Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 22, 2006 11:12:26 AM PDT
Solrina says:
Looks to me that the only difference in this and the widescreen edition is the collectible cryptex and Robert Langdon Journal. Is this a normal size working cryptex? I never bought the Special Lord of the Rings w/ the bookends and statues because they didn't really impress me. This would have to something special for an extra $37 bucks!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2006 4:05:02 AM PDT
turtlex says:
Actually - It looks like the same cryptex that the Nobel Collection sold.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2006 4:51:47 PM PDT
I doubt it is the same cryptex from the Noble collection as that collectable sells for nearly $200. If it were, it would definitely be worth the $37! :P In packs like this, it is sometimes best to wait until it comes out to see whats included.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2006 4:42:15 PM PST
Col. Sanders says:
I must agree, although it does look very much like the cryptext the Noble collection sells, I doubt that you'd get a good one for 37 dollars. I hope I'm wrong though, I really wanna get the cryptext :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2006 7:38:40 PM PST
When Noble first released the cryptex, they sold two models... the full size one that they still sell and a slightly smaller one with no box. This looks like the smaller one that sold for about 50 dollars. I chose to purchase the smaller one because it uses all five tumblers instead of only two like the full size. Everything else is the same. If the smaller one is included, then we're getting a deal.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2006 1:08:49 PM PST
J. Satkunam says:
I was at Wal Mart today and saw that the cryptex was a crummy plastic version that is the size of your palm, if that. Don't waste your money on the gift set if thats what you want.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2006 2:16:19 PM PST
Adam Cameron says:
I just got my box set in the mail today from Amazon and the cryptex is the $50 Noble model. It's not a cheap plastic version, it's all metal. Maybe you saw something different at Walmart. I think it's a pretty nice set. The cryptex is fully customizable. You can change each letter of the code to whatever you want.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2006 3:50:22 PM PST
Solrina says:
Thanks for the info Adam. I am glad to hear it is a metal cryptex. Think I'll have to get this set. How is the Robert Langdon Journal? Anything special?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2006 11:18:08 AM PST
Adam Cameron says:
The journal isn't all that special. I, as well as most people I'm sure get the set for the cryptex, but it's still a cool addition. It just kind of has all the various facts and info he uses to figure out what to do next. If you've read the book, it contains like all the random historical information stated throughout it. It also has stuff at the beginning of it from Angels & Demons, so it's kind of like his complete journal starting with that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2006 5:35:05 AM PST
Babs says:
Hi! Thank you for all the info you guys've shared here. I have one more question though - does anyone know, if this cryptex is the same as the one you get in the Honk Kong DTS Edition? Does anyone perhaps have any pics of what the US gift set looks like on the inside? I just HAVE TO buy this set, I just haven't figured it out yet, which one's the best choice ;) Best wishes to all!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2006 7:43:00 PM PST
Col. Sanders says:
I ordered the set yesterday...as soon as it comes i'll post if the cryptext is metal (In several cases the same box set may contain different variations of a product, due to short supply)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2006 12:55:27 PM PST
Col. Sanders says:
The Cryptext is metal, 50 bucks is well worth the set. The beginning of the journal contains information from Angels & Demons, the sequel to the Da Vinci code

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2006 6:14:09 PM PST
M. Mayes says:
Which set did you order Angel? The amazon U.S. version?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2006 9:12:25 PM PST
Col. Sanders says:
yeah the amazon us version

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2006 5:29:53 AM PST
Remco says:
The European version of this box-set also has the Illustrated Screenplay in this set. Is it also included in this American version?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2007 6:57:05 PM PST
Leira says:
Hi, could you please tell me how big the cryptex you recieved was? Was it bigger or smaller than your hand? Thanks! Oh, and how did it work out? Does it break easily? Thanks again!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2007 8:58:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 6, 2007 8:59:37 AM PDT
M. IMRAN says:
The cryptex in this giftset is about 4 inches long and judging from the cryptex that was shown in the movie, the cryptex in this giftset is the smaller version, as mentioned, it is abt 4 inches long. And no, it doesn't look like it can break easily. The entire cryptex body is made of brass except for the alphabet rings which is made of plastic. But the cryptex alone is worth getting.. I'm glad I bought this giftset!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 8:48:53 PM PST
rick says:
Angels

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 7:12:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 13, 2012 7:55:36 AM PDT
DC says:
It is not the same as seen in the movie it is a slightly smaller replica but is nicely made and not cheep plastic. I own it and did a review you can see pics of it I shot here in my gallery. It is cast metal with an antique look finish applied. http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/customer-gallery/AI7SKUG3LJ8VT

Also note the much more expensive replica around $200 has the marbling and the same font closest to the one used in the movie on the code discs, the one that comes in the box set does not, again small details stiil a great deal if you get the Cryptex in the DVD box set.

See my full review here.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/AI7SKUG3LJ8VT

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 9:00:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2012 9:01:44 AM PST
Dunno, but at $195 for the Noble Full-Size version I kinda think they smelled the suckers comin'. Yes, it's cool and all that but in no way is it worth $195 of my money.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  15
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Sep 22, 2006
Latest post:  Nov 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions