrition, spirituality, exercise, overcoming negative self-talk, and medication (medical and alternative). As I am learning to work through anxiety, I continue to come back to the workbook for reassurance and help.

5.0 out of 5 stars NO FLUFF AND NONSENSE, JUST SOUND, PRACTICLE ADVICE!, September 5, 2001
Sandra D. Peters "Seagull Books" (Prince Edward Island, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook (Paperback)
As a counsellor, I was very impressed with the layout and content of this book. It does not contain a lot of patronizing fluff, but contains sound practicle advice presented in an interesting and helpful format. If you or someone you know suffers from anxiety or phobias, this valuable workbook can be a lifeline to those in need. The exercises and techniques covered in the workbook take an inside look at anxiety and cover issues such as holistic treatments, nutrition and relaxation (key issues in treating anxiety)various psychological factors and overviews, and finally, support.
For the price, the book is quite complete. The results, however, can only be measured by the amount of time, energy and commitment the reader puts forth to making the workbook effective. It is important to remember life-long changes do not occur over a short period of time, and the desired end results will only be seen through self-discipline and long-term commitment. Unfortunately, there are no quick cures for anxiety or phobias, but this book has the potential to help deal with the issues related to these problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars A life saver!, December 10, 2004
This review is from: The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook (Paperback)
This book was an enormous help to me. Knowing why we do what we do definately helps. I have highlighted marks all through my book and carried it with me like a Bible. If you suffer from panic attacks, seperation anxiety, GAD, depression, PTSD, OCD, seasonal affect disorder or agoraphobia this book can change your life!

The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook
The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook by Edmund J. Bourne (Paperback - November 15, 2000)
Used & New from: $0.01