Any big improvement over the previous set?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 21, 2009 6:37:30 AM PDT
Dan Watkins says:
I literally just purchased the older set from Amazon last month. Am I missing out much if I don't bother upgrading to the new one?

Posted on Oct 21, 2009 9:19:24 AM PDT
Ben Rowland says:
The only notable improvements are the extended interviews and some tweaking to the picture and sound quality. I own the original set as well and it's comparable, so I wouldn't be in any rush to get this if you already have the first set.

Posted on Oct 21, 2009 11:30:21 PM PDT
Jacob Colson says:
And another feature is John Cleese commentary for all twelve episodes. Not something that was included with the previous Fawlty Towers set. I know some people don't like listening to commentary, but I'm having a blast reliving those twelve episodes.

Posted on Oct 28, 2009 5:19:31 PM PDT
leesgas says:
how come original set is 500 mins and new is 300 something?

Posted on Nov 18, 2009 9:10:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 11, 2009 11:55:18 PM PST
Kevin Graham says:
That 500 minutes is derived from the all the "bonus features" on the 2001 release. They include interviews with Cleese, Scales, Sachs, and a documentary called 'Torquay tourist guide'. Those extras are on the third disc of the 2001 release. Let us not forget that the previous release had director's commentary of John Howard Davies and Bob Spiers (first and second series, respectively). I have not listened to the 12 Cleese commentaries but if you're one of his fans I suggest you purchase this set. Currently it's very reasonably priced at around twenty five US dollars. It surely will go up in price in the long term given the recent release date.

Update: The Cleese commentaries are hilarious! He nitpicks every little mistake made, minor detail that stood out and even critiques his own actions, saying how he could have improved the "funny" in his dialogue deliverance 30+ years ago!! Well worth it to upgrade given the reasonable price.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2013 8:10:06 AM PST
K. Schuitema says:
John Cleese's commentary during the episodes often explain his creative process! As an aspiring writer, I am grateful for his insight. It is very generous of him, really.
I think the directors' comments during the episodes might also be helpful to any aspiring director.
I am a huge fan of Fawlty Towers and John Cleese!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Oct 21, 2009
Latest post:  Nov 23, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Fawlty Towers: The Complete Collection Remastered
Fawlty Towers: The Complete Collection Remastered by John Cleese (DVD - 2009)
4.8 out of 5 stars   (952)