Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on March 3, 2012
I want to tell anyone that is currently struggling with anxiety and panic attacks, phobias, or ocd issues that there is a way to recover and take back your life and this book is the vehicle to get you there. This book literally has changed my life and I know it will change yours too. I promise you that if you read this book and follow the exercises, you will get better. I have personally struggled with anxiety and panic attacks for over 20 years, I've tried numerous therapists and so many different medications I've lost count. I was even told at one point that I had bipolar disorder. Nothing worked and I found myself at a point that I literally felt like I had no other options to get well. I had no choice but to take it upon myself to help myself. I had to do something different, and I had to do it now. When I started reading the book I was completely agoraphobic, depressed, constantly anxious, and having panic attacks to the point I felt like I couldn't go on any longer. I am 60 days into applying what I learned in the workbook and my life has completely turned around for the better. I am the happy, positive, loving person that I knew existed deep down but feared was gone. I now feel I can do and accomplish anything I set my mind to. It will be a lifestyle change for many, as this recovery will affect you on mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual levels. This book really attacks your issues at every angle possible, from eating the correct foods, to relaxation methods, and tips to stop panic attacks just to name a few. Believe me, through a little hard work-you will get your life back and be the person you want to be.
God Bless and Good Luck!
66 comments| 229 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 12, 2000
This book is superb. It is the best book on Anxiety that I have read. I have suffered from OCD, depression and anxiety my whole life, and this book taught me more then I learned with most of the therapists. If you are suffering, BUY THIS BOOK, and work on it. You will find advice & relief and hope :)
22 comments| 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 16, 2011
I use this text in therapy all of the time. It's a great workbook for helping the client gain a better understanding root causes and thoughts related to anxiety and phobias.
It's also great for home use as well for those not in treatment.
on November 3, 2014
I would highly recommend this book however beware of some of his recommendations.

On the section about Nutrition he mentions this theory about acidity and alkalinity in the human body and how we should eat to balance this process out. Well according to this, this entire theory is bunk:

(If the above doesn't show search "Acid/Alkaline Theory of Disease is Nonsense by Mirkin in Quackwatch.)

Also he recommends that one get a Hair Mineral Analysis testing done to reveal deficiencies in one's body for minerals, again this was singled out as quackery:

Check out:
(If the above doesn't post search "Commercial Hair Analysis: Cardinal Sign of Quackery" by Barrett"

The author also recommends supplementing with Kava for help with anxiety.

Well Kava has actually been banned in Europe due to liver toxicity:

See,

(In case the above doesn't show search "Medline Plus - Kava")

...

So overall, I would highly recommend this book, but don't automatically believe in everything he recommends and mentions.

Then read under Safety Concerns.
33 comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 23, 2011
This workbook is slowly taking me into myself to find out where my stress is coming from and how to deal with it. I highly recommend this book for anyone who has anxiety, fears or panic attacks.
on March 1, 2014
For over 15 years, I have suffered from an extreme fear of vomit. People vomiting, myself vomiting, the smell of vomit, the sound, etc. For over 15 years I have been able to easily avoid it (I even considered living a solo life and not have kids because I didn't want to encounter it).
5 years ago I got married and we immediately had a baby. It wasn't until 2.5 years ago that my first child vomited. It was terrible for me. I couldn't sleep. I couldn't eat. I couldn't function for weeks. I was so afraid of it happening again that is controlled my life.
6 months later, my other child got a stomach bug and vomited roughly 15 times in 6 hours. Again, it was awful for me, but I stood by his side and did my job. I couldn't function normally for months afterwards because I had extreme fear that it would happen again.
4 months ago my older son got sick again and this time it was the worst for me. Even though he only vomited twice, It took me over 2 months to get over my anticipatory anxiety. I felt hopeless that I could never get over this. I knew it was irrational, but I still couldn't shake my feelings.
Then I found this book. I only read about 1/3 of it but it has helped me TREMENDOUSLY. It made me aware of what triggers my fear, why I have it, and how I can fix it.
I was put to the test this week when two people who live with us came down with a stomach bug. I was slightly nervous at first, but I never had a panic attack and never had fearful anticipation! It was a huge relief to discover that I can conquer my fear and that this book had done what I had hoped.
I don't believe my fear is fully gone, but it's a great start and I will continue to read it and work on kicking my fear to the curb!

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS ONE!
on May 4, 2011
can't say enough about this book!! ever have anxiety? ever had a panic attack? are you human? you need this book as it definitlety describes anxiety and panic disorders as well as stress and what it does to your body with worksheets to help you recognize and treat depression and anxiety!!! excellent, excellent book!!! --sunshinemacaroni
on September 21, 1999
I agree completely with everybody about the value of this book. The author is so smart, and such a good writer, I get the feeling he could have done anything he wanted, and I feel great gratitude that he has chosen to devote his talents to helping some of the most suffering people in the world. After all, emotional suffering can be much worse than physical suffering, IMHO.
The point I feel I need to add is that this book is not just for those who have panic attacks or phobias, its for anybody who feels that fear has too much control over them, and for anybody who is more than mildly shy. Shyness that holds you back and makes you feel like you're not getting everything you could out of life is an anxiety disorder, and if you have that kind of shyness you should read this book.
11 comment| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 12, 2013
Some of the chapter would repeated information, but the book offered a good foundation of knowledge. Was a helpful primer.
on August 10, 2011
I studied Psychology at Purdue University, so did my wife. We both have stressful jobs, bills to pay and plenty on our plates. Recently, a doctor recommended this book as a tool to reduce stress, control anxiety and provide the tools necessary to control our nerves. Everyone faces the challenges described in this book (to varying degrees), why not equip yourself with the tools necessary to combat the tough times?

This book is laid out in a simple and easy-to-understand fashion, and offers tips and exercises for a LARGE variety of 'self-improvement' topics. You don't have to be dealing with anything specific to benefit from this book, it's a great tool for anyone who's felt the world on their shoulders. I strongly recommend this book to anyone who wants to work excessive worry.